• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh. The national report @ 4PM will again be interesting. ASSUMING ITS TRUE, if they keep preventing deaths and/or exponential case growth, maybe they did do a good job containing the worst of it to Wuhan/Hubei.
I don't think it can be contained unless serious measures are taken elsewhere. If the news of 5 million leaving wuhan ,upon quarantine announcement, are true.

I don't think it can be contained unless serious measures are taken elsewhere. If the news of 5 million leaving wuhan ,upon quarantine announcement, are true.

I think if the other areas are taking precautions ahead of time and tracking down/isolating people, they can keep it from becoming as bad as Wuhan, since they sat on their hands for far too long.

Even a mini-outbreak in the states or elsewhere can probably be contained relatively easily since ALL the focus will be on that one area/city/etc. I am hoping this is why the #s in the rest of China are reported low. Also, if the #s are low, they can better take care of the critically ill and prevent the deaths (that we're not seeing).

It could all be a sham and maybe everyone over there is already dead, but we can only go off the info we have right not sadly.

Yoda

this gets sadder and sadder everyday

I guesss we need to hope for hot weather season because this shit needs to slow the fuck down

I've heard this from a few people, but given that we've seen cases in countries at much lower latitudes than Wuhan, does it hold that the virus has trouble spreading in warmer environments?

nush

QUOTED Text.
Typically, when you report on something developing so quickly, you need to be there or at least have more than hearsay from 'friends' you talk to on social media and a green screen running stock footage behind you.

My comment.

I've seen this Daniel guy videos posted quite a few times now in different places. He's on the China payroll so wont upset the authorities in case his high end bar in central Shenzhen gets shut down. 20 minute video on the "China Bear" western Youtubers, only the last 3 minutes are relevant in demonstrating why just because a Youtuber is saying pro China stuff does not make it actually a true representation of what's happening.

lyan

So now only one border from the mainland to Hong Kong is open and anyone passing through is quarantined for 2 weeks. To all intents and purposed the China mainland to Hong Kong border is closed.
Only effective from 8th Feb midnight, gold rush time now.

nush

Only effective from 8th Feb midnight, gold rush time now.
Those border crossings can be hell at the best of times, even when all the crossings are open. I'd love to see a picture of how backed up the queue is. On some weekend and Friday crossings it's taken me between 1-2 hours to get through.

GHG

If the death rate is 2% then 98% people recover, no?

Not all 98% of people are recovering.

It's too early to say considering the long incubation period.

Well I meant how fast do people recover from infection, assuming you have a decent immune system.

Varies wildly from just a couple of days with mild cold like symptoms to full blown pneumonia.

While there are clear higher risk factors (age, general health, smoker, etc), its not well researched enough yet to be able to say anything other than you don't know until you get it.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Dude, this is what I was telling you about confirmation bias. You can't just start at a conclusion (the data is fake) and then search for evidence to fit your conclusion. You end up with a higher chance of falling for fake news. You then accused a perfectly normal poster of shilling for China. It's messing with your brain.

China is shady as fuck, but that's not evidence. The time to solidly believe something is when you have better proof than just a suspicion.

I'm not searching for data to support my "conclusion".

It's like with the Iran Airlines flight, there was enough smoke to question the official narrative, and low and behold, I wasn't wrong. Was that my confirmation bias messing with my brain when I claimed it was shot down?

I literally said I don't know if the Tencent data is fake. It very well could be. But the source at least is generally credible. That's the problem, authoritarian countries like China or Iran are never forthcoming with real data until it is too late. Combine that with the concept of "face", and you have a tangled mess of bullshit to deal with.

And yeah, I did accuse him/her of shilling. Judging by his/her post history, it doesn't seem like a perfectly normal poster. Disappeared after the schism completely, then came back to fuss over a sex game on Steam, then randomly popped up in this thread after nearly a year of inactivity.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I've heard this from a few people, but given that we've seen cases in countries at much lower latitudes than Wuhan, does it hold that the virus has trouble spreading in warmer environments?
Its currently not spreading in Australia (late summer right now)? I believe most of their cases are travelers from China.

Not all 98% of people are recovering.

It's too early to say considering the long incubation period.

Varies wildly from just a couple of days with mild cold like symptoms to full blown pneumonia.

While there are clear higher risk factors (age, general health, smoker, etc), its not well researched enough yet to be able to say anything other than you don't know until you get it.

5 days is not a long incubation period... Remember 14 days is a rare outlier, which should only be used to insure you are keeping people in quarantine long enough.

Last edited:
what, how the hell did this kill him?

absolutely terrible, rip

> whistleblower

> China

> dies

giphy.gif

keraj37

Contacted PSN to add his card back to his account
RIP Dr. Li

Is it strange that this state run news agency is reporting on these things? 🤔

So that would put into fairy tales idea that that virus kills only weak, old or babies - this guy looks very young and on top of that is a medical doctor, so normal assumption would be, had very healthy life.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
So that would put into fairy tales idea that that virus kills only weak, old or babies - this guy looks very young and on top of that is a medical doctor, so normal assumption would be, had very healthy life.

You misunderstand how things work. Deaths of people less than 40 are rare but anything can happen. You are still less likely to die if you are less than 60 and don't have a comorbidity.

Also, every person living in China is compromised due to their air quality. Also this dude could have been a heavy smoker like 60% of other men in China.

In other words, we cannot look at a shit hole like China and know how it will work in the 1rst world.

Last edited:

keraj37

Contacted PSN to add his card back to his account
You misunderstand how things work. Deaths of people less than 40 are rare but anything can happen. You are still less likely to die if you are less than 60 and don't have a comorbidity.

Also, every person living in China is compromised due to their air quality. Also this dude could have been a heavy smoker like 60% of other men in China.

In other words, we cannot look at a shit hole like China and know how it will work in the 1rst world.

I agree with you - all I said was in conditional mode. Still quite a death for a young medical doctor. Makes me think of real strenght of this virus. But also could be retaliation from communist party.

I agree with you - all I said was in conditional mode. Still quite a death for a young medical doctor. Makes me think of real strenght of this virus. But also could be retaliation from communist party.
Think about it, none of this could be happening if China didn't try to cover this like like SARS did in the beginning. You actually think they want to kill him AFTER he is proven right?

Last edited:
This guy was apparently only 34, what the shit
and seems like was receiving proper care with bed and all. Newer patients in overrun hospitals will likely have to sit in hallways without much assistance.

For someone so young and seemingly healthy to go down, seems worrisome unless you go by conspiracies that the illness wasn't the cause.

edit: regards possibility of smoking, do we know if younger generations haven't abandoned smoking in china as has happened elsewhere?

Last edited:
and seems like was receiving proper care with bed and all. Newer patients in overrun hospitals will likely have to sit in hallways without much assistance.

For someone so young and seemingly healthy to go down, seems worrisome unless you go by conspiracies that the illness wasn't the cause.

edit: regards possibility of smoking, do we know if younger generations haven't abandoned smoking in china as has happened elsewhere?

The air quality is so shitty in urban areas of China that it is probably like smoking a pack a day even if you don't smoke actual cigarettes.

vpance

Think about it, none of this could be happening if China didn't try to cover this like like SARS did in the beginning. You actually think they want to kill him AFTER he is proven right?

Him dying just brings more attention to it. Then again, state run media hasn't seemed shy to report on him either. But maybe the cat's out of the bag already so they're forced to eat more shit.

Holy shit.

80+ million more on lock down, 2 more Chinese provinces.

Mikado

It's nuts that there are like three orders of magnitude (or more) in terms of number of cases between China and the next most affected country (being Japan, and half of those cases are seemingly from that cruise ship).

Considering that - for example - Canada is refusing to take any steps to prevent spread and yet there are hardly any cases there despite a sizable demographic with travel ties to mainland China?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom