• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know how to redeem the blood dragon armor from dragon age in this game? I try logging in to the EA online account I have linked to ME2 360 and there is a server error. (steam version).

Patryn

FleckSplat said:
Anyone know how to redeem the blood dragon armor from dragon age in this game? I try logging in to the EA online account I have linked to ME2 360 and there is a server error. (steam version).

You have to connect to the Cerberus Network on your 360. If you DLed it in DA with the same Live name, it'll show up as available extra content. No added codes needed.

Macmanus said:
Holy shit the
Collector's Ship
was awesome.

Holy shit the claymore shotgun is incredible. It makes the vangaurd good again.

Is the range any better than the other shotguns? I gave up on shotguns because I needed to get too close to enemies for them to be effective.

Patryn

FleckSplat said:
I didn't download it on DA yet. How do I do that?

Boot up DA, then select Downloadable Content from the main menu. Hit Y to enter your given code. It'll download.

After that, it should show up on the Cerberus Network for you.

ColonelColon said:
Is the range any better than the other shotguns? I gave up on shotguns because I needed to get too close to enemies for them to be effective.
Yeah, the range is much better and it is very powerful. Only downside is the single shot clip, you have to reload after every shot.

My female Shepard, Athena, is hot.

314qx53.jpg

Macmanus

ColonelColon said:

If it is, it's only slightly.

It'll take down a full set of shields, health, and a bit more at point blank. You throw warp ammo on there, and you're taking down anything mighty fast.

kylej

Banned
Starting this having just finished the first ME earlier today. When Miranda said, "a lot of empty buildings and one giant mystery" I couldn't help but smile.

X26

Banned
There's one thing I like much more in ME1 than in ME2, and that's the feeling of your character progressing. In ME1 when you find a good gun and add a bunch of nice mods to it or beef up your abilities, it shows. In ME2, not so much, if at all. I just started a new game+ and my level 28 shep doesn't take down stuff in the first missions any faster than my level 3 or shep did. New game+ may just have level scaling I'm not aware of, but this is the case within my inital playthrough too.

soldat7

X26 said:
There's one thing I like much more in ME1 than in ME2, and that's the feeling of your character progressing. In ME1 when you find a good gun and add a bunch of nice mods to it or beef up your abilities, it shows. In ME2, not so much, if at all. I just started a new game+ and my level 28 shep doesn't take down stuff in the first missions any faster than my level 3 or shep did. New game+ may just have level scaling I'm not aware of, but this is the case within my inital playthrough too.

If ME was a little too broken and convoluted, and ME2 a little too dumbed-down and lacking in depth, I really hope ME3 is just right.

Macmanus

X26 said:

What classes have you played? I feel the complete opposite.

I'm feeling rock solid progression in this game. I feel like I'm getting stronger as I'm unlocking the tier 4 abilities for myself and my team mates in addition to researching upgrades.

In Mass Effect 1, their were two stages of the game for me. Before the Spectre weapons, and after the Spectre weapons. Since their were so many worthless side missions you could do for heaps of loot, by level 15 you easily had the 1,000,000 credits and it was all down hill from there.

TheFreshPrince

Can someone help me with the 'point of no return', and what exactly you can't come back to? I'm about to do the
IFF Reaper Mission
, and it seems like this might be that point.

Also, how much main game left? 25%?

ianp622

Does anyone have some non-loyalty side-missions they found particularly compelling or fun? I'd prefer mostly talking, but if the action is good, I wouldn't mind either. I already did the
crashing ship and mech virus
ones.

Ventrue

TheFreshPrince said:
Can someone help me with the 'point of no return', and what exactly you can't come back to? I'm about to do the
IFF Reaper Mission
, and it seems like this might be that point.

Also, how much main game left? 25%?

You can do that mission and not be forced into the end game, but it is close. Also note that you can do any of the sidequests after finishing the main quest.

Zeliard

Macmanus said:
What classes have you played? I feel the complete opposite.

I'm feeling rock solid progression in this game. I feel like I'm getting stronger as I'm unlocking the tier 4 abilities for myself and my team mates in addition to researching upgrades.

In Mass Effect 1, their were two stages of the game for me. Before the Spectre weapons, and after the Spectre weapons. Since their were so many worthless side missions you could do for heaps of loot, by level 15 you easily had the 1,000,000 credits and it was all down hill from there.

If you play Vanguard in ME2 you'll see an extremely noticeable increase in your battle efficiency and versatility as the game progresses and you start locking more of the level 4 abilities (as well as the extra weapon class).

kai3345

Banned
ianp622 said:
Does anyone have some non-loyalty side-missions they found particularly compelling or fun? I'd prefer mostly talking, but if the action is good, I wouldn't mind either. I already did the
crashing ship and mech virus
ones.

There was one, I can't remember the name of it, but I'm fairly certain it was in the system with the mass relay closest to Jacob's loyalty quest. It didn't have much of a story except that you dropped in on a Blue Sun base and they're all "oh shit" but its got a lot of Element Zero and is pretty fun. It also ties into the main story at the very end.

Why is the upgrade menu system such a mess. Why can I see so many upgrades that I can't actually upgrade? Most of them are grey and for a lot of them I see I don't have enough resources, but then I get the resources and the upgrade still can't be made. I really don't understand how its supposed to work, why its showing me all these upgrades I can't use.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I must be crazy, GAF.

I just purchased this game and uploaded my Renegade character from ME1. A few hours in, I somehow feel that I am uncomfortable with a Renegade-aligned character (though for strange reason I didn't mind doing it on my around 40 hours ME1 play-through), and so I have decided to redo the entire ME1 just so I can play as a Paragon character from the very first part of Mass Effect universe.

Maybe part of the reason why I'm doing that is because I always think (while playing ME2 for a brief while) that if I want to act all Renegade-like, I am bound to miss some quests or, since this game employs loyalty-system just like Dragon Age, all of the party members will hate me and shower me with no loyalty :(

My experience from playing Dragon Age giving me the impression that playing as a 'good guy' tends to pay off more: party members liking you more (giving bonuses to stats, or in ME2 case, loyalty?) and you can avoid risking losing quests.

Or should I just brace my teeth and continue my renegade character as is...? Hmm, need some advice please, GAF.

TheHeretic said:
Why is the upgrade menu system such a mess. Why can I see so many upgrades that I can't actually upgrade? Most of them are grey and for a lot of them I see I don't have enough resources, but then I get the resources and the upgrade still can't be made. I really don't understand how its supposed to work, why its showing me all these upgrades I can't use.

Because it tells you what you need in order to acquire it. The menu listing purchased upgrades can use some organization, but what you're complaining about isn't confusing at all.

Zeliard

TheHeretic said:

Yeah, it's pretty goofy. For the grayed out ones you'll notice on the top that it tells you that it requires another upgrade before you can actually buy that one. As in, it requires you to have unlocked that other upgrade, not necessarily to have bought it. You can potentially be locked out of upgrades because you missed upgrade loot while scouring certain planets.

I scour them shits like a motherfucker, personally, so it hasn't been an issue for me.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Laughing Banana said:
Maybe part of the reason why I'm doing that is because I always think (while playing ME2 for a brief while) that if I want to act all Renegade-like, I am bound to miss some quests or, since this game employs loyalty-system just like Dragon Age, all of the party members will hate me and shower me with no loyalty :(

My experience from playing Dragon Age giving me the impression that playing as a 'good guy' tends to pay off more: party members liking you more (giving bonuses to stats, or in ME2 case, loyalty?) and you can avoid risking losing quests.

Or should I just brace my teeth and continue my renegade character as is...? Hmm, need some advice please, GAF.

You can still gain loyalty as a renegade, and I don't recall any paragon only quests this time around.

You may end a sidequest rather early, or dismiss them, but there are always neutral options, and renegade options once you get into the quest itself.

MegaKungFuRadio said:
Because it tells you what you need in order to acquire it. The menu listing purchased upgrades can use some organization, but what you're complaining about isn't confusing at all.

Its confusing because it doesn't distinguish between:

What you already have and can use
What you already have but can't use
What you don't have

At least as far as I understand it. Its pretty fucked up. I don't even know if you have to buy/find all upgrades, I seem to have some I have no recollection of obtaining.

TheHeretic said:
Its confusing because it doesn't distinguish between:

What you already have and can use
What you already have but can't use
What you don't have

At least as far as I understand it. Its pretty fucked up. I don't even know if you have to buy/find all upgrades, I seem to have some I have no recollection of obtaining.

Everything you've upgraded it the Upgrade menu. Everything you discovered/purchased and can research is in the research menu. What you don't have doesn't show up anywhere.

I just finished rounding up the squad members at the beginning and saved. Then,
The Illusive Man called me in for a debriefing and sent me to where Ashley is. I didn't unfreeze the Krogan yet and I want to try that before going. Also, I was considering going to the Citadel. Without spoiling anything for me, can I just do the Citadel after this mission or should I do it first?

MegaKungFuRadio said:
Everything you've upgraded it the Upgrade menu. Everything you can research is in the research menu. What you don't have doesn't show up anywhere.

So why is certain stuff I can afford with no prereqs being grayed out?

For example, Sniper headshot bonus damage. I have the resources for it but its still grayed out, I'm not seeing anything in the description I need before I can use it.

Doytch

TheHeretic said:

For example, Sniper headshot bonus damage. I have the resources for it but its still grayed out, I'm not seeing anything in the description I need before I can use it.
You need to buy/find an upgrade first. I think the way it works is that there's some upgrades you find/buy and benefit from, and then those unlock further research projects. At least, that's what I gleaned from the text.

TheHeretic said:

So it doesn't say requires one more Sniper Rifle damage upgrade? Can't say I've come across that in nearly 60 hours of gameplay.

ijm72

I have an Inferno Armor code that I got from amazon but I have no use for it since I downloaded everything for free thanks to the online glitch. The first person to quote me gets it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Metroidvania said:
You can still gain loyalty as a renegade, and I don't recall any paragon only quests this time around.

You may end a sidequest rather early, or dismiss them, but there are always neutral options, and renegade options once you get into the quest itself.

A question, if I may. Uh, I'm not sure if it's spoilerish or not--I think not, but just on the safe side:

I don't really care about romance in ME1 since I personally think that all of the available options are uninteresting and 'I am alone' attitude befits a Renegade character well. However,
is it true that Tali is available as an option for romance in ME2?
Man, now that would be hard to resist even for my Renegade character :lol

Should I be always nice to her if I want to romance her? If I kept my Renegade-ish attitude around her she will still be available? Hmm. Because it would be weird for my character to be rude to anyone else and act all bigoted to Aliens and yet he's still all nice and warm to her, hahaha.

ianp622

prodystopian said:
I just finished rounding up the squad members at the beginning and saved. Then,
The Illusive Man called me in for a debriefing and sent me to where Ashley is. I didn't unfreeze the Krogan yet and I want to try that before going. Also, I was considering going to the Citadel. Without spoiling anything for me, can I just do the Citadel after this mission or should I do it first?

You can do the Ashley mission first.

ianp622

Laughing Banana said:
A question, if I may. Uh, I'm not sure if it's spoilerish or not--I think not, but just on the safe side:

I don't really care about romance in ME1 since I personally think that all of the available options are uninteresting and 'I am alone' attitude befits a Renegade character well. However,
is it true that Tali is available as an option for romance in ME2?
Man, now that would be hard to resist even for my Renegade character :lol

Should I be always nice to her if I want to romance her? If I kept my Renegade-ish attitude around her she will still be available? Hmm. Because it would be weird for my character to be rude to anyone else and act all bigoted to Aliens and yet he's still all nice and warm to her, hahaha.

It's true.

MegaKungFuRadio said:
So it doesn't say requires one more Sniper Rifle damage upgrade? Can't say I've come across that in nearly 60 hours of gameplay.

I assumed it was showing me things I hadn't found yet, are you sure this isn't how it works? The whole thing is poorly designed regardless as I really don't know whats going on. I don't recall ever finding the upgrade, for one.

Metroidvania

Laughing Banana said:

As others have said, it is indeed possible.

However, acting as a renegade never leads to a romance, no one's going to like you if you're a dick.

You'll have to be nice to people if you want to romance them. I know several people in the thread who have done just that, be nice to one specific person in order to get the romance.

I assumed it was showing me things I hadn't found yet, are you sure this isn't how it works? The whole thing is poorly designed regardless as I really don't know whats going on. I don't recall ever finding the upgrade, for one.

It's odd, to say the least.

For the "extra" upgrade, i.e. snipers do more headshot damage....those will be grayed out until you buy/find and upgrade the respective weapons damage 10% + mod. Then, after x mods, you will be able to research the "special" upgrades with your resources.

It should always say "requires one more sniper rifle upgrade to research" or something.

Metroidvania said:
As others have said, it is indeed possible.

However, acting as a renegade never leads to a romance, no one's going to like you if you're a dick.

You'll have to be nice to people if you want to romance them. I know several people in the thread who have done just that, be nice to one specific person in order to get the romance.

You can still be a dick to them, just not every response.

careful said:
How do you call up Tali to your room to hang out and cuddle? (saw it on Youtube)

You gotta finish the game first and foremost. After that I dunno. maybe just talk to her and tell her to meet you upo there.

Gotta link to the youtube vid?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
ianp622 said:
It's true.

Then, I suppose, for the sake of consistency, it would be better if I act as a Paragon character then. Like I said, it would be very weird if my Shephard acts all rude towards anyone else and bigoted to Aliens and yet when it comes to her he acts all candies and rainbows. Unless, of course, acting all candies and rainbows to her is not strictly required for me to romance her?

I am uncomfortable playing inconsistently like that... uncomfortable enough that I think I will just replay my game all the way to the beginning of ME1. Yeah, I am weird like that.

Ah... well...

Metroidvania

Revelations said:
You gotta finish the game first and foremost. After that I dunno. maybe just talk to her and tell her to meet you upo there.

Gotta link to the youtube vid?

You have to do two things.

First,
Beat the game with your LI still alive

Second,
Call them up while in your quarters using the intercom. It will say "Call _insert here_ up"

IoCaster

Laughing Banana said:
I must be crazy, GAF.

I just purchased this game and uploaded my Renegade character from ME1. A few hours in, I somehow feel that I am uncomfortable with a Renegade-aligned character (though for strange reason I didn't mind doing it on my around 40 hours ME1 play-through), and so I have decided to redo the entire ME1 just so I can play as a Paragon character from the very first part of Mass Effect universe.

You can play it as a paragon if you want. I imported a full renegade ME1 Shep and went paragon with him, no problem. Your alignment shouldn't really affect loyalty much as long as you've got it high enough. Most of the major decisions will offer both choices.

Metroidvania said:
It's odd, to say the least.

For the "extra" upgrade, i.e. snipers do more headshot damage....those will be grayed out until you buy/find and upgrade the respective weapons damage 10% + mod. Then, after x mods, you will be able to research the "special" upgrades with your resources.

It should always say "requires one more sniper rifle upgrade to research" or something.

So those bonus mods, such as Heavy Pistol has a chance to do 2x damage (which I have) is the result from finding Heavy Damage increase mods? So you never find those "special" mods all on their own?

ianp622

Laughing Banana said:
Then, I suppose, for the sake of consistency, it would be better if I act as a Paragon character then. Like I said, it would be very weird if my Shephard acts all rude towards anyone else and bigoted to Aliens and yet when it comes to her he acts all candies and rainbows. Unless, of course, acting all candies and rainbows to her is not strictly required for me to romance her?

I am uncomfortable playing inconsistently like that... uncomfortable enough that I think I will just replay my game all the way to the beginning of ME1. Yeah, I am weird like that.

Ah... well...

The thing is, as far as I know it's not as important to always be Paragon, but you shouldn't say anything that completely goes against her beliefs or decisions. There are some events where being Paragon would probably get her to like you more
HUGS!
, but I don't know if they're necessary.

I don't think it would be that weird to be bigoted to everyone else. It would be kind of endearing actually, to show that you're able to overcome your racism for her. (Assuming you're taking the role-playing angle).

Anyway, her romance is totally worth it. Not for the final scene, but for the conversations leading up to it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Someone made a save game editor for the PC version:
http://mod.gib.me/masseffect2/saveedit_rev23.zip

What's interesting is that there's a flag to set the character's gender (isFemale = true/false)... what I wonder is how the game might break (or whether you can even break it after the character is created) if you change this to the opposite gender.

'cause I'm sure we'll have thousands of Miranda/FemShep videos if that were the case. :lol

I'm sure this is too late, but if anyone has an unused Terminus code/Worm hole gun code or whatever from the Gamestop preorder bonus, I'd gladly take it off your hands and compensate you for it somehow (I'm thinking money, sorry no blowjobs). I have the PC version if it matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom