• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoJ

Serious question. Especially for those pushing the idea we all need the vaccine....

I am someone who is 50/50 on whether or not I want to get it. I think it was rushed, am not an anti-vaxxer and get my flu shot every year. But have concerns with this vaccine.

The argument I am seeing is that everyone needs to take it, even if you aren't part of a vulnerable population. My question is why? The point of a vaccine is to trigger a response in the body of the person taking the vaccine so that the immune system develops a response to the virus and can therefore fight it off if they contract it in day to day life.

If I have a .01% chance of dying from this, that tells me that my body is likely going to be naturally capable of fighting this virus off without a vaccine. The same cannot be said for the elderly and/or the immunocompromised. What good does it do for me to take the vaccine at that point if those who truly have a higher mortality risk have taken it? They are protected.

What am I missing here in this argument? This is a serious question and not an attempt to be dismissive because I simply don't follow the logic.

Serious question. Especially for those pushing the idea we all need the vaccine....

I am someone who is 50/50 on whether or not I want to get it. I think it was rushed, am not an anti-vaxxer and get my flu shot every year. But have concerns with this vaccine.

The argument I am seeing is that everyone needs to take it, even if you aren't part of a vulnerable population. My question is why? The point of a vaccine is to trigger a response in the body of the person taking the vaccine so that the immune system develops a response to the virus and can therefore fight it off if they contract it in day to day life.

If I have a .01% chance of dying from this, that tells me that my body is likely going to be naturally capable of fighting this virus off without a vaccine. The same cannot be said for the elderly and/or the immunocompromised. What good does it do for me to take the vaccine at that point if those who truly have a higher mortality risk have taken it? They are protected.

What am I missing here in this argument? This is a serious question and not an attempt to be dismissive because I simply don't follow the logic.
It's about reducing spread. People with immune responses rarely, and I mean rarely transmit viruses. Plus, this is something that escapes a lot of people, theres more to this than life and death. Thats a very overly simplistic binary way of seeing things. You wouldn't want to isolate alone for 14 days, thats boring as fuck. And I bet you like to taste and smell things. Do you workout? Do you like having 100% of your lung capacity? etc. etc.

FunkMiller

Not everyone can have a vaccine. Vaccines are not 100% effective. A very small minority will not be protected.

Disease cannot spread if a vast majority are successfully vaccinated, preventing the virus from spreading, and hurting those who are not protected by the vaccine.

We want to stop covid as much as we can. This requires mass vaccination the same way smallpox and polio did.

Ultimately, it’s not just about you, it’s about everyone.

Last edited:

The general theory is that there will be people at risk who can't take the vaccine for various reasons, and people who can take it but don't increase the likelihood that the people who can't take it will catch the disease.

NOTE: I'm not advocating for a mandatory vaccine, so please don't respond to me as if I was, like the last time I said something similar to this.

Last edited:

Joe T.

Because we accept that this is a chaotic situation,

A virus is not responsible for that chaos. The people who accepted a terrible diagnostic tool and then failed to question the massive statistical fraud, propaganda and outright fake stories are responsible for that. You're in that very large crowd.

There's been a carpet bombing in this thread today by the truth averse and there are no solid arguments to be found anywhere in the posts. No one is challenging the fact that this piss poor "gold standard" of testing has deceived the world. This pandemic is based on a mountain of lies and exaggerations. Change my mind.

FunkMiller

A virus is not responsible for that chaos. The people who accepted a terrible diagnostic tool and then failed to question the massive statistical fraud, propaganda and outright fake stories are responsible for that. You're in that very large crowd.

There's been a carpet bombing in this thread today by the truth averse and there are no solid arguments to be found anywhere in the posts. No one is challenging the fact that this piss poor "gold standard" of testing has deceived the world. This pandemic is based on a mountain of lies and exaggerations. Change my mind.

I can’t change the mind of someone so terrified of a virus and having to take a vaccine.

...oh, and I deleted all of that post because it didn’t make much sense. Amazed you jumped on it so fast! 😄

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Not everyone can have a vaccine. Vaccines are not 100% effective. A very small minority will not be protected.

Disease cannot spread if a vast majority are successfully vaccinated, preventing the virus from spreading, and hurting those who are not protected by the vaccine.

We want to stop covid as much as we can. This requires mass vaccination the same way smallpox and polio did.

Ultimately, it’s not just about you, it’s about everyone.

Are you seriously equating covid to smallpox and polio?

Please stop, it makes you sound ridiculous.

Banned
I'm not taking a vaccine to fix a lie. The truth can do that just fine.

I don’t know the lifestyle you live, but the potential problem I see is airlines, mass transit, countries, events, government buildings, etc will probably require proof that you’ve taken it before you enter.

While I don’t know the future, I can definitely see this happening with what has gone down so far.

Are you seriously equating covid to smallpox and polio?

Please stop, it makes you sound ridiculous.
Well hold on. Obviously he knows it's not as deadly. Just that it's a disease that is spreading badly. I've compared it to the Spanish flu cause its quite analogous but I'm aware its not as bad as the Spanish flu. Just drawing a comparison to illustrate a point.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It's about reducing spread. People with immune responses rarely, and I mean rarely transmit viruses. Plus, this is something that escapes a lot of people, theres more to this than life and death. Thats a very overly simplistic binary way of seeing things. You wouldn't want to isolate alone for 14 days, thats boring as fuck. And I bet you like to taste and smell things. Do you workout? Do you like having 100% of your lung capacity? etc. etc.

The vast - vast vast vast - majority of people recover from COVID just fine. These symptoms are blasted in the media but for a virus that has probably infected close to 1 billion people, if this stuff was common, then trust me, we would know. A lot of people, upwards of 20-50%, don't even know they have it. 95% of the rest get a fever and a cough and get over it. And the vast majority of the rest who end up in the hospital recover.

It's perfectly reasonable to look at the risk and say, you know what, I'd rather just get COVID than take this untested beta vaccine. hell, a lot of people who would be saying that already got COVID.

Well hold on. Obviously he knows it's not as deadly. Just that it's a disease that is spreading badly. I've compared it to the Spanish flu cause its quite analogous but I'm aware its not as bad as the Spanish flu. Just drawing a comparison to illustrate a point.

It's not analogous to the Spanish Flu at all actually. The Spanish Flu killed healthy 20 and 30 year olds regularly. This thing kills 80 year olds with COPD.

A lot of us have looked at the data and know the risks of this virus, based on what has actually happened. Using CNN normie fear mongering is not going to change our minds.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

Honestly my patience with the morons is just done. A constant stream of disingenuous bullshit.

The vast - vast vast vast - majority of people recover from COVID just fine. These symptoms are blasted in the media but for a virus that has probably infected close to 1 billion people, if this stuff was common, then trust me, we would know. A lot of people, upwards of 20-50%, don't even know they have it. 95% of the rest get a fever and a cough and get over it. And the vast majority of the rest who end up in the hospital recover.

It's perfectly reasonable to look at the risk and say, you know what, I'd rather just get COVID than take this untested beta vaccine. hell, a lot of people who would be saying that already got COVID.

It's not analogous to the Spanish Flu at all actually. The Spanish Flu killed healthy 20 and 30 year olds regularly. This thing kills 80 year olds with COPD.

A lot of us have looked at the data and know the risks of this virus, based on what has actually happened. Using CNN normie fear mongering is not going to change our minds.
Dude... I literally said in my post I'm aware its not as bad as the Spanish flu. Its comparable as the last big global pandemic and its trends and peaks track with covid so far. Thats all I meant. I know you have your talking points man I really do but its important to read and understand a post before replying.

Airbus Jr

Banned

Now hold on right there

Are you accusing the medical expertise and laboratory screening with rapid test etc diagnosis for Covid 19 as fake?

Followed by another accusations that patients and casualties data and report are also fake and lies/ made up story ?

Whats your source and evidence for this claim ?

Hopefully not this

Trust me bro

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Dude... I literally said in my post I'm aware its not as bad as the Spanish flu. Its comparable as the last big global pandemic and its trends and peaks track with covid so far. Thats all I meant. I know you have your talking points man I really do but its important to read and understand a post before replying.

Who cares? COVID tracks with the seasonal flu too, and most people who aren't at severe risk from influenza don't take the vaccine. COVID is far closer to regular old flu than it is to Spanish flu or smallpox or polio.

That's the key point here, there's this demand we treat this illness like something it is not, to the point where now they are demanding we take this untested beta vaccine. If COVID was melting skin off peoples' faces, then yea, people would be lining up to take it. But now, eh... it's a fever and a cough. I think taking this vaccine requires a lot of trust in the institutions administering it, and well, they just spent 9 months lying to us pretty much nonstop and destroying our lives.

Last edited:

Joe T.

I can’t change the mind of someone so terrified of a virus and having to take a vaccine.

This attempt to paint me as the fearful one won't work. I went looking to get infected in late summer. I watched my very vulnerable father, inside one of the hardest hit long term care facilities in the country, survive and come out the other side better than before.

Covid is an amalgamation of other diseases like rhinovirus, flu, heart conditions and even cancers - this is what you believe when you accept the daily case numbers, even if you don't want to admit it.

The average age of death with/by covid is above life expectancy here in the hardest hit provinces of Canada. To be fearful right now is to essentially be scared of life itself, a covid vaccine will not save you from that.

Whats your source and evidence for this claim ?

The doctors/public health officials you trust (skip to 14 second mark):

Airbus Jr

Banned

You sounds like really big conspiracy theorist there buddy

Newsflash for you, actual people died from Covid-19

This virus is real and not a fake news

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Covid is an amalgamation of other diseases like rhinovirus, flu, heart conditions and even cancers

tenor.gif

The way you describe this disease shows that youre not qualified to enter this disscusion

Last edited:

You sounds like really big conspiracy theorist there buddy

Newsflash for you, actual people died from Covid-19

This virus is real and not a fake news

CDC can confirm with certainty 6% of the deaths attributed to COVID were definitely from COVID, that's a mortality rate that in no way justifies lockdowns and mask mandates and other things that WHO and CDC guidelines found were NOT RECCOMENDED measures in even severe pandemics. The H1N1 virus was real as well, we didn't lock down, put stupid masks on, etc.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
CDC can confirm with certainty 6% of the deaths attributed to COVID were definitely from COVID, that's a mortality rate that in no way justifies lockdowns and mask mandates and other things that WHO and CDC guidelines found were NOT RECCOMENDED measures in even severe pandemics. The H1N1 virus was real as well, we didn't lock down, put stupid masks on, etc.

I agree theres not enough people died out there from covid 19 so far

Lets just chill, ignore the safety procedures and wait for more casualties so hopefully more people would take this thing more seriously

Last edited:
I agree theres not enough people died out there from covid 19

Another person who doesn't read people's posts. If we counted World War II deaths the way we did COVID deaths every trooper who was in World War II died of World War II, even if they died decades later.

carlosrox

Banned
probably have no relatives or loved ones in the high risk category (and even if you did, you wouldn’t be worried about them), and have read enough stuff on social media from people just like you, to convince yourself covid’s not really that much of an issue.

I mean, most people have grandparents and many people have older parents so that was a smart way of injecting everybody full of fear. I know it semi worked on me for about a week or two til my senses kicked in and realized it was all bullshit and me and my family have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than getting covid/dying of it.

Here in Vancouver BC the fear mongering isn't quite as bad as it is in say the US but it still exists.

My parents are old enough to be "at risk" and even they don't really give two fucks about COVID. We OBEY the shitty idiotic rules they have in place here when we have to but other than that we live life pretty normally here. They're not afraid and neither am I. Same with most people I talk to over here. Most people I talk to over here think something is up and we're being jerked around and lied to in some fashion but I suppose that makes all these random people of different races, ages, and beliefs "flat earthers" right?

I've said before you can have your little pandemic if you want to, but you're seriously stupid if you think that everything is copacetic with all the ridiculous nonsensical guidelines, the narrative they're pushing, the fear mongering, the advertisements, and the NON STOP sensationalism attached to this thing.

If you think this is all completely normal then you are simply gullible and have way, way too much faith in the powers that be. Y'know, the very same powers that don't even obey their own fucking guidelines a lot of the time.

FunkMiller

I mean, most people have grandparents and many people have older parents so that was a smart way of injecting everybody full of fear. I know it semi worked on me for about a week or two til my senses kicked in and realized it was all bullshit and me and my family have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than getting covid/dying of it.

Here in Vancouver BC the fear mongering isn't quite as bad as it is in say the US but it still exists.

My parents are old enough to be "at risk" and even they don't really give two fucks about COVID. We OBEY the shitty idiotic rules they have in place here when we have to but other than that we live life pretty normally here. They're not afraid and neither am I. Same with most people I talk to over here. Most people I talk to over here think something is up and we're being jerked around and lied to in some fashion but I suppose that makes all these random people of different races, ages, and beliefs "flat earthers" right?

I've said before you can have your little pandemic if you want to, but you're seriously stupid if you think that everything is copacetic with all the ridiculous nonsensical guidelines, the narrative they're pushing, the fear mongering, the advertisements, and the NON STOP sensationalism attached to this thing.

If you think this is all completely normal then you are simply gullible and have way, way too much faith in the powers that be. Y'know, the very same powers that don't even obey their own fucking guidelines a lot of the time.

You‘ve had only 692 deaths in BC, and only 44 thousand cases - because of those shitty idiotic rules. It’s barely touched you. So you get to be Jonny Big Balls about how unscary It is, don’t you? Good for you, champ 👍

Last edited:

Joe T.

A large chunk of it quoted below:

The approval of several Covid-19 vaccines is an impressive technological development that should rapidly end the lockdowns and allow normal life to resume. But authorities like Anthony Fauci and Bill Gates argue that lockdown restrictions may have to continue through the fall and even into 2022, notwithstanding the catastrophic harms the lockdowns have caused, especially to young people, the poor and the working classes.

The imminent dissemination of vaccines can help end lockdowns by the end of January. The Great Barrington Declaration, which we wrote with Martin Kulldorff of Harvard Medical School, provides the key idea: focused protection of people who face a high risk of mortality should they become infected.

The risk of mortality from Covid-19 infection is now well established by seroprevalence studies conducted world-wide. Seroprevalence studies measure a lower bound on the number of people who have been infected. There is a sharp age gradient in the survival rate after infection. At least 99.95% of people under 70 survive infection; that figure is only 95% for 70 and older.

Covid-19 is thus especially deadly for the old and others with chronic conditions. But the lockdowns are deadly as well. The harms include plummeting childhood vaccination, worse cardiovascular disease outcomes, and less cancer screening, to name a few. It’s impossible to quantify the total deaths they have caused and will cause, but it’s safe to conclude that for people under 70 without chronic conditions—especially children and young adults—Covid-19 is far less deadly than a lockdown. For children, the cessation of in-person schooling has led to severe learning losses, which are predicted to shorten the lifespans of affected students. Among 25- to 44-year-olds, the CDC reports a 26% increase in excess all-cause mortality relative to past years, though less than 5% of 2020 deaths have been due to Covid-19.

Given these facts, the Great Barrington Declaration calls for focused protection for the vulnerable. That means directing limited resources, now including vaccines, to shield these people from infection. For the rest of the population, it calls for an end to lockdown. Tens of thousands of epidemiologists, public health scholars, and physicians have signed on to this plan. But it has been dismissed by others who argue that perfect protection of the vulnerable is impossible.

Some 50 million people in the U.S. are over 65. The number of vaccine doses expected to be available over the next two months will be enough to vaccinate every elderly person who wants to be inoculated, as well as health-care workers and other vulnerable people. With a 90%-plus efficacy rate in protecting against Covid-19 symptoms, we will achieve near-perfect focused protection.

At that point, the lockdown should end immediately and forever.
For healthy young and middle-aged people, especially for minorities and the poor, the lockdown’s harm far outstrips the harms from infection.

Focused protection is the best strategy for using the vaccine. A combination of vaccine-induced immunity among the vulnerable and natural immunity among the less vulnerable will provide a solid wall of protection against a recurrence of the epidemic in 2021. For the vulnerable, the vaccine will protect against Covid. For the less vulnerable, the vaccine will protect against lockdown torture.

Although the lockdowns should have been abandoned much earlier, the end is finally at hand with the advent of the vaccines. Then the work of repairing the damage can begin.

carlosrox

Banned
because of those shitty idiotic rules

lol sure

But people here go on and on about how people here DON'T follow the rules! They blame it on "house parties" and people supposedly not following the rules!

And now after they mandated masks indoors the cases are "going up"! Makes so much sense doesn't it!?

Emphasis on CASES, whatever the FUCK that means.

cryptoadam

Banned

Whats interesting with BC is at first they really tamed the virus. Barely any cases and deaths. I remember one poster here from there bragging about it and dunking on Quebec saying its because we didn't listen blah blah.

I have to wonder what happened. Especially since you guys "beat" the virus the first time around but then managed to get hit 9 months later.

All though I am sure your PM is blaming all the bad little boys and girls who didn't listen.

carlosrox

Banned
All though I am sure your PM is blaming all the bad little boys and girls who didn't listen.

Yup, aLL tHe HOusE pArtieS and "conspiracy theorists". Cuz somehow even IF there were a bunch of house parties that automatically means everyone AT these parties HAD covid and SPAT in everybody's face/sucked their fuckin' dicks off. Get real. Buncha bullshit.

We had a buncha virtue signalling protests here when people pretended to care about George Floyd for a few weeks and they outright said not a one person got COVID during all the protests. But NOW people start getting it, just mere days before they made masks mandatory! How romantic! Cool STORY.

And if you don't suck COVID dick that automatically means you HAVE COVID.

COVID only seems to works on people who don't believe! But wait, I'm also supposed to believe it's EVERYWHERE!!!!

If you disobey guidelines that must mean you automatically HAVE COVID duhhhhhhhhhh.

People who get together automatically have COVID. People against the tarded restrictions automatically have COVID! Nevermind if they actually have it, just fine em anyways cuz...cuz...they....have it? Or they...don't? Who cares just fine em anyways and paint em all with the same brush: Trump supporting science denying flat earthers duhhhh

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Yup, aLL tHe HOusE pArtieS and "conspiracy theorists". Cuz somehow even IF there were a bunch of house parties that automatically means everyone AT these parties HAD covid and SPAT in everybody's face/sucked their fuckin' dicks off. Get real. Buncha bullshit.

We had a buncha virtue signalling protests here when people pretended to care about George Floyd for a few weeks and they outright said not a one person got COVID during all the protests. But NOW people start getting it, just mere days before they made masks mandatory! How romantic! Cool STORY.

And if you don't suck COVID dick that automatically means you HAVE COVID.

COVID only seems to works on people who don't believe! But wait, I'm also supposed to believe it's EVERYWHERE!!!!

If you disobey guidelines that must mean you automatically HAVE COVID duhhhhhhhhhh.

People who get together automatically have COVID. People against the tarded restrictions automatically have COVID! Nevermind if they actually have it, just fine em anyways cuz...cuz...they....have it? Or they...don't? Who cares just fine em anyways and paint em all with the same brush: Trump supporting science denying flat earthers duhhhh

Took a look at your numbers

90% of deaths over the age of 70. Under the age of 50 22 people died.

Median age of death 86.

So I guess all those flat earthers are going to 80 year olds and coughing on them.

Once again government fucks up and blames the population. They had one job protect the old and vulnerable and they failed across the board in Canada.

71% of the deaths in BC are over 80 years old, 32% over 90. HOW THE FUCK are 90 year olds getting infected, it sure as hell aint 20 and 30 year olds going to the gym or having house parties.

178 90 year olds died from covid, meanwhile 6 people total under the age of 50. thats 30x. JESUS.

pel1300

Rogan had Andrew Schulz on and they were talking about how stupid Los Angeles COVID restrictions are compared to in Texas:

Schulz: Why are they so strict?

Rogan: They're idiots. They're MONSTERS. They never even tell you how to keep your immune system strong.

He's referring California politicians.

Last edited:

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Rogan: They're idiots. They're MONSTERS. They never even tell you how to keep your immune system strong.

This, in retrospect, is going to be the great missed opportunity in governments' response to the virus. The heavy focus on masks which appears to be a weak mitigation, at best, while ignoring vitamin D supplementation which looks like it provides similar protections as the vaccines will--this was a catastrophic error.

prag16

Banned
This, in retrospect, is going to be the great missed opportunity in governments' response to the virus. The heavy focus on masks which appears to be a weak mitigation, at best, while ignoring vitamin D supplementation which looks like it provides similar protections as the vaccines will--this was a catastrophic error.
Recommending Vitamin D doesn't make big pharma billions. Recommending Vitamin D doesn't help petty tyrants to go on totalitarian power trips.

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Recommending Vitamin D doesn't make big pharma billions. Recommending Vitamin D doesn't help petty tyrants to go on totalitarian power trips.

Two good points and I think they both describe the U.S. response very well, but the rest of the world isn't the U.S. Most countries aren't beholden to their pharmaceutical industries the way we are, and many places aren't as overtly politically oriented (though many are, with several being even worse). And I haven't seen anybody pushing vitamin-D except for the U.K., and that was only very recently and probably not well implemented. It seems like everybody missed this, which is a real shame!

Cutty Flam

Banned
Someone watches Dr John LOL.

Saw this on his video about Ivecermetin. Which is looking like a real winner.

But were all in on the vax train now
Never watched him but I'll look into his content. Usually, listening to doctors on youtube is an excellent idea. They're much more intelligent than the doctors I have seen, trying to get updated with COVID-19 lessons

I listen to the MedCram videos to get briefed on all the current information, and then from there I usually venture out to other videos to understand more, or glance over the studies being published

I'm hoping for the best, if it can be used to dramatically fight this virus and the disease it causes like it has been showing so far, then that would be about as good as we can ask for I would think. That, and maybe years from now, a safer vaccine

cryptoadam

Banned
Never watched him but I'll look into his content. Usually, listening to doctors on youtube is an excellent idea. They're much more intelligent than the doctors I have seen, trying to get updated with COVID-19 lessons

I listen to the MedCram videos to get briefed on all the current information, and then from there I usually venture out to other videos to understand more, or glance over the studies being published

I'm hoping for the best, if it can be used to dramatically fight this virus and the disease it causes like it has been showing so far, then that would be about as good as we can ask for I would think. That, and maybe years from now, a safer vaccine

Used to watch MedCram too. There was another guy but I forgot his name, but he was a bit more into the conspiracy stuff.

carlosrox

Banned
probably have no relatives or loved ones in the high risk category (and even if you did, you wouldn’t be worried about them)

And going back to this ridiculous shit you said, I say the people letting the fucking government (lol!) dictate whether or not they can see their family all in the name of fear, paranoia, and the extremely unlikely chance they get COVID and even LESS likely chance of dying from it means they don't give a shit about their family.

I really can't fathom how much of a sucker you have to be to let the government tell you you can't visit your fucking family lol. Blows my goddamn mind.

As the kids these days say, imagine letting the government tell you you can't see your family.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom