• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder how hard Cain would hit out of a maxed Cloak... Hmmm... Too bad I already killed the
Thresher Maw

WuselDusel said:
I might switch to Infiltrator before I am too far into the game. Is the special ability any good?

It's decent. Can either save your skin or provide a nice damage boost. Not sure if it's one of the better ones, though. Adrenaline Rush, Singularity, and Tech Armor seem pretty sweet. Charge is a handicap. Drone is pretty unimpressive.

Aske

Coxswain said:
When did you do that mission?
My Paragon was about up to here (including the 10% bonus from the Death Mask helmet), and It wouldn't let me select the Paragon option.
I wonder if that stuff scales to your level.

That's weird. My Shepard is about 50% Paragon right now, and I did that mission close to the start of my game with a much lower score - no problems. In fact I've never yet been unable to select a Paragon option in the game. I wonder if it's because my imported character had a full Paragon bar or something. The fact that you had a greyed out option for that mission with that morality score is extremely strange.

Quick question for those who've beaten the game. I just swapped discs for the first time. Can I uninstall disc 1 on my hard drive, then install disc 2 and use it as normal without a lot of swapping back and forth? I read that the game only asks you to swap twice, but I was expecting an obvious end of Act 1 plot point - end of a big mission or something. Instead, the message came up when
I started the mission to recruit Tali
, and since I did that as soon as I had the chance with a lot of plot threads still hanging, it felt a bit random.

Naeblish

WuselDusel said:
I might switch to Infiltrator before I am too far into the game. Is the special ability any good?
I don't use it much, although i should. Infiltrator is all about the sniper, where i used the sniper in ME1 about 50% of the time, here i use it 90%. Can't wait to get the headshot boost damage.

Psychotext said:
You swap discs quite early, and wont need to swap back until pretty near to the end.

I'm surprised they make you swap back just for that, though. Disc two definitely holds a lot of data already, but they probably could have moved the disc swap one non returnable event later and kept it slightly neater.

Hey guys, some questions. First of all I noticed the main menu Cerberus network terminal having some new pieces of news, one of which talking about a comet that might hit some planet. Is this some new DLC or something? Is this something that I am supposed to find in-game? I only ask because I am currently preparing for my
suicide mission
. I have 100% explored every system, done all of my loyalty missions and as far as I know, have done everything in the game that is do-able prior to the next story mission. I click on "new content" and it just brings up the Bioware social page showing the list of content I already downloaded.

Another question, there are currently like...4 more upgrades I need to buy in Illiam and possibly Omega. I only have 100k credits and at least 3 of these upgrades cost 75k. How am I supposed to get more money to afford these upgrades at this point in the game?

Edit: I also recall that the Bring down the Sky from ME1 was supposed to effect ME2 somehow...I have not found anything regarding that yet and was wondering if maybe I missed something. I guess I was expecting to be able to get a second chance to hunt down that Batarrian terrorist who I let go to save the hostages from the first game.

Arjen

Naeblish said:
I don't use it much, although i should. Infiltrator is all about the sniper, where i used the sniper in ME1 about 50% of the time, here i use it 90%. Can't wait to get the headshot boost damage.

Yeah i use the Sniper almost exlusive, only one more damage upgrade to go.
O love it when the slomo effect kicks in it also effects the voices :D

MisterAnderson said:
Hey guys, some questions. First of all I noticed the main menu Cerberus network terminal having some new pieces of news, one of which talking about a comet that might hit some planet. Is this some new DLC or something? Is this something that I am supposed to find in-game? I only ask because I am currently preparing for my
suicide mission
. I have 100% explored every system, done all of my loyalty missions and as far as I know, have done everything in the game that is do-able prior to the next story mission. I click on "new content" and it just brings up the Bioware social page showing the list of content I already downloaded.

Another question, there are currently like...4 more upgrades I need to buy in Illiam and possibly Omega. I only have 100k credits and at least 3 of these upgrades cost 75k. How am I supposed to get more money to afford these upgrades at this point in the game?

Bet on varren fights? There isn't enough money in the game for everything on your first time through even if you get all the discounts, so of which are missable. Subsequent characters get a 300,000 credit bonus.

Aske

Psychotext said:
You swap discs quite early, and wont need to swap back until pretty near to the end.

Sweet. Thanks for confirming!

MegaKungFuRadio said:
It's decent. Can either save your skin or provide a nice damage boost. Not sure if it's one of the better ones, though. Adrenaline Rush, Singularity, and Tech Armor seem pretty sweet. Charge is a handicap. Drone is pretty unimpressive.

A handicap? Charge is awesome. I love phasing straight through rockets as they're flying right at my face. It's also great for effortlessly covering ground on the battlefield - invaluable when I was
defending the weapon controls from Collectors
for example. It's only a handicap if you try to bullrush a heavy enemy's shield/armour bar before whittling them down; but that's not it's intended purpose. I know the game will play very differently without it on my next run. No idea what class I'll use for my Renegade.

Aske said:
Sweet. Thanks for confirming!

A handicap? Charge is awesome. I love phasing straight through rockets as they're flying right at my face. It's also great for effortlessly covering ground on the battlefield - invaluable when I was
for example. It's only a handicap if you try to bullrush a heavy enemy's shield/armour bar before whittling them down; but that's not it's intended purpose. I know the game will play very differently without it on my next run. No idea what class I'll use for my Renegade.

Charge is not good. It can be fun, but it's not good.

derFeef

Aske said:

On which difficulty are you playing? I am really finding it not good - it is more of a pain than useful. It looks cool, but thats it.

Naeblish

MegaKungFuRadio said:
Bet on varren fights? There isn't enough money in the game for everything on your first time through even if you get all the discounts, so of which are missable. Subsequent characters get a 300,000 credit bonus.
Discounts, that reminds me.

"This is commander Shepard, and this is my favorite store in the Citadel."
:lol

Naeblish said:
Discounts, that reminds me.

:lol

Is there some way to get discounts at every Kiosk? Because aside from the Citadel and a few other shops around the galaxy like Tsushanka (sp?) there are a few kiosks that don't offer discounts unless I've mistaken. (the ones that I still need to buy things at).

Also, yeah. I was expecting some kind of backlash from my apparent "Paragon" behavior at the Citadel shops.

MisterAnderson said:
Is there some way to get discounts at every Kiosk? Because aside from the Citadel and a few other shops around the galaxy like Tsushanka (sp?) there are a few kiosks that don't offer discounts unless I've mistaken. (the ones that I still need to buy things at).

Also, yeah. I was expecting some kind of backlash from my apparent "Paragon" behavior at the Citadel shops.

There's a way to get a discount at every kiosk, but not all of them are obvious, mostly tied to quests. Well, maybe not the Cafe, but you don't really spend much there anyway.

Aske

MegaKungFuRadio said:
Charge is not good. It can be fun, but it's not good.

I freely admit I've not used any other class powers, so if you've played around with the rest, perhaps Charge feels weak by comparison. However, I cannot understand how anyone could dispute its usefulness on its own terms. It can be a get-out-of-jail-free card if you're surrounded and low on health. Once you figure it out and start to plan sensible charge points during a battle, it practically becomes a teleport. Perhaps we just have vastly different play styles.

Edit:

WuselDusel said:
On which difficulty are you playing? I am really finding it not good - it is more of a pain than useful. It looks cool, but thats it.

Veteran.

MegaKungFuRadio said:
There's a way to get a discount at every kiosk, but not all of them are obvious, mostly tied to quests. Well, maybe not the Cafe, but you don't really spend much there anyway.

The ones in Illiam involved
busting a kiosk owner for having illegal merchandise
. I'm guessing that if I warned her instead of turning her in I would have gotten a discount? I also screwed over
that one "under cover cop" who lied to Conrad. I'm pretty sure she was running the kiosk that has the shit I need to buy as well and since I screwed her too I probably am unable to get any discounts there?

MisterAnderson said:
The ones in Illiam involved
busting a kiosk owner for having illegal merchandise
. I'm guessing that if I warned her instead of turning her in I would have gotten a discount? I also screwed over
that one "under cover cop" who lied to Conrad. I'm pretty sure she was running the kiosk that has the shit I need to buy as well and since I screwed her too I probably am unable to get any discounts there?

Yes for sure on the first. Probably on the second, I screwed it up on my latest run.

Aske said:
I freely admit I've not used any other class powers, so if you've played around with the rest, perhaps Charge feels weak by comparison. However, I cannot understand how anyone could dispute its usefulness on its own terms. It can be a get-out-of-jail-free card if you're surrounded and low on health. Once you figure it out and start to plan sensible charge points during a battle, it practically becomes a teleport. Perhaps we just have vastly different play styles.

Edit:

Veteran.

It's bad because it's limited. There are times where you flat out cannot use it or you will die. And most of the time, by the time you CAN use it without dying, you don't need it. That's why it's bad. Every other class skill can be used any time it's available and for multiple purposes. Singularity being the exception, but the effect it has on the battlefield especially when used with a high level Warp makes up for that.

Aske said:

Edit:

Veteran.

Yeah, I play on Hardcore and Charge has proven useful time and time again. If it isn't being used in conjunction with my squad members coordinating a precise and swift assault, it's used to advance to strategic points on the battlefield (for example, if up ahead there's an enemy right next to a cover point, I'll warp/overload/incinerate/cryo/etc. him with a squadmate then charge into him, kill him, and claim my new cover point). Or like Aske mentioned, if you find you are overwhelmed or in a bind, use the tactical pause mode to find an enemy that you can charge to, away from your current predicament giving you another chance and angle to approach the situation.

derFeef

Aske said:

Edit:

Veteran.

Hm, also playing on Veteran. I need to look at it again, but how can I charge to random points? If I am low at health I do not want to charge into another enemy. In that case the cloak ability sounds more useful to me.

WuselDusel said:
Hm, also playing on Veteran. I need to look at it again, but how can I charge to random points? If I am low at health I do not want to charge into another enemy. In that case the cloak ability sounds more useful to me.

You can only charge into enemies as far as I know. But charge covers you in a shield when you use it, and if you have Heavy Charge you can basically own at the very least the one enemy you charge to since the shield lasts 3 seconds (I think) even after you've charged into the enemy, usually giving you enough time to take out the enemy and get back into cover.

I didn't fully appreciate charge until I gave Heavy Charge and Champion a try. The cooldown bonus + the slow motion/shield bonus of Heavy Charge is basically a blink/teleport ability on steroids.

Solo said:
The tactician stuff is definitely busted. Someone here said that warp + pull works every time. So I decided I would use that to get the remaining 13 combos I needed. It worked the first time perfectly, then it didnt register the next 15 times or so I did it.

That's strange. It could be that you have Squad auto use powers set to on? And when you trigger them to attack their biotic power is still cooling down?

Are you doing warp and then pull? Or pull and then warp? Because it must be the latter to work.

Solo

The tactician stuff is definitely busted. Someone here said that warp + pull works every time. So I decided I would use that to get the remaining 13 combos I needed. It worked the first time perfectly, then it didnt register the next 15 times or so I did it.

Solo said:
The tactician stuff is definitely busted. Someon here said that warp + pull works all the time. So I decided I would use that to get the remaining 13 combos I needed. It worked the first time perfectly, then it didnt register the next 15 times or so I did it.

Are they dying? Everytime it worked for me it caused a medium "pop" explosion and the target died.

Net_Wrecker said:
Are they dying? Everytime it worked for me it caused a medium "pop" explosion and the target died.

Right, it has to kill them. Just like the Warp/Incinerate/Overload ones have to destroy the protection, not just dent it.

diss

Banned
Just did the
Samara loyalty quest
. Amazing, but freaked me right the fuck out. I should not have made that the last mission before bed.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I hope BioWare hurry up with some side quests to flesh out the various systems throughout the game. I like how they're visually more interesting, and I like controlling the ship, but there amount of planets and systems outweighs the amount of stuff to do by an amazing margine.

Even mining resources requires nowhere near, not even half of, the systems available. If you spend an hour or so mining the hell out of every planet across a few systems you'll have enough to upgrade everything and then some.

Everything feels a bit empty now that I've done everything the game offers (minus replays). Do we know if the Hammerhead or anything is supposed to hit any time soon? Or when the 12th squadmate will hit?

Weenerz

Banned
Just finished replaying ME1, holy god I forgot how good the game was, even with the annoying saving and awful shooting. Time to carry my save over and dive into ME2.

Solo

Net_Wrecker said:

AHHHHHHH this must be it! I need to soften them up a bit first I guess. Thanks!

Are there anymore leg armor besides:

N7 Greaves
Simulator Conduits
Life Support Webbing
Ordnance Packs
?

Life Support Webbing
seems to be the best ones to wear stat wise, but I think they look pretty damn shitty. I think I am going to stick with N7 Greaves.

EatChildren said:
Everything feels a bit empty now that I've done everything the game offers (minus replays). Do we know if the Hammerhead or anything is supposed to hit any time soon? Or when the 12th squadmate will hit?

In your spare time just continue to probe planets for resources so you can be ready if more DLC requires those for new armor pieces or new weapons.

geinou

Neo Member
Ok, about the dialogue at the end of the mission, after you recruited the first bunch of members for your crew:

I went to Horizon with Miranda and Garrus. I play as a female Shepard and met Kaidan. He talked about loving my female Shepard and all that stuff. But he got angry after he heard that I was working with Ceberus. And then he shouted: "And Garrus, too?" That was amazing. I mean, the game recognized that Garrus was in my squad, so Kaidan reacted on this. More games need to do that. Good job, Bioware!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Solo said:

One extremely odd thing involving that is that you need to order the allies to do it(unless you're doing both, I guess). But the game is strict on what counts as ordering an ally to do it, I used pull a lot and had thane push right after so frequently that I dpad mapped it, but it didn't seem to count unless I did his throw out of the power wheel. This was the case with the shield overloads and such too.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Revelations said:
In your spare time just continue to probe planets for resources so you can be ready if more DLC requires those for new armor pieces or new weapons.

I've bought every upgrade and still have ~100,000+ of every resource other than Element Zero, of which is extremely high anyway, and I havent even mined half the planets available.

Zzoram

suzu said:
Finished the game as a female (100%) paragon sentinel. Didn't import any ME1 file.

A tip for some certain people's loyalty:
- Make sure you have 100% paragon or renegade before finishing both
Miranda/Jack and Tali/Legion loyalty missions. You will need it to keep their loyalty.

How do you get 100% paragon/renegade? I've recruited everyone I can except the secret one, I've done 2 loyalty missions, and I've done every side quest and have 100% exploration for all clusters other than the spots required for the remaining loyalty missions. After all that, I think my Renegade bar is around half, possibly even less, and I have about 1 chunk Paragon.

wRATH2x

Banned
Alright need some help
At the end of Jacks loyalty mission she and Miranda had a fight, the conversation wheel blocked out two options. I stood with Miranda since I wanted to bang her, and apparently Jack isn't loyal because of it. When I try to talk to Jack I only have one option "Fine".

Is there anyway to fix this?

Oh and
when do I get to finally bang Miranda? that tease

suzu

Zzoram said:
How do you get 100% paragon/renegade? I've recruited everyone I can except the secret one, I've done 2 loyalty missions, and I've done every side quest and have 100% exploration for all clusters other than the spots required for the remaining loyalty missions. After all that, I think my Renegade bar is around half, possibly even less, and I have about 1 chunk Paragon.
Rank up your class's passive skill for bonus. Don't bother choosing neutral options (go all para or rene). Talk to everybody after every mission or assignment. Equip the helm with the negotiation bonus.

I had full 100% paragon, plus excess renegade.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
firehawk12 said:
Blame the game for taking on Shitty Game Design from the 1990s (tm).
A lot of the game is basically running to the next door or alternatively, triggering the boss fight. It makes insanity that much harder for no good reason.

Oh yeah, for people who care and have iPhones, that first issue of the Mass Effect 2 prequel comic is on the iTunes store for free for today only. It appears that the arc of the series is based on Liara's immediate actions before the game begins... and probably lets them do a ME comic without ever referencing an official Shepard.

Thanks. :D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Zzoram said:

Between your class specific passive skill and the missions, you shouldn't have a problem maxing out one of the bars. You really have to focus on one though, because the way the game works, Paragon options unlock large Paragon bonuses and vice versa with Renegade. It's why the Citadel kiosk discounts are so easy to get, for example, because it's an easy way to get free points either way.

Wrath2X said:
Alright need some help
At the end of Jacks loyalty mission she and Miranda had a fight, the conversation wheel blocked out two options. I stood with Miranda since I wanted to bang her, and apparently Jack isn't loyal because of it. When I try to talk to Jack I only have one option "Fine".

It's related to the above post. You need a high enough Paragon or Renegade level to be able to choose the corresponding option.

suzu

Wrath2X said:
Alright need some help

Oh and
when do I get to finally bang Miranda? that tease
I believe you have to get 100% paragon or renegade, then talk to them to gain it back.

After you head to omega 4 relay.

wRATH2x

Banned
suzu said:
I believe you have to get 100% paragon or renegade, then talk to them to gain it back.

After you head to omega 4 relay.
Does it have to be 100% Paragon or is it OK if my Paragon is full and there's some renegade there?

So basically play some side quests.

LiK said:
did you guys do the Crime in Progress sidequest with Tali in your party? the additional dialogue was a nice touch.

I had already done this quest by the time I got Tali. What does she say? I was expecting her to say something during the
slave
quest on Illium too but she didnt. The inter-party banter is a bit lacking, especially after dragon age

LiK

Sir Hamish said:
I had already done this quest by the time I got Tali. What does she say? I was expecting her to say something during the
slave
quest on Illium too but she didnt. The inter-party banter is a bit lacking, especially after dragon age
Actually, she had a minor exchange with the
Slave
too in my game. I posted in the spoiler thread that I'll record a video of that Crime sidequest to share. It's cool that Bioware added a good amount if dialogue for a rather uneventful quest

LiK said:
Actually, she had a minor exchange with the
Slave
too in my game. I posted in the spoiler thread that I'll record a video of that Crime sidequest to share. It's cool that Bioware added a good amount if dialogue for a rather uneventful quest

that would be great, thanks. can you post it here too, im trying to stay away from the spoiler thread lol.

I really like Tali, i watched her
romance scene
on youtube since Im playing a female shepard and I thought it was quite sweet and tastefully done

rhino4evr

So Im fairly ealry in the game, Ive only recurited two members. The Krogan and The Scientist. Have a few questions.

1. I keep seeing upgrades to purchase in shops, and up until now I couldnt even acess them. Now that I can, what are the most important upgrades for an Adept? SO far all the upgrades have been for armor, soldier weapons, squad members, etc. Nothing for my class. I am hoping that will change. A faster cool down is nice. And let me get this straight. I have to find/purcahse the upgrade, then find materials to actually equip them? I noticed a rocket launcher is available..but not available..it says I need to find another upgrade...

2. What is the difference between pull and push? What is more useful to upgrade first? What are the most important Adept powers to increase. At this point I think I have Level 2 WArp, Level 2 SIngularity, Level 1 Pull, and Level 3 towards Biotic Mastery.

3. I see I can upgrade the medical bay in my ship...it says it removes scars? what's the point?

4. How do I know which weapon to choose? Does it defualt to the strongest weapon? There is no damage stat when I go to choose.

Other thoughts/complaints...Im playing on Normal...and so far Im finding the game rather easy. What changes on the next difficulty level? Do the enemies get smarter or do they send more "waves", or do they just have more energy? Does the game get any harder?

the game has been enter oribt, talk to someone, fight a bunch of battles, talk to someone, fight a boss, talk to someone..done. I hope there is a little more variety in future missions.

The lack of a proper Citadel Area makes the universe seem like a series of small towns..instead of giant cities. Anyone else agree? I'm not sure if its because I imported a character, but all the Paragon/Renegade options seem to appear to me. In the original game, you had to have a certain stat in order to convince people to do things...in this game I haven't had a problem convincing anyone. Is it really THAT easy to get discounts at stores?

Game defintiely seems dumbed down at the moment..which I know will cause a few angry posts, I hope I feel otherwise once Im in the meat of the game. Im still on Disc 1.

Please no spoilers in your answers. Thanks.

EDIT...I figured that the difficulty would easier for these first few missions, because you can access them in any order. I am assuming that once these first missions are done I will get to harder missions, due to "the game" knowing that I must be at a certain level by now. or do the enemies level up with you like in Oblivion?

LiK

Sir Hamish said:
that would be great, thanks. can you post it here too, im trying to stay away from the spoiler thread lol.

I really like Tali, i watched her
romance scene
on youtube since Im playing a female shepard and I thought it was quite sweet and tastefully done
Yea, sure. I'll post it here too when it's up. I'm playing a FemShep too

EatChildren

rhino4evr said:
3. I see I can upgrade the medical bay in my ship...it says it removes scars? what's the point?

The more of a Renegade you are the more scarred and cyborg-esque your face becomes. This allows you to remove all those scars if you dont like the look. They disappear naturally if you play Paragon. Its not an essential upgrade.

4. How do I know which weapon to choose? Does it defualt to the strongest weapon? There is no damage stat when I go to choose.

There are very, very few weapons in the game so just stuck with the latest upgrade, unless a weapon mentions a specific feature or bonus that suits you. Heavy Weapons all function differently so in that case its whatever you like best.

Other thoughts/complaints...Im playing on Normal...and so far Im finding the game rather easy. What changes on the next difficulty level? Do the enemies get smarter or do they send more "waves", or do they just have more energy? Does the game get any harder?

Dont play on Normal. Just dont. Play on Veteran or Hardcore. Normal is far too easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom