• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems in Italy Corona-Chan is chewing bubble gum and kicking ass, and she's all out of gum. Let's hope Italy is not an example of what a typical corona-chan outbreak in a western country is going to be (it probably is).

Our fates are sealed.

I foresee mass liver failure on the horizon. Paracetamol lingers in the liver for over 20 hours and if you overdose just a little you're well on your way to liver damage. This news is probably going to kill more people than it helps.

Last edited:
Back of my throat is starting to feel dry and I feel a bit strange.

Usually this is the sign of a cold coming on (I always get a sore throat, doctor refused to remove my tonsils as a kid). But I do feel a bit off. I'm hoping it's because it's getting late and I'm just imagining things. But goddamn, I really hope I wake up tomorrow feeling fine.

Usually this is the sign of a cold coming on (I always get a sore throat, doctor refused to remove my tonsils as a kid). But I do feel a bit off. I'm hoping it's because it's getting late and I'm just imagining things. But goddamn, I really hope I wake up tomorrow feeling fine.

boil some water, mix in lots of salt, let it dissolve, gargle every 3-4 hours. Also get some iodine and gargle that twice a day. Drink huge amounts of water.

This way you can completely skip the throat infection part of any viral infection.

Last edited:

Sakura

Anyone here actually leaving the house regularly? I've only left a couple times in the last week.

I did need to get some more essentials though I didn't get but really don't wanna test my luck at the store too much.
Going out for some yakiniku tonight...
- Italy: 3,590 new cases, 368 new deaths

Locking the country down clearly works then.

/sarcasm.
The people that died didn't get infected today. They would've been infected before the lockdown, same with a lot of the new cases. It's going to take some time.

Siri

Banned
Are any of you ‘having moments’.

My situation is just completely fucked up. I just went into the bathroom and started silently screaming. I was one second away from banging my head into the mirror.

I’m with my 85-year-old mother, and she simply does not understand what’s happening. She doesn’t have dementia. She just doesn’t ‘get’ the situation. I’ve basically given up on her at this point.

Honestly, I’m almost at the end of my tether.

My situation is just completely fucked up. I just went into the bathroom and started silently screaming. I was one second away from banging my head into the mirror.

I’m with my 85-year-old mother, and she simply does not understand what’s happening. She doesn’t have dementia. She just doesn’t ‘get’ the situation. I’ve basically given up on her at this point.

Yeah, I'm experiencing anxiety that I didn't think reasonable a week ago. I mean, having a small child really aggravates the situation a lot for me, especially with store shelves picked clean. At least it looks like that will be abated with stores staying open, but with modified hours to allow for restocking overnight and whatnot. I'd like to gtfo of NYC and head south to be with family, but my biggest fear is getting my parents or my in-laws sick on the chance that I or one of my family members is a an asymptomatic carrier. As the potential for curfews and ultimately lock-down measures, I could see bridges and tunnels closing, having no mobility at all and it really gets to me. As happy as I am that schools are finally closed here (should have been done a week ago, also), I worry so much about how to stay on top of my kid's education and disrupt some of her most impressionable years as little as possible. I know I'm not the only feeling this anxiety, but it's all very, very new to me.

Hang in there. Have you or anyone else at your work tested positive for it since your last update?

I'm trying to explain this to my mother as well. She thinks this is just a media scare and doesn't get it either.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I wonder if the media will ever promote how often people get sick and die in the US from the flu bug every year.

And this is just for the US.
The burden of influenza disease in the United States can vary widely and is determined by a number of factors including the characteristics of circulating viruses, the timing of the season, how well the vaccine is working to protect against illness, and how many people got vaccinated. While the impact of flu varies, it places a substantial burden on the health of people in the United States each year.

CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010.

Influenza-Chart-Infographic-high-res.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely feeling a little overwhelmed by it all.

We're prepared as much as is reasonable and no known cases in direct contact or anything but the whole media circus and everything else is for sure infringing on my mental well being. The upcoming week with everyone stuck at home while we're still supposed to be working remote.. Ugh.

Just want to sleep for a week really.

cryptoadam

Banned
Wow look at the difference between Germany and Italy

Almost no one in critical and 81% discharged. Its still a small sample size, but contrast that with Italy only 56% discharged.

cryptoadam

Banned
On Jan 23rd China lockedown Hubei.

On Feb 14th the cases started to drop, the deaths started to drop on Feb 24th.

Its gonna take probably 3 weeks to see the effects of any lockdown and a month for deaths. And this probably isn't the peak yet.

One thing about China we know their numbers were poo poo when they dropped 14K in one day because they "changed" the method how they count people. So those 14K cases in one day were probably actually spread over the previous days.

On Jan 23rd China lockedown Hubei.

On Feb 14th the cases started to drop, the deaths started to drop on Feb 24th.

Its gonna take probably 3 weeks to see the effects of any lockdown and a month for deaths. And this probably isn't the peak yet.

One thing about China we know their numbers were poo poo when they dropped 14K in one day because they "changed" the method how they count people. So those 14K cases in one day were probably actually spread over the previous days.

Yeah we'll likely get realistic data from Italy now so we may need to reevaluate things once we see their numbers peak.

China was weird since the cases AND deaths both started to decline around the same time, which doesn't really make sense with the lead time. Still have no clue where they were stuffing all those cases, since those little pop up hospitals were only holding a couple thousand people.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight

hang in there; the draconian measures that are starting to be implemented are all a good thing
take it day by day; try to find the positives..
this is bad but it could be way worse

autoduelist

Does anyone know early symptoms to expect? Like, is 'feel a bit strange' [dizzy, say, or just a little out of it] a symptom?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know early symptoms to expect? Like, is 'feel a bit strange' [dizzy, say, or just a little out of it] a symptom?

I think it's supposed to start with a sore throat and a cough, possibly with fever.

Last edited by a moderator:

autoduelist

IANAD, but it sounds like you are experiencing basic panic, maybe with stir crazy mixed in. You should consider taking a few days off from the internet, or, at least, ignoring the news and threads like this. You should be enjoying your time with your mom, not freaking out.

This is a stressful time, doubly so due to so much lack of knowledge combined with misinformation. Not everyone can handle that well, and some not at all.

But if you lived in a cabin in the woods, today is just another day. You wouldn't know the world was on edge. So find that cabin. Relax. Read a book, do a puzzle, watch a movie, play cards with mom.

I have mild anxiety only because I work in a Hospital. During stressful situations I am like a rock but usually things hit me afterwards. This time I have an ever so mild bit of anxiety. Not for me, but my wife that has had Bronchitis and Pneumonia since December. My kids are not out and about and when I go out I make sure to wash up and even wipe down things I bring in the house.

The Hospital has the place high alert. My area has had a few cases, one of which is down the road from my place. Also in my neighborhood a mid 50s lady died with similar symptoms after traveling to NY recently. Guess she was sick for a while.

Everyone I talk to in the Hospital Is a bit freaked out due to N95 make shortages. Going to be a fun few weeks, if I end up catching it I’ll have to be separated from my Family which is my only worry. I can deal with the ongoings of Hospital life.

it is all kinda exhausting really

new day numbers start on the tracker USA already has 97 new cases South Korea is down again with 74 new cases
and we count down to Germany, Spain, Iran, Italy, France, and everyone else who will spike again today.

We are about to hit 170,000 cases in about hours from now. since we are now at 10k-12k per day new cases we need some good news soon.

Jtibh

Banned
it is all kinda exhausting really

new day numbers start on the tracker USA already has 97 new cases South Korea is down again with 74 new cases
and we count down to Germany, Spain, Iran, Italy, France, and everyone else who will spike again today.

We are about to hit 170,000 cases in about hours from now. since we are now at 10k-12k per day new cases we need some good news soon.
Westworld season 3 startes tonight.
Thats all thw good news i have for you

Unfortunately this seems to be the case, it'll be long until everything goes back to normal. The world economy is fucked. Edit: and of course the people, but with time we will learn to be more careful and less people will suffer/die from this.

Last edited:
Japanese school kids telegraduate on Minecraft
From CNN’s Emiko Jozuka in Tokyo

Every March, Japanese school kids look forward to their graduation ceremonies and taking the next step in their lives.

But this year, as many Japanese schools have been closed for more than two weeks amid the coronavirus outbreak, some kids have had to come up with a more inventive way of celebrating the end of the school year.

A group of elementary school kids opted to hold a graduation ceremony themselves on Minecraft.

DeaDPo0L84

Walmart is shortening hours, I know it's not strictly to stop the virus and more to do with stress on workers and stock issues but come the fuck on, just start the mandatory quarantine and lets try to really get this shit under control. These big companies need to stop approaching these problems with the foundation of "what steps do we take to ensure we lose the least amount of money", instead approach it with "whats the best way to protect and take care of our associates".

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Walmart is shortening hours, I know it's not strictly to stop the virus and more to do with stress on workers and stock issues but come the fuck on, just start the mandatory quarantine and lets try to really get this shit under control. These big companies need to stop approaching these problems with the foundation of "what steps do we take to ensure we lose the least amount of money", instead approach it with "whats the best way to protect and take care of our associates".

I want to give you like 4 fires. Sorry that I can only give the one.

cryptoadam

Banned

And how do people get food or other products?

I agree with closing movies clubs etc... and limiting hours is good as well. I mean why not take advantage and have people whose jobs go on hold work at these companies or do other tasks?

Might try and order some food a few times this week to help my local restaurants actually.

autoduelist

Um, we need places like Walmart to commit to keeping supply chains up and running [which they have]. Having them up and running is practically mission critical, even if we had to go hard quarantine and had them delivering packages house to house or something.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

And how do people get food or other products?

I agree with closing movies clubs etc... and limiting hours is good as well. I mean why not take advantage and have people whose jobs go on hold work at these companies or do other tasks?

Might try and order some food a few times this week to help my local restaurants actually.

Shortages are already happening. During Trumps speech where he declared a national emergency the CEO of Wal-Mart already said they can't order enough to keep up with demand. Maybe temporarily instead of shipping these items to the stores which forces associates to be there and come face to face with thousands of peoples for 8-12 hours a day, they start shipping these items to people and set hard limits online to ensure hoarders don't ruin the process. To be perfectly honest I don't think there is a perfect solution to this current situation but forcing millions of people to come into contact with millions of other people clearly cannot be standard operating procedure moving forward until we reach a point where we can say for sure this is no longer a crisis.

In a day where I can order a flat screen tv and a pack of socks at 3pm and have it by 9pm the same day, I feel confident we can figure a way to get products to those who need them while putting the best interest of the actual workers first.

Grinchy

Banned
The already shitty Spectrum internet appears to be down in many areas. The outage maps shows a lot of the US having issues.

As more people are home with nothing to do, I expect it to get worse in the coming weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom