• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Shift said:
I'm up to the Omega 4 jump and have done next to no planet scanning. I think I'm in for a world of pain...it's kinda pissing me off. Are there stacking ship upgrades that make this task quicker?
There's a scanner upgrade and a probe upgrade. After you get those, just put on some tunes and grab a beer and dedicate an hour to scanning planets and you'll be fine.

Cetra

epmode said:
People bitch about vanguards but I like mine just fine. I play it like a hit-and-run class, usually going after people on the edge of the battlefield.

The charge has a six second cooldown and you get ~100% of your shields every time. Abuse it!

I also picked up the assault rifle proficiency for some mid-range attack power. Screw the unique shotgun. The single round in the chamber ruins it. I much prefer the regular upgrade you find in Samara's mission.

I love it as well, just seems in a few parts of the game it's overly difficult for them.
I picked up the AR Training as well, Claymore is just terrible.

Thanks for the encouragement! :D

Doytch

The Lamonster said:
There's a scanner upgrade and a probe upgrade. After you get those, just put on some tunes and grab a beer and dedicate an hour to scanning planets and you'll be fine.
About halfway through I started only scanning planets that were Rich as opposed to Good or Rich (never bothered with anything less). Still had more than enough resources for every upgrade.
The loading screen told me to talk to EDI. To get new missions/updates. Do I have too? EDI sucks.
Nah, I think it says that you should listen to her when she talks to you when you're on-planet.

But EDI has some good stuff to say after the game is over and you continue. Highly recommend talking to her afterwards.

bryehn

thanks for the help guys, was annoying to have such an early one on my list. Just got to the point where
you can choose to keep building your team or just go for the Collector home world.

Solo

Just bought the 4 star charts on Ilium. Do they open up any new anomoly missions, or just more planets to scan?

The Shift

Banned
The Lamonster said:

Cheers for that - I have the two upgrades you mentioned but damn it's a real pain. Well, looks like I have most of the galaxy to scan down so I will probably need a case of beer going at this rate.

rhino4evr

The Shift said:
Cheers for that - I have the two upgrades you mentioned but damn it's a real pain. Well, looks like I have most of the galaxy to scan down so I will probably need a case of beer going at this rate.

decided im not even going to bother scanning until I get the upgrades...Im still way early though.

Kind of looking forward to the Mass Effect 3 just so I can play all three games in a row.
brandonh83 said:
Once I hit Omega 4, that's it, right? It's just suicide mission and the ending?
After you go through the relay yeah. But once you finish the suicide mission you can keep exploring and doing everything else just like before.

Sai

Got a question about the upgrades you purchase at the shops: Do you find most of these upgrades during recruitment missions and loyalty quests? Are there any upgrades that you can only obtain through the stores?

RTS83 said:
Am I the only one playing on insanity for my first play through? 28 hours and I'm level 14 lol...
I did. It was rough, but I got through it. Got all but two Achievements in one run.

Ah okay, cool. How long are the events after you hit the relay? Is it a pretty long endgame with a bunch of storyline revelations and stuff?

Lime

Someone need to rip the fuck out of the music files in ME2. The official soundtrack are missing a lot of the ambient music, ie. the ominous loading screen music, and the club songs should definitely be available (I know, they are from other EA Games, but it would still be nice to listen to them).

brandonh83 said:
Ah okay, cool. How long are the events after you hit the relay? Is it a pretty long endgame with a bunch of storyline revelations and stuff?
I wish. Probably about an hour or less depending on the difficulty. Its an ok ending but nothing major.

Sai

Lime said:
ie. the ominous loading screen music
Isn't that in The Collector Base?

and the club songs should definitely be available (I know, they are from other EA Games, but it would still be nice to listen to them).
Which ones? I was wondering why they weren't on the soundtrack.

The Shift

Banned
rhino4evr said:
decided im not even going to bother scanning until I get the upgrades...Im still way early though.

Yeah I screwed up by doing all the missions/extras so I have nothing but scanning multiple 0% systems before the Omega 4 jump. Have bought/unlocked pretty much all the upgrades in the shops too so I guess I will concentrate on getting all that sorted out. Great game though - mini games/space flight feel unnecessary to a degree.

Sai said:
Got a question about the upgrades you purchase at the shops: Do you find most of these upgrades during recruitment missions and loyalty quests? Are there any upgrades that you can only obtain through the stores?
I want to know about upgrades found on missions. What if I miss something? Will it ever be available again?

Majmun

I've finished the game and did all the sidequests. But my character still is lvl 26. I don't think I've missed anything. Getting to lvl 30 is impossible now.

-edit

dlc will probably get me to lvl 30

Prine

Banned
How do side quests work here? Are they assigned through email or do i have to randomly explore worlds (docking and walking) and hope to find quests?

I've gained 3 members to my cause though it feels like i've just started the game. I only have one left and i suppose im jumping into the red relay. Is this game longer than ME1?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Second said:
I've finished the game and did all the sidequests. But my character still is lvl 26. I don't think I've missed anything. Getting to lvl 30 is impossible now.

-edit

You might have to play through the game again importing the ME2 character. If you imported the ME1 character then you could reach level 30 in one playthrough.

Sai

Prine said:
How do side quests work here? Are they assigned through email or do i have to randomly explore worlds (docking and walking) and hope to find quests?
Select a planet, if EDI says "anamoly detected", you scan the planet for the location of the side quest.

I've gained 3 members to my cause though it feels like i've just started the game. I only have one left and i suppose im jumping into the red relay. Is this game longer than ME1?
It can be much, much shorter, or a bit longer depending on how much time you're willing to invest in building up your team.

And there's more than one left...

Prine

Banned
Sai said:
Select a planet, if EDI says "anamoly detected", you scan the planet for the location of the side quest.

It can be much, much shorter, or a bit longer depending on how much time you're willing to invest in building up your team.

And there's more than one left...

Oh good, that "i'll get you next time gadget" guy mapped 4 characters to recruit. Good news!

I don't mind scanning all that much but I just wished that it would move faster and the targeting reticule was larger. Fewer but larger deposits would be good too.

LiK

Jamesfrom818 said:
I don't mind scanning all that much but I just wished that it would move faster and the targeting reticule was larger. Fewer but larger deposits would be good too.
Got scan upgrade?

Lime

Sai said:
Isn't that in The Collector Base?

Which ones? I was wondering why they weren't on the soundtrack.

No, it's that dark and brooding ambient synth music whenever the loading screen pops up. The Collector Base is a general "song" that is played during the game. Like some Raison d'Etre or Gustaf Hildebrand.

Regarding the Club songs, Afterlife's music is taken from Need For Speed: High Stakes, called "Calista" by Saki Kaska.

NFS song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z0RwEHlpGM
compared with Afterlife song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjEDAjIQk-8

Sai

Second said:

-edit

Did you import a character?

I avoided almost all of the assignments unrelated to the hub worlds until after I beat the game, and I was still able to hit 29.

DLC gives you the Normandy Crash Site, and Zaeed's loyalty mission, which is worth like... One level's worth of XP, I think.

brandonh83 said:

Yeah, there's not much left. Hour, hour and a half tops. That's one thing that disappointed me the most. I expected a much more substantial suicide mission part. I actually breezed through the last part on insanity with my adept.
Zaeed and Mordin tear the shit out of the collectors with their max fire attacks.

Doytch

Jamesfrom818 said:
Did you get the upgrade? I think it's from Miranda.

Macmanus

Zeliard said:
I feel like I'm the only one who actually likes the way the scars look on his character. :p

I love 'em. I want a badass Shep, and you can't get much more badass than looking like a Terminator.

Their was one scene where that look was just absolutely crazy. Jack's loyalty mission
where she is debating on whether to kill one of her past prison mates. She asks you if she should pull the trigger and Shepard just looks at her with those glowing red eyes and says "You're a killer, Jack. That's what you you." BAM. Point blank execution style head shot. Pretty intense stuff.

Just decided to stop by GameStop for the hell of it since I was out running an errand and try asking to see if they had any spare Terminus codes. The clerk did and gave me one :D my DLC collection is now complete!

Also, I just found out that Tricia Helfer is the voice of EDI. Now whenever she speaks I get turned on.

Anyone else max out that Krogans battle stats as soon as you got him? lol I just went through the mission to get
Jack
with him maxed and I honestly wasn't that impressed, I miss Wrex!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Zeliard said:
Star... charts?

Well fuck.

You can buy them in Illium near the bar

I wish there was a list of all the amor pieces in the game, i want to know if i have them all.

Zeliard said:
I thought I'd scoured Illium. Wtf. Are they just at one of the shops?

Fortunately I'm still in the midst of my first playthrough. :lol

All the charts are at one shop.

The Lamonster said:
anyone? Missing out on an upgrade would really suck.

I'm pretty sure they put more than 5 of each upgrade scattered throughout the galaxy. Whenever you scan a research terminal and you get a ton of cash for it, that would have been a tech upgrade had you not already had it (I am pretty sure). Also, you oftentimes find or are rewarded with upgrades for completing optional side anomaly missions so just explore with the Normandy whenever you get a chance.

Solo

Im disappointed in you, Zeliard. Locke woulda scoured the galaxy for those charts!

neojubei said:
Opens up more areas on the galaxy map to explore.

I know, but Im asking if these areas just have planets to scan, or if they have any planets with sidequests on them.

Patryn

MisterAnderson said:
I'm pretty sure they put more than 5 of each upgrade scattered throughout the galaxy. Whenever you scan a research terminal and you get a ton of cash for it, that would have been a tech upgrade had you not already had it (I am pretty sure). Also, you oftentimes find or are rewarded with upgrades for completing optional side anomaly missions so just explore with the Normandy whenever you get a chance.

I know there are for at least a few, because I got a few upgrades that suddenly became 6/6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom