• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The yikes part is the person died almost a week ago but no one knew they had coronavirus, so I doubt any kind of protection was worn. All those healthcare workers filtered out into the world for 6 days, potentially spreading it before we even knew the person had it.

Makes it a lot harder to track down and contain when stuff like that happens.

The problem with this thing is that you've probably already been passing it around for days if not weeks before you show any kind of symptoms, much less to the point of severe illness and death. It would be impossible to tell who is carrying it unless cheap and almost instant (and affordable) testing techniques were developed and everyone in the country was somehow required to get screened regardless of their condition.

Last edited by a moderator:

cryptoadam

Banned
USA about to become the new Iran/Italy. How long until they hit 1000 cases? What city will be the first to riot and start looting?

That means its only a matter of time before it blows up here in Canada.

cryptoadam

Banned

most of the trackers are slowing down on the reporting
BNO is very slow today

and shocking but not shocking

The two cases in Ontario are a woman in her 70s with travel history to Egypt and a man in his 50s who returned from Iran on Feb. 25.

The case in British Columbia is a man in his 50s who also recently returned to Canada from Iran.

Blackface man enough is enough end flights from IRAN. (and egypt too)

Iran announced Tuesday that it will temporarily release more than 54,000 prisoners in an attempt to prevent the spread of coronavirus, according to Iran's semi-official news agency ISNA citing Iran's Judiciary spokesperson Gholamhossein Esmaili.

The spokesperson said that the release of prisoners is under the supervision of Iran's Health Ministry, ISNNA said in its report.

"The health of the prisoners is very important for us regardless of their status as security prisoners or regular prisoners." Esmaili said as quoted on ISNA.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
All this crap about don’t panic.
and shocking but not shocking

The two cases in Ontario are a woman in her 70s with travel history to Egypt and a man in his 50s who returned from Iran on Feb. 25.

The case in British Columbia is a man in his 50s who also recently returned to Canada from Iran.

Blackface man enough is enough end flights from IRAN. (and egypt too)

At this point I don’t believe containment is possible. We could only close our borders completely, at which point our economy collapses.

Is the Canadian Health Care System ready for this - not a chance. I’ve had relatives in need of life-saving surgeries end up on lengthy ‘wait lists’.

All the medical people here are saying don’t worry - and the more they say it, the more worried I get. It seems pretty obvious that this thing is close to becoming a pandemic.... by definition a case in which every person on the planet is exposed.

I have elderly and infirm family members who are still a joy to be around, so obviously I’m worried about them. Myself, not so much.

Last edited:
Something seems fishy about this Virus and how it's spreading, or whether what area it's NOT spreading to while it's rapidly gradually moving around everywhere else out of nowhere.

I'd look into whether recently effected areas had anything going in in the last few months before the virus "appeared" to find out why some parts of the world are spreading in others, and why areas of least preparedness relatively are having slower to zero cases than the regions that are supposedly more well-prepared to handle this pandemic.

Also like Ebola from before, I'll be keeping an eye out on major areas where major people and administrators live and seeing if any of those people catch anything.

cryptoadam

Banned
All this crap about don’t panic.

At this point I don’t believe containment is possible. We could only close our borders completely, at which point our economy collapses.

Is the Canadian Health Care System ready for this - not a chance. I’ve had relatives in need of life-saving surgeries end up on lengthy ‘wait lists’.

All the medical people here are saying don’t worry - and the more they say it, the more worried I get. It seems pretty obvious that this thing is close to becoming a pandemic.... by definition a case in which every person on the planet is exposed.

I have elderly and infirm family members who are still a joy to be around, so obviously I’m worried about them. Myself, not so much.

Contaimnet is only possible if you go full China. But at this point its going to spread. Only hope is that spring helps slow it down. So far Canada has been pretty lucky but its only a matter of time. But its only going to excelerate quicker if we keep allowing flights from Iran and other hot spots like Italy/SK.

And there is no way our HC system is ready for this. I go to the hospital often and I see whats going on in there. Start flooding them and its game over.

Now I will be a bit cautiouse and say that the vast majority of people will not get infected. and about 80% of those that are it will just be like a normal flu and they will get over it. I bet most people won't even know they have it.

The problem is those other 20%, and especially older people or sick people its pretty fatal.

Siri

Banned

This is the type of contradiction that leads me to believe that health care officials, when they tell us not to worry, are full of shit.

Two people in all of New York have coronavirus, and one of them is in critical condition? I thought the death rate was around 3%?

Sorry, but that doesn’t add up. Bad luck, I guess.

Bullshit.

Last edited:
This is the type of contradiction that leads me to believe that health care officials, when they tell us not to worry, are full of shit.

Two people in all of New York have coronavirus, and one of them is in critical condition? I thought the death rate was around 3%?

Bullshit.

It is the numbers and special math they use that don't always match up to real life cases.
they are looking at the big picture when they say 3% they may mean 3 people out of 100 will die

but if you only have 2 cases and 1 is at critical it is hard to see the 3% but it could still be true you just need 98 more cases to prove the math true

NeoGiffer

The "leader" of the free world.

tenor.gif

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Bullshit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they aren't testing anyone who has no symptoms or even light symptoms, right? Basically, only people who are in real trouble or already dead (an obvious flag that something might be wrong!) are getting tested, which is leading to an extremely grim picture.

Am I misunderstanding?

Sejan

It is the numbers and special math they use that don't always match up to real life cases.
they are looking at the big picture when they say 3% they may mean 3 people out of 100 will die

but if you only have 2 cases and 1 is at critical it is hard to see the 3% but it could still be true you just need 98 more cases to prove the math true
There likely are 98 more cases of people that are unconnected to China, Italy, or Iran with mild symptoms. The US policy of only testing as a last resort ensures that mild cases will go undiagnosed. Underdisgnosing will mean that the mortality rate will appear artificially high.

The only way to catch the majority of cases would be to follow South Korea’s example of testing virtually everyone.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they aren't testing anyone who has no symptoms or even light symptoms, right? Basically, only people who are in real trouble or already dead (an obvious flag that something might be wrong!) are getting tested, which is leading to an extremely grim picture.

Am I misunderstanding?

They weren't testing people with serious symptoms unless they had come from China, or had direct contact with someone known to have COVID.
Until yesterday, NY had only done like 40 tests, and the whole US less than 500. We've done less testing than almost any other country in the world.
This thing has been in the US for up to 6 weeks already, probably in multiple locations.
It is a fuck up of epic proportions.

Last edited:
There likely are 98 more cases of people that are unconnected to China, Italy, or Iran with mild symptoms. The US policy of only testing as a last resort ensures that mild cases will go undiagnosed. Underdisgnosing will mean that the mortality rate will appear artificially high.

The only way to catch the majority of cases would be to follow South Korea’s example of testing virtually everyone.

There is a loophole to testing in the US as reported by Dr. Campbell in the recent posted video. I don't know for sure but he said if you get tested in the US and you test negative you have to pay for the test. If you test positive you have to pay to be quarantined so if you don't have a few thousand or good health insurance you might want to avoid the testing.

I think Trump is trying to get the gov to pay some of this. But yes testing is not being done unless you come forward as sick to be tested.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
They weren't testing people with serious symptoms unless they had come from China, or had direct contact with someone known to have COVID.
Until yesterday, NY had only done like 40 tests, and the whole US less than 500. We've done less testing than almost any other country in the world.
This thing has been in the US for up to 6 weeks already, probably in multiple locations.
It is a fuck up of epic proportions.

Yeah, I remember hearing about a confirmed case from someone at Seatac Airport back at the end of January. It's been spreading in this and more areas for quite a while now.

Still, though. I don't know if I can call this a fuck up. How could testing have realistically been done? What would people who were confirmed positive even do?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sejan

How do you suggest testing 327 million people. And what about the people who don't want to be tested?
Obviously we can’t test anyone, but we should be testing those that reasonably have come into contact with the virus. There isn’t a point in testing me at this time since I’m more than 100 miles from the nearest known case, but more can and should be tested. Up until recently, the CDC has been very reluctant to test anyone without an affected travel history. This is problematic when there it will likely lead to being community spread.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'd look into whether recently effected areas had anything going in in the last few months before the virus "appeared" to find out why some parts of the world are spreading in others, and why areas of least preparedness relatively are having slower to zero cases than the regions that are supposedly more well-prepared to handle this pandemic.
Least prepared areas are also least prepared to test. They probably already have infected people - they just can't confirm it.

Bullshit.
Lack of information.

Low sample size.

Don't freak out.

Last edited:

nbcjr

As per Wozniak's experience, i'd say that the US data is not reliable at all. They only test people that have deep synthoms or just came back from abroad.

Live South Korea press event expected soon?

death total still different from BNO I trust the Korean news

numbers match again

Last edited:

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Yeah, I remember hearing about a confirmed case from someone at Seatac Airport back at the end of January. It's been spreading in this and more areas for quite a while now.

Still, though. I don't know if I can call this a fuck up. How could testing have realistically been done? What would people who were confirmed positive even do?

People were begging to be tested. Their Doctors were begging to test them, and they were turned down by the CDC. Good people had to take it upon themselves to self quarantine without an official diagnosis.
China was able to contain the virus primarily to 1 province because they went hard and quick.
We're already on a huge delay, and we will never be able to implement the same type of quarantines.
If the warm weather does not have a big effect, we will be in for harder times than most of us have ever experienced.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
People were begging to be tested. Their Doctors were begging to test them, and they were turned down by the CDC. Good people had to take it upon themselves to self quarantine without an official diagnosis.
China was able to contain the virus primarily to 1 province because they went hard and quick.

Did they, though? Pretty sure they knew about this shit back in December or so and didn't take drastic measures until much later. I'm still skeptical about whether or not they are over the hill, so to speak.

Also, did the CDC have the capabilities to test accurately when people were "begging?" Why weren't doctors able to test?

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine announced that most events of the Arnold Sports Festival in Columbus, Ohio, will be held without spectators this weekend based on guidance from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on preventing the spread of coronavirus.

The Arnold Sports Festival is an annual multi-sport festival held in Columbus that includes the Arnold Classic, a bodybuilding competition named for Arnold Schwarzenegger.

weird times you can't deny these are weird ass times

Revoh

People in Paraguay are just going about their lives in full ignorance of what's going around the world. Still no cases, but I don't trust this government. Might be that it's hot around here and we drink a lot of alcohol. Also, we are used to living around dirt, air pollution, poor dirty people, and misery all around so maybe that help our immune systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom