• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
EatChildren said:
Oh, and completing the Shadow Broker DLC allows you access to squad skill rebuilding, so you can fix all your screw ups. Its a life saver.
Ahh, excellent. Guess I'll do that before I go off to the relay
and just live with the fact that my crew gets turned into slush.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Psychotext said:
Ahh, excellent. Guess I'll do that before I go off to the relay
and just live with the fact that my crew gets turned into slush.

Do everything before you go on the mission to collect the IFF and you'll be fine.

EatChildren said:
Do everything before you go on the mission to collect the IFF and you'll be fine.
Ahh, I thought that was another forced one. I misread. Thanks.

Now I have to get through this damn collector ambush mission with my poorly specced squad and no Thane.
:(

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
kai3345 said:
You guys remember this trailer? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shtR-L2XFTM

Sigh..... I want to be able to play as garrus :(

holy shit.

He spoils the main plot twist in the first minute of the video! It's sooooo good that I haven't read any review, preview or impressions of ME1. I haven't watched any video except lik 5 minutes of introduction gameplay.

I'm going to do the same with ME3.

subversus

Finished watching this POS video.

I would NEVER have bought this game if I had watched it before. Ashley's voice is a complete joke. Combat looks slow and uninspiring. Shepard looks ugly. Sending your squad mate to the cover was handled better in PC version.

Playing as your squad mate might be a decent feature but it definitely would take focus from Shepard and I won't be feeling as a badass hero or something like that. It's the same in KOTOR. I don't give a damn about my main character because she's just another grunt in my squad and I prefer to control other members.

Bioware did right choices.

subversus

Lostconfused said:
How is that a twist? You find that out like in the first hour of the game. Thats the main plot. I have no idea how you can spoil it.

I find out who Reapers are in the first hour of the game? :lol

it was a huge surprise for me when I met Sovereign the first time.

Xamdou

Just finished the Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC, and wow amazing!
+From meeting Liara again
+Entering the exterior of the SB space vessel (reminded me of the epic route sequence you had to take to reach the Council in the first ME)
+Seeing the Shadow Broker face to face (The guy looks so much more intimidating than any Krogan!)
+Liara ended up becoming the new Shadow Broker will be a HUGE help in the fight against the Reapers.
+Hidden info of all major characters in the game including the SB, Illusive man, Captain Anderson, and all your allies.
+Closure with Liara.

Overall best DLC I've downloaded!

.GqueB.

Banned
Mindlog said:
Kaiden/Ashley don't get abducted.
Im a bit hazy on the facts so I guess Im forgetting. But I do remember her being abducted and then dying in my game though. I believe I even watched her die. Mostly because I recall thinking "I let her live in the first game and they just simply kill her off in the second" and being a little annoyed by it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
.GqueB. said:
Im a bit hazy on the facts so I guess Im forgetting. But I do remember her being abducted and then dying in my game though. I believe I even watched her die. Mostly because I recall thinking "I let her live in the first game and they just simply kill her off in the second" and being a little annoyed by it.

She is shown getting paralized, but then appears at the end of the mission to chat with (read: abuse) Shepard. Then she pisses off never to be seen again. How she managed to reverse the paralysis is never explained. Just one of Mass Effect 2's many, many plot holes.

.GqueB. said:
Maybe she's just so generic looking that you confused her with the other colonist that bites it in the end as an example of what the reapers are doing.

JoeBoy101

EatChildren said:
She is shown getting paralized, but then appears at the end of the mission to chat with (read: abuse) Shepard. Then she pisses off never to be seen again. How she managed to reverse the paralysis is never explained. Just one of Mass Effect 2's many, many plot holes.

Well, isn't at least somewhat safe to assume that
the paralysis is temporary and being one of, if not the, first person stung, she would have come out of it before the others?

That's not to say there isn't glaring plot holes, just don't think that's one of them.

subversus said:
I find out who Reapers are in the first hour of the game? :lol

it was a huge surprise for me when I met Sovereign the first time.

The Reaper threat is hinted at after the Eden Prime mission and I believe it is completely revealed after you rescue Tali on the Citadel. Sovereign's role and the specifics of the cycle of destruction aren't supposed to be revealed until Virmire. I definitely remember being spoiled by some prerelease content though. I know I went in knowing the truth about Sovereign, which kind of sucks.

Edit:
Lostconfused said:

Ha, yeah there.

subversus said:
that's not the main plot twist. I thought I was fighting Geth, then this red Bug came out of nowhere and presented himself as real threat.

And Hudson spoils who is the real enemy in this video.
Ok I have no idea what you are talking about anymore.

tmarques

Just finished the Kazumi DLC, whatever it was called. Glad I didn't pay full price for it - very short and no challenge if you've already finished the main game. Though I admit hearing Kazumi say "Now you see me..." before teleporting and hitting an enemy from behind brought a smile to my face.

subversus

Felix Lighter said:
The Reaper threat is hinted at after the Eden Prime mission and I believe it is completely revealed after you rescue Tali on the Citadel.

No, the first vision was a visual mess for me, I didn't take any clues from it. When Tali shares her evidence on the Citadel she says something like Geth worship Reapers or something like that, but I might not remember details right. What I remember from my first walkthrough is that I wanted Tali to give me evidence against Saren and she did. That'd eclipsed everything else in her message.

subversus said:
No, the first vision was a visual mess for me, I didn't take any clues from it. When Tali shares her evidence on the Citadel she says something like Geth worship Reapers or something like that, but I might not remember details right. What I remember from my first walkthrough is that I wanted Tali to give me evidence against Saren and she did. That'd eclipsed everything else in her message.
Ok so you have a bad memory. I linked a video you could have watched.

Saren: I am totally going to bring back the reapers.
Shepaprd: Reapers...that sounds familiar.
Tali: Didn't you watch the matrix? A bunch of machines killed the protheans 50,000 years ago.

subversus

Lostconfused said:
Ok so you have a bad memory. I linked a video you could have watched.

Saren: I am totally going to bring back the reapers.
Shepaprd: Reapers...that sounds familiar.
Tali: Didn't you watch the matrix? A bunch of machines killed the protheans 50,000 years ago.

Well, I watched it and you're sort of right. The thing is that even after watching this video I wasn't thinking about Reapers as a threat because she said that Saren tries to bring them back but there's no info if he succeeded or not. So I concluded that he tries to bring them back and I must stop him from doing it. But I'd never thought that one Ripper is already brought back and Saren is
just his puppet
. I never thought that I'll actually fight them. They were just a pure abstraction to me.

But after watching E306 video I would definitely think of Reapers as of real enemies which impose a threat.

subversus said:
Well, I watched it and you're sort of right. The thing is that even after watching this video I wasn't thinking about Reapers as a threat because she said that Saren tries to bring them back but there's no info if he succeeded or not. So I concluded that he tries to bring them back and I must stop him from doing it. But I'd never thought that one Ripper is already brought back and Saren is
just his puppet
. I never thought that I'll actually fight them. They were just a pure abstraction to me.

But after watching E306 video I would definitely think of Reapers as of real enemies which impose a threat.
Well I guess we are all lucky that you just never watched that video because in your unique case its somehow transforms into a spoiler. All is well that ends well.

IoCaster

Psychotext said:
Quick question... is there any way to put off the auto progression of the story missions? I'm struggling to get everything done before getting the dreaded
the Illusive Man wants to speak to you
message. :(

Just too much to try and fit in with all the DLC. I know I can put off
using the relay after getting the IFF
but I was wondering if there's anything else I can avoid earlier.

I'm going to answer this post with a general heads-up to anyone that might be interested. I'll spoiler my reply for obvious reasons.

When you first arrive on the Normandy you'll get (not counting DLC characters) four dossiers. As soon as you finish recruiting these four (Mordin, Garrus, Jack and Grunt) the game will automatically trigger a communication with the Illusive Man. You will not be able to avoid this or the mission that he directs you to undertake.

There will be optional side missions available before this happens. There will also be DLC characters (Zaeed and Kasumi) that you can recruit, if you've bought and downloaded the content, before this happens as well. If you're planning on a completionist playthrough of the game then you would be well advised to get this content done before you get the last of the mandatory four (Mordin, Garrus, Jack and Grunt) recruited. It's not required but it's probably best to get it done since there are credits, upgrades, weapons and useful squad members available.

After you've been directed to deal with a certain problem on
Horizon
, you'll then get access to some new locations on the galaxy map.

You'll get three new dossiers of characters available for recruitment (Thane, Samara and Tali). One important thing to note is that you'll also get the first set of loyalty missions for squad members already recruited. Once you go to Illium you'll also get an opportunity to buy some star charts that will open up the galaxy map with new locations that contain more side missions as well. At this point you'll have a shitload of content available to pick and choose from. This isn't counting any of the new DLC that's come out since the game shipped (Firewalker, Overlord and LotSB).

Here is the important thing to remember. Once you've done five of any combination of missions, that result in a mission complete screen, the main plot will advance. That means that you'll get another dialogue with the Illusive Man that's unavoidable and the next main story mission that's mandatory. At the end of this mission (Collector Ship) you'll be advised that there's a certain objective (Reaper IFF) that you can choose to go after immediately. Don't go there if you have any unfinished business to get done. This will be your point of no return in regards to getting the "No One Left Behind" achievement. Get all of the recruitment and loyalty missions done before you go after the IFF for the best result if you care about your squad and crew surviving the suicide mission. Optional side quests and/or DLC missions can be done post game if you prefer to wait.

So to sum this post up. There are three points of progression that you need to keep track of. The first is that once you've recruited (Mordin, Garrus, Jack and Grunt) in whatever order you choose it'll trigger the main plot to proceed to the next stage (Horizon). Once you've completed (after Horizon) five missions, (recruit, loyalty or side quest) that result in a mission complete screen, you'll be automatically prompted to talk to the Illusive Man and a mandatory plot mission (Collector Ship). Once you've completed this mission you'll have the option to go after the Reaper IFF. Full Stop! Don't do it (IFF) until you've got everything that you want to get done (pre-suicide mission) completed.

That's about as bare bones a summation as I could think of to post without getting into any detailed specifics.

After having typed all of that info, I'll note, that it is possible to alter the game in such a way that will let you control the course of events. I've been able to mod the game (PC) and recruit any squad member in whatever order I choose and delay triggering the main plot progression to suit my preference. That's beyond the scope of what I intended with this post.

IoCaster

JoeBoy101 said:
Well, isn't at least somewhat safe to assume that
the paralysis is temporary and being one of, if not the, first person stung, she would have come out of it before the others?

That's not to say there isn't glaring plot holes, just don't think that's one of them.

I'd normally agree but the Collectors were there specifically, according to the Illusive man, because of her presence. It's strange that she was amongst the first stung, an initial target, readily to hand and not abducted. That's not explained at any point in the narrative so I'm sympathetic to people that would refer to it as a plot hole. At the very least it's a logical inconsistency.

TheYanger

Lostconfused said:
Well I guess we are all lucky that you just never watched that video because in your unique case its somehow transforms into a spoiler. All is well that ends well.

It's a difference of knowing vs not knowing. When you already know the main plot that seems totally like it tells it to you right then and there, on the other hand if you're going in unspoiled and you know nothing about it, it seems like throwaway backstory. I don't know ANYONE that already knew what was going on until Virmire the first time they played it. I was pretty surprised to hear the spoilers in that trailer.

That's like going back after the fact and saying 'see it was so obvious what happened' in KOTOR, but in reality the twist was well orchestrated BECAUSE they didn't have to hide it, they construct the plot in a way that makes it not seem like some deus ex machina plot twist but it's still intended to be surprising due to the emphasis of the storyline causing misdirection. Spoiling it spoils that misdirection.

IoCaster said:
I'd normally agree but the Collectors were there specifically, according to the Illusive man, because of her presence. It's strange that she was amongst the first stung, an initial target, readily to hand and not abducted. That's not explained at any point in the narrative so I'm sympathetic to people that would refer to it as a plot hole. At the very least it's a logical inconsistency.

In ME3 we'll discover that
Ashley/kaiden are actually a clon and that the real one was abducted and died back then, only if you cheated her/him or not romanced her/him, although in the case of both of them I'll be very happy to destroy them

TheYanger said:
It's a difference of knowing vs not knowing. When you already know the main plot that seems totally like it tells it to you right then and there, on the other hand if you're going in unspoiled and you know nothing about it, it seems like throwaway backstory. I don't know ANYONE that already knew what was going on until Virmire the first time they played it. I was pretty surprised to hear the spoilers in that trailer.

That's like going back after the fact and saying 'see it was so obvious what happened' in KOTOR, but in reality the twist was well orchestrated BECAUSE they didn't have to hide it, they construct the plot in a way that makes it not seem like some deus ex machina plot twist but it's still intended to be surprising due to the emphasis of the storyline causing misdirection. Spoiling it spoils that misdirection.

I don't think that's the case here. Shepard tries to convince the Council, while still on the Citadel, that the Reapers are a threat. I think the player is supposed to be aware stopping the Reaper invasion is the main goal. The twists in the story are
Sovereign is a Reaper, controlling Saren and the Geth. The mass relays and the Citadel were created by the Reapers to manipulate and trap all advanced species as part of their cycle of destruction that has been happening for millions of years. Also, the Prothean's created a mass relay on the Citadel and a group of Prothean's that survived the Reaper invasion used it to stop the signal that would trigger the keeper's to activate the Citadel, which is why the cycle of destruction has been disrupted at least temporarily

subversus

Felix Lighter said:
I don't think that's the case here. Shepard tries to convince the Council, while still on the Citadel, that the Reapers are a threat. I think the player is supposed to be aware stopping the Reaper invasion is the main goal.

it's the main goal, but I though that by stopping Reapers they meant stopping Saren and Geth from bringning them back on my first playthrough. I never expected to face Reapers. They were just abstract dudes that COULD be dangerous if somebody brings them back.

McNum

Wow, this game is better than I expected it to be. I'm still not happy with the UI, I can't tell how badly hurt my squadmates are until the popup telling me to use Unity to revive one of them pops up. Granted, they're pretty good at not dying, but it'd be nice to at least know that they lost shields or something. Also the Ammo thing, why exactly can't I fire a gun empty and have it cool off like in ME1? It feels so... forced compared to the original.

On the flipside, I love the upgrades to the dialog wheel with the interrupts. Some of those Renegade interrupts were really tempting at times, but I'm playing Paragon and I really like how Paragon Shepard works in this one. All of
Tali's
loyalty mission was just perfect as a Paragon.
Putting the admirals in their place, twice, and of course, the interrupt when Tali finds her father. "Poor Tali I wish I could- Paragon Interrupt?" *click* "Aww..." More games need a hug button.

Well, I got a few more Loyalty missions to go before I go
Reaper IFF fishing
. I think
Mordin and Grunt
are next. Same planet. Already did the Shadow Broker mission, too. If that is a preview of what Bioware is up to for ME3, I am so in.
The car chase
was a surprise, to say the least, and the
Shadow Broker himself
was an awesome boss fight. I hope this has an effect in ME3.
Having Liara set up in that position
is going to be immensely useful, I'd think. I also think that
telling her that it's okay just to be friends, then going after Tali
is going to come back and bite me somehow. That'll be fun, in the Krogan sense of fun.

One question, though. From the time I begin the
Reaper IFF
mission and until the end, how long is that? I think I want to do that in one go.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I just finished the Kasumi and Overlord DLC. I love Kasumi! She's my new favorite female crew member along with Miranda and she has awesome abilities to boot!

The Overlord mission was strange. Maybe it's just the way I'm feeling today, but I found it to be very depressing, dark and very creepy even compared to Mass Effect standards. I mean the ending had me saying to myself
what monster would do this to someone. The poor guy is strung up with tubes down his throat, his eyes forced open and cybernetics crudely implanted all over him and he's freaking crying! That was torturous and horrifying beyond anything even Dead Space had shown!
Really too depressing.

Well, I have Shadow Broker left. Hopefully it goes back to feeling a bit more like ME2 than Overlord did.

Mindlog

McNum said:
One question, though. From the time I begin the
Reaper IFF
mission and until the end, how long is that? I think I want to do that in one go.

Mission structure spoiler:
You will want to complete at least one more mission before entering the Omega 5 relay. The final mission is also fairly lengthy.

I can't give an actual time without knowing your difficulty level and comfort with the game :] I've played so many times that I fly through the content. Literally fly through it when I'm playing Vanguard.

Darkmakaimura said:
I just finished the Kasumi and Overlord DLC. I love Kasumi! She's my new favorite female crew member along with Miranda and she has awesome abilities to boot!

The Overlord mission was strange. Maybe it's just the way I'm feeling today, but I found it to be very depressing, dark and very creepy even compared to Mass Effect standards. I mean the ending had me saying to myself
what monster would do this to someone. The poor guy is strung up with tubes down his throat, his eyes forced open and cybernetics crudely implanted all over him and he's freaking crying! That was torturous and horrifying beyond anything even Dead Space had shown!
Really too depressing.

Well, I have Shadow Broker left. Hopefully it goes back to feeling a bit more like ME2 than Overlord did.

Honestly there was a lot of stuff similar to Overlord in ME1, you just tended to wander in after the shit had totally hit the fan and all that was left to do was turn the person responsible in or shoot them on the spot.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
HadesGigas said:
Honestly there was a lot of stuff similar to Overlord in ME1, you just tended to wander in after the shit had totally hit the fan and all that was left to do was turn the person responsible in or shoot them on the spot.
I played ME1 before ME2 (my Shep is imported) and I don't remember anything quite as horrifying. :lol

Darkmakaimura said:
I played ME1 before ME2 (my Shep is imported) and I don't remember anything quite as horrifying. :lol

Yeah, i mean i guess it's worse when you're in the middle of it. But like just about every Cerberus mission in ME1 was about some horribly unethical experiment gone wrong. And of course there's Jack in 2, not exactly a happy story there.

subversus

Darkmakaimura said:
Really too depressing.

I really liked the ending. Saved the DLC. It wasn't really shocking to me but it was a bit more tense than most of today's games. That doesn't mean that it was really tense, that just means that most of modern games just pussy out of showing some serious shit to the player because this might "depress" him. Guys, there are Mario, Pokemon, Uncharted out there, go play them if you are afraid of feeling sad sometimes. Playing WRPG and not expecting be depressed from time to time sounds silly to me.

And don't ever try to play The Witcher then, just in case.

McNum

Mindlog said:
Mission structure spoiler:
You will want to complete at least one more mission before entering the Omega 5 relay. The final mission is also fairly lengthy.

I can't give an actual time without knowing your difficulty level and comfort with the game :] I've played so many times that I fly through the content. Literally fly through it when I'm playing Vanguard.
Imported Shepard, Soldier, Normal. Got the special assault rifle on the
Collector ship
. I'm an Adrenalin junkie. Hit Heightened Adrenaline Rush, break cover, unload appropriate ammo into foe, dive back in cover when Sheppard yells "Lost shields!" or when time goes back to normal. Reload while Adrenalin is recharging, or while waiting for shields. That's about my gameplan. If there's no cover, I'm even more of an Adrenalin junkie as I don't have to wait for shields. This has worked far better than it should. Probably died in combat 4-5 times total, once because
Harbinger
snuck into melee range. It's stupid, it's simple, and it works. My main problem is ammo, I'm way too happy with my assault rifle, but the new one is pretty efficient. I should probably see if I can get something defensive off Advanced Training for when cover is difficult. That's when I get in trouble, usually.

I tend to finish combat pretty fast, really. Usually with the enemies on fire. Good times. I can't believe that there's an Achievement for making people scream in pain from burning to death, though. I had that one before my second recruit. There's still a few loyalty missions to go. 4-5, I think. I'm gonna go in as team black/gold, I'll even recolor Shepard to match. Or just use the DLC armor that's already Cerberus colored.

I suppose it's easier to ask about a comparison regarding time. The Shadow Broker DLC, all of it. From
contacting Liara
all the way through
defeating the Shadow Broker
. I think that took me a couple of hours. The last push taking up half of that. Fun fight, there. Long, but fun. Good bosses, too. I wish there were more of those in the game.

Darkmakaimura said:

Really too depressing.

Yeah, the ending was telegraphed quite early on but it took the theme much further than I expected. The referencing back to the books was a nice little bonus to wrap up the story too.

Mindlog

McNum said:
I suppose it's easier to ask about a comparison regarding time. The Shadow Broker DLC, all of it. From
contacting Liara
all the way through
defeating the Shadow Broker
. I think that took me a couple of hours. The last push taking up half of that. Fun fight, there. Long, but fun. Good bosses, too. I wish there were more of those in the game.

Why didn't I think of that!?!

Anyone else that has beaten both can feel free to correct me.
From (plot timeline)
Reaper IFF
to
an achievement/trophy worthy ending
is 1.5-3 Shadow Brokers.

Grisby

Gabe Shepard has now saved the galaxy, thrice, from the reapers. Was going to stick to staying with Ash from ME1 but fell victim to Miranda this go around. I really wonder how Bioware is going to handle the relationships in ME3 considering the only relationship I could stay loyal in was my femshep/liara one.

Going to start on the DLC tomorrow. First time playing any of it so I'm kinda excited. Going to end with Shadow Broker because apparently its the bees knees.

Grisby said:
Gabe Shepard has now saved the galaxy, thrice, from the reapers. Was going to stick to staying with Ash from ME1 but fell victim to Miranda this go around. I really wonder how Bioware is going to handle the relationships in ME3 considering the only relationship I could stay loyal in was my femshep/liara one.

Going to start on the DLC tomorrow. First time playing any of it so I'm kinda excited. Going to end with Shadow Broker because apparently its the bees knees.

Well if you were doing Liara and found a new partner in ME2 it's all tied up in Shadow Broker.

They should probably do a DLC that stars Ashley/Kaiden too, though seems like they'd be a bit less understanding than Liara.

luiztfc

I just finished mass effect 1. I really liked the game but I made some regrettable choices, namely killing Wrex. I played as a Renegade and although I enjoyed being a killing machine without conscience I decided I want to play as a paragon this time.

That being said, I don't know if I should start over a new character or download an infiltrator/commando paragon with wrex alive save and import it.

Another question, how are assault rifles in ME2? In the first game, if you mastered the infiltrator class, pistols were way better.

subversus

Fistwell said:
Also GT's. What a fucking joke. Shit boring shooting, non-existent rpg mechanics... "enthralling story"?
Giant robot skull
says "what?"

What are you doing in this thread? There are currently two threads where we shit on this good game. Go stink there.

Firestorm

Grisby said:

Liara knew what I'd done with Miranda when she talked to me after Shadow Broker :( Snide jealous remarks. Made me feel like a bad person. I just wanted the achievement :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom