• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bizzyb said:
I just got Fallout 3 GOTY edition and am currently playing Read Deads Undead Nightmare. As far as DLC goes I consider those games to have top notch DLC....i.e. REAL DLC. How does Mass Effects DLC compare?

Haven't played Undead, but not as hefty as FO3. A lot better than what was offered for Dragon Age, though.

Lair of the Shadow Broker is pretty great.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Skilotonn said:
Hey man, I'm not a greedy person, go for it :)

Mad snakes. Be prepared for me to rip your work as I please, because I'm a cunt like that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mindlog said:
Will we be rolling dual spoiler/non-spoiler threads again?

I figure. There will be a fair few people who dont know the story, so I wont be putting spoiler info in the op beyond really minor stuff (eg: YOU RECRUIT CHARACTERS!!!!!!!).

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
wow, shadow broker turned out to be a pretty good DLC. Better than Overlord. It actually adds to the game more than just an adventure. But Overlord is also good. The final scene was pretty powerful.
I should've shot the motherfucker

And some hilarious reading afterward. Check out the terminals after everything is done.

My Sheppard had a romantic relationship in the first game, so there was a bonus for me. It's good since she was faithful to Liara.
I stopped visiting Garrus as soon as Sheppard began flirting with him. The horror :lol

kai3345

Banned
Just bought and finished Kasumi.

Ehhhh, it was an okay mission, im not sure if it was worth the 7 bucks. Maybe once I do my replay I'll get more value out of it since I'll be using Kasumi for more than just one mission.

Absolutely phenomenal game that I never got to praise enough. One thing that slightly annoyed me is that mining all the minerals in the world really has no benefit you need about 50% of the available metals to be able to upgrade completely and I kept thinking some supreme upgrade was going to be needed. Upgrading your ships defenses was utterly pointless as well.

Wallach

BruceLeeRoy said:
Absolutely phenomenal game that I never got to praise enough. One thing that slightly annoyed me is that mining all the minerals in the world really has no benefit you need about 50% of the available metals to be able to upgrade completely and I kept thinking some supreme upgrade was going to be needed. Upgrading your ships defenses was utterly pointless as well.

If you don't upgrade your ships defenses people will permanently die in your attempt to get to the Collector base.

Wallach said:
If you don't upgrade your ships defenses people will permanently die in your attempt to get to the Collector base.

Really 0_0! I was never aware of that I just assumed there was going to be some space fight.

Flipside

Warnen said:
Any more DLC being made for this (not weapon packs and BS like that)?

I think they said there would be quite some DLC for Mass Effect 2. I read that Lair of the Shadowbroker was the first in a series of DLC that would bridge the story gap from ME2 to ME3, which is pretty cool if you ask me :D

subversus

Yes, I need to play on insanity to appreciate combat fully. They should raise the difficulty for the next one.

kai3345 said:
Just bought and finished Kasumi.

Ehhhh, it was an okay mission, im not sure if it was worth the 7 bucks. Maybe once I do my replay I'll get more value out of it since I'll be using Kasumi for more than just one mission.
Kasumi is borderline overpowered. Improved Flashbang has a huge radius and a really long duration and Rapid Shadow Strike is too good. She's a fine addition to the team. Plus she says cute things about you and your love interest.

subversus

By the way I bough all DLC packs and found a modular armor there. Finally. The ommision of toggle helmet option for other costumes is unbearable.

Arjen

subversus said:
Yes, I need to play on insanity to appreciate combat fully. They should raise the difficulty for the next one.

Overall Insanity was pretty doable, but if parts like Horizon and
collector ship
would be even more harder i would probably hurt myself

Rubezh

kai3345 said:
I'm fairly certain Shadow Broker was the last DLC

Eurogamer: Are we done with DLC for Mass Effect 2?

Greg Zeschuk: We're told we're still in development. We're not done yet. We're still ongoing.

Ray Muzyka: We haven't announced details of the next ones yet. We're still working on stuff in the Mass Effect universe actively. We haven't announced any details of what that is yet, but we're working on lots cool stuff.

Greg Zeschuk: We have a pretty long DLC plan for Mass. We're still doing lots of stuff there.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...s-talk-ea-louse-mass-effect-3-swtor-interview

subversus

Arjen said:
Overall Insanity was pretty doable, but if parts like Horizon and
collector ship
would be even more harder i would probably hurt myself

it depends on your class, but yes, Horizon was pretty hard even on hardcore if you don't have necessary upgrades.

Lime

subversus said:
By the way I bough all DLC packs and found a modular armor there. Finally. The ommision of toggle helmet option for other costumes is unbearable.

Which DLC pack is this (that have the modular armour)?

So just starting this.

I never finished ME.

Going to play an Infiltrator this time, thinking thats a fun class?

Also, I have been trying to find what the "default" story is if you start a new game for events that happened in ME.

E.g., now I know that till now it means, Ashley was saved and Council was not saved. Can't find anything that would tell me what starting a New Game sets those events too.

EatChildren

Depends your sex I think. Female is Kaiden, Male is Ashley.

'Default' ME2 is mostly renegade choices from the first game.

subversus

Shit I realized that I shouldn't be expecting Ashley DLC down the line because she could be dead. ARGH!!!

But well, they could make Ashley/Kaiden DLC. Do want.

EatChildren said:
Depends your sex I think. Female is Kaiden, Male is Ashley.

'Default' ME2 is mostly renegade choices from the first game.

Ok cool. Do you also get romatically linked with Ashley as new Male char in ME2 or you come in as not romantically involved with anyone?

And I am guessing Wrex is dead if we are talking of Renegade choices?

EatChildren

cartoon_soldier said:
Ok cool. Do you also get romatically linked with Ashley as new Male char in ME2 or you come in as not romantically involved with anyone?

And I am guessing Wrex is dead if we are talking of Renegade choices?

Not sure about the romantic links, but you can check by going to your private cabin in the Normandy. If there's a picture frame with Ashley in it, then its set as romanced.

And yeah, Wrex is dead, as is the Rachni queen and all that.

Did ME2 ever get a release in Japan and was it popular if it was?

nope:

out on Jan 13th 2011.
I wonder what they will make of the premier wrpg for consoles 2010.

EatChildren

Templar Wizard said:
Did ME2 ever get a release in Japan and was it popular if it was?

Will be out in Japan 'this winter'.

subversus

subversus

MrTroubleMaker said:
Yeah it would have been great if they were lossless or CD.

the first OST was. I wonder if they release the limited edition when DLC is wrapped up.

Foreign Jackass said:
Is the DLC meant to be played when you finished the game or is it better to play it before going in the final fights?

It doesn't really matter. The dialogue is a bit different in a few spots depending on when you do LOTSB, but that's pretty much it. And doing the DLC earlier let's you get some upgrades when you might actually use them.

Foreign Jackass said:
Is the DLC meant to be played when you finished the game or is it better to play it before going in the final fights?
Lair of the Shadow Broker has some specific dialogue if you tackle it post-Suicide Mission, so I'd advise doing that. The others can be played whenever you fancy. Kasumi and Zaeed should, of course, be played béfore you head through the Omega 4-relay. :p

subversus

It turned out that insanity is really insanity if you don't have uber weapons from DLC
or Collector's ship

hermit7

subversus said:
It turned out that insanity is really insanity if you don't have uber weapons from DLC
or Collector's ship

I have played ME2 on Insanity with pretty much every class, and have found it manageable with every one. It is all about playing to the strengths of the class. IE if you are a Engineer use the Drone intelligently.

DLC weapons were fantastic though, the Mattock Rifle and Geth Plasma Shotty were great.

X-Frame

Since I've played through ME2 a couple times on Insanity with the Soldier and Engineer, I can't go back to playing anything BUT Insanity. It's just too fun and challenging - really tests your tactics.

I'm debating if I want to continue pounding away with my 360 version or wait for the PS3 version.

subversus

ok, so any advices on powers combos then? I use them but I still don't quite understand a logic behind them. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. For example if I hit somebody with warp and then with throw shouldn't be there an explosion of some kind? I'm quite incosistent at combos.

scarybore

subversus said:
ok, so any advices on powers combos then? I use them but I still don't quite understand a logic behind them. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. For example if I hit somebody with warp and then with throw shouldn't be there an explosion of some kind? I'm quite incosistent at combos.

If you use singularity or pull on an enemy, and then use warp on them while they are still affected by those powers, you will get the warp explosion that deals more damage.

Also when using pull, you can then use charge or throw for more damage depending on how far you send them flying.

subversus

Deathcraze said:
If you use singularity or pull on an enemy, and then use warp on them while they are still affected by those powers, you will get the warp explosion that deals more damage.

Also when using pull, you can then use charge or throw for more damage depending on how far you send them flying.

is that all? I knew about charge but I'm playing as Adept now (engineer + biotic girl, I think it's Adept).

X-Frame

Also, if you're a Vanguard, if you hit someone with Charge and then with Warp (teammate) you should get an explosion too. Vanguard + Miranda/Thane is a good combo for that too.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
X-Frame said:
Since I've played through ME2 a couple times on Insanity with the Soldier and Engineer, I can't go back to playing anything BUT Insanity. It's just too fun and challenging - really tests your tactics.

I'm debating if I want to continue pounding away with my 360 version or wait for the PS3 version.

Fuck both. PC :D

This game is godly on PC, and I don't even have a good rig.

subversus

yes, insanity is the only way to play for me now. At least I have to retreat sometimes because motherfuckers are prone to push

also my second femshep. Support femshep, she needs it according to Bioware data!

masseffect22010-11-2523ac9.png

Lime

I replayed this game + all of the DLC. Lair of the Shadowbroker was the best DLC I've ever played. It's definitely one of the highlights of the series (
especially the reconciliation between Liara and Femshep
). It was done very tastefully, imo.

After revisiting the game, my gripes with it are somewhat lessened. I normally felt that ME1 had a much better plot, but I've come to learn that ME2 tries to achieve something different. The intention is more of constructing characters, and thereby ground Shepard/the player in the universe, rather than situating the player in the large-scale plots from ME1. The whole
Reaper/Harbinger
thing was secondary to this aspect of ME2.

I really appreciate what ME2 achieved in terms of characters, building the universe and making the player relate to it. I still consider ME1 to be best in terms of atmosphere and overall plot (Virmire and afterwards was :O), but ME2 aims for something different, which makes it stand on its own terms, rather than being compared to ME1.

scarybore

a407z6.jpg

The Kasumi soundtrack is out on Amazon UK, all very nice but I'm more excited for the Lair of the Shadow Broker and Overlord soundtracks which are both released on the 14th of December.

I also went a bit mad at the BioWare store today, I just had to buy this. :D

2ihavxs.jpg

Lime said:
I replayed this game + all of the DLC. Lair of the Shadowbroker was the best DLC I've ever played. It's definitely one of the highlights of the series (
especially the reconciliation between Liara and Femshep
). It was done very tastefully, imo.

Agreed on all counts. I just hope BioWare can carry the quality of Lair of the Shadow Broker into the next DLC, whatever that may be.

Edit: Forgot to mention, but the Cerberus daily news has been pretty interesting the past few days too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom