• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foil

Standing in the cockpit listening to Joker is pretty funny. He'll just crack out random lines, or in one case laser beam and explosion sound effects. I never noticed those on my first playthrough. :lol

Kapura

Banned
Just completed the endgame. FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

God damnit. My most recent save is something like an hour and a half back.
I
want my achievement for nobody dying, but throughout the endgame Bioware is all like "You know this guy? He dies for no good reason." Through the biotic protection, I chose Miranda to cast with Samara and Jack to back me up. We get to the door, Jack gets eated. I was like "WTF I wasn't expecting that!" And I
had
chosen Grunt to
lead
the alternate for that, and he died to a similar response. For the end-endgame, Miranda and my Solus homeboy both copped it too. I was also not expecting that, and I could do
shit
-all about it. I wasn't expecting these deaths, and they just happened,
making me :mad:

but I loled when
Mordin sang and implied I was hitting on him

Duke Togo

I've been gaming for a long time. Between this game and Demon's Souls, I can't recall the last time I was this absorbed in a game. The production quality is just unreal. This is an early runner for GOTY for me.

Patryn

user_nat said:
Sorta annoys me how the 3rd squad member is always completely silent on loyalty missions.

Not always.
Miranda piped up at a moment during Mordin's in my game, and Tali had quite a bit to say during Legion's. Miranda and Jack bickered a bit during Jack's, as well. But I'm talking like 2 or 3 lines max in each.

Cep

Banned
Duke Togo said:
I've been gaming for a long time. Between this game and Demon's Souls, I can't recall the last time I was this absorbed in a game. The production quality is just unreal. This is an early runner for GOTY for me.

Demon's Souls and Mass Effect 2 are the top two RPGs this gen. No one that disputes this is sane.

diss

Banned
I would like a way to check some statistics. e.g. Number of shots fired from X weapon, % accuracy, % headshots, number of times a particular biotic/tech/ability used, amount of time each squad member has spent out on missions. If this is actually in the game, please tell me where I can access it :p

Anyway I love this game. The gameplay gives me Deus Ex vibes.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mordin's loyalty quest was really good and helped develop him as a character much more than I expected. He's certainly one of the deeper characters in the game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
b-but you play as a role. Female Shepard is one of the few video game characters that was actually compelled me to 'play the role' as opposed to 'BE THE GOOD GUY' or in a Bethesda game 'BE EVERYTHING'.

EatChildren said:
Mordin's loyalty quest was really good and helped develop him as a character much more than I expected. He's certainly one of the deeper characters in the game.
yeah, there were some exceptional character moments in that one.

one of the highlights of the game for me so far.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
EatChildren said:

Yeah I thought so too. Which is why I like this game more than Mass Effect, the first one didn't hit home emotionally like mass effect 2. Take Tali's loyalty quest fro example then compare it to just getting data from the Geth in the first game, leagues apart in terms of story.

Just beat the game...clocked in at 50 hours.

X_X.

I don't know what to say. ME1 was my most played game this gen by a wide margin and other than the first few tidbits I've been on a media blackout on this game for a while now. I've turned the channel when trailers were on TV and I've done everything in my power to remain spoiler free. It's definitely paid off. I was pleasantly surprised by so many things. I don't think there are many games that are even worth blacking out on but Mass Effect 3 is one of them. So much better when you just don't know shit. The wait will be just ridiculous though...good god.

I don't really even know where to begin. The combat is just such an improvement over the original. I've heard complaints about streamlining and I understand the opinions of people who want more of those ME1 roleplaying elements but I actually loved the way the game was changed here. Of course I'd love some explorable UCW's in ME3 and more weapons and options in general but the general setup here is pretty good imo.

Have there ever been characters so awesome in a game before? I mean how do you go about topping these characters? It's ridiculous how awesome they are. I went from
absolutely dreading using Tali and hating her character in Mass Effect to actually romancing her in ME2
...that's how big of a change was made in terms of character development.

There is just so much here that I'd like to talk about but it'd take forever to type. Just a 10/10 game imo...not much more to say.

Agnates

Banned
I just bought this via GamersGate. It's my first time using that service, but it was cheaper than Steam (for non-UK Europe at least), and as it's a single player game I didn't mind too much if the service turned out faulty in some ways. But I didn't want to try Direct2Drive as I don't like their policy of requiring custom patches and shit like that (though I don't think it's an issue with this particular game). So far so good, downloading the game now but it's huge obviously so it will take a while. About 13 hours even, I only have a 2Mbit connection. I hope this game is worth it, I'm relatively spoiler free as well, not because I was on black out but because I sorta wasn't a BIG fan of the first game, but this seems to have enough improvements to give Bioware another chance (but never again, Bioware!) :D

diss

Banned
Himuro said:
That said, I can't call it an rpg. I just can't. I've played a lot of rpgs and I can't label this as one. The customization is such a small part of the game for me, and while it's story-based, rpgs aren't the only story-based genre. The battle system isn't really rpg-ish either, so that just leaves the typical western rpg dialogue tree.

After playing it, I wouldn't label it as a third person shooter either as that's not the focal point of the game, either. I'd probably say it's an action adventure game, with a heavy emphasis on action, less on adventure - but it's still there - while having some rpg elements.
It is funny that no one would confuse this with an RPG in what we usually take that term to mean, but you won't find many other games where you actually have such variable influence over the universe through the way you decide to roleplay your character.

I'd call it an RPG shooter for lack of anything that it really fits in with. Action adventure games to me imply something like Uncharted or 3D platformers.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
mineral gathering in ME3 should basically be peggle. make it happen.

Hm, I just started ME2 just now. Someone in earlier in the thread said I could choose major ME1 plot lines if I lost my ME1 saves, but I don't see it anywhere?

This game is awesome :D - and I don't know why, but I really enjoy mining. Also, really glad I can play it on PC at a silky smooth 60fps. On the downside, creepy uncanny valley and the hair is as ugly as ever (can't help its engine, I guess).

Himuro said:
That said, I can't call it an rpg. I just can't. I've played a lot of rpgs and I can't label this as one. The customization is such a small part of the game for me, and while it's story-based, rpgs aren't the only story-based genre. The battle system isn't really rpg-ish either, so that just leaves the typical western rpg dialogue tree. [/spoiler]

Oh my god.

What the fuck?

Mass Effect 2 is about as close to roleplaying as it gets.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
i'm definitely in the 'ME2 is an RPG' camp.

not a traditional RPG, but certainly an RPG. if ME2 isn't a 'role-playing game', then I don't know what is. it might be the first of its kind (I wouldn't know), but there's certainly room in a genre as wide-reaching as 'RPG' for it.

Choc

Banned
Guys how do you call someone to shepards room (level 1)?

i can't find a phone or anything? apparently you can do this?

deathberry

Neo Member
Finished the game at 28+ hours. No side-quests, limited resource mining; just enough to upgrade the Normandy's defenses.

One question about the ending...

Jack had 'normal' loyalty after I gave preference to Miranda over her when they were arguing. In the final mission I chose everyone except Jack, and didn't see her in any of the cutscenes which required decisions to be made on the Collector's base. Why the hell did she die?! I made sure to choose anyone except her, so does she get auto chosen or something?

Besides that, I spent a long time thinking about the final decision in the game, and what implications it will this have on ME3. I chose
to blow that shit up, so Illusive Man's pissed, but atleast in ME3 he won't turn out to be one of the villains, thus saving me a facepalm :D

Also, I got the Paramour achievement after the ending when I decided to continue the game :lol Miranda was used, and after that I went to Tali, who wouldn't do it until I broke up with Miranda first! I thought Tali wouldn't know anything since she's 2 floors beneath Miranda :p

diss

Banned
Himuro said:
Action adventure means a lot of things for me. For example, Zelda, or Tomb Raider, or Uncharted. I don't see why Mass Effect 2 can't fit in that area considering how light the rpg elements are.
Well that's your opinion and your understanding of the term. It's not something I want to argue against :p I think the main point here is that some games just don't fit neatly in genre boxes, and god I really do like it when they don't.

Jerk

Banned
Rez said:
i'm definitely in the 'ME2 is an RPG' camp.

not a traditional RPG, but certainly an RPG. if ME2 isn't a 'role-playing game', then I don't know what is. it's arguably the first of its kind (I wouldn't know), but there's certainly room in a genre as wide-reaching as 'RPG' for it.

Agreed.

Dark FaZe said:
Oh my god.

What the fuck?

Mass Effect 2 is about as close to roleplaying as it gets.

No! Hyperbole cheapens what was initially a good argument.

remz

Choc said:
Guys how do you call someone to shepards room (level 1)?

i can't find a phone or anything? apparently you can do this?
if anyone goes up there pretty sure it'll happen because of conversation with a character elsewhere

Jerk

Banned
diss said:
Well that's your opinion and your understanding of the term. It's not something I want to argue against :p I think the main point here is that some games just don't fit neatly in genre boxes, and god I really do like it when they don't.

I am indifferent. A good game is a good game.

But I am a big fan of calling things what they are and ME2 is an RPG.

mavs

Himuro said:
:lol

We have different definitions of the genre. My definition is all about customization, not dialogue trees.

It's still weird to lump it in with games that have no dialogue at all. Really, Zelda?

Agnates

Banned
FromTheFuture said:
I see. Thanks.

Is it even worth looking into getting the save? Or should I just play the "standard" story line given?
Up to you. I personally don't care, and don't even remember the choices I made to get the right save. It's not like the story was a masterpiece that immersed me in every way and now I'll not feel at home... If only. But I haven't played ME2 yet, just bought it.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Himuro said:
[...] I can't call it an rpg. [...] I've played a lot of rpgs and I can't label this as one. The customization is such a small part of the game for me, and while it's story-based, rpgs aren't the only story-based genre. The battle system isn't really rpg-ish either, so that just leaves the typical western rpg dialogue tree.

After playing it, I wouldn't label it as a third person shooter either as that's not the focal point of the game, either. I'd probably say it's an action adventure game, with a heavy emphasis on action, less on adventure - but it's still there - while having some rpg elements.

[...] action adventure series for CoD sluts. The game is actually better for pursuing this direction.
I have to agree it's ... where's the RPG? Even though I haven't finished it, I've pretty much felt this way from the first few hours. The level-up system is irrelevant, especially since you only get a fixed XP rate after missions, and random bits of XP from side-quests-- side-quests being the only RPG part of this game I believe, imo.

However, I would actually classify this game as third person shooter with sci-fi elements (of course), I dare say: I have compared this game to Uncharted (2) a few times because of how much shooting was going on--this probably also has to do with the fact that I'm an infiltrator--and the positive graphical improvements as well as lighting. Non-spoiler ...
Though I have to say I'm getting a little tired of the orange/purple/pink "five o'clock" dusk look in almost every planet :/

Jerk

Banned
Himuro said:
Hateradio: I consider Uncharted an action adventure due to the amount of exploration. It's not a pure shooter.

Less and less of these now, they are being crowded out.

This is a good thing.

Thought I'd comment on the negative aspects of your analysis Himuro.

Himuro said:
- Honestly, I think the biggest and only true disappointment for me personally with this game, is the soundtrack. I thought the original's soundtrack evoked something unique, something different for game soundtracks. The 70/80's synth really worked in the game's favor. Now, due to the game's upgraded presentation, the soundtrack sounds far more generic and theatrical, which works at times, but not always. The ending theme for instance is completely in the shadow of the original's ending theme, which is probably one of the best game ending theme's I've ever heard. Instead, we get another generic LOL CINEMATIC AND EPIC SOUNDTRACK for the dudebro's.

I turned my sound effects down and kept the music up. I'd agree for the most part . There were some great tracks in the game but I'd give the edge to ME1. Still a fun track, I just wondering if they were all used properly. I wouldn't be surprised if the soundtrack was actually better than I remember if I listen to it on its own.

Himuro said:
- ME1 -> ME2 save transfer. It was cool at first, but I feel that there was a lot of missed opportunities with it. Maybe I expected something different, but most of the things I did in ME1 really didn't carry much weight, and when they did they were just superficial things like getting an email from some guy I met in ME1. It didn't really impact the story much for me, although I can imagine it being completely different if you head to Tunchaga or whatever (Krogan homeworld) and Wrex isn't there.

I thought it was well done and should be even better in ME3. People have to remember that there weren't THAT many huge choices in ME1. There were a ton of smaller choices with people but did you really expect those to be touched on significantly? There were also decisions that will take longer to develop like
the Rachni, Williams/Kaidens involvement in ME3, and further differences with your council choice
. I think we all would have loved a bit more depth here but Bioware can only do so much.

Himuro said:
- Like with the original Mass Effect, it seems like the characters have very few lines of dialogue. They're a great cast, but they rarely interact. They say the same thing on the Normandy for half the game. ME1 had a neutered party talk. In past Bioware games, you could strike up a convo with your party at any time, not just at the main hub. But there was still a feature where they said a cute one-liner. Even that's gone in ME2. In ME1, your party would converse on elevator rides, and while I don't mourn the loss of boring 1 minute long elevator rides to C-Sec, I do miss the crazy convos they'd have.

So while I love the cast in ME2, I feel they're all so under utilized it doesn't even matter. In Dragon Age, your party is conversing all the damn time, and going from that to what's in ME2 feels like a total step back.

I pretty much agree with this. More interaction between party members would have been cool.

Himuro said:
- Minerals and resources. This is the one thing I don't understand about ME2. Why did they bring back what was arguably the worst feature from the first game and make it integral to getting the best ending in the game? Not only this, but it's the only way to upgrade weapons/armor/respec/get a bonus skill. Really, Bioware? Please get rid of this mining stuff in general and replace it with something that's fun. It takes a lot to make me yawn and want to go to sleep when playing a game and scanning planets in ME2 surely made me do it. At least in ME1, you're doing something.

I would agree with this also though I didn't find it as cumbersome as most. I hate mining in general. I'd rather scan planets then go through the entire process of dropping my ship on an UCW and manually searching for minerals but a new idea really has to be gotten.

Jooolieeezy said:
The crappy thing about playing Mass Effect 2, is that waiting for Mass Effect 3 is gonna be a BITCH
Nah, EA and Bioware have plenty of DLC planned to fill the gap. There'll be a trickle of small stuff and at least one large ME2->ME3 story-pack. Count on it.

Actually, that just proves you point now I think more on it ...

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Himuro said:
Hateradio: I consider Uncharted an action adventure due to the amount of exploration. It's not a pure shooter.
It's only exploration if you're looking for the trophies/artifacts. :D Otherwise it's just one long uphill battle with guns.

mavs

Himuro said:
3d Zelda games have plenty of dialogue, especially Majora's Mask.

Dialogue is not a requirement or even a definition of what is an rpg.

I don't know if that qualifies as "dialogue". Sure, it's functionally equivalent to what you get from interacting with NPCs in some RPGS (certain FF games), but...it also doesn't fit the actual definition of "dialogue" very well. More like, "cutscene", or in the case of Uncharted, simply "voice acting". Civ 2 had dialogue when you put it that way.

Dialogue trees are so closely associated with WRPGs that they can be considered an RPG element.

Games like Silent Hill or Resident Evil have dialogue. They're horror games, but they play like action adventure games.

What say you?

Are they action adventure games? Is Mass Effect an RPG that plays like an action adventure game?

diss

Banned
Trouble said:
Holy crap I've been playing for 27.5 hours and I just now discovered that
there's a bathroom in Shepard's cabin!
?? Really? Now I've gotta go check this out :p

Why is it that in the restrooms on crew deck the shower heads are arranged so that you're facing two other guys while you lather up? Also I find it amusing that they bothered to install a tiny screen between toilet bowls but someone coming through the door is going to get a frontal view of you taking a shit

ThusZarathustra said:
Nah, EA and Bioware have plenty of DLC planned to fill the gap. There'll be a trickle of small stuff and at least one large ME2->ME3 story-pack. Count on it.

Actually, that just proves you point now I think more on it ...

LOL, see? But, yeah, there should be plenty of DLC and more playthroughs on ME1 and ME2 to fill the void until ME3 comes out.. I'm hoping within a year and a half, two or three is just too long :(

Olivero

Trouble said:
Holy crap I've been playing for 27.5 hours and I just now discovered that
there's a bathroom in Shepard's cabin!

.... No way.

Upon closer inspection, there is a
SLIDING DOOR that allows access.
Mind blown. :lol :lol

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
diss said:

Why is it that in the restrooms on crew deck the shower heads are arranged so that... you'd be facing two other guys while you lather up.
They also have very open toilets.

diss said:

Why is it that in the restrooms on crew deck the shower heads are arranged so that... you'd be facing two other guys while you lather up.

I love how if you walk into the Women's restroom, EDI tells you that you're in the wrong one. :lol :lol

Man, Kelly is a lying bitch. I walked past her and she said I had unread messages, but I went to my terminal and there were none. She's getting left behind at the next Blue Suns hideout I find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom