• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryptoadam

Banned

Welp there it is.

You can check my posts said this would happen. After Xmas they would say that they found the UK variant in Quebec.

prag16

Banned

Welp there it is.

You can check my posts said this would happen. After Xmas they would say that they found the UK variant in Quebec.

How are they confirming this variant? Are they doing something different from the bog standard PCR test? I was also somewhat surprised they out of thin air 'found' it in some dude in Colorado with no travel history. I mean are they checking for the new strain everywhere or do the existing tests automatically spit out something different. Based on what I understand about the PCR tests that are used in most places this wouldn't be the case, but maybe I'm missing an aspect somewhere.

Joe T.

Welp there it is.

Happen to see/read about the briefing yesterday? These sorry excuses for human beings are calling for the federal government to mandate screening of all passengers with authorities personally monitoring them during the 14 day quarantine to ensure no one leaves confinement. This staged battle with Trudeau is how they'll move the public needle on those quarantine facilities they've tried to hide.

How are they confirming this variant? Are they doing something different from the bog standard PCR test? I was also somewhat surprised they out of thin air 'found' it in some dude in Colorado with no travel history. I mean are they checking for the new strain everywhere or do the existing tests automatically spit out something different. Based on what I understand about the PCR tests that are used in most places this wouldn't be the case, but maybe I'm missing an aspect somewhere.

I don't know the specifics on the Colorado case but some hospitals are having gene sequencing done so that they can learn more about the virus. So yes, there are additional tests other than PCR, but the use of those tests is all over the place. My understanding is that it's commonly used in the UK, and in the US they are not commonly used. What I previously read was that the hospital itself decides whether to do additional testing, with lots of hospitals in the US choosing not to pay for that. There could be additional strains we don't even know about because the testing regimen is not uniform in any way either between states or countries.

cryptoadam

Banned
Funny how we can use the term “UK variant” but people shit the bed when trump called it the “Chinese virus”. Hopefully this can all be behind us in a few months. Bored of being locked down for nearly a year now.

Well be ready for another year or 2 of lockdowns. It isn't ending. And magic new strain to keep it going.

sinnergy

Funny how we can use the term “UK variant” but people shit the bed when trump called it the “Chinese virus”. Hopefully this can all be behind us in a few months. Bored of being locked down for nearly a year now.
It takes as long as it takes, if you look to the past, pandemics normally take 2 years for the western countries .. and it looks like this will also be the case, but only with less deaths instead of 60 million plus. The Spanish flu took people even after 10 years here in The Netherlands .. just saying.

Joe T.

Ah, well... no point in continuing this conversation, if you believe we’re all being lied to by the evil governmentz.

Set aside your personal idea of "evil governmentz," however you might define that. There is no "if." We are all being lied to daily about this virus, how do you possibly refute that when all positive PCR test results are reported as infectious cases? That's a lie, pure and simple.

The PCR test itself was sold to us as being "accurate." Accurate at detecting what? Answer that question and you'll soon find yourself in a freefall as the floor beneath your shoes disappears.

Even the presumption of asymptomatic spread was based on a lie. The asymptomatic Wuhan traveler they claimed infected others was taking large doses of paracetamol.

The damned "experts"/scientists being used to "fact check"/spin stories like the Portugal court ruling, which explicitly pointed out the unreliability of the PCR tests, are themselves flinging around half truths for deceptive purposes. The facts they cited had no bearing whatsoever on the ruling they were challenging (pointed this out earlier in the thread). It was a weak, desperate attempt to cover up the truth as best they could. How else would you define that?

Christian Drosten, the German virologist used to push this "gold standard" onto the world, himself slammed PCR tests as a poor tool for detecting infectious cases when MERS sprang up.

EovSUTcXYAIBYKQ

"In addition, the local media boiled the matter up incredibly high." Taken from a May 2014 interview (original source).

The concerns with the tests remain in place today, the only difference is that the people criticizing them are kept out of the mainstream (ask yourself why). Do you believe Drosten was wrong when he said that?

FunkMiller

Set aside your personal idea of "evil governmentz," however you might define that. There is no "if." We are all being lied to daily about this virus, how do you possibly refute that when all positive PCR test results are reported as infectious cases? That's a lie, pure and simple.

The PCR test itself was sold to us as being "accurate." Accurate at detecting what? Answer that question and you'll soon find yourself in a freefall as the floor beneath your shoes disappears.

Even the presumption of asymptomatic spread was based on a lie. The asymptomatic Wuhan traveler they claimed infected others was taking large doses of paracetamol.

The damned "experts"/scientists being used to "fact check"/spin stories like the Portugal court ruling, which explicitly pointed out the unreliability of the PCR tests, are themselves flinging around half truths for deceptive purposes. The facts they cited had no bearing whatsoever on the ruling they were challenging (pointed this out earlier in the thread). It was a weak, desperate attempt to cover up the truth as best they could. How else would you define that?

Christian Drosten, the German virologist used to push this "gold standard" onto the world, himself slammed PCR tests as a poor tool for detecting infectious cases when MERS sprang up.

EovSUTcXYAIBYKQ

"In addition, the local media boiled the matter up incredibly high." Taken from a May 2014 interview (original source).

The concerns with the tests remain in place today, the only difference is that the people criticizing them are kept out of the mainstream (ask yourself why). Do you believe Drosten was wrong when he said that?

Look mate, you can continue to write reams and reams about this, but you’ve shown nothing to say that PCR tests are either incredibly inaccurate on a large scale, or that governments in western democracies are deliberately falsifying test information for nefarious purposes. Of course PCR tests are not 100% accurate, it’s a fallacy to suggest otherwise. But equally farcical is this notion that they are wildly inaccurate, and that we’re being deliberately deceived to suit some goal of subjugating us all, or what have you. The government don’t give a shit about controlling you. Go outside and get a lungful of fresh air. Your obsession on here is not healthy for you.

FunkMiller

Well be ready for another year or 2 of lockdowns. It isn't ending. And magic new strain to keep it going.

No. The vaccines (which have been repeatedly stated to be effective against the new strains due to them being broad spectrum) will end this. We’ll see a marked decrease in lockdowns, deaths and lessening of virus measures by July at the latest on a global scale. By this time next year, covid will be regarded as being contained effectively for the world to be as normal as possible. Happy to bet a perm ban on it too.

Last edited:

Joe T.

Look mate, you can continue to write reams and reams about this, but you’ve shown nothing to say that PCR tests are either incredibly inaccurate on a large scale, or that governments in western democracies are deliberately falsifying test information for nefarious purposes. Of course PCR tests are not 100% accurate, it’s a fallacy to suggest otherwise. But equally farcical is this notion that they are wildly inaccurate, and that we’re being deliberately deceived to suit some goal of subjugating us all, or what have you. The government don’t give a shit about controlling you. Go outside and get a lungful of fresh air. Your obsession on here is not healthy for you.

I pointed out exactly how we're being lied to and you come back with strawmen to deflect. Cute.

cryptoadam

Banned
No. The vaccines (which have been repeatedly stated to be effective against the new strains due to them being broad spectrum) will end this. We’ll see a marked decrease in lockdowns, deaths and lessening of virus measures by July at the latest on a global scale. By this time next year, covid will be regarded as being contained effectively for the world to be as normal as possible. Happy to bet a perm ban on it too.

I hope so but we will see.

TBH I made the whats good 2020 thread so for me all this stuff has been a huge net benefit. If this stretches out more and I can continue WFH no sweat off my balls. Hate to take joy in others suffering but on a personal level this can keep going on and on.

What will be interesting is the aftermath of all of this and when the world gets out of it how they look back on the destruction that was caused mentally and financially and how children are going to suffer.

carlosrox

Banned
These are the same people imposing these restrictions on us.

How can people be lied to right in the fuckin' face and still swallow the bullshit they're fed?

Blows my fucking mind.

7SSKt1h.jpg

ISN'T IT INTERESTING HOW THE PEOPLE IN CHARGE DON'T SEEM TO GIVE ONE FUCK ABOUT COVID?

THEN WHY SHOULD I???

You think mayyyyyyybe they know something we don't? Or do they just not care if they die or kill their families like all the more well informed peons do?

Wake up.

Last edited:

WoJ

Those figures amount to millions dead across the world. Pretty sure most people from the past would completely understand, especially as they endured so much more inconvenience to save less people.

So, I will just be blunt and say that I think governments have massively overreacted to COVID because of death rates like the ones posted above. My main issue is that I think lockdowns should basically be gone, masks should be optional and businesses can be the ones to enforce whether or not they want their customers to wear masks or not. I don't think it should be the government's role. I don't think COVID started as a conspiracy theory thing, but I definitely think that it has turned into a power grab over time and we have a group of narcissistic politicians unwilling to admit they messed up by taking draconian measures.

I have no problem with large/mass gatherings being banned....for now.

I say all this because at the end of the day COVID is likely to have a death rate lower than the annual flu (I am basing this on some articles I read from virologists a few months back who think after it works its way through the system the lethality will be lower than it is even today), we don't lock down for the annual flu. What is the rationale to support these types of measures for this virus versus the flu? I ask because it feels like it is just creating a situation where there is no way out of this because any COVID deaths or cases greater than zero is too many. How do we move on from draconian COVID measures, when the virus itself isn't all that deadly?

Not asking to be difficult or come back with some kind of "gacha!" - asking because I legit struggle to understand this from individuals who hold the perspective you have.

Last edited:
Surprisingly, PA is going to roll back more restrictions on Monday. Of course I’ve been going to my gym the whole time anyway, but I appreciate them actually following through on their word.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Surprisingly, PA is going to roll back more restrictions on Monday. Of course I’ve been going to my gym the whole time anyway, but I appreciate them actually following through on their word.

Yeah I thought Wolf was going to extend the restaurant shut down. Surprised he isn’t.

sinnergy

So, I will just be blunt and say that I think governments have massively overreacted to COVID because of death rates like the ones posted above. My main issue is that I think lockdowns should basically be gone, masks should be optional and businesses can be the ones to enforce whether or not they want their customers to wear masks or not. I don't think it should be the government's role. I don't think COVID started as a conspiracy theory thing, but I definitely think that it has turned into a power grab over time and we have a group of narcissistic politicians unwilling to admit they messed up by taking draconian measures.

I have no problem with large/mass gatherings being banned....for now.

I say all this because at the end of the day COVID is likely to have a death rate lower than the annual flu (I am basing this on some articles I read from virologists a few months back who think after it works its way through the system the lethality will be lower than it is even today), we don't lock down for the annual flu. What is the rationale to support these types of measures for this virus versus the flu? I ask because it feels like it is just creating a situation where there is no way out of this because any COVID deaths or cases greater than zero is too many. How do we move on from draconian COVID measures, when the virus itself isn't all that deadly?

Not asking to be difficult or come back with some kind of "gacha!" - asking because I legit struggle to understand this from individuals who hold the perspective you have.
But you can’t ... because the death rate will sky rocket because of over whelmed hospitals... it’s not that hard to understand , Right ? You also get deaths because people can’t go the hospital with other deceases.

Come on people , we are in this for 1 year now , I hope you understand how COVID works .. or do you need another year?

Last edited:

sinnergy

The Dutch CDC just today admitted that they where to late this fall with measures , they implemented them 8 december, but we saw doubling already at the end of September 🤡but their own dashboard was already weeks in the red, their online dashboard is openly available for us. To indicate warning .

The head even admitted that a hard lockdown system would probably worked the best 🤣 and that we can start easing these half baked measures only half February. Happy new year! Nice news on the last day of the year .. this some marketing move?

Pointed to Ireland who deploys such a system ... no shit Sherlock . Now imagine if we all did a Wuhan 12 week lockdown in March ..

You would think that if someone like me saw how bad it was in China in January and in March in Italy and New York City , someone at his position is also triggered..

Look at the shitshow that is Europe, UK and the US 🤣 and most other non Asian countries ..

#wuhanlockdownftw

For the rest of the normal folk, keep save, obey, hand washing and masks , social distancing and have a nice new year! Drink 🍺

Last edited:

Joe T.

Now imagine if we all did a Wuhan 12 week lockdown in March ..

You don't have to imagine.

TAIPEI, Taiwan – After months of loosened restrictions and almost no local outbreaks, China is battling a surge in coronavirus cases and implementing strict new rules ahead of its busiest holiday season, Lunar New Year in February.
In Hangzhou in the east, a security guard was confirmed to have the virus, while in Heihe, near China’s border with Russia, all flights were canceled after a student and his grandmother tested positive. As of Tuesday, 22 neighborhoods and districts were in what authorities described as “wartime” mode after the discovery of new cases.
This time, residents may still be restricted from celebrating. The northwestern city of Lanzhou called on families to visit relatives, a new year tradition, online rather than in person. Several cities restricted the size of gatherings to 10 people, while in Anhui province, any company gathering of more than 50 guests must be registered with the government.

In the northeastern port city of Dalian, where authorities have been scrambling to control an outbreak, government and state company workers must apply for permission to attend any events with guests from other Chinese provinces or other countries.

And in Shenyang, the capital of Liaoning province, elementary schools have been asked to hold their winter break earlier, while some colleges are extending their semesters and requiring students to be tested for the coronavirus before being allowed to return home.

sinnergy

They where open for almost a year 🤣 sprinting past the USA economy earlier . While the west is in non-stop lock downs. With a complete trashed economy.
It probably is the UK variation, because of half baked western lock downs .

But this response was expected from a China hater .. we are all people you know.

Yet experts are now saying hard lock downs .

Last edited:

FunkMiller

All of this is wrong. Covid is much worse than flu... but is there much point in me linking to articles from medical sources like The Lancet that prove this?

No, of course there isn’t.

Last edited:

sinnergy

latest vaccine numbers. 800k for the UK. 138 for France. Not 138k, 138.

And only after 2 weeks vaccine you are somewhat immune .. better not catch it 🤣. What a soap. But better than nothing ! Also cool that it a vaccine made in 9 months while others take 5 - 10 years! To develop and test .

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned

The French government continues to prove just how fucking useless they are.

They have not planned or prepared anything. The story of their Covid management.

They are a fucking disgrace and I hope that this is not forgotten during the next presidential elections

Leyasu

Banned
And only after 2 weeks vaccine you are somewhat immune .. better not catch it 🤣. What a soap. But better than nothing ! Also cool that it a vaccine made in 9 months while others take 5 - 10 years! To develop and test .
Well yeah your body needs to make the antibodies.

Leyasu

Banned

Lol you are talking about 10s of confirmed cases that will be brought under control. Whilst the west is in and out of lockdown, economy in the shitter and 1000s dying daily.

The problem is not the doubt on Chinas reports ( their economy and the lives of their citizens is back to normal) it is the disbelief in just how badly the west has managed this.

You need to accept the truth. Orange man and all the other cretinous leaders in the west have handled it terribly. Just wait a couple of years when this blows over and the inquiries start. The whistleblowers will start crawling out of the woodwork, and not only will many governments be shamed and an a figure can be put on the amount of blood on their hands, but many scientists will be totally discredited and finished for their collusion.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Those French numbers 😂

The EU are dropping the ball massively on this.

Mind you, the UK a only at 800k in over three weeks isn’t all that great. Hopefully with AstraZeneca and Pfizer now on the go with longer gaps between doses that‘ll increase a lot from next week. Should be well over a million by this time next week. Five million plus by end of January is possible, but requires a lot of organisation.

Leyasu

Banned
Those French numbers 😂

Mind you, the UK a only at 800k in over three weeks isn’t all that great. Hopefully with AstraZeneca and Pfizer now on the go with longer gaps between doses that‘ll increase a lot from next week. Should be well over a million by this time next week. Five million plus by end of January is possible, but requires a lot of organisation.
The UK will have access to millions of doses of the vaccine from astra Zeneca. They are planning 2mil per week with round the clock vaccinations.

Fucking France where I am though.... I will get my dad to register me and my family for shots with his dr in the spring and hopefully get vaccinated in the UK. I am a Brit and still have a registered dr in the UK.... Thankfully

sinnergy

Those French numbers 😂

You have to outrun the new strain , sadly it seems a pipe dream .. 2021 looks like another Covid year.

Leyasu

Banned
You have to outrun the new strain , sadly it seems a pipe dream .. 2021 looks like another Covid year.
It should be ok.

I have been seeing more and more that the strain has been circulating since September, which means that it was around during the phase 3 trials.

Some countries that have access to large quantities of the vaccine and who vaccinate en masse could wel be out of the pandemic by the summer. People in the eu are fucked next year though I feel.

This one is pretty heartbreaking. 18 years old.

Wow, I've seen the light. Now that for the first time in human history an otherwise healthy 18 year old got sick and died I'll take COVID seriously.

Emotionally manipulative tripe.

But you can’t ... because the death rate will sky rocket because of over whelmed hospitals... it’s not that hard to understand , Right ? You also get deaths because people can’t go the hospital with other deceases.

Come on people , we are in this for 1 year now , I hope you understand how COVID works .. or do you need another year?
"It's not the deadliness of the COVID virus, it's the risk of overwhelming hospitals" was talked about in the very early weeks of 2020 as countries evaluated the risks and began locking down.

Hospitals as a whole never got overrun. The "extra ventilators in NY warehouse" thing kinda made people realize that we already had the proper infrastructure to handle it as long as we didn't Black Friday our own medical system, which was our exact initial response.

FunkMiller

The anti body reaction of all the approved vaccines is broad enough to tackle the different strains. The spike protein creates an immune response to the base line Covid genetic code, rather than the mutation. It should work for any variant of the Covid virus going forward. Though sadly, this is not a hundred percent guarantee. Fingers crossed.

prag16

Banned
You are a sick human being and you should seek help. Seriously.
Is he wrong? It is an anecdote, put on blast in order to manipulate emotions.

I know numerous people who have had COVID at this point. Zero died, only one (who was severely immunocompromised) needed hospitalization, and the majority of the under 40s had little to no symptoms. Is the linked anecdote better than my anecdote? If you're intent on being terrified, there's plenty of fodder.

But some people are able to take a step back and see the big picture. That doesn't make us sick human beings.

WoJ

All of this is wrong. Covid is much worse than flu... but is there much point in me linking to articles from medical sources like The Lancet that prove this?

No, of course there isn’t.

I'll be honest, I read this back in July. I didn't bookmark it. It wasn't from the Lancet. It was a scientific journal that was discussing COVID, novel viruses, and how they mutate in general, and how over time they work their way through a population. The article was NOT saying that COVID was less lethal than the flu today, but over time they would anticipate it probably would be through mutations and what not. If I had the link saved I would provide it, but I just don't have it.

These are the projected death rates today based on the CDC. I think we would all agree that the CDC should (emphasis on should) be considered one of the more credible sources of information on COVID or medical issues in general.

Age 0-19 — 99.997%
Age 20-49 — 99.98%
Age 50-69 — 99.5%
Age 70+ — 94.6%

Under 50, the virus is less lethal than the flu. I don't know how anyone can argue that isn't a fact based on the data coming out of the medical community including the CDC. If you think I am misinterpreting this data, then please explain how. Over 50, clearly there is a spike and it is much more dangerous. The article I read talked about how over time these death rates would be expected to decline substantially. For example, I am 38 now. If I catch COVID now, and another 5 or 6 times before I reach 70, COVID is not likely to kill me when I am 75 years old like it might today if a 75 year old catches it. There is still a risk but it is not likely to be anywhere close to the 5.4% death rate someone who is 70+ today has. Even with comorbidities because my body has learned to fight the virus and has an immune response to it. I am oversimplifying it, but that was (at a very high level) the crux of much of the argument. Hence, that was the support that over time COVID was likely to be less lethal than the flu. Again - this was an article written several months ago in a scientific journal that talked about novel viruses in general and taking the information we had available at the time and drawing conclusions and trying to explain how our bodies respond to new infections. There have been articles posted at various news sites I have stumbled across at various news sites (CNBC, MSNBC, Marketwatch, etc) that have interviewed virologists that have said similar things. In all those cases they were talking about years down the road after COVID has worked its way through the population either through natural infection or vaccination. Not present state.

You addressed none of my questions and instead made an attempt to throw a back handed insult at me by implying there was no point in linking sources to support your view. You know nothing about me, and I responded to your post in good faith to try and better understand your point of view here. I'm not someone who shuts down all opposing views and strongly believe that ultimately people can agree to disagree. But that only really works if information is exchanged between people discussing something. I'm interested in better understanding your point of view here because it differs from my own and you seem to be looking at sources and information differently than I am. If you're not willing to elaborate and would rather just dismiss anyone who thinks differently that's fine, but spare me the back handed insults from a soapbox of superiority.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Is he wrong? It is an anecdote, put on blast in order to manipulate emotions.

I know numerous people who have had COVID at this point. Zero died, only one (who was severely immunocompromised) needed hospitalization, and the majority of the under 40s had little to no symptoms. Is the linked anecdote better than my anecdote? If you're intent on being terrified, there's plenty of fodder.

But some people are able to take a step back and see the big picture. That doesn't make us sick human beings.
It’s a mother who lost her daughter. C’mon man. You know, not everyone is out to make the public panic, some people just want to do good and don’t want others to lose a loved one over this.

I think a big problem is a lot of paranoid people out there think the world is out to get them. Are there people out there using this as a means to power grab? Sure. But most people, the far far majority just want this to be over and don’t want anyone to lose anyone they love.

Joe T.

You need to accept the truth. Orange man and all the other cretinous leaders in the west have handled it terribly. Just wait a couple of years when this blows over and the inquiries start. The whistleblowers will start crawling out of the woodwork, and not only will many governments be shamed and an a figure can be put on the amount of blood on their hands, but many scientists will be totally discredited and finished for their collusion.

I don't know if you've noticed, but I don't need to wait years to discredit governments, pharmaceutical companies, corporate media, billionaires and the doctors/scientists on their leash. I think they've already done a brilliant job of that on their own, whether that ever becomes the mainstream view is another story.

Lock downs have failed everywhere, including China where they're once again imposing restrictions. What good is such a severe measure if it's not protecting them from the same restrictions imposed everywhere else? This is a balancing act that few are succeeding at, definitely not China which was already on the low end in my view - one party state with mass surveillance and government-issued social credit scores is not my thing.

Xi had the opportunity to contain this and failed. Miserably. He was so ashamed of that failure that he tried to hide it. He failed at that, too. While you cheer him on for taking lock downs to extremes it's evident that it didn't accomplish what their biggest fans here had hoped. That (very strange) lock down dream is dead.

You may want to look elsewhere for an Asian success story, like Taiwan. According to the BBC as of two weeks ago: "So far, it has had only 724 confirmed cases and seven deaths and has never had to go into lockdown."

tenor.gif

The truth you can't wrap your head around is that of the PCR tests being horrible diagnostic tools whose results have been completely misinterpreted. Like you, I'm hoping that there is some sort of justice down the line if/when scrutiny is applied to the people that threw us into this mess. It's why I'm following people like Rocco Galati, Reiner Fuellmich and all the other legal cases the media tries to sweep under the rug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom