• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chittagong

Gold Member
So we had/have D614, G614, D614G, among other strains and this new strain from UK, yet there is no evidence of any strain being deadlier or more severe than the others. Am I right?
So why is this particular strain seemingly getting more reported than the earlier strains?

Because the government promised people a Christmas break from lockdowns, realised it was a mistake, but didn’t want to walk back on their promise. Enter a mutation known since September as the scapegoat. The biggest miscalculation was that while it seems to successfully spook UK people into a new lockdown, they didn’t really think through how it would spook the rest of the world, to a point where EU had to step in and tell members to chill the fuck out

FunkMiller

Because the government promised people a Christmas break from lockdowns, realised it was a mistake, but didn’t want to walk back on their promise. Enter a mutation known since September as the scapegoat. The biggest miscalculation was that while it seems to successfully spook UK people into a new lockdown, they didn’t really think through how it would spook the rest of the world, to a point where EU had to step in and tell members to chill the fuck out
The rise in infections doesn’t bear this hypothesis out though. Noticeable increase in rates from the new variant. It’s not being used as a scapegoat, it’s a genuine alteration in path of the virus. Now, this doesn’t mean the government’s response was inadequate - it clearly has been, but nothing ‘s been done to spook us back into lockdown. No government wants the economy shuttered at Xmas.

The blocking of transit into the EU was partly a power play on the part of the French over Brexit. Because they’re cunts. They saw an opportunity to show the U.K. how bad things could be in a no deal situation. The blockade was not necessary - hence the EU chastising Macron for the devision.

The worst aspect of coronavirus across the board is the insertion of politics by people on all sides to push their own agendas.

diffusionx

Gold Member

The real problem is your first sentence - people have come to regard lockdowns as the default state of society, with our benevolent overlords granting us a reprieve if we are good little boys and girls. It really is astonishing how quickly our entire society and perception of government has changed, in response to a virus with a 99.8% recovery rate.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Family members can't visit the people they have in the hospital, but TV news camera crews can go interview them at bedside?

Will Smith Reaction GIF

Airbus Jr

Banned
The real problem is your first sentence - people have come to regard lockdowns as the default state of society, with our benevolent overlords granting us a reprieve if we are good little boys and girls. It really is astonishing how quickly our entire society and perception of government has changed, in response to a virus with a 99.8% recovery rate.
Do you have a source for that 99,8% recovery rate or you just made it up

Last edited:

Joe T.

Do you have a source for that 99,8% recovery rate or you just made it up

Again, and without resorting to insults, all you need is official data and statements to deconstruct the mainstream narrative about this being a deadly pandemic in need of unprecedented measures. The sources you're looking for are the CDC and the WHO:

Edit: spelling

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Again, and without resorting to insults, all you need is official data and statements to deconstruct the mainstream narrative about this being a deadly pandemic in need of unprecedented measures. The sources you're looking for are the CDC and the WHO:

Edit: spelling

1 out of 10 is high dude

Why do you keep underestimate this disease ?

New mutation are coming from UK and already spreading

Are you aware of that or are you going to underestimate that one too

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
1 out of 10 is high dude

New mutation are coming from UK and already spreading

Are you aware of that or are you going to underestimate that one too

1 out of 10 would be 90%. We're talking about 99.9% for most people, which is 1 out of 1000. It's probably actually even lower than that. Also, it's not like you're rolling the dice. The majority of people having complications have underlying conditions. For an actually average healthy individual that is not overweight or suffering from some kind of existing illness, their likelihood of death is extremely small.

Joe T.

1 out of 10 is high dude

New mutation are coming from UK

That's some low effort trolling. You asked for sources and received them. That edit including the UK "mutation" is laughable. As I explained elsewhere, go look up the official testing numbers and it tells you exactly why their case numbers are high or simply take a look at OurWorldInData's graph here.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
That's some low effort trolling. You asked for sources and received them. That edit including the UK "mutation" is laughable. As I explained elsewhere, go look up the official testing numbers and it tells you exactly why their case numbers are high or simply take a look at OurWorldInData's graph here.
And i assume this data gives you the excuses to lure people out here to abandon social distancing, wearing mask and ignore safety protocol ?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
And i assume this gives you the excuses to lure people out here to abandon social distancing, wearing mask and ignore safety protocol ?

You talk as if he's some grand evil mastermind tricking people into their doom. He's just arguing about shit on a video game forum, dude.

Airbus Jr

Banned
You talk as if he's some grand evil mastermind tricking people into their doom. He's just arguing about shit on a video game forum, dude.
As believable that data is I rather not take an advice from someone like him who describe covid 19 as an amalgamation of flu, cancer and tumours

I trust expert medical opinion over Joe T advices who embraces gaffers to go to social gathering without mask

Last edited:

Joe T.

As believable that data is I rather not take an advice from someone like him who describe covid 19 as an amalgamation of flu, cancer and tumours

I trust expert medical opinion over Joe T advices who embraces gaffers to go to social gathering without mask

The big difference between me and your experts (which one(s) do you trust most, give me a name or two) is that I'm not telling anyone how they should be living their lives.

I trust the official data. You don't want to because it brings the pandemic fearmongering to an abrupt end.

Airbus Jr

Banned
The big difference between me and your experts (which one(s) do you trust most, give me a name or two) is that I'm not telling anyone how they should be living their lives.

I trust the official data. You don't want to because it brings the pandemic fearmongering to an abrupt end.
Are you sure about that

Read many of your previous post

You repeatedly tried to convince everyone here to underestimate the virus, abandon mask and go to social gathering

Last edited:
Claims on infected people who never get any symptoms are a good way to make up numbers. If 1 in 10 notice it to get tested you can claim 99,9% survival rate.
But it may not be that low at all.

Earlier estimates that 80% of infections are asymptomatic were too high and have since been revised down to between 17% and 20% of people with infections.12 Studies estimating this proportion are limited by heterogeneity in case definitions, incomplete symptom assessment, and inadequate retrospective and prospective follow-up of symptoms, however.3 Around 49% of people initially defined as asymptomatic go on to develop symptoms

But hey, believe a dude on Twitter over a 180 year old medical journal if you want.

Last edited:

Joe T.

You repeatedly tried to convince everyone here to underestimate the virus, abandon mask and go to social gathering

You're scared, I get it. Maybe in 2022 you'll feel a bit safer coming within five feet or less of others again. If I die of covid before then you can do what you've been doing this whole time and cheer it on, but don't hold your breath. The only way for me to get any closer to this virus is to strip down in a level 4 lab. My neighbor and his family tested positive like tens of millions of others and I already know I won't be getting infected no matter how close I get to them. Keep hoping for it, though, might bring some joy to your life.

Curious how you avoided answering the question about which expert(s) you trust.

Claims on infected people who never get any symptoms are a good way to make up numbers. If 1 in 10 notice it to get tested you can claim 99,9% survival rate.
But it may not be that low at all.

But hey, believe a dude on Twitter over a 180 year old medical journal if you want.

Nature, JAMA and BMJ are hardly "a dude." Buckle up, buttercup.

Stringent COVID-19 control measures were imposed in Wuhan between January 23 and April 8, 2020. Estimates of the prevalence of infection following the release of restrictions could inform post-lockdown pandemic management. Here, we describe a city-wide SARS-CoV-2 nucleic acid screening programme between May 14 and June 1, 2020 in Wuhan. All city residents aged six years or older were eligible and 9,899,828 (92.9%) participated. No new symptomatic cases and 300 asymptomatic cases (detection rate 0.303/10,000, 95% CI 0.270–0.339/10,000) were identified. There were no positive tests amongst 1,174 close contacts of asymptomatic cases. 107 of 34,424 previously recovered COVID-19 patients tested positive again (re-positive rate 0.31%, 95% CI 0.423–0.574%). The prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 infection in Wuhan was therefore very low five to eight weeks after the end of lockdown.

Earlier estimates that 80% of infections are asymptomatic were too high and have since been revised down to between 17% and 20% of people with infections.12 Studies estimating this proportion are limited by heterogeneity in case definitions, incomplete symptom assessment, and inadequate retrospective and prospective follow-up of symptoms, however.3 Around 49% of people initially defined as asymptomatic go on to develop symptoms.45

It’s also unclear to what extent people with no symptoms transmit SARS-CoV-2. The only test for live virus is viral culture. PCR and lateral flow tests do not distinguish live virus. No test of infection or infectiousness is currently available for routine use.678 As things stand, a person who tests positive with any kind of test may or may not have an active infection with live virus, and may or may not be infectious.9

Results A total of 54 relevant studies with 77 758 participants reporting household secondary transmission were identified. Estimated household secondary attack rate was 16.6% (95% CI, 14.0%-19.3%), higher than secondary attack rates for SARS-CoV (7.5%; 95% CI, 4.8%-10.7%) and MERS-CoV (4.7%; 95% CI, 0.9%-10.7%). Household secondary attack rates were increased from symptomatic index cases (18.0%; 95% CI, 14.2%-22.1%) than from asymptomatic index cases (0.7%; 95% CI, 0%-4.9%), to adult contacts (28.3%; 95% CI, 20.2%-37.1%) than to child contacts (16.8%; 95% CI, 12.3%-21.7%), to spouses (37.8%; 95% CI, 25.8%-50.5%) than to other family contacts (17.8%; 95% CI, 11.7%-24.8%), and in households with 1 contact (41.5%; 95% CI, 31.7%-51.7%) than in households with 3 or more contacts (22.8%; 95% CI, 13.6%-33.5%).

This continued attempt to sweep hard data under the rug has become too common to ignore. What's driving it? I'd like to get a serious answer to this because what you're doing is poisoning the well. This information has been provided numerous times and every time the same few keep shooting them down. Why?

Airbus Jr

Banned
The only way for me to get any closer to this virus is to strip down in a level 4 lab. My neighbor and his family tested positive like tens of millions of others and I already know I won't be getting infected no matter how close I get to them.
Can you even comprehend how delusional you are here😄man...

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
This continued attempt to sweep hard data under the rug has become too common to ignore. What's driving it? I'd like to get a serious answer to this because what you're doing is poisoning the well. This information has been provided numerous times and every time the same few keep shooting them down. Why?

Widespread asymptomatic spread never made sense to me. Has any other respiratory virus been spread asymptomatically in such a way that it was measurable?

Joe T.

Widespread asymptomatic spread never made sense to me. Has any other respiratory virus been spread asymptomatically in such a way that it was measurable?

I'd love to get an answer to that if anyone has one. According to the expert Americans trust it has never happened before:

Then there's that infamous WHO statement that they were later forced to "clarify" because of the (rightful) uproar that came from it:

That AIER article addresses the WHO statement:

On the other side, there was the predictably pro-lockdown mainstream media which decried her heresy. The cry was so loud that the WHO immediately started walking back the claim, mostly with hints and suggestions that didn’t say untrue things but did not repudiate the initial claim either: “There is much to be answered on this. There is much that is unknown. It’s clear that both symptomatic and asymptomatic individuals are part of the transmission cycle. The question is what is the relative contribution of each group to the overall number of cases.”

Following that, the question seemed to fade. We went back to assuming that potentially everyone had a disease, enabling fellow citizens to become virtuous enforcers of mask wearing, staying home, and separating, screaming and yelling at others for failing to comply. The science on the question was unsettled, we were told, so let us go back to wrecking life as we once knew it.

The fog of disease mitigation, indeed. But as with most of the “science” throughout this ordeal, it eventually came to be revealed that good sense and rationality would prevail over implausible claims and predictions that led to experiments in social control without any precedent.

In this case, the carrier of rationality is a gigantic study conducted in Wuhan, China, of 10 million people. The article appears in Nature Communications, published November 20, 2020.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
One of my friends is very practical,, a small business owner and a churchgoer so not a doctrinaire liberal. But he is very much a normie and earnestly listens to NPR and NYT podcasts everyday. He heavily criticizes local politicians who don't promote masks enough for him.

We were talking about a possible exposure he had the the other day - he was in a closed room with someone who later tested positive for an hour while they had a meeting. (He got tested and was negative, never had symptoms later). I said something like I haven't heard of any evidence of widespread asymptomatic spread. He referred vaguely to expert guidance and said it was still a threat - but he couldn't articulate why. I didn't press him. But he out of hand dismissed the possibility that asymptomatic spread is not a threat.

cryptoadam

Banned
I'd love to get an answer to that if anyone has one. According to the expert Americans trust it has never happened before:

Then there's that infamous WHO statement that they were later forced to "clarify" because of the (rightful) uproar that came from it:

2020 when all known science was flipped on a dime.

Asymptomatic spread lockdowns mask herd immunity etc. All knowledge from pre 2020 thrown out.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening

Right. Social distancing and wearing a mask don't work.

I am pretty sick of coaches/teachers/etc talking about cancelling stuff for students because they are concerned for their "mental health".

Sure seems to me like the students mental health is being damaged by being forced to skip everything fun, but it's such an easy copout.

sinnergy

Like I said, full lockdown , recover faster .

Full lockdown , less mutations .

China will block the rest of the world to not get the new strains . Will take over the complete world economy.

The West stood there looking and think what did we do wrong 😑 and later crying 😭

You already see the shift in measures that reflect this , quick close traffic from the UK, but it are panic mode moves, it’s to late gents .. March this year was the time to act (that was the window of time) travel is not that needed to sell in this digital age , we sell our products in video calls and digital sign contracts ... products are shipped with airfreight or over oceans .

And it will probably take another year to understand that we (the West) made COVID reality something that will last longer and we will enter the battle of adjusting our vaccines to new strains and vaccinate multiple times because of letting it circulate to long ...

But it is what it is ...

#wuhanlockdownftw

Last edited:

Jezbollah

Yep. This justifies the current strategy of vaccinations of most vulnerable age groups.

They are already 800,000 through the 2.5m in the Over 80 demographic. There is the same amount of people in the 70-80 age group. That lot should be done by the end of January/first few weeks of february. Even sooner if the Oxford/AZ vaccine gets the green light and supply secured.

Come March, the amount of deaths in this country should be a fraction of what it is now, and most controls will be lifted, as the rest of the populaton get their vaccine. This will have a profound effect on both moral and GDP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom