• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

nush

CHINESE TV: RESEARCH TEAM AT ZHEJIANG UNIVERSITY HAS FOUND AN EFFECTIVE DRUG TO TREAT PEOPLE WITH THE NEW CORONA VIRUS

:messenger_spock: in china we trust
giphy.gif

Ma-Yuan

This quarantine thing with 14 days doesnt add up. Unless they do tests every single day. It was reported you can transmit it without symptoms. Tests can show up negative and later on you have tests are positiv while you still might infect people already. I for sure would do a month. :-/ But there could be worse places to be in quarantine then a cruise ship.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
This quarantine thing with 14 days doesnt add up. Unless they do tests every single day. It was reported you can transmit it without symptoms. Tests can show up negative and later on you have tests are positiv while you still might infect people already. I for sure would do a month. :-/ But there could be worse places to be in quarantine then a cruise ship.
The people quarantined in the US have their wait time reset every time someone in the quarantine gets sick. So its 14 more days with each new case.

Last edited:

Doczu

The people quarantined in the US have their wait time reset every time someone in the quarantine gets sick. So its 14 more days with each new case.
So if this cruize ship was an US one on US waters it could technically go ~3700 x 13 days if one case would happen then? I know they would take them off water instead of holding them like that, but... It's possible?

Cybrwzrd

Banned

On late Saturday evening (Feb. 1), Tencent, on its webpage titled "Epidemic Situation Tracker", showed confirmed cases of novel coronavirus (2019nCoV) in China as standing at 154,023, 10 times the official figure at the time. It listed the number of suspected cases as 79,808, four times the official figure.
The number of cured cases was only 269, well below the official number that day of 300. Most ominously, the death toll listed was 24,589, vastly higher than the 300 officially listed that day.

Gp1

Also look alot like containers used at building/construction sides.

I think that's not containers per se, but they have a LOT of prefab building know-how there.

Basically the just bring the pieces from a factory and Lego them together with cranes.

Fake.

Real page has nothing to do with Tencent and looks different.

Edit: Seems like Tencent invested in them, but fake anyway.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Fake.

Real page has nothing to do with Tencent and looks different.

Edit: Seems like Tencent invested in them, but fake anyway.

We don't know if it is fake, the official numbers can't be trusted.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Well I don't trust a random internet picture of a monitor, from an unknown source, which depicts a different layout than the original website, either.

You haven't posted to this website in months, yet pop up in a thread about China "randomly" to shoot down a credible news source that is questioning the official narrative, which explains that the data appeared on Tencent's separate tracker in the article.

:pie_thinking:

So, no one died at Tiananmen Square too right? Mr. Wu Mao.

Last edited:
You haven't posted to this website in months, yet pop up in a thread about China "randomly" to shoot down a credible news source that is questioning the official narrative, which explains that the data appeared on Tencent's separate tracker in the article.

Yeah, no dude, fuck the chinese government.

1.) Please show me the website of "Tencents separate tracker" (or the website from that image), I couldn't find it, I ended up with the website that I linked you.

2.) Taiwan news maybe a credible news source, but the origin of this particular image isn't, it wasn't made by the Taiwan News.

3.) My point still stands: Why should I trust a random internet picture of a monitor, from an unknown source, which depicts a different layout than the original website, either.

vpance

I’m not sure I understand the purpose of spraying everything with disinfectant, the next sick person who breathes is going to spread it out again.

The virus can live on surfaces for X amount of time (hours, days?) so that must be the reason to do it.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
I can't believe the markets opened so high today. We have an unsubstantiated claim by some Chinese scientists, and the futures turned almost 400 points?

My initial concern was that markets are being propped, but my hope is that some insider info has people confident.

My boss is connected in China, not a conspiracy guy, but he's worried. The numbers he gave me yesterday line up almost perfectly with that 'fake' tencent thing. He also said that many in his circle think it came from the lab in Wuhan.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I can't believe the markets opened so high today. We have an unsubstantiated claim by some Chinese scientists, and the futures turned almost 400 points?

My initial concern was that markets are being propped, but my hope is that some insider info has people confident.

My boss is connected in China, not a conspiracy guy, but he's worried. The numbers he gave me yesterday line up almost perfectly with that 'fake' tencent thing. He also said that many in his circle think it came from the lab in Wuhan.

The markets really need to pull back, people are not even back to work in China yet in many places. As I mentioned before, without a supply of Chinese made parts, the global automotive manufacturing supply chain is teetering on the verge of collapse. All it takes is one part with no alternative to stop a production line and shut people out of work for days or weeks in a multitude of countries. I currently can't get a PCB out of China and it will shut down an OEM by the end of the month. And I am definitely not alone with how "just in time" the industry has become.

Yeah, no dude, fuck the chinese government.

1.) Please show me the website of "Tencents separate tracker" (or the website from that image), I couldn't find it, I ended up with the website that I linked you.

2.) Taiwan news maybe a credible news source, but the origin of this particular image isn't, it wasn't made by the Taiwan News.

3.) My point still stands: Why should I trust a random internet picture of a monitor, from an unknown source, which depicts a different layout than the original website, either.

I am leaning towards thinking maybe the screenshots are from a China mobile device or perhaps an app in China, as the main website looks different, but not wildly so.

15 seconds?

Last edited:

nush

The markets really need to pull back, people are not even back to work in China yet in many places. As I mentioned before, without a supply of Chinese made parts, the global automotive manufacturing supply chain is teetering on the verge of collapse. All it takes is one part with no alternative to stop a production line and shut people out of work for days or weeks in a multitude of countries. I currently can't get a PCB out of China and it will shut down an OEM by the end of the month. And I am definitely not alone with how "just in time" the industry has become.
Every year I'd check with the Chinese factories of their cut off date for orders if customers want goods delivered before CNY. Feed that info back to sales and OPs, only for it to be ignored becuse they don't want to do extra work in December becuse holidays. Then watch them panic for orders to go out in January becuse of CNY anyway, they expect thier goods to also ship the first day after CNY as well.

I imagine there are a lot of companies in a panic right now with the extended holiday and who knows when the whole supply chain for the factories will be back up?

Every year I'd check with the Chinese factories of their cut off date for orders if customers want goods delivered before CNY. Feed that info back to sales and OPs, only for it to be ignored becuse they don't want to do extra work in December becuse holidays. Then watch them panic for orders to go out in January becuse of CNY anyway, they expect thier goods to also ship the first day after CNY as well.

I imagine there are a lot of companies in a panic right now with the extended holiday and who knows when the whole supply chain for the factories will be back up?

Yeah it's going to be interesting. I saw a report that said China is using like 200,000 less barrels of oil per day than average due to this. That will have impact across the board over time if this keeps up.

Do you think anyone will be able to take advantage of this to push locally sourced parts/options instead? The USA isn't China and doubt we can pump out a bunch of factories in weeks to meet demand, but if this ends up lasting 2-3-4 months, it might be an option.

Tesla stocks dropped since they're not going to meet their China numbers now due to this.

Poor baby.

YIKES. I saw a report the other day that a baby was born to an infected mother and the baby was OK... I wonder if this is the same kid, or a different one (I assume a lot of babies are born every day over there).

nush

Yeah it's going to be interesting. I saw a report that said China is using like 200,000 less barrels of oil per day than average due to this. That will have impact across the board over time if this keeps up.

Do you think anyone will be able to take advantage of this to push locally sourced parts/options instead? The USA isn't China and doubt we can pump out a bunch of factories in weeks to meet demand, but if this ends up lasting 2-3-4 months, it might be an option.

A limited range of products maybe, but I'd expect business to look at sourcing from other SE Asia countries first.

Cybrwzrd

Banned

The Tariffs have certainly started a push for reshoring of some items, or transfers to other facilities, but I think in the long term this may have a profound effect on sourcing decisions. Moving a part in the auto world from one supplier to another isn't as simple a task as it is to say, buy a different brand of dish soap. It can require months of product validation testing, even for something as simple as foam tape.

Dthomp

CHEESE IS BACK OFF THE MENU, BOYS

I'm already worried about this spreading in the US because of my weak immune system (T1 diabetic) but Wisconsin is a little too close to ND for my tastes...Might be time to start stocking up on supplies and hermit up a bit.

lyan

I wish we knew the max # of cases they can/are testing per day.

Are most of the test kits ONLY in Wuhan, thus limiting the # of testing in other regions?

I suppose it is safe to assume the country is running tests at full capacity, since it was 4k tests per day few days/about a week ago in Wuhan when the confirmed cases climb at ~2k daily, probably doubled to ~8k tests per day now.

Codes 208

I'm already worried about this spreading in the US because of my weak immune system (T1 diabetic) but Wisconsin is a little too close to ND for my tastes...Might be time to start stocking up on supplies and hermit up a bit.
As a minnesotan who lives in the east metro (barely 15 mins from hudson, Wisconsin)
how do you think i feel about this? Lol

How controlled are you sugars? A weakened immune system will result from shitty blood sugar levels, not necessarily because of being type 1 so you may be ok to survive the apocalypse for a little longer! Until your insulin runs out or you run out of sugar to a low.

Source - type 1 diabetic extraordinaire

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
So if this cruize ship was an US one on US waters it could technically go ~3700 x 13 days if one case would happen then? I know they would take them off water instead of holding them like that, but... It's possible?
Yes, they would only be pulled off the boat if they get sick.

Currently the quarantine got extended for one of the groups that returned from china when that little girl got sick.

4PM update (early!)

All said in done though, that's still a new daily record of 3831 cases today.

Sunday: 2825
Monday: 3235
Tuesday: 3831
Wednesday: ????

Almost time for today's first entry... what do we think the #s will be? Can we guess?

New cases, since the 1st:

2/1 - Saturday: 2589
2/2 - Sunday: 2825
2/3 - Monday: 3235
2/4 - Tuesday: 3831
2/5 - Wednesday: ????

Deaths, since the 1st:

2/1 - Saturday: 45
2/2 - Sunday: 57
2/3 - Monday: 64
2/4 - Tuesday: 65

My prediction for today based off my ass is:

New cases: 4300
New deaths: 73

I feel like there is going to be a spike in deaths soon, since we're approaching 10 days from when they started reporting over 1000 new cases per day. It's been reported that 20% of all cases come down with serious symptoms, and it seems like 9-14% of those end up dying. *IF* that holds, it means tomorrow we could see between 160-247 people die, and it'd get higher each day thereafter. Will it happen? Will China be honest if it happens? Hell if I know.

nush

This is all for show people. Remember communist countries always do shit like this just to keep people working, and make it seem like they are doing something.

The fumigator they are using in the first Tweet are typically used to gas out rats in sewers and bushes. The Secon one with the truck, that truck is used to spray misted water to suppress dust in the air in cities where there is a lot of construction.
I have doubts they are the right tools for the job, but they both make big clouds.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

So, no one died at Tiananmen Square too right? Mr. Wu Mao.
Dude, this is what I was telling you about confirmation bias. You can't just start at a conclusion (the data is fake) and then search for evidence to fit your conclusion. You end up with a higher chance of falling for fake news. You then accused a perfectly normal poster of shilling for China. It's messing with your brain.

China is shady as fuck, but that's not evidence. The time to solidly believe something is when you have better proof than just a suspicion.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Almost time for today's first entry... what do we think the #s will be? Can we guess?

New cases, since the 1st:

2/1 - Saturday: 2589
2/2 - Sunday: 2825
2/3 - Monday: 3235
2/4 - Tuesday: 3831

Deaths, since the 1st:

2/1 - Saturday: 45
2/2 - Sunday: 57
2/3 - Monday: 64
2/4 - Tuesday: 65

My prediction for today based off my ass is:

New cases: 4300
New deaths: 73

I feel like there is going to be a spike in deaths soon, since we're approaching 10 days from when they started reporting over 1000 new cases per day. It's been reported that 20% of all cases come down with serious symptoms, and it seems like 9-14% of those end up dying. *IF* that holds, it means tomorrow we could see between 160-247 people die, and it'd get higher each day thereafter. Will it happen? Will China be honest if it happens? Hell if I know.

New cases: 4400
New deaths: 70

Dropped from the sky will be next probably.

this and the hospital is all peacocking - just like NK and their military parades

Last edited:
New cases: 4400
New deaths: 70

Bastard!

2987 new cases (Hubei only)
70 new deaths (Hubei only)

Going off the old pattern, could be 1-3 more deaths outside Hubei and probably 500-700(?) cases outside. Interesting that there are less cases than yesterday. Running out of test kits? Has it plateaued?

Will be close! Good guestimate though!

Last edited:

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Bastard!

2987 new cases (Hubei only)
70 new deaths (Hubei only)

Going off the old pattern, could be 1-3 more deaths outside Hubei and probably 500-700(?) cases outside. Interesting that there are less cases than yesterday. Running out of test kits? Has it plateaued?

Will be close! Good guestimate though!

is it cheating if I may or may not be the grim reaper

113 patients in Hubei province were discharged yesterday, taking the total in China to more than 1,000

This is good.. I guess. The discharged has remained above the killed each day for a bit. BUT it's still not nearly high enough to predict a low mortality rate. 70 vs 100 is still a 30% mortality rate (obviously it likely takes people longer to be cured and released than killed, but still)

The number of people in serious and critical condition in Hubei province has risen to 3,084, up from 2,520 yesterday

Grim. 500+ into serious/critical. So 3084 people are current AT RISK of dying. My prediction of 160-247 dying tomorrow doesn't seem so far fetched at the moment.

Ugh. The national report @ 4PM will again be interesting. ASSUMING ITS TRUE, if they keep preventing deaths and/or exponential case growth, maybe they did do a good job containing the worst of it to Wuhan/Hubei.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom