• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
Nitpick time though.

After Reaper IFF level:
Did anyone else think it was a little weird how they decided to implement the Geth? They never saw a Geth spoke, but this one did - I don't remember that being explained? Also, I totally tagged the Geth along to Illium and Citadel and fuckin' Omega, and no one gave a shit!

Probably should have implemented a "STAY THE FUCK ON THE SHIP" policy.

Also it seemed odd how they relegated the decision to
REPROGRAM all the heretic Geth to Legion's side mission. It's like, that seems like a pretty big fucking thing!

Amir0x said:

It's not like NPCs have a neat little hud that displays target names to tell them what's what. I thought it was silly at first, then realized there were probably only a handful of people alive who could recognize the brand.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Amir0x said:
Nitpick time though.

After Reaper IFF level:
Did anyone else think it was a little weird how they decided to implement the Geth? They never saw a Geth spoke, but this one did - I don't remember that being explained? Also, I totally tagged the Geth along to Illium and Citadel and fuckin' Omega, and no one gave a shit!

Legion is a gold mine of interesting Geth information, from how they're managing the Quarian homeworld, their goals, how they operate, why some Geth followed Saren and Soveriegn, and why Legion is unique in operation.

They made the mistake of having him aquired right before the final run, so you miss out on doing quests to unlock more of his dialogue, unless you do some missions after the suicide run.

Peff

Amir0x said:
Nitpick time though.

After Reaper IFF level:

One of the dialogue choices with him explained that Legion is a mass of many more geth programs than your average geth (a thousandsomething vs a hundred I think), which allows him to interact with other beings in order to fulfill his goal and find Shepard.
. Also, yeah
I saw his little cutscenes as an "easter egg" but since his time in the team is so short, the designers probably decided to let him enter anyways. In the Flotilla he can't though, unless you use a Paragon/Renegade choice

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Amir0x said:
I beat this game and am going through Mass Effect 2 withdrawl already

oh god how did you guys who beat Mass Effect 1 on day one DEAL WITH THE WAIT

It wasn't easy :(.

It was so crazy uploading my character from ME1. The last time I played it was 2007, named her Renee, and when she finally loaded up all I could think was, "Holy shit, Fembauer from 24!"

reneeshephard.jpg
Renee_Walker_S7.jpg

I want to do a second run as the Diesel though and sex all the ladies...

274_Vin_200.jpg

:lol

Amir0x

Banned
Jamesfrom818 said:
The one thing about the genophage that is absolutely heartbreaking is that they still conceive but 999 out of 1000 is stillborn.

The two moments of the game that got me to really think about scenarios.

1. Realizing what you said... this shit really traumatizes the Krogan. It's not just something these warriors have no feeling toward. I hear many of them wishing to have kids. One of them is practically in a state of depression over the idea he'll never have a son!

2. The moment where Tali
is talking about how she NEEDS to take her homeworld back, and how Shephard doesn't understand because she and others take for granted the normal every day interactions of kissing or smelling a flower or holding hands.
I was like "shit, go to war. I LEND YOU THE NORMANDY!"

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The Quarians fucking started it.

Geth sympathiser since the first game, and proud.

Coxswain said:
I'm with Mordin. Original Krogan uplift was the mistake. Once that Pandora's Box got opened, genophage was making the best of a bad situation. Still kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth, and the social effect it had on them is pretty devastating, but all it takes is a guy like Wrex and some time to change the society, and that leaves a lot fewer dead and scarred than a traditional war with the Krogan would have.

I think the turning point for me between the genophage seeming like a horrible war crime and a painful necessity was learning that it specifically enforces a 1:1000 birth rate, rather than leaving them completely sterilized and crippled.
Fuck Mordin, wrong is wrong. As if turning the continued existence of their species into a goddamn precious resource is any way to lead them to cultural enlightenment. All the reduced birthrate did was turn 99% of the Krogan into utter maniacs while painting a target on the lucky ones. Would have been better to murder most of them and let the survivors band together. Then fuck with their genetics if you have to.

The Quarians made a mistake, but they've paid their price. After three hundred years of living in broken down ships with the rest of the galaxy hating them, I think they deserve some peace.

Well, once they kill that female admiral, anyway.

Amir0x said:
1. Realizing what you said... this shit really traumatizes the Krogan. It's not just something these warriors have no feeling toward. I hear many of them wishing to have kids. One of them is practically in a state of depression over the idea he'll never have a son!

There's even a Krogan on Tuchanka who is so happy that he got to meet his son for the very first time, how he taught him to play "tackle the varren", and that he felt bad about never even getting the kid's name.

It made me warm on the inside.

I can't agree with you on
the Quarian/Geth war though, especially after Legion.

Amir0x said:
The two moments of the game that got me to really think about scenarios.

2. The moment where Tali
is talking about how she NEEDS to take her homeworld back, and how Shephard doesn't understand because she and others take for granted the normal every day interactions of kissing or smelling a flower or holding hands.
I was like "shit, go to war. I LEND YOU THE NORMANDY!"

Of course, those knee-jerk emotions can get shot down when you hear the other side.

When you hear Legion talking about how 95% of geth just want to build a space station for them to all be uploaded to, and how they don't even occupy the quarian worlds except a handful of units to clean up the damage from the last war (Legion can't explain why they do it, but likens it to a cemetery; something to commemorate the quarians and their loss) it totally makes you think, 'Wait... if I encouraged the quarians to attack the planets again... then the geth will just suddenly come back online, wipe out the aging migrant fleet in orbit in an act of self-defense, and all for nothing.'

And no, the geth AREN'T robots.

EatChildren

Amir0x said:
Legion is a goddamn bitch. OH HE IS MANY.

He's a fucking A.I. collective and they can go to hell

STOP WATCHING TALI'S HIPS

YOU ARE UNDER HER SPELL

DONT YOU SEE?

Amir0x

Banned
At least I am not a robot. Joker totally had it right, doing the robot dance.

BEEP BOOP BOP

Right before I blow their goddamn heads off. You are robot, i am master, bow before me as I deprogram you all

There's a reason the entire GALAXY is against A.I.

ALSO, did you all forget the progression of this horrible technology is EVENTUALLY something as nutso as The Reapers? I mean, Reapers are obviously infinitely more advanced and who knows what led them down their path yet, but there has to be limits!

Fimbulvetr said:
There's even a Krogan on Tuchanka who is so happy that he got to meet his son for the very first time, how he taught him to play "tackle the varren", and that he felt bad about never even getting the kid's name.
He doesn't even know if it's his, he just thinks he might have his eyes. The way his friend encourages him makes it feel so depressing.

amirox said:
Spoilarz!
Not that the achievements don't give the final member away completely, but I would be annoyed.

Amir0x said:

BEEP BOOP BOP

Right before I blow their goddamn heads off. You are robot, i am master, bow before me as I deprogram you all

ALSO, did you all forget the progression of this horrible technology is EVENTUALLY something as nutso as The Reapers? I mean, Reapers are obviously infinitely more advanced and who knows what led them down their path yet, but there has to be limits!

"You misunderstand, I am the master."

They're against AI because they're scared of creating a new race. Just like it's considered illegal and heinous to create a new organic sapient race through genetic engineering.

And how is
a big Dyson sphere with a bunch of computers talking to each other
as terrible as a race of intergalactic genocide machines?

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Is it me, or does
legion
make Tali somewhat obsolete? Both have the same 2 base powers, their unlockable powers both help with shield restoration and
legion's
can be used in more situations. He can also use assault rifles and the most powerful sniper rifle in the game. I guess it's offset by the fact that you get him so late into the game, and Tali having funny dialogue when using her combat drone.

Amir0x said:

Ignorance?

You're telling me you didn't care about
Legion's naive confusion, realization, and rejection of what individuality really was(despite himself being more individualized than most other Geth) during his loyalty mission?

Son of Godzilla said:
He doesn't even know if it's his, he just thinks he might have his eyes. The way his friend encourages him makes it feel so depressing.

I want to believe too.

Amir0x

Banned
Erico said:
Is it me, or does
legion
make Tali somewhat obsolete? Both have the same 2 base powers, their unlockable powers both help with shield restoration and
legion's
can be used in more situations. He can also use assault rifles and the most powerful sniper rifle in the game. I guess it's offset by the fact that you get him so late into the game, and Tali having funny dialogue when using her combat drone.

Yeah.

Although I thought it prudent that
Legion's abilities were apparently closely related to Tali's, given the relation between the Geth and Quarians

Amir0x said:
ALSO, did you all forget the progression of this horrible technology is EVENTUALLY something as nutso as The Reapers?

What are you talking about? The Reapers have always been. Organic life is nothing but the eventuality of chemical responses.

Macmanus

Amir0x said:
The Geth are goddamn robots. Be serious

You need to start talking to
Legion
. Not only does he have the most interesting information in the game, he opens up the whole sentient can of worms Asimov/PKD style.

Honestly, if that character was a larger part of the game and the focus more towards the recruitment of his kind I think the story could have blossomed a lot more.

Amir0x said:
The Geth are goddamn robots. Be serious

No, you're a robot!
I think if I had to side with either the Geth or the Quarians in Mass Effect 3, and there were no magic blue or red or purple dialog options, I would choose the Geth. >_>

EatChildren

Amir0x said:

BEEP BOOP BOP

Through the Geth the Quarians created digital neurons. They created atificial semantic networks. They created self aware sentiant beings. Then when these beings questioned their existance, questioned their purpose and their future, the Quarians gunned them down.

The Quarians paid a price, but they had to pay it.

neojubei said:
DEBATE...

Genophage...

RIGHT OR WRONG?

The Salarians kinda need to think things through. First they raise Krogans up to fight Rachni, then they fucking punch a hole in their birth rates after they can't put a lid on them.

I definitely think Salarians are the bad ones in this.

I know the easy answer, because it seems the game always Paragon + the answers where people disagree with the genophage, but shit is real with the Krogans. They fuck shit up..

I played the game as if the genophage was the right thing to do. From my standpoint I could only reason it based upon my trust in what Mordin was telling me (as far as his simulations ending in war.

Amir0x

Banned
what? The Reapers had a beginning, just like everything else.

Fimbulvetr said:
Ignorance?

You're telling me you didn't care about
Legion's naive confusion, realization, and rejection of what individuality was during his loyalty mission
?

Not at all! Mainly, I wanted
to shoot his head off and get that satisfying "pop fizz" sound that comes from blowing off robot heads!

EatChildren

You sir are a blight.

EatChildren said:
Through the Geth the Quarians created digital neurons. They created atificial semantic networks. They created self aware sentiant beings. Then when these beings questioned their existance, questioned their purpose and their future, the Quarians gunned them down.

The Quarians paid a price, but they had to pay it.
I don't know about that. In ME1, it makes it sound as if the quarians didn't even realize that ALL of the geth had become sentient yet, and that the order came from the top. We only get the word of an anti-geth quarian 300 years down the line. Who knows how many quarians were in favor of freeing the geth or making peace with them?

Amir0x

Banned
I should have let Tali
shoot his head off
. Fucker was trying to
upload shit about the Migrant Fleet
. Damned purity paragon bullshit!

Robot Sympathizers. Pfft. Send them all to my Pure Shepard.

Amir0x said:
I should have let Tali
shoot his head off
. Fucker was trying to
upload shit about the Migrant Fleet
. Damned purity paragon bullshit!

Robot Sympathizers. Pfft. Send them all to my Pure Shepard.

Of course they were. If you found out that
the people who tried to commit genocide against you were conducting weapons and brainwashing tests on live subjects of your species and were planning to invade you and wipe you out, wouldn't YOU do something about it?

Spiegel

Just finished the game. I don't think any other game can top it this year.

Also, can somebody post the gif of Shepard dancing? I saw it on another thread but can't remember which one was. It was hilarious. :lol

Amir0x

Banned
you can't commit genocide against robots. It's called a system wipe, like deleting my old windows computer or something. only these robots sometimes kill, and they don't do what I say when I click on them.

EatChildren

EmCeeGramr said:
I don't know about that. In ME1, it makes it sound as if the quarians didn't even realize that ALL of the geth had become sentient yet, and that the order came from the top. We only get the word of an anti-geth quarian 300 years down the line. Who knows how many quarians were in favor of freeing the geth or making peace with them?

The impression I got from the first game was that they did realise the Geth were sentient, and knee jerked due to the Council space issue with AI research, and the problem of using Geth for dangerous slave labour when being self aware would essentially classify them as slaves.

They tried to shut them down and the Geth reacted exactly how they should have; defended themselves. War ensured, Quarians died and lost their homeworld.

Amir0x said:
you can't commit genocide against robots. It's called a system wipe, like deleting my old windows computer or something. only these robots sometimes kill, and they don't do what I say when I click on them.
They're not robots though! They're people, they think and feel. Their brains are just made of silicon and metals instead of gray goop.

You're attributing an arbitrary difference between organic compounds doing the computing and non-organic compounds.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Peff said:
Yes. The problem with New Game+ is that the enemies are your level, but balanced to account for the upgrades that you can buy (+50% HP, damage, etc), so you'll be a chunk of the game having trouble but then it should be progressively easier (since you will get more powerful but your level will stay at 30).

I wish there wasn't a level cap for the insanity level on your second run through. I just don't have enough upgrades at this point to stay alive during Horizon - those damn Husk rushes kill me every time (Renegade Infitrator). Would be ok if the game didn't force you to go to Horizon after you pick up your fifth recruit, but since you can't go shopping after the fifth recruit mission, I'm stuck with the upgrades I have. And they're not enough for me to survive Horizon. And I can't respec my points (even assuming that would help) since you don't get that option until after Horizon.

Think I'll wait until we get the level cap raise to 60. Or maybe just restart insanity as another class. Infiltrator is not my favorite.

EmCeeGramr said:
Pretty sure ME1 treats it like the Quarians knew what was up, they just saw it as a mistake that the Geth became sentient so they thought nothing of terminating them.
Legion not being able to explain why the Quarians initiated hostilities got to me. Poor widdle machine.

EmCeeGramr said:
Of course they were. If you found out that
the people who tried to commit genocide against you were conducting weapons and brainwashing tests on live subjects of your species and were planning to invade you and wipe you out, wouldn't YOU do something about it?

You think like an organic.
Legion's loyalty quest makes it pretty clear the Geth understand they are machines and don't even attempt to apply the same standards squishies have. He seemed to be uploading the data solely out of military pragmatism.

Son of Godzilla said:
Pretty sure ME1 treats it like the Quarians knew what was up, they just saw it as a mistake that the Geth became sentient so they thought nothing of terminating them.
Legion not being able to explain why the Quarians initiated hostilities got to me. Poor widdle machine.
In ME1 Tali says something like, "The hope was that the majority of geth were little more than machines, but they had advanced far quicker than anyone had anticipated."

also amir0x is a reverse reaper, seeing organic life as superior and synthetic life as an accident

Spiegel said:
Just finished the game. I don't think any other game can top it this year.

Also, can somebody post the gif of Shepard dancing? I saw it on another thread but can't remember which one was. It was hilarious. :lol

when I got to the
loyalty mission with Samara/Morinth that's all I could think of while I played it

211qvyuvdcl.gif

Do ammo powers stack? if shepard is using squad incendiary ammo, and Jack is using Warp Ammo, will Jack get both effects, or will one supersede the other?

MWS Natural said:
Reave it is..thanks guys :D

If you scan a lot, you actually get enough eezo to change your skill to suit missions. If I know I'll be fighting Geth, I switch to Energy Drain. If I know I'll be going up against guys with armor, I switch to Reave.

Gattsu25

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
They're not robots though! [They are.] They're people [They're not.], they think [They calculate.] and feel [They don't.]. Their brains are just made of silicon and metals instead of gray goop [They are programs designed for cloud computing crippled by a shitty wifi connection. They have no reasoning capabilities and are the result of a compilation bug.].

You're attributing an arbitrary difference between organic compounds doing the computing and non-organic compounds [You are arbitrarily making a connection where there is none.].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom