• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trickster

puebla said:
guys, this is pissing me off so much. i just finished another mission and ended up getting negative squad points again. i actually don't even have points to spend on talents. does anybody know what i'm doing wrong?

did you get a lvl?

hey not sure if this has been mentioned yet but the dark horse comic mass effect redemption for iphones free all day tomorrow 3/3/10!!

Mass Effect Redemption FREE for iPhones Feb 3 ONLY!

2010.02.02 | Posted by Evil Chris Priestly

The incredibly popular Dark Horse comic Mass Effect Redemption is going to be available to be read on your iPhones starting tomorrow February 3, 2010.

To help launch Mass Effect Redemption on the iPhone, Dark Horse will make it available for FREE for 24 hours starting tomorrow on iTunes.

For more information on Dark Horse mobile, check out their website here: MASS EFFECT REDEMPTION FOR iPHONE.

Vamphuntr

puebla said:
guys, this is pissing me off so much. i just finished another mission and ended up getting negative squad points again. i actually don't even have points to spend on talents. does anybody know what i'm doing wrong?

How do you get NEGATIVE squad points? You lost some? I don't think it's possible. To get squad points you must lvl up. You can check exp required in the squad menu in the Mission Computer. Most mission gives 1000 xp.

Dresden

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/103/index/895465

Weapon stats. They're eerily similar to Modern Warfare's gunstats, though. The Vindicator is almost identical to the FAMAS/M16.

It also looks like the Handcannon is, as I thought, the best pistol, and my decision to just lug around the default grenade launcher was the correct one. I did it because it looked nice on my back, but oh well. :lol

Also, the stats for the Geth Pulse Rifle is absolutely trash. Good god, no idea why I had Garrus use it.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Solo said:
People lacking money: are you not hacking each and every terminal/data pad/wall safe you come across?

I know I am and it seems weird to do so.

especially when in Omega and the guy was dead on his bed and I went and stole his money, lol

Danielsan

Got the game today. Picked a Sentinal, kinda regretting it but damn this game ia fantastic.
I've been playing ME1 for the past couple of days and this is like an entirely new franchise. Everything is significantly improved. Loving it!

dskillzhtown said:

especially when in Omega and the guy was dead on his bed and I went and stole his money, lol
Same area, even more awkward, in my opinion:
How about in the Omega slums when you meet the couple cowering in fear in their apartment? Or the fact that depending on what dialogue choice you chose, you basically said to the guy at the door to get in to the area "Do I look like a looter?"

I feel REALLY fucking stupid. I've had "Advanced training" for a long time now, and always overlooked it because for some dumb reason I thought that was that stupid training video that is in the personal terminal. But apparently it lets me learn a new skill :lol

I've seen it there for so long. FUCK. Oh well at least I didn't go the WHOLE game without noticing.

Anyone have recommendations for the best bonus power for a Vanguard? I'm thinking Warp Ammo or Reave?

Dresden

K.Jack said:
Damn Combat Drone owns. Engineer deserves more love.

Hell yes.

I prefer the Explosive Drone, though.

I also think the engineer is easier to play through Insanity than the Infiltrator or the Sentinel, just because of the drone. While lesser enemies often ignore it, the big hitters--YMIR mechs, Geth destroyers, etc, etc--will ALWAYS target it first. I've gotten cornered with my shields down, only to pop my drone and run as they do a 180 turn to blast away the drone. Scions will stop bombarding you to take the drone out (and the drone's shock pulse will stagger it). So useful.

Anyone have recommendations for the best bonus power for a Vanguard? I'm thinking Warp Ammo or Reave?

Order of importance, in my opinion:

Reave

Fortification

Armor Piercing Ammo (warp ammo isn't as good, surprisingly.)

puebla

Trickster said:
did you get a lvl?
yes

Vamphuntr said:
How do you get NEGATIVE squad points? You lost some? I don't think it's possible. To get squad points you must lvl up. You can check exp required in the squad menu in the Mission Computer. Most mission gives 1000 xp.
it is possible because i am losing them. i had 2 squad points and i finished a mission, i noticed i had "-1 squad points" after completion and said wtf. i finished another loyalty mission today and had the same thing happen. i now have 0 squad points without even using the 2 that i had and it's pissing me off.

OMG Aero

dskillzhtown said:

It's not like he has anything to spend it on any more.

Lucc

Spaceman Spiff said:
Same here.

Level 4 Heavy Charge plus a few quick shots from the assault shotgun can usually take care of most enemies on Veteran. I honestly don't get much enjoyment from playing games like this on the highest difficulties, so the apparent uselessness of Vanguards on Insanity doesn't bother me. I might switch classes for that achievement, but we'll see.

Also, what's the consensus on the best bonus talent for Vanguards? I'm torn between Reave, which might be good for softening up enemies with barriers, and Fortification, for close-quarters combat.

I played through insane as a Vanguard and loved it. You'll eventually learn to use Charge as a crowd control, last second savior and to finish a dangrous enemy off quickly. (I 1 shot the last mission). The beginning is tough though. But once you get the first upgrades for your weapons it becomes much easyer. It stays challenging though.

Reave is a very strong move. Not only does it damage, it also stuns the ememys for a while and gives you back health in the process. On top it can strip down barriers and armor, what the Vanguard lacks in his basic skill setup. You don't need an extra barrier since Charge basicly does the same thing including stunning the enemy for a bit. Ofc you have to make sure to be able to go in cover right away or have your teammates controll the enemys that you have enough time to return to cover.

Dresden

Lucc said:
i played through insane as a vanguard and loved it. you'll eventually learn to use charge as a crowd control, last second savior and to finish a dangrous enemy off quickly. (i 1 shot the last mission). the beginning is tough though. but once you get the first upgrades for your weapons it becomes much easyer. it stays challenging though.

reave is a very strong move. not only does it damage, it also stuns the ememys for a while and gives you back health in the process on top it can strip down barriers and armor what the vanguard lacks in his basic skill setup. you don't need an extra barrier since charge basicly does the same thing including stunning the enemy for a bit. ofc you have to make sure to be able to go in cover right away or have your teammates controll the enemys that you have enough time to return to cover.

Fortification stacks with Charge's shield bonus, so it works out pretty well.

But Reave is the best one, agreed. The Health bonus also means a bigger shield boost, apparently, as well when you Charge.

Syracuse022 said:
Same area, even more awkward, in my opinion:
How about in the Omega slums when you meet the couple cowering in fear in their apartment? Or the fact that depending on what dialogue choice you chose, you basically said to the guy at the door to get in to the area "Do I look like a looter?"

I thought
chastising the looters after you were looting yourself
was even more awkward... and that was the paragon option!

Amir0x

Banned
This game constantly impresses me with the details it remembers from my Mass Effect 1 playthrough. Might as well be one single game, most epic RPG all gen. Truly an expression of what power can give you. So cinematic, so amazing to watch and play.

Next-gen *rock*

Spasm said:
That's kinda how I feel about powers in ME2. There's almost no need to use anything but your favorite power, since they all share the cooldown time.

This is how I've been feeling about it too! In ME1 I actually really enjoyed doing the power cycle. :lol I was really psyched to learn Barrier and then brutally disappointed to discover that using it pretty much prevents me from using any other powers for the whole fight.

Too bad there couldn't be separate cooldowns for tech and biotics. I guess it would make Sentinels even more powerful than they are already though.

Zeliard

Spasm said:
That's kinda how I feel about powers in ME2. There's almost no need to use anything but your favorite power, since they all share the cooldown time.

True to some extent, but the powers also recharge very quickly (and even more as you upgrade your core character ability - the one that upgrades health, damage, cooldown, etc). My Vanguard's Assault Mastery stat is at level 4, and I chose the Champion option, and his powers recharge within like two seconds.

I didn't find myself switching that much between powers earlier in the game, but later on I was switching between them constantly and comboing them together. Vanguard in particular benefits hugely from the ability points you get from leveling up, as well as the bonus weapon class. He turns from one of if not the weakest class, to a very strong one.

Lucc said:
I played through insane as a Vanguard and loved it. You'll eventually learn to use Charge as a crowd control, last second savior and to finish a dangrous enemy off quickly. (I 1 shot the last mission). The beginning is tough though. But once you get the first upgrades for your weapons it becomes much easyer. It stays challenging though.

Reave is a very strong move. Not only does it damage, it also stuns the ememys for a while and gives you back health in the process. On top it can strip down barriers and armor, what the Vanguard lacks in his basic skill setup. You don't need an extra barrier since Charge basicly does the same thing including stunning the enemy for a bit. Ofc you have to make sure to be able to go in cover right away or have your teammates controll the enemys that you have enough time to return to cover.

I'm currently playing Vanguard on hardcore (my first playthrough) and while I was quick to dismiss charge as useless early on, after upgrading it to heavy and picking up "Champion" and learning how to utilize charge, I am absolutely loving the playstyle. I imagine Insane will be very difficult, but I don't see Vanguards as being as useless as everyone keeps claiming. I just think that they require to most skill and care to play effectively.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Dresden said:
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/103/index/895465

Weapon stats. They're eerily similar to Modern Warfare's gunstats, though. The Vindicator is almost identical to the FAMAS/M16.

It also looks like the Handcannon is, as I thought, the best pistol, and my decision to just lug around the default grenade launcher was the correct one. I did it because it looked nice on my back, but oh well. :lol

Also, the stats for the Geth Pulse Rifle is absolutely trash. Good god, no idea why I had Garrus use it.

Doesn't have the DLC weapons but regardless very useful, thanks.

wooo

god damn just completed it on insanity :)

Final boss would have been a push over if it was just a fight against him and no collectors show up. Didn't finish ME1 on Insanity but Saren seems like he would have been a much tougher fight on insanity.

Is it possible to save kelly, gaby and donnely? they got killed on my playthrough but every one else lived. Seems kinda hard to save cause The IFF installed on the normandy right when I started legions loyalty mission and I've read that the only way to save them is to go immediately to the omega 4 relay as soon as the crew gets abducted

Just need to do some side mission and get achievements before I NG+

Danielsan

Amir0x said:
This game constantly impresses me with the details it remembers from my Mass Effect 1 playthrough. Might as well be one single game, most epic RPG all gen. Truly an expression of what power can give you. So cinematic, so amazing to watch and play.

Next-gen *rock*
If only the first Mass Effect was this good.
I loved the first one but a lot of the dialogue sort of bored me. There was never a real sense of urgency and aside from your crew almost none of the characters were interesting.

In Mass Effect 2 I'm actually enjoying all the dialogue and characters.
Not to mention that Mass Effect 2 looks absolutely gorgeous and detailed. Mass Effect 1 felt empty and though it looked fine, it was extremely hampered by a terrible framerate and pop-in textures.

The only thing I'm liking like less is actually the combat. I feel that ME1's fights were more tactical due to the smaller scale nature of the fights. I also don't think the weapon feedback feels right in ME2. Ooh two things actually, I liked the more complex skill upgrade system from ME1 as well.

Zeliard

Eurogamer's review of the DLC:

Eurogamer said:
In fact, there's no combat at all - just a bit of wandering around, placing a memorial, and then collecting 20 dogtags. In a sense, then, it's a dull fetch-quest with a few haunting images. But another way to look at it is this: what better way to salute the memory of the original Mass Effect, than by roaming around a lifeless plateau searching for a large number of meaningless items?

:lol

Lakitu

st5fu
I loved the Normandy Crash Site, the environment design and atmosphere was top notch, it was a nice nod to the original as well and a nice change in pace.

ili0926

Hahaha funny thing happened to me. I was
doing the Thane recruiting mission, and I hadn't cleared the room of enemies yet. I hacked a door and found some salarian workers and started a conversation with them. All of a sudden I hear some shotgun blasts and biotics go off - turns out the asari commando had gotten in the room and attacked me during the conversation. Whenever the camera was on Shepard, you could see her haplessly attacking me. I found it pretty amusing.

Zomba13

hateradio said:
2.jpg

Used FRAPS to capture this video (1080p even) when I fist got the game (like the rest of you) just my Shepard waking up. He has some jacked up teeth :D but it's nice to continue with the same custom character from ME1.
Just skimming through the thread now I've completed ME2 and noticed this. That is an almost exact clone of my Shepard. :eek:

Anyway I can't wait for ME3. I loved this game and he first. I honestly think that Mass Effect is the Star Wars (original trilogy) of video games.

Alucrid

Banned
ExtraKr1spy said:
wooo

god damn just completed it on insanity :)

Final boss would have been a push over if it was just a fight against him and no collectors show up. Didn't finish ME1 on Insanity but Saren seems like he would have been a much tougher fight on insanity.

Is it possible to save kelly, gaby and donnely? they got killed on my playthrough but every one else lived. Seems kinda hard to save cause The IFF installed on the normandy right when I started legions loyalty mission and I've read that the only way to save them is to go immediately to the omega 4 relay as soon as the crew gets abducted

Just need to do some side mission and get achievements before I NG+

Saren was, as was the entire game, laughable on insanity.

edit: I'm not sure about the engineers, I didn't check, but Kelly yeah. Gotta be fast though.

Jinjo

:lol @ the krogans saying I have "quads" after
defeating the thresher maw on Tuchanka.

Also, why is Reave so great? I tried it for my sentinel, but didn't really understand the power. What would be the best advanced power for a sentinel to learn?

Alucrid

Banned
Jinjo said:
:lol @ the krogans saying I have "quads" after
defeating the thresher maw on Tuchanka.

Also, why is Reave so great? I tried it for my sentinel, but didn't really understand the power. What would be the best advanced power for a sentinel to learn?

Wow. I finally got what that means. Talk about me being daft. Group reave is great since it's double damage to armor / barriers, and stops health regen. It does pretty decent damage on everything else too.

ianp622

ExtraKr1spy said:

Yeah, it's possible.
I didn't lose a single person on Hard. After getting the IFF, I immediately did Legion's loyalty mission and then went through the relay when everyone got abducted.

FrankT

Lost plus Mass Effect 2 tonight;
biofeed Watching Lost tonight? Keep your eyes open for the Mass Effect 2 trailer. Just as exciting without the excuse of time travel. ;)

Match made in heaven. Heh, as I said in the other thread now this is money well spent.

K.Sabot

Just got my copy in.

You know your game experience is gonna be great when 'PWND' is one of your 4 letter combinations in the CD key.

ianp622 said:
Yeah, it's possible.
I didn't lose a single person on Hard. After getting the IFF, I immediately did Legion's loyalty mission and then went through the relay when everyone got abducted.

hmmm maybe I did something wrong. I did a few side missions after I got the IFF then as I went to do the loyalty mission
the crew got kidnapped. Did the loyalty immediately after, then went to go rescue them. everyone survived(Squad + most of the crew) except kelly, donnelly and gaby.

Oh well guess I'll save them on NG+)

Xamdou

So anybody here able to save every character in your crew?
At the end Shepard picks one lone person to enter the ducts, basically a suicide mission. Even though I sent a tech expert which the mission requires,no matter who I send they still die?

Minamu

I have a couple of questions. How can I get more money to buy the last few weapon upgrades when I've already beaten the game & done all quests? I'm not even close to having enough cash o_O Can I go to NG+ even though I chose to continue after the credits & then saved after talking to my mates (heh)? Do I get to keep my upgrades for my next playthrough?

SundaySounds said:
I was talking about the holograms like when you see the council.

800px-Council_Hologram-Ambassador_Meeting_2.png

Give me a sec to find a screenshot of them from the new game. I think it looks a lof worse in ME2.
Is it just me, or is the Council Asari one of the hottest Asari?

Xamdou said:
So anybody here able to save every character in your crew?
At the end Shepard picks one lone person to enter the ducts, basically a suicide mission. Even though I sent a tech expert which the mission requires,no matter who I send they still die?

did you send Legion or Tali? Y/N?

If Y-->Did you do their loyalty quest? Y/N
If N- :(

If Y --->Did you open the valves?
If N---> :(

ultron87

ExtraKr1spy said:
did you send Legion or Tali? Y/N?

If Y-->Did you do their loyalty quest? Y/N
If N- :(

If Y --->Did you open the valves?
If N---> :(

Did you send a qualified person to lead the second squad? Because a bad choice there can kill the duct person as well.

Major Williams said:
Huh? No I was saying, whoever it is, is the hottest Asari to date...

And who's to say she isn't a matriarch?

Nah

1. Aria
2.Council Asari
3.Thorian Asari
4. Samara
Morinth
5.Some of the boss merc Asari's

Liara probably wouldn't be in the top 15 :p

Xamdou

ExtraKr1spy said:
Nah

1. Aria
2.Council Asari
3.Thorian Asari
4. Samara
Morinth
5.Some of the boss merc Asari's

Liara probably wouldn't be in the top 15 :p

Aria being voiced by Trinity means she is the #1 Asari indeed! :D

JudgeN

O god the widow sniper rifle, so fucking good.

And o god at the bachlor party and Conrad at the bar
I shot that bitch in the foot :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom