• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe T.

Wait - Americans have to pay to get tested, and then if they’re positive they have to go without any financial help for 14 days in quarantine?

Okay, America is fucked then. No way will people with low incomes go anywhere near doctors. The US Govt. is saying it has just over 100 cases. That’s bullshit. And the one thing you don’t want with this disease is your Govt. going into denial and selling horse shit to its citizens.

See Iran for details.

Fox News just reported that Trump may have the federal government pay for that to ensure uninsured patients don't avoid testing/care.

Anyone else getting these ads!? lol
q5RPPH7.jpg

4kJbAJu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That holds for all diseases though. How many people actually get the normal flu but never go to the doctors? I'd guess a literal shit load. You can only work with the data you have.

Sure but how many people have the flu but dont show symptoms? Is it even possible to be contagious with the flu without having symptoms?

Sure but how many people have the flu but dont show symptoms? Is it even possible to be contagious with the flu without having symptoms?

I would guess people get it super mildly. We also don't know 100% about asymptomatic spreading for COVID-19. I've seen a ton of conflicting reports.

The recent concensus seems to be the ones deemed asymptomic just ended up developing symptoms later on. I don't doubt there aren't a few but I kind of don't think it's as huge a number as some think. Just my guesstimate though.

I think since COVID-19 is such a big thing right now everyone with any symptoms is going to try to be checked soon. Wonder if we'll see a spike in reported cases of everything else too since people are getting checked anyway.

Sejan

With a certain amount of data (spread patterns, hospital visits, historical comparisons,etc), you can make assumptions about the remaining population. We don’t have nearly enough data at this point to make these assumptions for CV at this point. Factors like fatality rates, spread patterns, virility are still being adjusted on the fly right now. I’ve seen case fatality rates range from roughly 1%-5% among official sources, as an example.

Sakura

I should mention, just because someone tests positive while asymptomatic, does not mean they never develop symptoms. Even with the flu, you can be contagious before you develop symptoms, and coronavirus has a longer incubation period than the flu. To answer your question though, yes.

From the CDC https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/spread.htm
"Some people can be infected with the flu virus but have no symptoms. During this time, those people may still spread the virus to others. "

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
As many as 50% of infections with normal seasonal flu may be asymptomatic, which may in part be due to pre-existing partial immunity [1]. Asymptomatic patients shed virus and can transmit the disease, but not at the same rate as symptomatic individuals, which creates an invisible “reservoir” for the virus. The implication of this is that public health disease containment measures and infection control measures, alone, may slow but cannot stop a flu epidemic.

“‘77% of flu infections’ have no symptoms, say experts,” reports ITV News.

The news is based on a large community-based study carried out in England, which found that most people with influenza (“flu”) don’t have symptoms, and even if they do, only a small proportion go to a doctor.

The study was part of Flu Watch – a larger, ongoing study to assess the impact of flu on public health in England – and analysed five groups of people over six periods of influenza transmission, between 2006 and 2011.

This is very much a “good news, bad news” story. It is good news in that so many people with a flu infection are spared the burden of a nasty infection. However, limiting the spread of a future pandemic could be challenging, as it would be unclear who is infected.

Sejan

I should mention, just because someone tests positive while asymptomatic, does not mean they never develop symptoms. Even with the flu, you can be contagious before you develop symptoms, and coronavirus has a longer incubation period than the flu. To answer your question though, yes.

From the CDC https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/spread.htm
"Some people can be infected with the flu virus but have no symptoms. During this time, those people may still spread the virus to others. "
Another factor is very mild symptom. Many people have a cough that just won’t go away at this time of year or a mild fever. They wouldn’t even think of going to a doctor under normal circumstances.

One of the key reasons that we were more able to contain other Coronaviruses (SARS and MERS) was because the symptoms were much more severe. A long incubation time combined with a majority of infected having mild symptoms is a recipe for Pandemic.

keraj37

Contacted PSN to add his card back to his account
DOW, 1000 points down, next day 1000 points up, and down again 1000 points. It is better to stay away from financial markets now.

Sakura

Another factor is very mild symptom. Many people have a cough that just won’t go away at this time of year or a mild fever. They wouldn’t even think of going to a doctor under normal circumstances.

One of the key reasons that we were more able to contain other Coronaviruses (SARS and MERS) was because the symptoms were much more severe. A long incubation time combined with a majority of infected having mild symptoms is a recipe for Pandemic.
Yeah, as Rentahamster mentioned in his post, if you end up with a lot of people carrying coronavirus undetected, then it may never disappear, because it will have a reservoir in the human population.
SARS I believe was only infectious once symptoms were showing, and MERS doesn't seem very transmissible at all.

ExpandKong

Banned

Both numbers increased by 50%, that's kind of convenient...

Also they're testing "one or more" people in the Austin TX area now, and companies are starting to pull out of the annual SXSW festival/convention.

What did you think of our responses?

Its definitely good info to take in. Like everybody else, Im just trying to wrap my head around this whole thing and trying to figure out at what time I should worry. My dad is in his 70s and lives with me so I'm not even so much worried about catching it as being a vector and spreading it to him.

Jtibh

Banned
Its definitely good info to take in. Like everybody else, Im just trying to wrap my head around this whole thing and trying to figure out at what time I should worry. My dad is in his 70s and lives with me so I'm not even so much worried about catching it as being a vector and spreading it to him.
To my understanding people who get cured dont get ridd of the virus they just become carriers.

But somebody please correct me on this.

ExpandKong

Banned
To my understanding people who get cured dont get ridd of the virus they just become carriers.

That is starting to look like the case, yeah, but there's so much conflicting info coming from all over the place.

gela94

To be honest I'm getting a bit scared because apparently my city has a corona virus patient now in hospital . . .. I'm living right beside the hospital and I'm pregnant also my mom works at the hospital and she has already problems with her lungs. Things can really get scary if it comes close to you.

E-Cat

Fox News just reported that Trump may have the federal government pay for that to ensure uninsured patients don't avoid testing/care.

What the US federal government calls "a national disaster program", we Europeans call common sense - except we extend it to every illness.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Right, at this point the more at risk person would be your dad, and it would be possible for you to be a vector, but that assumes you live in an area that even has the virus present at all to begin with.

That is starting to look like the case, yeah, but there's so much conflicting info coming from all over the place.
Maybe, it wouldn't be that out of the ordinary since other viruses exhibit similar behavior.

At this point I'd say we need more information before making any definitive statements.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That holds for all diseases though. How many people actually get the normal flu but never go to the doctors? I'd guess a literal shit load. You can only work with the data you have.

7th US death was actually 6 days ago.

WA is yikes.

This is right in my back yard, but I really don't get what makes it "yikes." A person in a medical care center dying of a complications resulting from an illness would normally not be a topic for the news if not for this Coronavirus thing. Like, if they determined the cause of death was influenza or something else, it wouldn't even be reported.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dthomp

It's almost like having actual numbers and info out of the major players in this would be...I don't know....helpful? What if numbers are WAY higher then are being reported but "meh eConOMYs" and alot of countries could have taken measures BEFORE it began spreading by looking at quicker quarantines and I don't know, maybe stopping flights incoming/outgoing to anybody who is not just trying to get home?

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
I need testing to pick up more quickly. Company is refusing to allow work from home because they're worried people will take advantage.
I'm just going to use PTO until the older guys in the office are worried they might get sick, and then changes will come.
Cuomo is coming off like a fucking moron. "in the coming weeks, we might find that we have dozens of cases." No you dumb fuck, we already have hundreds, if not thousands of them. "It's only twice as dangerous as the flu." No you dumb fuck, it's at least 10x - 20x as dangerous.

Jtibh

Banned
  • US virus death toll hits 9
  • 2nd case confirmed in NY
  • Spain reports 1st death
  • 1st case confirmed in North Carolina
  • Italy mulls cancelling all sporting events for a month
  • 2nd NY case commuted to Manhattan, traveled to Miami
  • Chile, Argentina report first cases
  • Third case possibly identified in Fla.
  • Stocks surge, then fade, after surprise 50 bp rate cut
  • 4th person dies in France
  • Fauci says we should know soon whether Gilead's vaccine will work
  • Son of Westchester corona case attended NYC school that closed
  • Pope tests negative for coronavirus
  • NYC high school closes over 'suspected case of coronavirus'
  • Global case total passes 91,000
  • UK case total hits 51
  • US case total tops 100 across 15 states (including evacuees)
  • South Korea case total passes 5,000; death toll hits 34
  • Italian death toll surpasses Iran
  • Iran confirmed cases pass 2,000, 70+ dead
  • Head of European football says Euro 2020 will go on
  • 9 new cases confirmed in Japan

This is right in my back yard, but I really don't get what makes it "yikes." A person in a medical care center dying of a complications resulting from an illness would normally not be a topic for the news if not for this Coronavirus thing. Like, if they determined the cause of death was influenza or something else, it wouldn't even be reported.

The yikes part is the person died almost a week ago but no one knew they had coronavirus, so I doubt any kind of protection was worn. All those healthcare workers filtered out into the world for 6 days, potentially spreading it before we even knew the person had it.

Makes it a lot harder to track down and contain when stuff like that happens.

Jtibh

Banned
There was someone here stating this thread is 4 people spaming the message board with stupid shit.

I dont understand why does it hurt their feelings if we just post updates around the clock about a topic that is real and active.
No one here screams take cover or you die.
No one says go stock up. Buy masks or whatever. This is not a cult. We dont recrute people here or try to brainwash.

I would challenge someone or ask someone how this thread started out with what info and numbers and compare it to todays numbers. That might make it clear to them there is a real concern on the rise.

As long as you can take this info and apply it to your life, whatever you choose to dismiss or agree with, it serves as a baseline you can come back to if things realy get worse.

There is realy no need to shit on anyone here.
There is also no need to be here and dish out people if their views dont match yours.

Naru

The yikes part is the person died almost a week ago but no one knew they had coronavirus, so I doubt any kind of protection was worn. All those healthcare workers filtered out into the world for 6 days, potentially spreading it before we even knew the person had it.

Makes it a lot harder to track down and contain when stuff like that happens.
Yep. And the first case in Spain died almost 3 weeks ago and was just tested positiv... let that sink in.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Yeah, 500,000 people a year to be precise.

But fear not, Trump has got you covered w/ Medicare for All Who Have Corona.
I say this with respect.

Europe knows fuck all about the US and loves to shit on trump and little europens eat it up.
All while they are destroyed by their own goverment who cencores the shit out of everyone if they speak up and all while they let all those migrants in so they can terrorize the locals.
Thats europe. And i can say cuz i moved from there to north america.
And would never move back .
Even visiting my country is a nightmare.

US is so shit yet they looove to copy every fucking thing every trend thats from here.
Watch american shows movies listen to american music etc.

I could go on and on but wont.

This thread is not about whos country is better.
So shame on you and shame on me for venting.

Back to topic.

E-Cat

I say this with respect.

Europe knows fuck all about the US and loves to shit on trump and little europens eat it up.
All while they are destroyed by their own goverment who cencores the shit out of everyone if they speak up and all while they let all those migrants in so they can terrorize the locals.
Thats europe. And i can say cuz i moved from there to north america.
And would never move back .
Even visiting my country is a nightmare.

US is so shit yet they looove to copy every fucking thing every trend thats from here.
Watch american shows movies listen to american music etc.

I could go on and on but wont.

This thread is not about whos country is better.
So shame on you and shame on me for venting.

Back to topic.
99% of what you posted is irrelevant to what I said. And I shit on the US because I care. I have also lived there, and do not deny its impact on popular culture, etc.

But back to topic.

There was someone here stating this thread is 4 people spaming the message board with stupid shit.

I dont understand why does it hurt their feelings if we just post updates around the clock about a topic that is real and active.
No one here screams take cover or you die.
No one says go stock up. Buy masks or whatever. This is not a cult. We dont recrute people here or try to brainwash.

I would challenge someone or ask someone how this thread started out with what info and numbers and compare it to todays numbers. That might make it clear to them there is a real concern on the rise.

As long as you can take this info and apply it to your life, whatever you choose to dismiss or agree with, it serves as a baseline you can come back to if things realy get worse.

There is realy no need to shit on anyone here.
There is also no need to be here and dish out people if their views dont match yours.

I usually just put them on ignore and carry on, no sense in wasting time with the "just the flu bros".

Like you said, no one here is saying this is going to wipe out humanity or anything crazy. Some of the videos seems suspicious/etc but I'd rather know and have it proven false rather than ignore everything that doesn't conform to my worldview.

This is going to start hitting home for a lot of people very soon... I really hope it blows over like a wet fart, but right now I say it's 50/50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom