• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belgorim

That gives me a fairly good idea of the situation between press and government regarding masks there, thanks for that. Gives me a greater appreciation for Tegnell's work and the population of Sweden, too. Most people here don't watch the briefings which of course makes it much easier for them to be misled.

I hope they can continue resisting the pressure there because I firmly believe they've had it right up until now. Ramping up the mass testing hopefully won't be their undoing.
Well, the second wave has lowered the trust a bit here and it will continue decline unless the infection and hospitalisation numbers start declining.

But also the strategy has always been to do things that can be maintained indefinitely. Since vaccines are now suddenly within reach that is actualy a reason to try more measures since the time period to use them would be shorter.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Well, the second wave has lowered the trust a bit here and it will continue decline unless the infection and hospitalisation numbers start declining.

But also the strategy has always been to do things that can be maintained indefinitely. Since vaccines are now suddenly within reach that is actualy a reason to try more measures since the time period to use them would be shorter.

Fauci was saying literally weeks ago “the cavalry is coming” and stuff implying the vaccines signaled the end of this nonsense and now they’re floating all this shit about how the vaccines dont do anything to stop transmission so we need to keep doing it.

This whole thing has been a massive endeavor to continuously lie, deceive, and keep us in a state of fear and confusion over this mild flu like virus. It doesn’t make any sense.

FireFly

Shortage of beds is a chronic problem for the NHS. But they have significantly expanded capacity in response to the pandemic. There is a nice tracker here, which compares the capacity and usage with December 2019:

So, London and the South East are using more beds than they had available last year, but the other regions are in a better situation.

Fauci was saying literally weeks ago “the cavalry is coming” and stuff implying the vaccines signaled the end of this nonsense and now they’re floating all this shit about how the vaccines dont do anything to stop transmission so we need to keep doing it.

This whole thing has been a massive endeavor to continuously lie, deceive, and keep us in a state of fear and confusion over this mild flu like virus. It doesn’t make any sense.
Well in fairness, I don't think it's what you're thinking. There just simply isn't enough data to definitively say so but it's very very very likely they stop transmission. In fact the moderna guy in on record saying he personally thinks the vaccine will. We just have to see for sure when mass inoculation starts. Then that will end this nonsense. Either way if they protect the person who has it from COVID and enough people have it, it can transmit all it wants it'll be bouncing off shields and have nowhere to go.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned

More like that the vaccines will render it nothing more than a cold for those vaccinated. But, as you can still get it, you can still pass it to those not vaccinated.

I thought that current vaccine makers have all said that their vaccines protect you 100% against severe forms?!

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
More like that the vaccines will render it nothing more than a cold for those vaccinated. But, as you can still get it, you can still pass it to those not vaccinated.

I thought that current vaccines makers have all said that their vaccines protect you 100% against severe forms?!

Yet for a huge chunk of the population, the actual virus is little more than a cold. So what's the fucking point lmao. Remember hundreds of millions if not a billion+ people have already gotten this thing, and recovered.

Right now, it's like the vaccine is the thing they're holding over our head if we want a regular life again. But they're also saying take the vaccine, wear your mask, and stay indoors. So... again, what's the fucking point.

The point made earlier in this thread (or another one) about vaccines and childhood diseases was a great one, people signed up for them because an illness that kills little children (and I think I read smallpox had a ~50% mortality rate for babies) just cannot stand. I'd take the COVID vaccine in 2 seconds if COVID was killing children like it kills old people. But here, it's an illness that overwhelmingly kills people who are already on death's door. The only motivation to take this vaccine is to resume normal life, and they're also saying, well, we're not going to resume normal life.

Last edited:

Joe T.

Well in fairness, I don't think it's what you're thinking. There just simply isn't enough data to definitively say so but it's very very very likely they stop transmission.

The emboldened text sums up why these vaccines should not be distributed to billions and why the underlined text is based on nothing more than faith.

2020 was the year science got flipped on its head and became a new religion.

The emboldened text sums up why these vaccines should not be distributed to billions and why the underlined text is based on nothing more than faith.

2020 was the year science got flipped on its head and became a new religion.
Well no and no actually. The bold text is simply because they were tested for a different purpose, and the underlined text is based on how the vaccine trains your body to fight covid. Both of these are very public knowledge now I'd recommend a quick google.

Joe T.

Well no and no actually. The bold text is simply because they were tested for a different purpose, and the underlined text is based on how the vaccine trains your body to fight covid. Both of these are very public knowledge now I'd recommend a quick google.

You should read the covid vaccine trial data instead of relying on Biology 101. These were rushed through with very low metrics for success, prevention of transmission was not one of those metrics.

You should read the covid vaccine trial data instead of relying on Biology 101. These were rushed through with very low metrics for success, prevention of transmission was not one of those metrics.
I was... referring to the covid vaccine trial data.... And preventing covid itself + reducing symptoms dramatically on the rare instances when it cant isn't exactly a low metric of success.

Last edited:

Joe T.

I was... referring to the covid vaccine trial data.... And preventing covid itself + reducing symptoms dramatically on the rare instances when it cant isn't exactly a low metric of success.

How did you infer that from the trial data they made public? There was nothing in there to suggest they're "very, very, very likely to stop transmission." Nothing even remotely close to it. I usually distance myself from mainstream reporting whenever I can, but my view of their data lined up with a Forbes headline: "Covid-19 Vaccine Protocols Reveal That Trials Are Designed To Succeed." That Fauci, Pence and co. bragged about 95% efficacy to the US at a White House briefing, undoubtedly hoping people would infer that meant 95% prevention in transmission, was eyebrow raising but par for the course.

People believe we're in a pandemic because of the high number of cases those tests produce. They're being used up to 45 Ct, as Drosten described in his paper in January and various sources have reported. Lower that below 35, preferably below 25, and the case numbers drop precipitously since you're less likely to catch asymptomatic cases which have to date been the lion's share.

Since most people haven't heard much/anything about that in the news (or from government) they'll credit the drop in cases to the vaccines. The pharmaceutical companies, corporate media that rely on their ad dollars and governments that have invested hundreds of millions/billions to procure/distribute them will undoubtedly credit that drop to the vaccines. They'll fool people very easily, just as they spent an entire year fooling them into thinking all positive PCR test results are infectious cases.

Note how difficult it's been to wake certain people up from that PCR fraud? Hard data and the evidence they can see with their own two eyes often gets brushed aside as they preach "masks/distancing/lock downs work because X/Y/Z said so." X/Y/Z can't be wrong because they're experts and experts would never lie. This is what "follow the science" has become in the mainstream. It's a sad state of affairs.

How did you infer that from the trial data they made public? There was nothing in there to suggest they're "very, very, very likely to stop transmission." Nothing even remotely close to it. I usually distance myself from mainstream reporting whenever I can, but my view of their data lined up with a Forbes headline: "Covid-19 Vaccine Protocols Reveal That Trials Are Designed To Succeed." That Fauci, Pence and co. bragged about 95% efficacy to the US at a White House briefing, undoubtedly hoping people would infer that meant 95% prevention in transmission, was eyebrow raising but par for the course.

People believe we're in a pandemic because of the high number of cases those tests produce. They're being used up to 45 Ct, as Drosten described in his paper in January and various sources have reported. Lower that below 35, preferably below 25, and the case numbers drop precipitously since you're less likely to catch asymptomatic cases which have to date been the lion's share.

Since most people haven't heard much/anything about that in the news (or from government) they'll credit the drop in cases to the vaccines. The pharmaceutical companies, corporate media that rely on their ad dollars and governments that have invested hundreds of millions/billions to procure/distribute them will undoubtedly credit that drop to the vaccines. They'll fool people very easily, just as they spent an entire year fooling them into thinking all positive PCR test results are infectious cases.

Note how difficult it's been to wake certain people up from that PCR fraud? Hard data and the evidence they can see with their own two eyes often gets brushed aside as they preach "masks/distancing/lock downs work because X/Y/Z said so." X/Y/Z can't be wrong because they're experts and experts would never lie. This is what "follow the science" has become in the mainstream. It's a sad state of affairs.
Basic logic. How many people with an antibody response and/or protection from an illness (as in you don't contract it) and/or have their DNA trained to destroy a virus quickly when it enters the body, go on to spread said virus or illness? Does that seem likely to you? The moderna CEO doesn't think so. Are you smarter than him? More informed?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Basic logic. How many people with an antibody response and/or protection from an illness (as in you don't contract it) and/or have their DNA trained to destroy a virus quickly when it enters the body, go on to spread said virus or illness? Does that seem likely to you? The moderna CEO doesn't think so. Are you smarter than him? More informed?

That was my thinking too,but once King Fauci, the WHO, the shitlib media, etc., was all out there saying that wasn’t the case, I thought, well I’m not a vaccine expert so maybe there is more to it.

That was my thinking too,but once King Fauci, the WHO, the shitlib media, etc., was all out there saying that wasn’t the case, I thought, well I’m not a vaccine expert so maybe there is more to it.
Well again, they haven't said that is not the case they have said they're not certain that it is.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
My cousin is in the hospital with COVID right now. Fever of 104. Heart rate 200. Oxygen level 88%. It’s definitely not “just the flu”. 😰
I’ve already had at least one cousin die from COVID earlier this year.

It isn't "just the flu" for some who have a particularly strong reaction. Then again, the flu isn't "just the flu" for the people who react strongly to it and even die from it.

Outrunner

COVID Far More Lethal Than Flu, Data Shows

Researchers analyzed U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs data on more than 3,600 patients hospitalized with COVID-19 between Feb. 1 and June 17 of this year, and more than 12,600 hospitalized with the flu between Jan. 1, 2017 and Dec. 31, 2019. The average age of patients in both groups was 69.

The death rate among COVID-19 patients was 18.5%, while it was 5.3% for those with the flu. Those with COVID were nearly five times more likely to die than flu patients, according to the study published online Dec. 15 in the BMJ.

A separate study from France, published online Dec. 17 in The Lancet Respiratory Medicine journal, arrived at similar conclusions: Nearly twice as many people were admitted to the hospital for COVID-19 at the height of the pandemic than were for influenza at the peak of the 2018/2019 flu season. And the death rate was almost three times higher.

Leyasu

Banned
Yet for a huge chunk of the population, the actual virus is little more than a cold. So what's the fucking point lmao. Remember hundreds of millions if not a billion+ people have already gotten this thing, and recovered.

Right now, it's like the vaccine is the thing they're holding over our head if we want a regular life again. But they're also saying take the vaccine, wear your mask, and stay indoors. So... again, what's the fucking point.

The point made earlier in this thread (or another one) about vaccines and childhood diseases was a great one, people signed up for them because an illness that kills little children (and I think I read smallpox had a ~50% mortality rate for babies) just cannot stand. I'd take the COVID vaccine in 2 seconds if COVID was killing children like it kills old people. But here, it's an illness that overwhelmingly kills people who are already on death's door. The only motivation to take this vaccine is to resume normal life, and they're also saying, well, we're not going to resume normal life.
I an not going to argue. This is a good post

This kind of thing is becoming way more common and the attitude of police in western countries has become way more totallatarian and should be a cause for concern for everyone.

You find it funny S sinnergy that a frail old lady who is observing all guidelines and feeding birds, it may be one of the only outdoor activities she can do anymore...she is not bothering anyone else and it's quite easy due to her mobility for others to avoid her if need be. You find it funny that the police are telling her she can't do something as simple as feed some animals and she must go indoors...quite possibly into isolation...and you find this humourous?.

You are a scumbag.

Last edited:
You find it funny S sinnergy that a frail old lady who is observing all guidelines and feeding birds, it may be one of the only outdoor activities she can do anymore...she is not bothering anyone else and it's quite easy due to her mobility for others to avoid her if need be. You find it funny that the police are telling her she can't do something as simple as feed some animals and she must go indoors...quite possibly into isolation...and you find this humourous?.

You are a scumbag.
He's just a troll. Its best to treat him as though he doesn't exist.

Saruhashi

Banned
Fucking insane. But this is what people here want. These are the policies some of you people advocate for. Maybe there is more to this story. I certainly hope so because this is horrific.

It shows maybe that we have always had the potential for this kind of thing hanging over us but we just didn't know it.

Easy to think back to 2019 and how it would never really enter your head that the police would raid your home because you had family visiting. Or the government would just say "close your business because we say so".

Now we are just seeing the truth. We are powerless to stop it and we always were. Also, many of our fellow citizens really don't care so long as it doesn't affect them or they feel its justified.

We see places like China on the news and feel glad that we have freedoms many people over there will never ever experience. Yet when push comes to shove our own authorities are no better and we are no better at resisting them either.

We were living under a delusion and now reality is revealed. The only weakness seems to be that western governments are extremely cautions about shutting down "woke" protests. Not 100% sure why that would be but it's there as a fact.

Some old lady feeding the birds gets moved along but some protesters are allowed free rein. That's interesting.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
COVID Far More Lethal Than Flu, Data Shows

Researchers analyzed U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs data on more than 3,600 patients hospitalized with COVID-19 between Feb. 1 and June 17 of this year, and more than 12,600 hospitalized with the flu between Jan. 1, 2017 and Dec. 31, 2019. The average age of patients in both groups was 69.

The death rate among COVID-19 patients was 18.5%, while it was 5.3% for those with the flu. Those with COVID were nearly five times more likely to die than flu patients, according to the study published online Dec. 15 in the BMJ.

A separate study from France, published online Dec. 17 in The Lancet Respiratory Medicine journal, arrived at similar conclusions: Nearly twice as many people were admitted to the hospital for COVID-19 at the height of the pandemic than were for influenza at the peak of the 2018/2019 flu season. And the death rate was almost three times higher.

3,600 patients hospitalized with COVID-19 between Feb. 1 and June 17 of this year, and more than 12,600 hospitalized with the flu between Jan. 1, 2017 and Dec. 31, 2019. The average age of patients in both groups was 69.

Hopefully they can re-run this study now that we've got a full 12 months of data. COVID testing and classification was still in its infancy in mid-June. Things have changed drastically in the following six months.

It shows maybe that we have always had the potential for this kind of thing hanging over us but we just didn't know it.

Easy to think back to 2019 and how it would never really enter your head that the police would raid your home because you had family visiting. Or the government would just say "close your business because we say so".

Now we are just seeing the truth. We are powerless to stop it and we always were. Also, many of our fellow citizens really don't care so long as it doesn't affect them or they feel its justified.

We see places like China on the news and feel glad that we have freedoms many people over there will never ever experience. Yet when push comes to shove our own authorities are no better and we are no better at resisting them either.

We were living under a delusion and now reality is revealed. The only weakness seems to be that western governments are extremely cautions about shutting down "woke" protests. Not 100% sure why that would be but it's there as a fact.

Some old lady feeding the birds gets moved along but some protesters are allowed free rein. That's interesting.
I mean the lockdown enthusiast still don’t see what they are. They think because it’s covid, they’re justified. What they don’t realize is that German citizens thought they were justified too in the 1930s. Soviets who informed on their neighbors thought so too. Same thing during the Mao’s Great Leap Forward.

It’s not like the people who went along with heinous shit know how fucking insane they were at the time. They all thought they were doing what had to be done at the time. They were regular people.

Covid is bad. But what is being done to society is far, far worse. It has unveiled an ugly truth about the bonds we don’t actually share.

cryptoadam

Banned
Hey rando video of china welding an apartment door. When is it from why are they doing it no one knows. But this virus must melt peoples face off because China welding doors

If true this would be shocking a year ago. Now most people would cheer this on and beg for it to be done where they live.

Chaplain

Video: 'There is no running away from the numbers': Fauci on COVID-19 surge | ABC News (1/3/20)

Edited

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
This is what people are turning into

This is what this shit is doing to people, it has real effects.

I am not sure people who are living in places that are more or less functioning understand the stress that comes from the constant barrage of top-down oppression, fear porn, and paranoia that we are getting in these blue cities/states.

Even when I turn on fucking Hulu to watch a show, I get ads from NYC telling me how I need to get tested "even if I don't have any symptoms." Every time I step outside everyone has a nappy on their face walking around. Everything is closed and a lot of businesses that you come to grow familiar with are gone. It's just this constant barrage and it's been almost a year of this shit... it weighs on you, heavily, especially if you are naturally extroverted.

I have to go to New Jersey to get a bite to eat outside my house and even though NJ is a basket case compared to a lot of places, it's like a breath of fresh air compared to NY.

I am not sure people who are living in places that are more or less functioning understand the stress that comes from the constant barrage of top-down oppression, fear porn, and paranoia that we are getting in these blue cities/states.

Even when I turn on fucking Hulu to watch a show, I get ads from NYC telling me how I need to get tested "even if I don't have any symptoms." Every time I step outside everyone has a nappy on their face walking around. Everything is closed and a lot of businesses that you come to grow familiar with are gone. It's just this constant barrage and it's been almost a year of this shit... it weighs on you, heavily, especially if you are naturally extroverted.

I have to go to New Jersey to get a bite to eat outside my house and even though NJ is a basket case compared to a lot of places, it's like a breath of fresh air compared to NY.
Wild. PA is nothing like that. At least not where I live. I mean there are restrictions and it’s tough, but nobody I know wears a mask outside. Ever. You wear in the store, that’s it. Indoor dining reopens tomorrow at some low % that everyone ignores anyway. My gym never closed. My son hasn’t missed a day of school, at school, since August. It’s been relatively normal for a while now.

The hospital I work at is busy, but we will manage. I am extremely thankful not to live in New York or California.

WoJ

When this all started I could not deal with it. I literally went into a spiral of anxiety and depression and had to get on anti-depressants to cope. It definitely leveled me out, but I STILL have struggles with it. My issues were never about the virus, but about the societal impact. I was fearful that we gave up some of our humanity to stop this virus. At first I was in support of the lockdowns and the measure taken, even with the high social cost, but as time has gone on and we've learned more and I've watched politicians like Cuomo and Newsom I am 100% convinced the cure is worse than the disease.

There is a massive effect all this has on the psyche of a population. We live in a suburb in Columbus, OH. We've done some stuff, but have pretty much stayed in our neighborhood the entire time. Largely in part because most of the stuff we do isn't open - large festivals, fairs, etc. The only thing aside from that we did is go out to eat and see family. We don't go out to eat much, but we still see family.

The restaurant my wife and I went to on our first date closed because of the pandemic and lockdowns. We also had our rehearsal dinner for our wedding there. It was a place friends and I went to regularly because it was just a great place to hang out with good food and was local. It's gone now. There's countless other places like that in Columbus.

To this day going to the grocery store just stresses me out. I get a pit of anxiety in my stomach seeing everyone all masked up, and the mask police they have at the door now. I hate it. This isn't what life is supposed to be like. Some may think this is silly, but if you've ever dealt with depression and anxiety, there's not much I can do about it. It's a trigger and I cope as best I can. It's partly why mask mandates piss me off with questionable science and anecdotal data behind them.

One of the other things that just triggers my anxiety is how TV shows have like embraced mask culture. I watch TV to escape from this shit. I've seen a bunch of shows advertising their episodes with the characters in masks and plexiglass between them. When I log into Hulu for whatever reason "The Conners" is one of the shows that is always on our home screen (even though we don't watch it) and all the characters are wearing masks. I don't want this shit normalized. I don't want to have it thrown in my face more than it already is daily. And it's not just about the masks - it's what it all represents. As I said above, I watch TV to escape from real life. I don't need to be reminded of the shit going on in day to day life when I am engaging in hobbies.

All that said, I'm grateful for the position my family and I are in. But there's a real toll to everything that has gone on with the response to COVID that goes beyond the loss of life. I know there are many in my shoes who have lost far more (both in terms of loved ones and careers/businesses) than I have. Christ, I've mostly just lost my worldview but it's had a big effect on me.

Anyways, just kind of rambling, this post made me think about this stuff.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

It's really sad. Someone on my FB posted this the other day (verbatim) "Watched the news this morning, realized it's no longer safe to leave the house even for the grocery store."

Then proceeded to go on a tirade about how the situation is the fault of selfish people who don't follow the rules.

It's just sad how riled up and terrified the media can make people who are otherwise reasonable and intelligent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nymphae

Banned
OBu7M4d.png

drotahorror

Am I reading this wrong?

UzzES4A.jpg

Ct1CJln.jpg

^Does this 2nd screenshot mean that out of everyone tested for the flu this year since week 40 of Sept., only 139 cases came back positive?

And only a couple hundred thousand people tested for it? There was an estimated 38 million cases in 2019 of the flu

A3QZwlZ.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom