• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
jenniferhale.jpg

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/12/from-the-vgas-red-carpet-jennifer-hale/

VaLiancY

I finished the Shadow Broker last night. I want more DLC like this, like 2 more and I'll be satisfied but I don't think that will happen.

sadfrog.jpg

subversus

VaLiancY said:
I finished the Shadow Broker last night. I want more DLC like this, like 2 more and I'll be satisfied but I don't think that will happen.

sadfrog.jpg

they're working on another piece of DLC.

I think we'll get two DLC releases, the last one being released in autumn-late summer before ME3 release. Like they did it with The Witch Hunt.

scarybore

VaLiancY said:

sadfrog.jpg

I think we will probably get one more DLC and that will be it sadly. As long as whatever we get is up to Shadow Broker standards, I'll be happy.

Speaking of DLC, Overlord and Shadow Broker Soundtracks are up on Amazon UK.

w0kn7.jpg
2qd4b46.jpg

I love the Shadow Broker tracks but I wish they were longer, especially Agent Combat.

Coldsnap

I just finished the Shadow Broker and I'm wondering if I get friendly with Liara will Maranda not be my smashing buddy in Mass Effect 3... Does she get mad if you cheat on her?

edit: Nvm, i realized after talking to my crew that I was torn between Maranda or Tali; I'm not gonna add another girl into the mix. Sorta strange how a game can make you feel that way... but that's what bioware does best.

Deathcraze said:
Speaking of DLC, Overlord and Shadow Broker Soundtracks are up on Amazon UK.

http://i53.tinypic.com/w0kn7.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/2qd4b46.jpg[IMG]

I love the Shadow Broker tracks but I wish they were longer, especially Agent Combat.[/QUOTE]
thanks

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dark Stalkers said:
Yeah, you start at level 30 with no upgrades and I believe enemies scale.

Yeah, this. If you NG+ you start at the level you finished your first run as, but you dont have any of the equipment or upgrades. You need to purchase them all again. They make a big difference, and so the first chunk of the game has you fighting enemies scaled to your high level with the associated abilities while you have nothing.

I just saw the N7 black hoodie on the bioware store holy shit i have to have that, only 65$ with shipping

I got ME2 for 10$ on kmart.com on black friday, I was holding out for a GOTY version on Xbox but I figured the deal was too good to pass up. I thought it was odd that the default story was all renegade and you had no way to change it. It sucks because I had a level 60 and 2 40+ characters on ME1, but I bought the new LE Reach Xbox and couldnt bring my saves over.

Ive beaten ME2 once so far and it was excellent, so I am replaying ME1 on this Xbox to bring over a paragon w/ Liara and Kaidan is alive save. What is the consensus on the best way to beat Insanity on ME2?

Troidal

I know I'm very late to the party but I finished ME2 today and I have to say that outside of the endgame, the game was pretty good.

But as many have already mentioned, they really stripped down the RPG elements and became a more shooter oriented game. I never played the game like a shooter though even in ME1. I spam the pause screen a lot and select biotic powers all the time so in that sense, it didn't bother me too much.

Bioware really wrote a good story for each of the characters and enjoyed the loyalty quests - especially Garrus and Tali because they were not the standard, find someone, shoot shoot kill kill, mission complete. There was a conversation with the alien professor singing was kinda hilarious...and who would've known that was going to be his swan song...he was the only member that died in my game lol.

The story falls apart when you do the suicide mission though. After all that build-up of recruiting the strongest and the best, the final mission was so lackluster. It definitely does not have the epic-ness of the first game and the conclusion left me with a bad aftertaste.

Not as great as ME1, but far from being one of the disappointments of 2010. I don't think I'll go back playing it anymore though. I'll just hold off until Mass Effect 3.

Wiggum2007

Having just restarted a playthrough of ME1 for the first time since ME2's release, I would like to take this opportunity to point out the superiority of ME1 female armor:

121r9xg.jpg

to the vastly inferior, bulky Space-Football Pads of ME2:

5odw76.jpg

Hey Bioware, bring that shit back for ME3 yo!

subversus

Wiggum2007 said:
Having just restarted a playthrough of ME1 for the first time since ME2's release, I would like to take this opportunity to point out the superiority of ME1 female armor:

Actually I liked the second set of armors better. But if you talk about custumization options, then you're right.

Wiggum2007

subversus said:
Actually I liked the second set of armors better. But if you talk about custumization options, then you're right.

I guess I really liked the sleek, retro sci-fi look of the ME1 armors, and while the ME2 armor still has a bit of that its also moved closer to bulky generic space marine uniform, imo.

But yeah, the customization options really bothered me too, specifically color choices. Like, I can choose from 3 shades of ugly yellow armor but no brown? What the fuck? And for some reason black is not an option for secondary colors, I want my black stripes on white armor dammit!

Picked up Mass Effect 2 for 10 bucks on amazon. Played it when it first released and sold it soon after, going to dive back in soon (couldn't pass it up). Though I have only played through Mass Effect 1 once as well so thinking of doing a series run through so I'm ready for next years release!

54-46!

Wiggum2007 said:

121r9xg.jpg

to the vastly inferior, bulky Space-Football Pads of ME2:

5odw76.jpg

lolno

Grisby

Strider2K99 said:
My Tali Litho finally arrived today although with a slight corner imperfection. Probably due to shipping.

GeMw3l.jpg

Did you get that from the bioware store bud? That's a really good piece of art.

Oh, and that coloring book is amazing. The last page had me chuckling up a storm.

Lime

I agree with Wiggum2007 that the armour in ME1 was more fitting for the female version of Shepard. Not that the ME2 version was bad or anything, it just wasn't as diverse, nor as sleek as the ones in ME1. The Colossus is an example of sublime design and texture. That said, the ME2 armour might have been better if Bioware actually had included high-resolution textures in the PC version, as in ME1.

Also there actually was a tube connecting the helmet to the armour itself in ME1, whereas in ME2 there just was a hole in the back of the head. It didn't make any sense and pulled away from the sci-fi conventions.

The breasts of the armour weren't as video gamey as in ME2 either. They were more pronounced in ME2, whereas the chest-section of the armour in ME1 was more a natural part of the rest of the body /creepy topic of discussion

Empirical evidence (scaled from 1920x1080 to 1280x720):

masseffect2010-01-25167c37.png

masseffect22010-11-212ghwg.png

Duki

Banned
lmao @ some of joker's jokes in the colouring book

how many humans does it take to screw in a lightbulb

one

have him stand still and the universe will revolve around him

xfddddd

Wiggum2007

Lime said:
I agree with Wiggum2007 that the armour in ME1 was more fitting for the female version of Shepard. Not that the ME2 version was bad or anything, it just wasn't as diverse, nor as sleek as the ones in ME1. The Colossus is an example of sublime design and texture. That said, the ME2 armour might have been better if Bioware actually had included high-resolution textures in the PC version, as in ME1.

Also there actually was a tube connecting the helmet to the armour itself in ME1, whereas in ME2 there just was a hole in the back of the head. It didn't make any sense and pulled away from the sci-fi conventions.

The breasts of the armour weren't as video gamey as in ME2 either. They were more pronounced in ME2, whereas the chest-section of the armour in ME1 was more a natural part of the rest of the body /creepy topic of discussion

http://www.abload.de/img/masseffect2010-01-25167c37.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/masseffect22010-11-212ghwg.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://blogs.menupages.com/philadelphia/high%20five.jpg

Yeah I miss the high-res textures, on the ME1 armor you could see the tiniest scratches and marks, it was awesome. And the tube thing really bugged me too. Then you had the 3 different armor models for light/medium/heavy, and on top of that you had not just palette swaps but completely different texture sets as well. Wish you could change the color of the ME2 underarmor. In the perfect world they'd make both ME1 and ME2 armors available in 3, the more customization options the better.

sagat2036

If i buy DLC mission from my xbox 360 will the be made available for the PC as well?

I just got the pc version and it seems i could download the preorder and collector edition bonuses, even the drpepper stuff. Ive yet to get any paid DLC for this game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
sagat2036 said:
If i buy DLC mission from my xbox 360 will the be made available for the PC as well?

I just got the pc version and it seems i could download the preorder and collector edition bonuses, even the drpepper stuff. Ive yet to get any paid DLC for this game.
Nope, it doesn't work for paid DLC.

Lime said:

[IG]http://www.abload.de/img/masseffect2010-01-25167c37.png[/IMG]
[IG]http://www.abload.de/img/masseffect22010-11-212ghwg.png[/IMG]
I'm in the ME1 has better Femshep armor camp as well. Just the options. Mod's helped the PC version of 2, but having choices out of the box would be great for Mass Effect 3.

Okay, I have a question about Mass Effect 2/3.

I finished ME2 with a Renegade path but it was a bit of a messy playthrough and I didn't do all the upgrades to the ship so two of my crew members (Thane and Jack) were killed. I kind of wanted them all to survive so I started again with a Paragon playthrough but I lost interest about halfway through because Paragon just isn't as interesting as being a total renegade asshole.

So I'm thinking about diving into the ME2 DLC and having my Renegade character be the one that I will eventually import into ME3. But I'm wondering if it will be a big deal if a couple of my crewmates are dead. Am I likely to miss out on much cool stuff if Thane and Jack are dead?

kai3345

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Okay, I have a question about Mass Effect 2/3.

I finished ME2 with a Renegade path but it was a bit of a messy playthrough and I didn't do all the upgrades to the ship so two of my crew members (Thane and Jack) were killed. I kind of wanted them all to survive so I started again with a Paragon playthrough but I lost interest about halfway through because Paragon just isn't as interesting as being a total renegade asshole.

So I'm thinking about diving into the ME2 DLC and having my Renegade character be the one that I will eventually import into ME3. But I'm wondering if it will be a big deal if a couple of my crewmates are dead. Am I likely to miss out on much cool stuff if Thane and Jack are dead?
Doubt it.

Since every character in 2 is killable, don't expect any of them to have a large role, or any role for that matter, in ME3. It would be too much work for them to create content based around a character that a large portion of their players would never see.

It would be cool, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

So no, there will likely be little effect on your ME3 savegame because Thane and Jack died.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gary Whitta said:
Am I likely to miss out on much cool stuff if Thane and Jack are dead?

The only thing we know about ME3 comes from the launch trailer. I doubt you will miss too much, but nobody really knows at this point what role the squaddies in ME2 will play in ME3.

subversus

It seems that Wrex is the only available squad mate from ME1 to participate in ME3. And that's sad.

MechaX

Gary Whitta said:
Am I likely to miss out on much cool stuff if Thane and Jack are dead?

I doubt it. If Bioware even follows a tiny bit of player response, then Garrus, Tali, Mordin, and Legion are the most likely to even do anything substantial in ME3. But yeah, nothing substantial as of yet.

subversus

Guys, that's just my assumption. Since Kaiden/Ashley are dead, all ME2 squad mates could end up dead and Liara is busy
helping us with intel
, there aren't a lot of options available.

EatChildren

subversus said:
Guys, that's just my assumption. Since Kaiden/Ashley are dead, all ME2 squad mates could end up dead and Liara is busy
helping us with intel
, there aren't a lot of options available.

All squadmates across both games could potentially be dead, Wrex included.

subversus

EatChildren said:
All squadmates across both games could potentially be dead, Wrex included.
Aw shit, I forgot that episode.

So no returning squad mates at all huh?

EatChildren

subversus said:
Aw shit, I forgot that episode.

So no returning squad mates at all huh?

Outside of cameo roles I dont think it looks good. Liara is the only one guaranteed to show up, but I doubt she'll be a squaddy.

Its a shame, especially regarding Tali and Garrus. I felt that both of those characters being squad mates in both games, and Garrus being one of the most popular characters, would guarenty they'd return to finish the series. I almost feel they are second only to Shepard, simply due to the amount of screen time they're given.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think it's still way too early to even talk like the squad mates won't show up. A fairly simple remedy is to have the default file make it through the mission unscathed for people who haven't played 2, so only the people who went through and had people die would be missing anything.

I love ME2, much more than 1. I can understand the hate for it not moving the overarching plot forward, but if 3 seriously takes everything you did in 2 and basically throws it because they can potentially die, I'm going to rip the game a new asshole in complete rage.

I think I'm going to risk it because I really don't want to play through all over again when there's DLC to be played! I'll just have to live with the consequences of my decisions, that's what Mass Effect is all about!

EatChildren

Papercuts said:
I think it's still way too early to even talk like the squad mates won't show up. A fairly simple remedy is to have the default file make it through the mission unscathed for people who haven't played 2, so only the people who went through and had people die would be missing anything.

That's not how they do it though. The most efficient direction for production is to have the 'default' playthrough a renegade playthrough were everyone dies and everything goes to shit. ME2 was like that. It makes it easier to structure a 'complete' game without worrying that important content wont be seen by someone importing a file.

The main concern about returning squadmates is that its inefficient development to dedicate a significant amount of time to content only a certain percentage of players will see. In the case of squadmates, a lot of work goes into them. All that dialogue, recording, missions, modelling, balance, etc. Nobody is going to put in that kind of work for something that may never be experienced.

A lot of us dont expect any of the squaddies from ME2 to be squadmates in ME3 for this reason. Just look at ME2. The three squadmates that could die in ME1 had far less screen time in ME2 than the three who were guarentied to survive.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; BioWare dug themselves a hole by making the entire roster killable in the ME2 finale.

Dresden

"Garrus, I thought you died aboard the Collector ship!"

"Nah... just had to do some calibrations."

Just retcon the damn plot and bring back my alien bros. Mass Effect is pulp SF. No need for serious business.

EatChildren

Garrus will calibrate his way back out of Turian hell.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
EatChildren said:
That's not how they do it though. The most efficient direction for production is to have the 'default' playthrough a renegade playthrough were everyone dies and everything goes to shit. ME2 was like that. It makes it easier to structure a 'complete' game without worrying that important content wont be seen by someone importing a file.

The main concern about returning squadmates is that its inefficient development to dedicate a significant amount of time to content only a certain percentage of players will see. In the case of squadmates, a lot of work goes into them. All that dialogue, recording, missions, modelling, balance, etc. Nobody is going to put in that kind of work for something that may never be experienced.

A lot of us dont expect any of the squaddies from ME2 to be squadmates in ME3 for this reason. Just look at ME2. The three squadmates that could die in ME1 had far less screen time in ME2 than the three who were guarentied to survive.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; BioWare dug themselves a hole by making the entire roster killable in the ME2 finale.

ME1 worked a lot different though. Wrex lived or died based on a paragon(IIRC) check, and either Kaiden or Ashley HAD to die. It split it a lot more than the ME2 choices did since it basically amounted to:

--If female shep chooses ashley to live
--If female shep chooses kaiden to live
--Romance(y/n)
--If male shep chooses kaiden to live
--If male shep chooses ashley to live
--Romance(y/n)

No matter what, this split was made with no safe remedy. In 2 nobody HAS to die, which I feel is the crucial difference.

It's going to be a lot of work figuring out what to do, but I atleast have faith that Bioware realized this when they made ME2 completely focused on the squad to not retcon them out.

Of course, if I'm wrong I'll eat my words in a rage and I'd imagine whatever cop out they pull would drop the entire ME series quite a few pegs in my eyes.

Zen

Banned
Lime said:

http://www.abload.de/img/masseffect2010-01-25167c37.png

http://www.abload.de/img/masseffect22010-11-212ghwg.png

I never realized this, but you're absolutely right. ME1 armor had such sci fi class in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom