• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Yo

Banned
Amir0x said:
DEBATE...

Genophage...

RIGHT OR WRONG?

The Salarians kinda need to think things through. First they raise Krogans up to fight Rachni, then they fucking punch a hole in their birth rates after they can't put a lid on them.

I definitely think Salarians are the bad ones in this.

I know the easy answer, because it seems the game always Paragon + the answers where people disagree with the genophage, but shit is real with the Krogans. They fuck shit up.
I really dislike the way the game tells you which is the morally correct stance to take on issues like that. I hope their next franchise abolishes the paragon/renegade meter/ points distribution system. It'd also be nice if they don't put all the answers they have decided are the answers a good guy should make at the top and a bad guy would make at the bottom. Really starts to feel like the decisions you're making aren't your own when you have a visible devil and angel on each shoulder taking score.

Case in point, even though i agreed with the genophage, playing a paragon character meant i had to choose the top options, all of which were adamantly against it. I don't know why Bioware decided they should take sides on morally ambiguous issues like that, but it was kind of dissatisfying.

Persona7

Banned
I need to quit procrastinating and just finish this damn game....Last I remember I stopped right during the garrus trust mission, Disk 2.

Paragon/Renegade aren't right/wrong though. There's almost nothing in the game to compel you to play a "Paragon" character outside of you wanting to play it like a videogame.

Olivero

Hm, interesting dialog with Grunt in regards to Quarians.
He says humans, asari, and salarians are soft. Quarians aren't so soft. Tough skin like turians.

Dan Yo said:
I really dislike the way the game tells you which is the morally correct stance to take on issues like that. I hope their next franchise abolishes the paragon/renegade meter/ points distribution system. It'd also be nice if they don't put all the answers they have decided are the answers a good guy should make at the top and a bad guy would make at the bottom. Really starts to feel like the decisions you're making aren't your own when you have a visible devil and angel on each shoulder taking score.

Case in point, even though i agreed with the genophage, playing a paragon character meant i had to choose the top options, all of which were adamantly against it. I don't know why Bioware decided they should take sides on morally ambiguous issues like that, but it was kind of dissatisfying.

You don't have to do nothing but Paragon choices in order to max out the paragon meter. By the end of the game, I had a full Paragon meter, and a quarter full Renegade meter. Some of the renegade choices and interupts are the better way to go.

You should go with your gut. The only thing you're doing is constraining your own gameplay.

Mutanthands said:
You don't have to do nothing but Paragon choices in order to max out the paragon meter. By the end of the game, I had a full Paragon meter, and a quarter full Renegade meter. Some of the renegade choices and interupts are the better way to go.

You should go with your gut. The only thing you're doing is constraining your own gameplay.
Agreed. The choices are often laid out very simply (top is Paragon, middle is Neutral, bottom is Renegade) but it's a much better idea to think of your choices as something that is based on your own personal decision. Don't think of it as "Oh, I want a Paragon Shep so I'm going to pick the Paragon decision," but more of "If this were real life, what would I do?"

I know, for me atleast, that it makes the experience much better.

McNerdBurger

Neo Member
FromTheFuture said:
Agreed. The choices are often laid out very simply (top is Paragon, middle is Neutral, bottom is Renegade) but it's a much better idea to think of your choices as something that is based on your own personal decision. Don't think of it as "Oh, I want a Paragon Shep so I'm going to pick the Paragon decision," but more of "If this were real life, what would I do?"

I know, for me atleast, that it makes the experience much better.

You sir, have figured it out. Deciding to play Paragon or Renegade exclusively doesn't really constitute any sort of role-playing. Enjoy the creativity that dialogue choices afford you.

Olivero said:
Hm, interesting dialog with Grunt in regards to Quarians.
He says humans, asari, and salarians are soft. Quarians aren't so soft. Tough skin like turians.

He has knowledge imprinted in him when Quarians still had their homeworld. I'm sure a few of the longer living species know them as such as well.

Mindlog

Ultimo hombre said:
Insanity is no joke. Mainly due to ignorant squad AI which does it's best to get killed at the beginning of most fights.

Every fight was a rush to get them into cover and then start battling. As long as I did that I usually had enough time to use their overload/warp as I needed.

Now using unity in the middle of a fight is one of the most comically fruitless efforts in the entire game. It will be useful some of the time, but they'll frequently vault cover for no reason and get themselves killed. They're probably secret Sirta subversives trying to drive up my medigel expenditures.

Red

Mindlog said:
Every fight was a rush to get them into cover and then start battling. As long as I did that I usually had enough time to use their overload/warp as I needed.

Now using unity in the middle of a fight is one of the most comically fruitless efforts in the entire game. It will be useful some of the time, but they'll frequently vault cover for no reason and get themselves killed. They're probably secret Sirta subversives trying to drive up my medigel expenditures.
Their favorite thing to do is try to catch rockets with the tips of their noses. It's like Shepherd is recruiting the bravest, most irrational crew possible.

"Oh, what's the whizzing noise on the other side of this huge slab of rock? I better take a loo-" *head explodes*

Dan Yo

Banned
Mutanthands said:

All I know is that my dialogue bonuses are tied to my paragon/renegade meter. If I don't keep filling one side of the meter, then I'll feel like there's a good possibility I'll end up in a situation where one side of the meter isn't high enough yet for me to diffuse the situation in the manner I wish to.

Regardless, I still don't like being judged on my decisions. Why should there be any indicator as to whether or not the game views my decisions as morally corrupt? It keeps me from really feeling like Jack Bauer in space and feeling more like a Jedi being judged by the council for not following the code.

Just my opinion though. I don't really see a need for the meter. If you think it adds something substantial to the game then that's fine too.

Dan Yo said:
All I know is that my dialogue bonuses are tied to my paragon/renegade meter. If I don't keep filling one side of the meter, then I'll feel like there's a good possibility I'll end up in a situation where one side of the meter isn't high enough yet for me to diffuse the situation in the manner I wish to.

Regardless, I still don't like being judged on my decisions. Why should there be any indicator as to whether or not the game views my decisions as morally corrupt? It keeps me from really feeling like Jack Bauer in space and feeling more like a Jedi being judged by the council for not following the code.

Just my opinion though. I don't really see a need for the meter. If you think it adds something substantial to the game then that's fine too.

I don't think the game is as judgemental as you think. If you max out the renegade meter (by being Jack Bauer, take no prisoners-like), you get the same bonuses you get from maxing out the paragon meter, and can retain the loyalty of both parties when the two arguments come up.

Mutanthands said:
I don't think the game is as judgemental as you think. If you max out the renegade meter (by being Jack Bauer, take no prisoners-like), you get the same bonuses you get from maxing out the paragon meter, and can retain the loyalty of both parties when the two arguments come up.

He's talking about playing half paragon, half renegade. If you don't choose one and stick with it, there will be situations where you won't be able to choose the renegade or paragon options.

He's talking about playing half paragon, half renegade. If you don't choose one and stick with it, there will be situations where you won't be able to choose the renegade or paragon options.
That's if you play half and half. The bars represent overall playstyle. No one decision is going to have an effect on your overall level.

Dan Yo said:

Paragon/Renegade are not Right/Wrong. You are not being judged. Neither Mass Effect lets you play as a morally corrupt character. Paragon/Renegade reflect how other characters view you. Agreeing that the genophage was necessary will make you seem willing to do whatever it takes, while condemning it in the face of reality will make you seem more high-minded. As far as dialogue options go, it's just to give your resolutions believability. If you are mostly some paunce that goes about trying to solve everyone's problems, nobody is going to buy you yelling at your teammates to shut the hell up and fall in line.

And if you are seriously playing by choosing every Paragon option possible, you sure as shit will never be Jack Bauer in space.

Okay, playing as female Shepard, is there a point where you get "locked in" to a specific romance, as happened in ME1?

I've been stringing along pretty much every possible relationship, but I want to know if I hit the point of no return. Any word on this?

Dan Yo

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
That's if you play half and half. The bars represent overall playstyle. No one decision is going to have an effect on your overall level.

Paragon/Renegade are not Right/Wrong. You are not being judged. Neither Mass Effect lets you play as a morally corrupt character. Paragon/Renegade reflect how other characters view you. Agreeing that the genophage was necessary will make you seem willing to do whatever it takes, while condemning it in the face of reality will make you seem more high-minded. As far as dialogue options go, it's just to give your resolutions believability. If you are mostly some paunce that goes about trying to solve everyone's problems, nobody is going to buy you yelling at your teammates to shut the hell up and fall in line.

And if you are seriously playing by choosing every Paragon option possible, you sure as shit will never be Jack Bauer in space.
If the decisions you make have no bearing then what is the reason for the alignment meter and points distribution in the first place? Maybe it doesn't need to really be there.

LaneDS

Quick question: are load times fairly high on the PC? I'm running the game with maxed out settings, runs buttery smooth, but everytime I transition between areas the loading screens take an awful long time. Normal, or should I start troubleshooting?

Edit: Just counted. Took nearly 50 seconds to load from one deck of the Normandy to another. I don't recall it being so bad when I first fired up the game.

LaneDS said:
Quick question: are load times fairly high on the PC? I'm running the game with maxed out settings, runs buttery smooth, but everytime I transition between areas the loading screens take an awful long time. Normal, or should I start troubleshooting?

Edit: Just counted. Took nearly 50 seconds to load from one deck of the Normandy to another. I don't recall it being so bad when I first fired up the game.

I'm playing on PC (through Steam) and my load times are very quick, 15 seconds or less. Between decks it's like... 5 seconds.

LaneDS

timetokill said:
I'm playing on PC (through Steam) and my load times are very quick, 15 seconds or less. Between decks it's like... 5 seconds.

Thanks. Will look into it more and try to figure out what's wrong.

Son of Godzilla said:

My Paragon Shepard couldn't use the Renegade option when interrogating on
Thane's
loyalty mission. If you don't have enough Paragon or Renegade points, you can't choose certain dialogue options. I don't see whats so hard to figure out about this.

In ME1, what you're saying is true. The bars reflected how you played but it also gave bonus points towards Renegade and Paragon. In ME2, they combined the two so you didn't have to spend skill points just to access more dialogue.

Dan Yo said:
If the decisions you make have no bearing then what is the reason for the alignment meter and points distribution in the first place? Maybe it doesn't need to really be there.

No one decision will swing things one way or another. You have room to make a few renegade choices on the way to a full paragon meter, or a few paragon choice on the way to a full renegade meter.

The system is balanced so that you don't have to be 100% one or the other in order to gain the benefits of maxing out one of the meters.

It's not an all or nothing proposition. For example, you can agree with the Genophage all you want, and still make enough paragon points to max out the meter.

Honestly, you're letting the tail wag the dog. You should be going renegade, based on your gameplay preferences and attitudes. Be Jack Bauer in space, enjoy it, and worry about the meters later.

Dan Yo said:
I said individual decisions have no bearing. Overall the game does impose charm restrictions in tune with how you conduct yourself generally.

As far as not displaying the meters, just because some people interpret it as a system to be game'd doesn't mean it isn't an interesting statistic about your character.

Jamesfrom818 said:
Thane's
loyalty mission. If you don't have enough Paragon or Renegade points, you can't choose certain dialogue options. I don't see whats so hard to figure out about this.

What exactly are you trying to say? That the game doesn't let you swing wildly away from how you've conducted yourself for the last thirty hours? This is true. He was complaining that the option in the top right corner wasn't the one he wanted to choose but he had to.

The system is balanced so that you don't have to be 100% one or the other in order to gain the benefits of maxing out one of the meters.
More than that, I'd say that most of the (very) few charm options you need to have a bar heavy in one direction or the other do not make sense as options for someone who has been back and forth.

Jamesfrom818 said:
Thane's

In ME1, what you're saying is true. The bars reflected how you played but it also gave bonus points towards Renegade and Paragon. In ME2, they combined the two so you didn't have to spend skill points just to access more dialogue.

If you are playing middle of the road, then your dialog choices will reflect that by not giving you as many paragon or renegade choices.

The game reflects your playstyle. If you want to job the system by artifically erring towards one side or the other (by not enjoying or agreeing with the choices you make), then you may open up to extra options, but the journey may not be as fufilling for you.

Some people enjoy artificially pointing in one direction or the other to see what crazy shit might happen. The Mass Effects are designed to be played multiple times, so play it your way, then go one way or the other to see what dialog you missed.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
1015'd, woo. Hardest parts of insanity for me were:

1. Collector Ship. Fuck that rotating platform part.
2. Mordin's loyalty mission, surprised me. I got screwed by the krogan waves at the end, even through me and him had heavy incinerate and I had garrus with armor piercing rounds with me. Maybe I should've brought thane, but either way I only managed to get by with infiltrator cloak shenanigans.
3. Tali's loyalty mission. Had Garrus with me again, the combat drone wasn't helping much especially for the cooldown it had. Flanking geth got me bad.

Wasn't too bad aside from that. IFF was shockingly easy, the infiltrator makes Scions an absolute joke, and Grunt was the most helpful ally ever for the husk mania. Suicide mission iteself was also pretty damn easy for me.

Mohonky

Papercuts said:
1015'd, woo. Hardest parts of insanity for me were:

1. Collector Ship. Fuck that rotating platform part.

Puts hand up. Yeop, stuck there right now. Using a Soldier class, any recommendations on crew to take?

Ramirez

I failed Thane's trust mission...=\ I don't know if the guy I was following glitched or what, but I hit the button to update him and nothing happened, then the guy totally disappeared. I didn't save before I started it either, so I guess if I want to gain his loyalty I'll have to do it on a whole new game? sadface

Mohonky

Ramirez said:
I failed Thane's trust mission...=\ I don't know if the guy I was following glitched or what, but I hit the button to update him and nothing happened, then the guy totally disappeared. I didn't save before I started it either, so I guess if I want to gain his loyalty I'll have to do it on a whole new game? sadface

When you are back on the Normandy or wherever you are after the mission, goto Load Game and theres usually an option to restart the last mission you completed.

Ramirez

Mohonky said:
When you are back on the Normandy or wherever you are after the mission, goto Load Game and theres usually an option to restart the last mission you completed.

Crap, wish I woulda known this, I already went ahead and did two others after that. :( Oh well...definitely will be playing this through again at some point anyways.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Mohonky said:
Puts hand up. Yeop, stuck there right now. Using a Soldier class, any recommendations on crew to take?

I actually got so stuck that I restarted the mission with a different set.

I originally had Miranda and Grunt IIRC, but Grunt wasn't doing anything at all here. Try Miranda and Thane, both having warp is a great thing here. I can't say much else because I basically just had them spam warp, I would cloak and headshot someone and eventually I got through, the scions would be much more of a threat if I wasn't the infiltrator.

OMG Aero

Ramirez said:
Wait, if you don't update him it fails the mission and you lose his loyalty?
I just assumed you got a critical mission failure and you could just reload the last checkpoint.

Arjen

OMG Aero said:
Wait, if you don't update him it fails the mission and you lose his loyalty?
I just assumed you got a critical mission failure and you could just reload the last checkpoint.

Nope, somethings happens and the game continues. Make sure you have as save ready during that mission.

AnkitT

Well, just completed the game, and the last mission was the most awesome experience in a game i've had in a long time. Loved it! :D

Mr_Zombie

I've just did Samara's loyal mission, which I really liked (nice to have an important, non side-quest, mission where you don't have to shoot shit, at least for once) but the choice at the end was so stupid I just couldn't believe it :|.

On one hand you can help Samara - a justicar who's seeking and killing criminals and promised you to help you on your mission; on the other hand you can rescue (and probably recruit) Morinth, a ruthless bitch that loves killing random people by having a mind sex with them, and who just wanted to kill you (or at least seduce, but seeing how things with Nef turned out, the result would be the same) just few minutes ago.

Hmm... hard choice, isn't it? I mean really BioWare, at least you could gave Morinth some depth, make me feel sorry for her or understand her, but all I know about her is that she's just a sex addict murderer that loves art.

Why would someone choose Morinth over Samara (other than for just being a dick) is beyond me.

And my God Samara, zip up that suit. Miranda looks stupid during missions with her suit (I love how the commando asari in her loyal mission comments on her look ;D), but Samara with her big cleavage is just ridiculous.

AniHawk

Mr_Zombie said:
I've just did Samara's loyal mission, which I really liked (nice to have an important, non side-quest, mission where you don't have to shoot shit, at least for once) but the choice at the end was so stupid I just couldn't believe it :|.

On one hand you can help Samara - a justicar who's seeking and killing criminals and promised you to help you on your mission; on the other hand you can rescue (and probably recruit) Morinth, a ruthless bitch that loves killing random people by having a mind sex with them, and who just wanted to kill you (or at least seduce, but seeing how things with Nef turned out, the result would be the same) just few minutes ago.

Hmm... hard choice, isn't it? I mean really BioWare, at least you could gave Morinth some depth, make me feel sorry for her or understand her, but all I know about her is that she's just a sex addict murderer that loves art.

Why would someone choose Morinth over Samara (other than for just being a dick) is beyond me.

Because Samara sucks and I wanted her dead.

Mr_Zombie

AniHawk said:
Because Samara sucks

That I can agree with. I hate her look (her big blue eyes are scary D:) and her biotic powers are very so-so (even with maxed out pull and throw she wasn't making as much damage as Jack), but still, BioWare could at least gave
Morinth
some depth so
I wouldn't have to choose between a psycho sex-murderer and a scary not-so-powerful asari with big cleavage

kiryogi

Banned
Mr_Zombie said:

And my God Samara, zip up that suit. Miranda looks stupid during missions with her suit (I love how the commando asari in her loyal mission comments on her look ;D), but Samara with her big cleavage is just ridiculous.

It's definitely the renegade decision of the two if you were to play that style. Morinth is also a really different take on her mother. You'll find her sitting at the observation deck couch instead of meditating like Samara did. I didn't save my decision though, since I was just testing it out. But I imagine there's more interesting dialogue from her over time. The bits I got from first recruiting her were just contrast/rants about her mother. Also, she gets dominate as her loyalty ability. Having Morinth/Tali combo would let you control most of your enemies. Also for added humor, you can get a gameover romance scene with her :lol

neojubei said:
Cerberus Armor and Eviscerator Shotgun DLC Available Tomorrow Feb 9

On Tuesday February 09 2010 Mass Effect 2 fans will be able to get the new Cerberus Assault Armor and M-22a Eviscerator Shotgun DLC fof free through the Cerberus network. It should be available for all fans, both on PC and Xbox 360 at 12:00pm Mountain Standard Time.

Cerberus Assault Armor
Cerberus assault armor is designed for shock troops, turn the tide of battle against creatures or forces that would decimate normal soldiers.
Increases heavy weapon ammo capacity by +10%
Increases shields by +10%
Increases health by +10%

M-22a Eviscerator Shotgun
The M-22a Eviscerator Shotgun is a longer-range shotgun with armor-piercing loads. This design also violates several intergalactic weapons treaties, so the M-22a is not distributed to militaries.

You can learn more about the Cerberus Assault Armor in a Arsenal update with screenshots of the armor in action here: http://masseffect.bioware.com/universe/arsenal/armor/

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/103/index/1074772
nice!!!!

Confidence Man said:
Got the old armor working:
28tukpd.jpg

Not sure if this is the right way to do it; I used this armor model as a new chestpiece, and made blank options for the other pieces. Only problem is if I try and use no helmet it glitches out and reverts to default armor.
cool, you got it to work, I think I'll give it a try to :)

If anyone else is interested, I have a post http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19687623&postcount=12338 with 21 clothes options to wear on the Normandy

Mohonky said:
Why does the pull power not work against armour? Are you shitting me? Barely any powers work against a character that has any sort of barrier or armour and now that I'm on Insane I am being raped during the moving platform section of the collectors. FFS.

That's actually my favorite change to the combat from ME1 to ME2. I couldn't imagine playing the game at any difficulty below Hardcore. Once you get the hang of it, Insanity is easy and Hardcore will be what you set the game to when you feel like a stress-free fun run. It does make most crowd control abilities somewhat pointless and underpowered compared to abilities like Incinerate, Warp, and Overload, all of which are effective against two types of health bars.

The new DLC shotgun seems interesting. Would have been nice to have for when I was playing Vanguard, but it'll give me incentive to play Soldier on my fourth run instead of Adept.

After a lot of bitching, screaming, yelling and whining, my buddy finally beat it on Insane. I was in the party whenever he played so I had to listen to it :lol

Shoogoo

Guys there is something I'm not sure of. My xbox is set to english because I prefer playing in english altough I speak french. To make sure I'd have the game in full english, I bought it during my trip to London this weekend. There is only one language on each copy because there are so much dialogs and I really didn't want to buy ME2 in french as I had ME1 in french and I found it weak compared to the english version.

When I wanted to redeem the code for the Cerberus Network thing, the DLC appeared in french because my windows Live ID location is Belgium and every download I go to always appear in french altough my xbox is in english. I didn't take it yet because I'm scared it would screw things up.

I've had problems with ME1 when they released the second DLC. I had the game in french and took the american DLC. I've never been able to play it.

Also, I couldn't import my characted from ME1 to my ME2 character because I had the french version of ME1, and english version of ME2.

That's a lot of babbling for just one little question: would the problem be solved if I changed my Live ID location to UK?

JayDubya

Banned
Sir Garbageman said:
From what I understood about the genophage, there was the first one during the krogan rebellions that lowered their birthrates exponentially. Later
certain krogans started developing a resistance to it and reproducing more rapidly, so they sent in Mordin and his team to study what was going on and adjust the old strain to drop their birth rates back to the original genophage levels.

Didn't see this.

The reason I said what Mordin claims is being "artful" is this... (and I don't think Bioware just dropped the ball and directly contradicted themselves).

He keeps saying fertility rates: to paraphrase, "Oh, we didn't kill anyone, we just altered fertility rates."

Statistical "fertility rates" only account for live births. The genophage doesn't prevent krogan fertilization, it causes birth defects in most krogan offspring, making them non-viable at birth. Before the genophage, certainly, some small percentage of krogan would have been developed those defects, say x%; after the intervention, something like 99% of krogan young are non-viable.

So yeah, the genophage kills 99-x% of all krogan offspring.

With Urdnot Wrex's strategy going forward, there's going to be a large pile of dead krogan infants outside his centralized female camp, and this is just something they have to press through in order to try to survive as a species at all.

I suppose it's up to the player to determine whether or not it was neccessary; I'm just showing why it's evil, and why on playthroughs where I'm mostly just roleplaying myself, why my Shep argues that the Turians and Salarians responsible were unforgivably wrong.

pringles

Mr_Zombie said:

What? You could
recruit Morinth
?? I play renegade and I didn't realize you could do that :(

JayDubya said:
With Urdnot Wrex's strategy going forward, there's going to be a large pile of dead krogan infants outside his centralized female camp, and this is just something they have to press through in order to try to survive as a species at all.
The game is pretty clear that Krogan women are either fertile or not. They won't be piling up the dead babies unless they really want to. That would be a real war crime, forcing every woman to carry to term something that was never alive, simply hoping to hit the lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom