• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryptoadam

Banned
13 million people in the UK have pre-existing conditions. There are 12 million people over 60.

OK so lock them down and give them support.

Instead its lock down 66 million people.

And even if you are over 60 or have pre existing conditions its not a death sentence like AIDS or the BLACK PLAGUE or even the Spanish Flu. You still looking at 95 to 99% survival rate.

The elderly and most vulnerable should be protected and given the most support.

Everyone else should practice mitigation and be able to make their own decisions.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

And even if you are over 60 or have pre existing conditions its not a death sentence like AIDS or the BLACK PLAGUE or even the Spanish Flu. You still looking at 95 to 99% survival rate.

Everyone else should practice mitigation and be able to make their own decisions.

What part of "We're all in this together" do you not understand? It's not meant to be some reassuring platitude.

cryptoadam

Banned
What part of "We're all in this together" do you not understand? It's not meant to be some reassuring platitude.

We are all in this together while old people keep dying and young people have their lives ruined. What a great deal!

The vulnerable and elderly are being thrown to the wolves while the young are being held hostage, the opposite of what is supposed to be happening.

You cannot argue that somehow these policies have been a success when old people who should have been protected died, while young people who are safe from the virus have had their lives ruined.

Unfortunatly we don't live in an alternate reality, but I am willing to bet if you lockdown all the old/vulnerable and let the rest of society continue on with mitigation you would have 50-90% less deaths and no financial/political/mental disaster that we have now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
We are all in this together while old people keep dying and young people have their lives ruined. What a great deal!

The vulnerable and elderly are being thrown to the wolves while the young are being held hostage, the opposite of what is supposed to be happening.

You cannot argue that somehow these policies have been a success when old people who should have been protected died, while young people who are safe from the virus have had their lives ruined.

Unfortunatly we don't live in an alternate reality, but I am willing to bet if you lockdown all the old/vulnerable and let the rest of society continue on with mitigation you would have 50-90% less deaths and no financial/political/mental disaster that we have now.

It was meant to be a joke ;). Dragging down the rest of society for no good reason just because the minority need to be more careful with this virus is not something I support in any way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe T.

It really is incredible just how successfully they've manipulated the masses with some very simple ideas. Critical thinking is at an all time low and polarization at an all time high. Remember when everyone mocked Americans for being so divided? They've since all joined in on that divisiveness and I don't think they've even realized it yet.

Jezbollah

081.gif

JSZAlXW.gif

Last edited:

Joe T.

French article (Google translated) on the fact that the majority of France apparently doesn't want to get vaccinated, note the part about coercive measures to address that.

Indeed, according to a study recently published and commissioned by Public Health France in mid-December, 60% of people questioned do not plan to be vaccinated at all. Faced with such a situation, what will the government do to reach the threshold of immunity? This is the big question.

For the moment, no answer is available. However, everything suggests that coercive measures will be taken to force the French to inoculate the vaccine. The State could therefore make vaccination compulsory without getting too wet by perhaps offering citizens who have agreed to be vaccinated a small gift called a “green passport” allowing them to be able to resume a normal life: going to the movies, to the restaurant, at the beach, attend cultural and sporting events, take the plane...

Let us not forget that this week, a bill was introduced to issue a green passport to citizens to whom the vaccine has been inoculated. After the general outcry raised (by this bill) on social networks, the government had to backtrack by reassuring the population that the vaccine will never be made compulsory.
For the moment, we are there. However, it is obvious that if the number of vaccine-resistant continue to gain ground (as is the case at the moment), the state will be forced to resort to punitive measures. In the near future, all anti-vaccines should be expected to live on the fringes of society.

Remember months ago when this was still viewed as a conspiracy theory?

tenor.gif

Airbus Jr

Banned
This one is on all of us. Too many people chose to not follow protocols. Too many people made it political. Too many people felt too privileged to be good citizens and hunker down or wear masks, because they felt it violated their freedoms to do so.

Well, this is far from over, and we haven’t felt the full effects of our choices. And as someone who isolated, and wears a mask, and spent holidays and my birthday alone this year, I resent having to defend that, and having to explain how this is not “just the flu”. So I’m done with trying. I’ll continue to isolate, and hope that I can go out with friends again at some point. And not go into debt. Or lose my home.

But somehow, I doubt it.

FunkMiller

It’s pretty sad that you and others don’t realise or care how selfish and entitled you sound when you say things like this. Who cares for all these elderly and vulnerable people you’ve just locked down on their own? How do you support them, if you’re allowing the virus to be uncontrolled among the rest of the population?

And it’s not just all about the deaths. Serious Covid is affecting people’s lives in the long term, leaving lasting damage.

Last edited:

Jezbollah

French article (Google translated) on the fact that the majority of France apparently doesn't want to get vaccinated, note the part about coercive measures to address that.

tenor.gif

Looking forward to the day the UK can tell France that all channel crossings must have a negative test applied to it. I love it.

Leyasu

Banned

tenor.gif
I live in France, I know lots of people that don’t want it.

Fuck em, the more that refuses, the quicker it comes to me.

sinnergy

It’s pretty sad that you and others don’t realise or care how selfish and entitled you sound when you say things like this. Who cares for all these elderly and vulnerable people you’ve just locked down on their own? How do you support them, if you’re allowing the virus to be uncontrolled among the rest of the population?

And it’s not just all about the deaths. Serious Covid is affecting people’s lives in the long term, leaving lasting damage.
Best part is these posters will become old, if this happens again we will just throw them in the garbage bin 🤣🤡 they should have no problem with such a act. Good riddance.

sinnergy

I live in France, I know lots of people that don’t want it.

Fuck em, the more that refuses, the quicker it comes to me.
Good for them, a vaccine that’s created in less than a year is looking for trouble .. the next part of this soap will be about failing vaccines and side effects ..

We will be waiting as long as we can preferably 3-5 years .

Leyasu

Banned
Good for them, a vaccine that’s created in less than a year is looking for trouble .. the next part of this soap will be about failing vaccines and side effects ..

We will be waiting as long as we can preferably 3-5 years .

We’ll see. Although I have said a few times that I think that these first generation vaccines are only a stop gap until a more potent vaccine becomes available in about 5 years.

Cutty Flam

Banned
There are no washable / reusable N-95 masks currently, right?

Just want to make sure, it would be a lot better if scientists could create something that can be used every day, and sanitized a specific way but so far in my search there is no such option yet

sinnergy

There are no washable / reusable N-95 masks currently, right?

Just want to make sure, it would be a lot better if scientists could create something that can be used every day, and sanitized a specific way but so far in my search there is no such option yet
I have cloth ones with extra filter ... almost a n95, a n95 is only useful if it’s face covering anyway , best to use a see thru glasses also , infections also happen by touching the eyes , (I don’t wear glasses ) you can sanitize all cloth masks with warm water of 70 degrees and higher , kills Covid in seconds , preferably after every use , we wash ours 2 times a day. If you have a cooker or a water boiler in your set up you are good to go.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Question - what would be an accurate source for covid stats in Sicily? Current numbers I have found at citypopulation.de don’t look to bad, but I wonder if it’s a good source.

Alx

tenor.gif
That's just free speculation from the writer of the article. Macron (French President) explicitely stated last week that the vaccine won't be forced upon people.
Also it's most likely that the ratio of people skeptical about the vaccine will evolve with time, especially as we'll see how the first waves of vaccinated people handle it.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I have cloth ones with extra filter ... almost a n95, a n95 is only useful if it’s face covering anyway , best to use a see thru glasses also , infections also happen by touching the eyes , (I don’t wear glasses ) you can sanitize all cloth masks with warm water of 70 degrees and higher , kills Covid in seconds , preferably after every use , we wash ours 2 times a day. If you have a cooker or a water boiler in your set up you are good to go.

-Which cloth mask (brand) do you use, & which brand of filter?
-Can you post a link of a study that has evidence of hot water 70 degrees and higher killing Covid in seconds?

This isn't the best source, but it's one of the first that came up and only skimming through the advice you gave in "you can sanitize all cloth masks with warm water of 70 degrees and higher , kills Covid in seconds" seems to be false. You might not be protecting yourself and your loved ones if you're only using warm water. In the article, it's stating that temperatures at 158 degrees Fahrenheit killed SARS-CoV-2 in 5 minutes. This is just me, but if I was going to reuse, I wouldn't feel comfortable unless I soaked the mask in bleach for like 5 min and then boiled said mask in water for 10-15 minutes (if it can even handle that, not sure) but if 5 minutes in 158 degrees kills the virus it's probably 100% that boiling water at 212 degrees would kill it in 10 min. I'm being overly cautious, but that's what I would probably do. At the moment, I only trust N-95 masks but if there is a more practical reusable option that I'm not aware of I'll be on the lookout

Seems like an issue that needs to be addressed eventually, there should be a better option than buying masks in bulk like we've all been doing. There has to be something out there, gonna look for it and hopefully report back here

Joe T.

That's just free speculation from the writer of the article. Macron (French President) explicitely stated last week that the vaccine won't be forced upon people.
Also it's most likely that the ratio of people skeptical about the vaccine will evolve with time, especially as we'll see how the first waves of vaccinated people handle it.

That's how this pandemic has functioned: the media is used to influence public opinion. When the media's all pushing the same message it becomes difficult to push back against it even when that message is a complete lie, just ask a Trump supporter. Airlines have already spoken about vaccine passports as have entertainment venues. Case in point, here is CNN today:

That coercion has been on display for months and there's more of it coming, the question is whether the public will oppose it or go along with it. The local government and media here in Quebec have been useful at telegraphing what's coming, saying flat out that 70%+ of the public needs to be vaccinated before they even entertain taking the current measures off the table.

UK Varient UK Varient UK Varient. Geez its like guys, it's the same shit just more transmissible. Literally just take what's been going around, make it easier to spread. So just be extra careful. I don't know why the media is freaking about this inciting fear with these gotcha headlines. I'm tired of reading about it. It's not more deadly, and the spike protein change is highly, highly, highly... highly unlikely to not respond to the vaccines. They're running test now to make sure but every expert has said with confidence that should be the case. People are treating it like its a brand new pandemic. It's under the same umbrella as the one we've been dealing with since march.

Alx

UK Varient UK Varient UK Varient. Geez its like guys, it's the same shit just more transmissible. Literally just take what's been going around, make it easier to spread. So just be extra careful. I don't know why the media is freaking about this inciting fear with these gotcha headlines. I'm tired of reading about it. It's not more deadly, and the spike protein change is highly, highly, highly... highly unlikely to not respond to the vaccines. They're running test now to make sure but every expert has said with confidence that should be the case. People are treating it like its a brand new pandemic. It's under the same umbrella as the one we've been dealing with since march.
It feels like there's a common overreaction over it. Not that it should be ignored either, "same shit only it spreads faster" isn't a minor situation, considering the thing we need to control is precisely the expansion of the virus. Almost everything we're doing is based on making the propagation slower, so seeing a factor that makes it faster is bad news.

Last edited:
It feels like there's a common overreaction over it. Not that it should be ignored either, "same shit only it spreads faster" isn't a minor situation, considering the thing we need to control is precisely the expansion of the virus. Almost everything we're doing is based on making the propagation slower, so seeing a factor that make it faster is bad news.
It’s also common sense. The virus wants to spread. If you make it harder for it to spread, the variants that overcome those measures will be the ones that flourish. This was always going to happen. It’s nature.

Alx

It’s also common sense. The virus wants to spread. If you make it harder for it to spread, the variants that overcome those measures will be the ones that flourish. This was always going to happen. It’s nature.
There was a chance of it happening (although it's not guaranteed, mutations and their consequences are random). But because something has chances of happening doesn't mean we shouldn't worry about it. Anybody could tell you that major pandemics can and will happen, even worse ones than covid-19. "It's nature". The point of our civilization is that we're able to protect ourselves from the threats of nature.

It feels like there's a common overreaction over it. Not that it should be ignored either, "same shit only it spreads faster" isn't a minor situation, considering the thing we need to control is precisely the expansion of the virus. Almost everything we're doing is based on making the propagation slower, so seeing a factor that makes it faster is bad news.
You're exactly right. I mean look I came across perhaps a little overly callous in my post because, like you said, the overreaction from it from people who do exactly zero research and just read the headline and start freaking out is frustrating. It isn't a minor situation yes but its not doomsday either. Like most things, the truth is in the gray area, the middle between extremes.

Last edited:
There was a chance of it happening (although it's not guaranteed, mutations and their consequences are random). But because something has chances of happening doesn't mean we shouldn't worry about it. Anybody could tell you that major pandemics can and will happen, even worse ones than covid-19. "It's nature". The point of our civilization is that we're able to protect ourselves from the threats of nature.
It’s not guaranteed obviously, but it’s foreseeable. The virus wants to spread. This is how it will spread. What will be more interesting is watching to see if it evolves to overcome the vaccine.

As for whether you worry about it or not. Um.. who cares if you worry? Worrying is a waste of time. There’s nothing to be done about it. The sooner people realize that this situation is beyond their control, the sooner we can find a sense of normalcy.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
yea couldn't possibly be another patient who is covid +

Thats probably it but then again we are also told to continue with mitigatjon even after vaccines and if you recover.

It probably has a simple explanation but its funny seeing that guy sitting there all chill well you have all these people hazmat up and the other dude in that breathing thing.

Joe T.

The tools we're using to control the virus are instead controlling us.

The 35+ cycle PCR tests have no business being used to detect infectious cases. More tests -> more asymptomatic/healthy "cases" -> more sensationalized media headlines saying infectious cases are on the rise -> more pressure on government to enact stricter measures -> more tests and the self-sustaining cycle is complete. New vaccines with unbelievably low standards for "success" in their rushed trials are sold to the public as a way out of this mess (and into a new one).

Living in a constant state of fear is unhealthy.
Masks obviously aren't helping the world slow the spread (based on aforementioned tests).
Distancing/isolation, like masks, is predicated on the lie of asymptomatic spread being prevalent.
Lock downs are doing far, far more harm than good.

We turned ourselves into the invisible enemy and are fighting each other instead of the people deceiving us. How much clearer does the data/evidence need to be? The words coming out of government officials and the trusted "experts" were enough to bring this pandemic narrative crashing down.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Living in a constant state of fear is unhealthy.
Masks obviously aren't helping the world slow the spread (based on aforementioned tests).
Distancing/isolation, like masks, is predicated on the lie of asymptomatic spread being prevalent.
Lock downs are doing far, far more harm than good.

We turned ourselves into the invisible enemy and are fighting each other instead of the people deceiving us. How much clearer does the data/evidence need to be? The words coming out of government officials and the trusted "experts" were enough to bring this pandemic narrative crashing down.

Indeed. I feel for you bro

Airbus Jr

Banned

Still going strong with the deluded conspiracy naratives?

The enemy is the virus not health workers or government get over it joe

Last edited:

It’s also not the people who didn’t spend the past nine months holed up in whatever bunker they’ve crafted for themselves. If you have not seen family or friends for the past nine months the way your previous post implies, it’s no wonder you’re feeling bitter and fearful. But you’ll have to own the consequences of your isolation just like everyone else has to own the consequences of their own choices.

Last edited:

Joe T.

Indeed. I feel for you bro

Let's hug it out.

The nice thing about this sea of stupidity is how easily the more informed ones stick out from the masses.

You're labeling facts as conspiracy theories and crying foul when proper context is added, I think your interest in the truth has been made loud and clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom