• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Currently in the middle of doing the
Tali
recruit mission. Fucking amazing level so far. Really atmospheric.

I love the loyalty missions. I've done Jack's, Zaeed's, and Jacob's missions so far and all three were really good. It really helps give a little bit of extra depth to the characters.

VibratingDonkey said:
VibratingDonkey said:
Is there a way of transferring your ME1 save to a different XBL account?
You can transfer ordinary save files, just not the main profile one, which is the one you need. So maybe you could load a late game save and complete Mass Effect on your new account?

Thanks VibratingDonkey, you're the best!
It worked. :D

That was so weird, after two years, just jumping in right before the end, making these big decisions without knowing what the hell is going on. I chose the: "Well, I guess I'll leave all these people to die then or something. I dunno...why are you asking me? What?" option.

Seems like that call will somehow matter in ME2. Apparently Kaiden's faith will as well, for some reason. What happened to that guy?
Apparently he died during my playthrough, somehow.
I forgot. Because he was boring.

Macmanus

Confidence Man said:
That's fucking bullshit.

The game would've been just as successful if they kept the RPG elements intact. And judging by their own forums, far more than just a slight minority of NeoGaf gamers aren't happy with the direction they took the game.

The "slight minority of NeoGaf gamers" was hyperbole, but the rest of it is sound logic if you follow the history of RPGs.

Oblivion did the same thing, and sold like gangbusters.

I can't argue flat out that the game will do better with a more action oriented approach because I'm not psychic, and unless you are (protip: you're not) then you can't argue the contrary, but I do know that they've curtailed the barrier of entry for a lot of "bro gamers" by the stream lined choices they've made.

Trickster

Am I the only one that feels like there isn't a lot of equipment in this game? Think I've been to most shops now, and still don't have more than 1-3 pieces of equipment for each part of my suit. Or can I unlock a lot of armor permutations by using the upgrade system?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Cep said:
Reave is definately better than Warp, so much so that i retrained and dropped warp when i picked up reave.

I am iffy about warp ammo. I did a test run where I used warp ammo on my sentinel, and I was not impressed.

I just know that if you need warp ammo, you may just want to put it on your sentinel since there are better options than Jack.

Hrm. I'm planning on rolling with Grunt/Miranda for the end game, so I guess I can live with squad fire ammo.

Out of all the skills, Reave is probably the only other viable alternative.

Vamphuntr

It's an extremly good game but I was slightly disappointed with some aspects.. I think I followed the hype train a bit much. I watched every trailers, read every interviews and well I was lost in the hype/lies. The plot wasn't what was I expected. It's basically non existant appart the very few story mission. The rest is character recruiting/Loyalty boosting mission. Characters interaction was also a bit lame. I can't talk more about it now since a lot of gaffers didn't beat it yet but I will come back on this later :D .

Macmanus

soldat7 said:
What about Modern Warfare? You don't need to dumb down your RPG elements in order to be a mass market success. Well designed customization systems can only help your game.

Absolutely, but only to an extent. Modern Warfare is not, in any sense of the word (except the literal one) an RPG. You unlock more guns by simply playing further. You aren't developing a talent tree. You aren't picking partners based on their builds.

It's obvious that RPG elements can add to any game, and the illusion of a carrot on a stick certainly enhances the sense of reward. However you can only do so much before the non-hardcore RPG players start to get turned off, or the system is simply above their head.

I'm not arguing what I feel is a superior system. I want as much RPG customization as possible. That is what I mostly play. RPGs. Specifically western. However it seems clear that, as you pointed out, an action oriented game with the inclusion of RPG elements has a better chance of selling then the polar opposite. It also appeals to a broader audience.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Macmanus said:
Oblivion did the same thing, and sold like gangbusters.

Bethesda's direction with Oblivion was a different boat though. Bethesda streamlined Oblivion by almost totally removing the choice/consquence aspect of the game. You can join every guild, do every quest, max out most important stats, and finish most quests in a single way. It was pretty striking contrast to the previous entries that had guild clashing, guild entry fees in terms of stats and skills, different ways to end quests, etc.

Streamlining is obviously here as well but the core idea behind the original Mass Effect is still here. The choice/consiquence of conversations and questing is still here, as is character development.

REV 09

Vamphuntr said:
It's an extremly good game but I was slightly disappointed with some aspects.. I think I followed the hype train a bit much. I watched every trailers, read every interviews and well I was lost in the hype/lies. The plot wasn't what was I expected. It's basically non existant appart the very few story mission. The rest is character recruiting/Loyalty boosting mission. Characters interaction was also a bit lame. I can't talk more about it now since a lot of gaffers didn't beat it yet but I will come back on this later :D .
there's a separate thread for those who have finished the game.

Cep

Banned
Vamphuntr said:

I too followed this game too closely, but I never deluded myself into thinking the plot was going to be impressive, I was right.

As you say though, good game.

Mindlog

Zzoram said:
I've spent over 6 hours scanning already, but I think that's only half of the possible mining. I have all the upgrades you can buy after finishing Omega, Purgatory and Tuchanka, plus all the ship upgrades available from those party members, and still have 250,000 of each mineral.

Yeah, once I had a majority of the upgrades I'd only scan for minerals when needed. Rapidly tapping the scanner button made it all go quicker, but too much scanning was necessary. On PC I probably would have created an AHK autoscan script. I believe™ scanning could have been done better with a broad-range/high-fi dual scanner system to help speed things up. Scanning is one of my few trivial complaints about the game.

The scanning and also reloading. I never had too many ammo issues and I still switched weapons to deal with a bunch of different target states. Bioware is selling themselves short not investing the time to explore an ME1 based heat management system.

In the ME2 Hype thread I was one of the people complaining about the RPG elements being oversimplified. I don't feel that way anymore. The new equip system is a little more logical. It didn't make sense for N7 Commando Sheppard to start with crap base armor and level 1 weapons. The power evolution is almost exactly the same as it was in ME1. Respec is in (awesome.) Power combos (awesome.) Crossclass bonus powers (really awesome.) I'm only concerned that my next play through on insanity is going to make me realize exactly how useless a lot of the powers are :lol

Losing inventory had one outstanding side effect. It balanced the economy.

I want my ME1 apartment ported over.

I liked the ending. A certain character design could have been a little more high concept, but it didn't bother me too much. The ending was a natural parallel to many of the other stories in the game. It's leading me to believe that certain factions will be seeking redemption by keeping another from befalling their fate.
Race spoilers to that speculation:
Rachni, Krogan, Geth saving Humanity above Earth.
The conversations with party members
Legion & Mordin
pretty much laid out exactly what you had to do at the end of the game. One of the choices is completely illogical regardless of alignment.

In conclusion;
The humorous fan service worked on me. The game is spectacular. Letting me play, "The Wards" in my quarters (dawwwwwww.) yadda yadda yadda The game is everything I wanted and I'm not a member of the expanded audience. yadda fans of the genre yadda. Getting ME3 Collector's Edition as well.

How much more did I enjoy ME2 beyond what I was expecting?
Just look at the Thresher Maws.

Now listening:
The Real ME2 ending theme.

I.
In fact.
Have two ears.

Dennis

Banned
I don't believe for a second that the success of Mass Effect 2 is due to "streamlining" (read: reducing) the RPG elements.

It would be equally successful and acclaimed by reviewers had they simply fixed the broken loot/inventory system instead of removing it, and kept the stronger character stat system.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Vamphuntr said:

seriously fuck you and now I ve been spoiled in a non-story related ME2 thread while only being 9hrs into the game, I mean, story structure spoiler...

Ducarmel

Vamphuntr said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385766

post here man I want to read it.

Trickster said:
Am I the only one that feels like there isn't a lot of equipment in this game? Think I've been to most shops now, and still don't have more than 1-3 pieces of equipment for each part of my suit. Or can I unlock a lot of armor permutations by using the upgrade system?
I asked if new game plus meant more and better weapons an armor like in ME1, but nobody mentioned anything. I don't want to start a new game plus yet to play insanity because I do want to try out the other classes.

Vamphuntr said:
20 minutes? To be honest I think It took about 3-5 minutes for me. If you use everyone one power and you have heavy weapon ammo it's as easy as Saren.

What heavy weapon did you use? I started with Grenade Launcher and after I died, it let me choose a load out, so I went with Cain, which doesn't work at all, so I commited suicide and chipped it down with the Missile launcher. I'm sure I did something wrong because everyone said it was easy, so it can't just be that I was on Hardcore since most people are playing at Vet or higher. I should add that my group was Miranda and Mordin who I used as my group for barrier removal more than damage dealing, so they were both just using Heavy Pistols. Mordin would Heavy Incinerate every once in a while, but not for much damage.

I ended at 44 hours. Considering I'm by far the outlier so far, I guess I did waste too much time scanning and typing. We'll see how the next one goes.

I'm looking forward to doing everything the exact opposite. Not looking forward to getting the last two achievements (Insanity and 100% survival rate), but it's crazy that you can pretty easily get them all in one run through if you have an import save. It took like four minimum for 1000/1000 Mass Effect. Possibly three if you're able to get the weapon kills without training.

So I got that heavy weapon (where you can freeze Mechs) with. I used it against a mech, and then me and Jack used a Shockwave simultaneously - that was the biggest explosion I've seen, my controller was vibrating violently :lol

Cep

Banned
MegaKungFuRadio said:
What heavy weapon did you use? I started with Grenade Launcher and after I died, it let me choose a load out, so I went with Cain, which doesn't work at all, so I commited suicide and chipped it down with the Missile launcher. I'm sure I did something wrong because everyone said it was easy, so it can't just be that I was on Hardcore since most people are playing at Vet or higher. I should add that my group was Miranda and Mordin who I used as my group for barrier removal more than damage dealing, so they were both just using Heavy Pistols. Mordin would Heavy Incinerate every once in a while, but not for much damage.

I ended at 44 hours. Considering I'm by far the outlier so far, I guess I did waste too much time scanning and typing. We'll see how the next one goes.

I'm looking forward to doing everything the exact opposite. Not looking forward to getting the last two achievements (Insanity and 100% survival rate), but it's crazy that you can pretty easily get them all in one run through if you have an import save. It took like four minimum for 1000/1000 Mass Effect. Possibly three if you're able to get the weapon kills without training.

Yeah, I got all the achievements on my first playthrough. Took me over 60 hours.

Ducarmel

Meus Renaissance said:
So I got that heavy weapon (where you can freeze Mechs) with. I used it against a mech, and then me and Jack used a Shockwave simultaneously - that was the biggest explosion I've seen, my controller was vibrating violently :lol
Did you start a new game plus I don't remember a weapon doing that. Whats it called.

Am I the only one who got a huge Batman vibe from
The whole Garrus becoming Archangel deal
?

They should totally release DLC that takes place sometime after the
Normandy SR1 crash where you play as Garrus on Omega, taking on risky missions to disrupt the various gangs and their dealings. Omega is totally the Gotham City of space in Mass Effect.

MisterAnderson said:
?

Normandy SR1 crash where you play as Garrus on Omega, taking on risky missions to disrupt the various gangs and their dealings. Omega is totally the Gotham City of space in Mass Effect.

Definitely didn't get that vibe...

Macmanus

EatChildren said:
Bethesda's direction with Oblivion was a different boat though. Bethesda streamlined Oblivion by almost totally removing the choice/consquence aspect of the game. You can join every guild, do every quest, max out most important stats, and finish most quests in a single way. It was pretty striking contrast to the previous entries that had guild clashing, guild entry fees in terms of stats and skills, different ways to end quests, etc.

Don't forget level scaling, fast travel, map markers, etc.

The simple fact remains: Simplified mechanics and an obvious interface improves it's chances to appeal to a larger audience. It's one of the reasons that even the Halo franchise took off. It did away with a lot of the conventions of FPS games at the time. Only two weapons at a time. Recharging shields. No real key hunting. Etc.

The population of NeoGaf, and anyone who even visits video game forums to any extent are your hardcore crowd. We are an extreme minority. We love convoluted systems and traditional conventions. The vast majority of people that play video games don't. See: Farmville, The Sims, Nintendo et al.

Question about the Second Disc:

Luckily I had saved before selecting the planet before it prompted me to insert the second disc. I quit back to the dashboard so I can install the 2nd disc onto my HDD. When I'm back at that previous prompt, will it play the game from the HDD or the disc?

Mindlog

MisterAnderson said:
?

I got a more LA 2019 vibe from it.

MegaKungFuRadio said:
Definitely didn't get that vibe...

I didn't mean it to make it sound like his origin gave me that vibe...just the fact that
one man manages to fuck up all these gang's days so bad that they all are trying to take him down. The fact that he is so elusive and skilled that he evades capture time after time and continues to try to make a difference, seemingly in vain; and it all takes place in what reminds me of a futuristic Gotham City.

Meus Renaissance said:
Question about the Second Disc:

Luckily I had saved before selecting the planet before it prompted me to insert the second disc. I quit back to the dashboard so I can install the 2nd disc onto my HDD. When I'm back at that previous prompt, will it play the game from the HDD or the disc?

HDD. Disc will spin for a second or two then play from the HDD.

Zeliard

EatChildren said:
Currently in the middle of doing the
Tali
recruit mission. Fucking amazing level so far. Really atmospheric.

I love the loyalty missions. I've done Jack's, Zaeed's, and Jacob's missions so far and all three were really good. It really helps give a little bit of extra depth to the characters.

Mordin's loyalty mission is excellent. You should go for that one next.

And while the anomaly missions are short, I love how atmospheric some of them are (like the one that takes place
on a derelict space station
. I think that's what they mostly concentrated on with those types of missions - emphasis mostly on mood and setting, rather than the gameplay.

Ducarmel

for those that didn't do loyalty quest of
Tali get Legion first then go to the flotila with him.
puts some perspective on the on going conflict with the two races.

EatChildren

Macmanus said:
The simple fact remains: Simplified mechanics and an obvious interface improves it's chances to appeal to a larger audience. It's one of the reasons that even the Halo franchise took off. It did away with a lot of the conventions of FPS games at the time. Only two weapons at a time. Recharging shields. No real key hunting. Etc.

I know, I was more making a comparison to the vast changes in a franchise formula. Oblivion was strikingly different from previous Elder Scrolls games in pretty dramatic ways, at least from a RPG purist perspective. Mass Effect certainly has be simplified in a number of areas, but the change between these two entries is nowhere near as shifting.

Dennis

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
?

EmCeeGramr kinda beat you on that whole idea. He wanted it with C-sec on Citadel, though.

I like the idea of
Garrus
as a cynical cop on either Omega or Citadel - give
Garrus
his own game Bioware!

Cep said:
Yeah, I got all the achievements on my first playthrough. Took me over 60 hours.

I idea of Insanity on my first playthrough was VERY unappealing. I kind of wanted to do Normal, but I knew it'd be too easy so I started on Veteran and switched it up to Hardcore when the levels and upgrades made that too easy. It's possible Insanity isn't as cheap as I think it is, but I like to be able to take a few hits without dying.

ShogunX

Solo said:
I suppose you could be right. ME3 could end up almost a straight shooter if they keep streamlining it. Which, while fine (since I love shooters), is not what I want Mass Effect to be.

NO.

Zeliard said:
And while the anomaly missions are short, I love how atmospheric some of them are (like the one that takes place
on a derelict space station
. I think that's what they mostly concentrated on with those types of missions - emphasis mostly on mood and setting, rather than the gameplay.

I love that the missions are in smaller number, but all of them are fleshed nicely with good story and new location.

I might get some flame for that, but I approve of all the changes Bioware did to Mass Effect. No need to worry about inventory (is stat X better than stat Y), equiping all party members evenly (because they all share upgrades), smaller missions and locations but varied and plenty (instead of a 3h dungeon that is the same from start to finish). I hope ME3 will be the same. Cannot look at ME1 anymore, it's obvious they learned a lot fromt that.

Wiggum2007

I hate that we can't choose which power to map to the Y button, it has to be your class power. I'm playing as an Adept, and I like to have my Pull/Throw combo readily available on the bumpers, but due to the new system for enemy defenses, I'm using Warp all the time too and would really like to have that on Y. Not sure why they decided not to give the player a choice when it comes to that, but oh well.

EatChildren

People actually theorising Mass Effect 3 will be streamlined into a shooter :lol.

When GAF crashes, GAF burns.

Ultimo hombre said:
How about some Infiltrator tips?

What squad teams are you guys using and how are you spec'ing them out!?

I mix up my squad, but as an infiltrator keep your distance. Shields get ripped through pretty quickly. Hit up your machine pistol/smg with disrupter rounds. It already effective against shields, so having it hit even harder while shooting fast makes quick work of shielded enemies. Just watch the innacuracy and get closer if you need to.

Heavy pistol I equip with cryo rounds and save it for precise distance shots and taking out guys with armor, as that's what it's effective against. Cryo rounds will quickly freeze them, and if you dont want to waste the ammo you can quickly switch to your machine pistol/smg and spray them with rounds at a closer range until they die.

As for the sniper, equip whatever round is useful at the time, and make every shot aim for the head. At every opportunity engage tactical cloak for the shot you'll take, as it will do extra damage.

Chrange

Banned
Wiggum2007 said:
I hate that we can't choose which power to map to the Y button, it has to be your class power. I'm playing as an Adept, and I like to have my Pull/Throw combo readily available on the bumpers, but due to the new system for enemy defenses, I'm using Warp all the time too and would really like to have that on Y. Not sure why they decided not to give the player a choice when it comes to that, but oh well.

They did give you a choice, you chose not to use it :p

Why not just use your teammates to Warp?

I really wish that there was some way to tell which planets you depleted and haven't depleted. I've been using the method of just not exploring planets unless I scan them, so that if I see a planet labeled "unexplored" i know that I still need to scan it for resources, but I don't want to miss any anomolies.

Citizen K

Quick question. Can you only level up the skills that are available at the start? ie are more skill categories opened up later (i'm very early in the game)? seems to be very few skills to upgrade...

Dennis

Banned
I have ended up switching between difficulty settings quite often to get the right amount of challenge. The combat is basically the whole gameplay now, so it needs to be tough but not to tough.

Dennis

Banned
EatChildren said:
People actually theorising Mass Effect 3 will be streamlined into a shooter :lol.

When GAF crashes, GAF burns.
Eh? It is almost a pure shooter, at least gameplay-wise, right now.

DennisK4 said:
I have ended up switching between difficulty settings quite often to get the right amount of challenge. The combat is basically the whole gameplay now, so it needs to be tough but not to tough.

I bumped it up to hardcore and personally, so far I feel that it's just right for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom