• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So I received Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, due to being in extremely hard risk, among first one in the country possibly. So I will keep you posted. T+2 hours and so far nothing. I am not so thrilled honestly (I am fairly skilled in self-protection, because I was trained at that before pandemic, since even some man-flu would probably killed me), but then again same people saved my life, so hopefully some EU done research is not lying about how it effect tranplant patients in less than 3 years after transplant.

Jezbollah

So I received Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, due to being in extremely hard risk, among first one in the country possibly. So I will keep you posted. T+2 hours and so far nothing. I am not so thrilled honestly (I am fairly skilled in self-protection, because I was trained at that before pandemic, since even some man-flu would probably killed me), but then again same people saved my life, so hopefully some EU done research is not lying about how it effect tranplant patients in less than 3 years after transplant.

My uncle had the Pfizer jab a few weeks back - he wasnt feeling his usual self a few days later - transpires that his blood pressure had risen, and it's something our health service has documented as a side effect. Might be for one thing to look out for.

M1chl

My uncle had the Pfizer jab a few weeks back - he wasnt feeling his usual self a few days later - transpires that his blood pressure had risen, and it's something our health service has documented as a side effect. Might be for one thing to look out for.
I am having to submit my blood pressure, body temperature, oxygen saturation and also weight gain/loss known for 1 month from this point, at least daily. Weight gain is for mainly possible kidney issue. So yeah...

WoJ

Am I reading this wrong?

UzzES4A.jpg

Ct1CJln.jpg

^Does this 2nd screenshot mean that out of everyone tested for the flu this year since week 40 of Sept., only 139 cases came back positive?

And only a couple hundred thousand people tested for it? There was an estimated 38 million cases in 2019 of the flu

A3QZwlZ.jpg

That's how I interpret it as well. But I am open to the fact I could be interpreting it wrong.

I'm told it's the masks and social distancing that are completely eradicating flu. But at the same time the masks and social distancing that are so great at eradicating the flu aren't working well enough for COVID. We just aren't masking or social distancing hard enough!!!!

It couldn't be possible that flu cases are being misdiagnosed.

cryptoadam

Banned
That's how I interpret it as well. But I am open to the fact I could be interpreting it wrong.

I'm told it's the masks and social distancing that are completely eradicating flu. But at the same time the masks and social distancing that are so great at eradicating the flu aren't working well enough for COVID. We just aren't masking or social distancing hard enough!!!!

It couldn't be possible that flu cases are being misdiagnosed.

To think all we needed was a 5 cent china mask and 6 feet and the world could have destroyed the flu decades ago and saved millions of lives.

500K people die a year from the flu. Imagine if 10 years ago the world started wearing masks and stood 6 feet and closed business's thats 5 million lives that would have been saved.

The blood is on everyones hands for killing gram gram and pop pop over the last decade.

cryptoadam

Banned
Oh what a difference 9 months makes.

So I guess the WHO were either lying or imcompetent, but then we should only trust the WHO as the official sources and never condradict them, even though according to the maskers the WHO basically doomed the entire globe to suffer from this pandemic and basically killed 1.7 million people.

Joe T.

Cross posted but very interesting clip and an email form a clinical lab scientist about covid samples

The lawsuit against the CDC for their lack of an isolated sample is music to my ears.

"The four research papers that do describe the genomic extracts of the covid-19 virus never were successful in isolating and purifying the samples. All the four papers written on covid-19 only describe small bits of RNA which were only 37 to 40 base pairs long which is not a virus. A viral genome is typically 30,000 to 40,000 base pairs. With as bad as covid is supposed to be all over the place how come no one in any lab worldwide has ever isolated and purified this virus..."

Rocco Galati in Toronto mentioned it in the lawsuit he filed against the governments and CBC news network last summer:

Outrunner

To exhausted healthcare workers like me, Covid conspiracies are a kick in the teeth

It is perhaps worth exploring a few more of these Covid myths, so that we can enjoy catharsis, if not put the issue to bed.

“Patients are dying ‘with’ Covid, not ‘of’ it.” The death certificate data from the Office for National Statistics, which provides us with the most reliable figures on Covid deaths, records causation. But even more obvious is what a patient with Covid pneumonia looks like clinically. They have very low oxygen levels, a dense white shadow in both lungs on their X-rays, a particular pattern of low platelets and specific white blood cells, and very high marker of clotting called D-Dimer. This is a clinical pattern doctors all over the world have seen time and time again. Trust us, they are dying of this disease.

Another bizarre claim is that our hospitals are empty. This despite several trusts now recording major incidents as they risk being overwhelmed, and the national database showing England and Wales has more Covid patients admitted than at the spring peak, and climbing.

And, the worst myth of all: “Covid only kills the infirm and the elderly.” While age is a significant factor, we are routinely seeing patients in their 30s and 40s on ICU. Data from Scotland shows the average age of admitted ICU patients is 61, and more than 85% were living completely independent lives before they were sick. It could be any of us, or someone close to us.

“My GP is still closed, so I have to go to hospital.” Your GP’s office is open. It has had to adapt to an airborne virus to protect you and its staff, but it remains open. They may triage you over the phone. If you need to be seen and examined they will organise this.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/31/nhs-covid-crisis-lockdown-hospitals-government
Perhaps most confusingly: “It’s just like every winter for the NHS.” Firstly, winter in this country for the health service is no garden of delights. It is an ever-worsening pandemonium resulting from an underfunded, understaffed and under-resourced health service grinding on, fuelled by the goodwill of its workers. That being said, now that we face a virus that can cause such rapid deterioration on top of our annual cataclysm, and can so utterly overwhelm intensive care departments, we are indeed facing an altogether worse proposition. On Wednesday alone, 981 people died of Covid.

pel1300

When this all started I could not deal with it. I literally went into a spiral of anxiety and depression and had to get on anti-depressants to cope. It definitely leveled me out, but I STILL have struggles with it. My issues were never about the virus, but about the societal impact. I was fearful that we gave up some of our humanity to stop this virus. At first I was in support of the lockdowns and the measure taken, even with the high social cost, but as time has gone on and we've learned more and I've watched politicians like Cuomo and Newsom I am 100% convinced the cure is worse than the disease.

There is a massive effect all this has on the psyche of a population. We live in a suburb in Columbus, OH. We've done some stuff, but have pretty much stayed in our neighborhood the entire time. Largely in part because most of the stuff we do isn't open - large festivals, fairs, etc. The only thing aside from that we did is go out to eat and see family. We don't go out to eat much, but we still see family.

The restaurant my wife and I went to on our first date closed because of the pandemic and lockdowns. We also had our rehearsal dinner for our wedding there. It was a place friends and I went to regularly because it was just a great place to hang out with good food and was local. It's gone now. There's countless other places like that in Columbus.

To this day going to the grocery store just stresses me out. I get a pit of anxiety in my stomach seeing everyone all masked up, and the mask police they have at the door now. I hate it. This isn't what life is supposed to be like. Some may think this is silly, but if you've ever dealt with depression and anxiety, there's not much I can do about it. It's a trigger and I cope as best I can. It's partly why mask mandates piss me off with questionable science and anecdotal data behind them.

One of the other things that just triggers my anxiety is how TV shows have like embraced mask culture. I watch TV to escape from this shit. I've seen a bunch of shows advertising their episodes with the characters in masks and plexiglass between them. When I log into Hulu for whatever reason "The Conners" is one of the shows that is always on our home screen (even though we don't watch it) and all the characters are wearing masks. I don't want this shit normalized. I don't want to have it thrown in my face more than it already is daily. And it's not just about the masks - it's what it all represents. As I said above, I watch TV to escape from real life. I don't need to be reminded of the shit going on in day to day life when I am engaging in hobbies.

All that said, I'm grateful for the position my family and I are in. But there's a real toll to everything that has gone on with the response to COVID that goes beyond the loss of life. I know there are many in my shoes who have lost far more (both in terms of loved ones and careers/businesses) than I have. Christ, I've mostly just lost my worldview but it's had a big effect on me.

Anyways, just kind of rambling, this post made me think about this stuff.
This is kind of like my experience except I was stranded in Indonesia from March through early August. And I was alone. Staying in a budget hotel thinking there is no way I would make it out of this. I gained a little hope in late May but then the Floyd riots and protests happened....and I have never really recovered from that since. It just made me lose all hope in people. Since then I have had no communication with family because they can't stand hearing me say that COVID is not that deadly and that the cure is worse than the disease.

cryptoadam

Banned
Scotland is closed for a month

And it's National Lockdown in England. Boris Johnson has instructed once again to stay at home and only go out when needed.

Which I am sure doesn't apply to people who are rich or powerful amrite? Pleebs stay home, but MPs, celeberties, and rich people will still fly on their private jets to vacation in warm weather.

Can't wait to see the future list of people who get busted for breaking the lockdown and then give us the "Im sorry I should have known better" spiel.

T8SC

So does that mean football matches are cancelled or can they continue to travel between various tiers & throughout lockdown etc?

Batiman

Banned
Am I reading this wrong?

UzzES4A.jpg

Ct1CJln.jpg

^Does this 2nd screenshot mean that out of everyone tested for the flu this year since week 40 of Sept., only 139 cases came back positive?

And only a couple hundred thousand people tested for it? There was an estimated 38 million cases in 2019 of the flu

A3QZwlZ.jpg

Do people usually test themselves for the flu?

Chaplain

Video: "Characterizing Long COVID in an International Cohort: 7 Months of Symptoms and Their Impact" highlights:

"In May the Body Politic Patient Led Research Group released the first study into the long tail of coronavirus symptoms - now known as Long Covid. Now they've released the most comprehensive Long Covid study to date. In this film, I summarise the findings." (12/31/20, Study link)

Edited

Last edited:

waquzy

And it's National Lockdown in England. Boris Johnson has instructed once again to stay at home and only go out when needed.
This lockdown is half arsed and it is not as bad as the one in March, the company I am working for was forced to close from end of March until 1st of June during the first lockdown. Now it can still and will remain open... this lockdown isn't a proper lockdown, as most businesses will remain open, last time it was only the essential sector that was permitted to stay open.

Joe T.

Scotland is closed for a month

I'm sure ours in Quebec is going to get extended until at least March, school closures included. The local reporting these last few days has made it impossible to miss. Legault has a briefing at 5pm tomorrow, that time slot is usually reserved for the introduction of stricter measures.

Doug Ford will likely follow suit in Ontario.

cryptoadam

Banned
I'm sure ours in Quebec is going to get extended until at least March, school closures included. The local reporting these last few days has made it impossible to miss. Legault has a briefing at 5pm tomorrow, that time slot is usually reserved for the introduction of stricter measures.

Doug Ford will likely follow suit in Ontario.

No doubt.

We are going to be in this lockdown till May again.

And so far only 30K vaccines given out. Not surprising that its going to take our government forever to jab people. I have been to our hospitals and CLSC and knew it would take centuries for them to distribute it.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Other way round actually. Boris has to tell the regional leaders his plans so they’re not caught by surprise. Sturgeon then gazumps him. Problem is he can’t not brief her or he’ll look like a petty cunt.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Long and interesting read by Nicholson Baker in New York Magazine discussing plausibility of the lab leak hypothesis. I read it during lunch (although it killed my appetite.)

Even if the origin was a completely natural spillover event, the factual narrative setup sounds just like a Michael Crichton novel about scientific hubris a la Jurassic Park.

Joe T.

Long and interesting read by Nicholson Baker in New York Magazine discussing plausibility of the lab leak hypothesis. I read it during lunch (although it killed my appetite.)

Even if the origin was a completely natural spillover event, the factual narrative setup sounds just like a Michael Crichton novel about scientific hubris a la Jurassic Park.

The length is undoubtedly going to turn most away, but there's a great deal of info worth digesting in that article for everyone regardless of their current opinion on the pandemic or virus itself.

One of the contributing views within also happened to back up a portion of the Epoch Times documentary from last April that I questioned here and elsewhere without ever getting an answer. I'd prefer to see that dismissed because I see it as a potential bridge to that "leaked Canadian document"/"dark winter" conspiracy theory where the virus becomes much deadlier in February.

“All possibilities should be on the table, including a lab leak,” a scientist from the NIH, Philip Murphy — chief of the Laboratory of Molecular Immunology — wrote me recently. Nikolai Petrovsky, a professor of endocrinology at Flinders University College of Medicine in Adelaide, Australia, said in an email, “There are indeed many unexplained features of this virus that are hard if not impossible to explain based on a completely natural origin.” Richard Ebright, a molecular biologist at Rutgers University, wrote that he’d been concerned for some years about the Wuhan laboratory and about the work being done there to create “chimeric” (i.e., hybrid) SARS-related bat coronaviruses “with enhanced human infectivity.” Ebright said, “In this context, the news of a novel coronavirus in Wuhan ***screamed*** lab release.”

Chaplain

The length is undoubtedly going to turn most away, but there's a great deal of info worth digesting in that article for everyone regardless of their current opinion on the pandemic or virus itself.

One of the contributing views within also happened to back up a portion of the Epoch Times documentary from last April that I questioned here and elsewhere without ever getting an answer. I'd prefer to see that dismissed because I see it as a potential bridge to that "leaked Canadian document"/"dark winter" conspiracy theory where the virus becomes much deadlier in February.

I have always thought there was more to this than what we are being told. From the article "Dr. Fauci Backed Controversial Wuhan Lab with U.S. Dollars for Risky Coronavirus Research" (4/28/20, Newsweek).

"...last year, the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases, the organization led by Dr. Fauci, funded scientists at the Wuhan Institute of Virology and other institutions for work on gain-of-function research on bat coronaviruses. In 2019, with the backing of NIAID, the National Institutes of Health committed $3.7 million over six years for research that included some gain-of-function work. The program followed another $3.7 million, 5-year project for collecting and studying bat coronaviruses, which ended in 2019, bringing the total to $7.4 million.
The NIH research consisted of two parts. The first part began in 2014 and involved surveillance of bat coronaviruses, and had a budget of $3.7 million. The program funded Shi Zheng-Li, a virologist at the Wuhan lab, and other researchers to investigate and catalogue bat coronaviruses in the wild. This part of the project was completed in 2019. A second phase of the project, beginning that year, included additional surveillance work but also gain-of-function research for the purpose of understanding how bat coronaviruses could mutate to attack humans. The project was run by EcoHealth Alliance, a non-profit research group, under the direction of President Peter Daszak, an expert on disease ecology. NIH canceled the project just this past Friday, April 24th, Politico reported. Daszak did not immediately respond to Newsweek requests for comment.
According to Richard Ebright, an infectious disease expert at Rutgers University, the project description refers to experiments that would enhance the ability of bat coronavirus to infect human cells and laboratory animals using techniques of genetic engineering. In the wake of the pandemic, that is a noteworthy detail. Ebright, along with many other scientists, has been a vocal opponent of gain-of-function research because of the risk it presents of creating a pandemic through accidental release from a lab.
A decade ago, during a controversy over gain-of-function research on bird-flu viruses, Dr. Fauci played an important role in promoting the work. He argued that the research was worth the risk it entailed because it enables scientists to make preparations, such as investigating possible anti-viral medications, that could be useful if and when a pandemic occurred. The work in question was a type of gain-of-function research that involved taking wild viruses and passing them through live animals until they mutate into a form that could pose a pandemic threat. Scientists used it to take a virus that was poorly transmitted among humans and make it into one that was highly transmissible—a hallmark of a pandemic virus. This work was done by infecting a series of ferrets, allowing the virus to mutate until a ferret that hadn't been deliberately infected contracted the disease. The work entailed risks that worried even seasoned researchers. More than 200 scientists called for the work to be halted. The problem, they said, is that it increased the likelihood that a pandemic would occur through a laboratory accident.

Last edited:

GinSama

This lockdown is half arsed and it is not as bad as the one in March, the company I am working for was forced to close from end of March until 1st of June during the first lockdown. Now it can still and will remain open... this lockdown isn't a proper lockdown, as most businesses will remain open, last time it was only the essential sector that was permitted to stay open.

Yup that’s true.
Gonna be honest, I work in a coffee shop, we do take away only. And I’m tired as fuck, every day we are making more than 5k and working under staff.

people don’t give a crap about tier 3/4 and certainly tier 5. It seems that the new tier is gonna affect more places that sells alcohol.

I see hundreds of people in the park with no mask, social distance and unless they live together, groups of 10/12 people with police in front of them without saying nothing...
I’m happy to have a job I’m just tired of how people treat other people. And especially when they don’t give a fuck about rules.

M1chl

Alright, so there now around 24 hours after the vaccine, slightly elevated temperature, some muscle ache (really slight). Blood pressure as mentioned even less than yesterday, which I suffer from hypotension. No loss of apetite or smell. So far so good.

This same article could be written exactly opposite, that the belief in exponential growth would result in absurd measures taken to prevent a theoretical curve instead of an actual one.

And that's pretty much what we have, since the models were all shown to be absurdly alarmist and wrong.

FireFly

This same article could be written exactly opposite, that the belief in exponential growth would result in absurd measures taken to prevent a theoretical curve instead of an actual one.

And that's pretty much what we have, since the models were all shown to be absurdly alarmist and wrong.
Exponential growth is a fundamental property of how any virus spreads. As an example, if each infected host passes the virus on average to 1.05 people, then you get 1.05 x 1.05 x 1.05 for 3 infection cycles. Now go stick 1.05^x into a graphing calculator and compare it to 1^x.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Good post I found, I will share below:

I'm a bit surprised to see so much fear from multiple posters. Apparently, the media gaslighting is so extreme that even here where we know that the press and policymakers are wicked and lie about absolutely everything still can't see through all the fabrication and fearmongering. Let me try to convey the reality of our situation:

- Back in May, during the COVID spike, multiple estimates of the infection fatality rate of COVID converged on 0.26%, which is about three times the 0.08% of the flu. COVID is definitely a big bad flu, but it was never anywhere close to bad enough to justify lockdowns or for young, healthy people to worry more about COVID than auto accidents. (As you all must know by now, for young, healthy people, COVID is actually less fatal than the boring old flu; the deaths are highly skewed to the old.) I expect this high fatality rate to drop as human immune systems have more enounters with COVID. I also think the high death rate is partly explained by the unusually low death rate of the 2018-2019 flu season, which allowed a lot of vulnerable old people on their last legs to live one more year and see the rise of COVID.

- When you break down regions to a small enough geographic granularity, I have not seen evidence of any location experiencing more than one big wave of COVID. The places that got hit hard in April are having a normal seasonal rise in deaths now, but not more deaths than one year ago. They probably already have herd immunity. The places that are getting hit hard now (like California) are places that were largely spared last spring. There seems to be a lot of randomness to when any particular locale gets its big wave. And there's a lot of confusion about this, because when you aggregate a whole country or even a whole state, it sometimes looks like there are multiple waves; but these seem to always be in different regions. Because COVID is so infectious, it seems to bring the population up to herd immunity quite quickly.

- The press and the establishment have worked really hard to gaslight us about how quickly herd immunity has been building. I don't believe there will be any "epidemic" after May 2021.

- A really important thing to understand is that the virus will spread until enough people are immune so that each person with COVID infects, on average, slightly less than one other person (giving us exponential shrinkage) rather than more than one other person (giving us exponential growth). This means that after a particular percentage of people get COVID, the epidemic stops. Even if we somehow manage to slow down COVID a bit, the number of people who will get infected stays the same in the end. All that slowing down the spread can hope to achieve is to give granny two extra weeks of life and the rest of us two extra weeks of lockdown.

- Some researchers believe that 40-60% of the population was already immune to COVID before it started, because it has so many commonalities with other coronaviruses. By some models, only 10-20% of the population needs to get COVID before we have herd immunity.

- Throughout the last nine months, we have built up a huge amount of evidence that locking down people with no symptoms makes zero difference to which locations get hit hardest when. This is a long subject that's hard to explain well so I won't try, at least not tonight, but the century-old wisdom that lockdowns don't work has been confirmed once again, even while our "authorities" try to deny it. Locking down sick people might be a good idea, but even that's not clear; as I just said, the virus spreads until the herd immunity threshold is reached, and you can't really change the percentage that get infected in the end. What you can do is protect the elderly and vulnerable, while the young people create a herd immunity shield by getting infected as quickly as possible.

- I hope you're all aware that the number of autumn/winter COVID cases look much higher than the numbers back in April/May because many, many more tests are being done. Moreover, the PCR tests are inaccurate and have very high false positive rates. In some locales, the majority of "positives" are people who aren't actually sick. The authorities and media have been using these number to fan hysteria. But the present death rate is much lower than in April/May, except in a few locales that were largely spared the first wave.

- If you want to know how bad COVID really is, the only source you can trust is your local total death rate from all causes, which is hard for health administrators and policymakers to fudge. Today one of my favorite bloggers posted one for England, below. (The red boxes annotating the "Influenza lockdowns" of 2016, 2017, and 2018 are sarcasm.) You can see the big April/May COVID spike near the right. You can also see that the present rise in deaths, which is now prompting the UK's most heinous lockdown ever, is not yet nearly as deadly as the flu season of 2017-2018, and hasn't even quite matched 2016-2017 yet (though it's not over yet).

ar3ITye.png

- A huge new study shows that asymptomatic COVID transmission is not a thing. Admittedly, I don't 100% trust any study out of China, but this confirms a belief for which evidence was already building. If you go places with no symptoms and no mask, you don't need to feel guilty. You're not going to give anybody COVID if you don't have any symptoms at all.

- All talk of mutations, "long COVID", etc. is fearmongering to get the population to submit. BTW, "long flu" is a thing too, but the people who have it usually just get dismissed by their doctors as malingerers and hypochondriacs.

- Ivermectin works really well as both a prophylactic and a treatment, and those of you with a vulnerable loved one really should be scheming a way to get your hands on some. Make sure all your loved ones are taking 4,000-10,000 IU of Vitamin D3 (in gelcaps/oil, not tablets which aren't absorbed, lower doses for children) every day. If you want to add more prophylactic power, check out Dr. Marik's recommendations.

You should not fear COVID, but you should fear the government, because yes, they really are looking for any excuse at all to keep us locked down and acclimate us to permanent tyranny. Personally, I believe that Cuomo and several other governors were under orders to send COVID patients to nursing homes to get the death toll up. The scary thing about 2020 isn't COVID; it's that 2020 is the year the Globopedo Establishment imposed history's first worldwide totalitarian dictatorship. And most people supported it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom