• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamingKaiju

This virus is going to burn through Europe (inc U.K.) I fear. We haven’t reached the peak yet and no countries economy is safe the whole global economy is going to start stalling in a few weeks.

China debilitaty let this Virus spread outside of China.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
We need to kick china out of the world and frankly ban any travel from or towards there when they allow shit like this to happen.

The next disease is probably already in the make.

This explanation is missing one piece of info concerning what animals they eat and it is plain wrong about who eats wildlife animals.

They didn’t include eating pets like dogs and cats. And they’re wrong about only the rich and powerful eating them. The rich and powerful also tend to be educated and would avoid diseased animals.

No, it’s the poor that eat this shit and they do it for religious reasons, not just as tonics. It’s not a modern invention. It’s been around for a long time and was probably accelerated because of poor communist farming policy.

Who fucking cares if someone wants to go to Red Robin and eat.

How is that any fucking different then people packing out grocery stores due to panic.

In fact the chick eating at red robin is probably at less risk because there's not as many people around.

"Don't go to a restaurant, there's 30 PEOPLE THERE AND YOU MIGHT GET EXPOSED, NO GO TO THE GROCERY STORE INSTEAD THAT'S PACKED WITH HUNDREDS IN A TIGHT AREA, FUCKING MILLENNIALS RUINING EVERYTHING AGAIN ADSADASDAJADHASJDA"

what a crock of shit.

Kagey K

Banned
Checking alberta site brb

No change no update.

Only thing i see is reduced hours for malls.
11am to 7pm.
Like it matters
I missed half the press conference but we jumped to 56 cases overnight, not sure where the new cases are as I missed it. Schools and daycares are closed now too.

Sounds like first cases of community spread.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
- Italy: 3,590 new cases, 368 new deaths

Locking the country down clearly works then.

/sarcasm.

I suspect the long infection rate probably plays a factor. People likely got infected before the lockdown but were asymptomatic. the results of the lockdown might not play out for a while in terms of a reduction at this stage.

donfonzie

Gold Member
I mean, does it really matter?

If you get infected, even if you survive, you're a carrier. You can pass it on to people who can die. Elderly or not. It's not just about me or you getting sick. It's how many we can infect also. Everyone's life matters. Whether they are 20 or 85. These are people's loved ones regardless of age.

Very well said

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I gotta say, very encouraging White House press conference day. I woke up feeling pretty worried this morning, but it definitely instilled some hope that things aren't going to really fall apart.

Last edited by a moderator:

grkazan12

I gotta say, very encouraging press conference day. I woke up feeling pretty worried this morning, but it definitely instilled some hope that things aren't going to really fall apart.

Zefah are you talking about the White House press conference? I have to say that it's the only thing that's keeping me optimistic and hopeful. I've been a wreck this week on the thought of my parents contracting it :(

This explanation is missing one piece of info concerning what animals they eat and it is plain wrong about who eats wildlife animals.

They didn’t include eating pets like dogs and cats. And they’re wrong about only the rich and powerful eating them. The rich and powerful also tend to be educated and would avoid diseased animals.

No, it’s the poor that eat this shit and they do it for religious reasons, not just as tonics. It’s not a modern invention. It’s been around for a long time and was probably accelerated because of poor communist farming policy.

and you have a source for all of this?

Jtibh

Banned
I missed half the press conference but we jumped to 56 cases overnight, not sure where the new cases are as I missed it. Schools and daycares are closed now too.

Sounds like first cases of community spread.
I see the new numbers but cant see update on schools.
Just got an email from school about update for parents but no closure.
Must be brand new

Karma Jawa

This virus is going to burn through Europe (inc U.K.) I fear. We haven’t reached the peak yet and no countries economy is safe the whole global economy is going to start stalling in a few weeks.

Not sure if it was deliberate from China, but back of a fag packet maths would say that if the entire planet was infected, and based on the average 20% hospitalisation rate, we’d be looking at 210 million people in hospital.

The death rates are horrific, but the damage to society with so many incapacitated is worse. That’s not even taking into account the other 80% that would be too ill to work.

Even 5% unable to work would severely damage everyday society.

Kagey K

Banned
I see the new numbers but cant see update on schools.
Just got an email from school about update for parents but no closure.
Must be brand new
Press conference just ended. go to CTV Global or CBC Calgary sites and they all have it as breaking news on their front page.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Zefah are you talking about the White House press conference? I have to say that it's the only thing that's keeping me optimistic and hopeful. I've been a wreck this week on the thought of my parents contracting it :(

Yeah, the White House press conference. Sorry, forgot there are probably tons of press conferences happening every day around the world about this thing.

It is Sunday in the little kids in the next door apartment are loud as hell. I'm like glad school is tomorrow but then just saw my State just closed all schools. With 26 total cases. Yay long noisy week ahead.

Kenpachii

Pretty sure dogs where on that list and cats.

Well shit, my wife gets life threatening complications from acetominophen...

It sounds like NSAIDs are the ones that can worse COVID-19. She could use the components of those Sudafed blends (dextromethorphan/Robitussen, guaifenesin/Mucinex) but not acetominophen.

I know there are some medicines similar to aspirin that have a reduced anti-inflammatory response, but I'm not a doctor or pharmacist. You should ask your doctor what else to use for fever reduction and muscle pain.

Jtibh

Banned
It is Sunday in the little kids in the next door apartment are loud as hell. I'm like glad school is tomorrow but then just saw my State just closed all schools. With 26 total cases. Yay long noisy week ahead.
Welcome to the club.

And you want to procreate with 1000 women?

donfonzie

Gold Member
Yes, well said. Other than the part that's incorrect.

If you survive, you're not a carrier. Yes, there maybe a time frame where after recovery you're still contagious, but that's a short lived time frame (days to a week).

A day or week is more than enough time to infect a loved one.

It might not seem much in numbers and percentages, but we are talking about somebody's friend or family.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What was the gist of it?

There was more, but here were the highlights for me:

- Announcement that the feds changed the interest rate to 0.00 ~ 0.25%.
- Announced greatly expanded testing started next week with medical workers and elderly being given priority.
- Told the toilet papers to calm the fuck down and announced renewed commitment from grocer CEOs to remain open and stocked, so there's no need to buy more than a week's worth of supplies.

Tigerlord

Welp, hell continues. Another day at work, another shitshow. Still huge crowds, shelves still empty
at my job. Talked to the owner at work today when my shift was over and overheard him talking to the pharmacist
about deliveries of meds and other items, saying there might be a delay and him complaining about people panic
buying the shelves bare. Not to mention schools now closed in my area until April. New York state area.
Trying to take care of myself since I'm in contact with just about everyone that enters the store.

I'm still debating where the bottom is. I think the market will be mostly recovered in 6 months, but TVIX futures are up.

Hmm. . .

And damn, China has hot newscasters. Absolutely beautiful.

That was a Korean news channel and they all look like K-pop idols. I only said China because the report shows they are taking less of a hit on this.

Last edited:

Rbk_3

I mean, doesn’t this hurt China’s economy as much as anyone?

There was more, but here were the highlights for me:

- Announcement that the feds changed the interest rate to 0.00 ~ 0.25%.
- Announced greatly expanded testing started next week with medical workers and elderly being given priority.
- Told the toilet papers to calm the fuck down and announced renewed commitment from grocer CEOs to remain open and stocked, so there's no need to buy more than a week's worth of supplies.

It doesn't matter, banks are holding off on passing those low rates to consumers. I've tried to get my land loan refinanced and nowhere will do it.

That was a Korean news channel and they all look like K-pop idols.

Better yet, she won't have bat breath.

Last edited:

rykomatsu

It sounds like NSAIDs are the ones that can worse COVID-19. She could use the components of those Sudafed blends (dextromethorphan/Robitussen, guaifenesin/Mucinex) but not acetominophen.

I know there are some medicines similar to aspirin that have a reduced anti-inflammatory response, but I'm not a doctor or pharmacist. You should ask your doctor what else to use for fever reduction and muscle pain.

Yeah, you have celebrex which is a selective NSAID, but an NSAID nonetheless. But basically you either have Tylenol or NSAIDs for fever reduction. No other alternatives.

donfonzie

Gold Member
Welp, hell continues. Another day at work, another shitshow. Still huge crowds, shelves still empty
at my job. Talked to the owner at work today when my shift was over and overheard him talking to the pharmacist
about deliveries of meds and other items, saying there might be a delay and him complaining about people panic
buying the shelves bare. Not to mention schools now closed in my area until April. New York state area.
Trying to take care of myself since I'm in contact with just about everyone that enters the store.

That's a tough situation... be safe.

Hope you have spare gloves and masks. Keep washing your hands with soap whenever possible, and don't touch your face in any circumstance.

cryptoadam

Banned
I gotta say, very encouraging White House press conference day. I woke up feeling pretty worried this morning, but it definitely instilled some hope that things aren't going to really fall apart.

stay optimistic because US numbers are going to continue to go up. Now I don't think things will fall apart because it does sound like the team Trump put together has a plan for this. Dr Facui said its going to get worse rather than get better so you can tell they are putting on a brave face but are expecting a lot more to come.

But numbers are going to increase because there will be more test, thats just the nature of things. But more positive tests also mean more negative tests. But once you guys get close to Italy numbers oh boy the panic is going to start hitting the roof.

Jtibh

Banned
6SFO3CL.png

gamerMan

I've got to agree. I love that Trump told people to calm down. Everybody has stepped up even President Trump, but Pence has really really fucking stepped up. He is informative, calming, and concerned. I laughed when he was put in charge, but now I am really proud he is the Vice President and in charge of this pandemic.

Now I don't think things will fall apart because it does sound like the team Trump put together has a plan for this.
No doubt, the numbers are going to increased with increased throughput, but I think we have to be looking at the death rate because that is the most important number.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom