• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trickster

Zeliard said:
Not when the scanner has located an anomaly. I'm talking about just finding a planet that has one to begin with.

So far I've only gotten two anomalies, and both were just part of quests that told me to go to those planets. I'm trying to find one that isn't triggered by a quest.

There isn't really any way to tell which planets you can land on until you travel to them and EDI tells you she's detected something.

offtopic - character spoilers:
was anyone else terribly dissapointed with how easily Legion got to join the crew? Legion:"oh hey guys, I'm a talking geth that isnt part of the evil geth that followed sovereign, would you mind if I joined your crew?". Shepard:"sure no problem!"

MMaRsu

Solo said:
Even modelled Sheperd after him too :lol

My soul. You're hurting it :(

I am sad for it as well :(. I don't know why they just took the first game's citadel, put a new layer of paint on it, created some new stuff etc.. I mean sure there are loads of new worlds to explore, but the Citadel was awesome and should have been bigger than the first game. It's only gotten smaller though..

Zeliard said:
Anyone have any tips on hunting for anomalies on planets, or is it basically a crapshoot?
To make the scanning a bit faster, rotate the planet while scanning - in other words:

Hold LT, move both thumbsticks to the right. It will scan faster.

Do this in waves of 2-3 lines of longitude. Makes scanning planets a bit faster and efficient.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Better yet, be sure to get the scanner upgrade from miranda. Be sure to hit the poles too.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Xamdou said:
It isn't there at all, I called the Gamestop I bought it from and they said it is in digital form? So I checked the C.E Bonus disc and it isn't there either...

If you have the 360 version then it should be there, if not take it back to gamestop.

lostxii

Just noticed that if you stop to listen to people talking, Shepard turns his head towards the conversation. So many little details in this game.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
OMG Aero said:
Does Subject Zero ever wear armour?
It looks really weird seeing her on a planet where Shepard and another crew member need to wear full body suits but she's fine with just a gas mask.

Well it's not like Miranda wears anything over her tight leather suit either ..

careksims

This is the rpg of the decade til the ME3. I'm still playing it, taking my sweet time. The emotions, the scope it all. Magnificent. All the little stuff and details. They still need to work on planet exploration, but the rest is too good.

Unlike the first game, I been using a lot more powers. Love the new weapons.

Everyone loves Joker. He kicks so much ass.

Zeliard

Everyone already knew the marketing for Mass Effect 2 was terrible, but playing it you really see the disservice that was done in the ads to characters like Subject Zero and Grunt. Subject Zero, in particular, is not nearly as jarring and one-dimensional as you'd be led to believe. You might still end up disliking her, but she undoubtedly fits in just fine.

And I think Joker is a lot more amusing now than he was in the first game. Seth Green's delivery on some of those lines is superb, and he has better ones than before.

ACE 1991

Can anyone who rolled either a vanguard or sentinel comment on either class? I can't for the life of me decide between the two...

adamsapple

wait wait wait ..

holding BOTH the sticks makes the scanner go faster ?

FUCK :(

edit : ah the planet rotating .. completely misread that sentence :p

Bioware absolutely cheated me when it came to Tali. I'm pissed.

Gotta save some surprises for the final game in the trilogy too :p

Xamdou

neojubei said:
If you have the 360 version then it should be there, if not take it back to gamestop.

Sigh I was looking forward to reading it to. Going to GS right now and hope they got some extra C.E left.

Zeliard

Major Williams said:
To make the scanning a bit faster, rotate the planet while scanning - in other words:

Hold LT, move both thumbsticks to the right. It will scan faster.

Do this in waves of 2-3 lines of longitude. Makes scanning planets a bit faster and efficient.

Well, I'm using the keyboard and mouse (and I also do have the scanning upgrade).

Does finding optional anomalies require scanning, though, or does EDI tell you as soon as you orbit a planet that there's an anomaly? In the quest-triggered anomalies I've gotten, it's been the latter.

DY_nasty said:
Better yet, be sure to get the scanner upgrade from miranda. Be sure to hit the poles too.

When do you get the upgraded scanner? I ask because I have been going around scanning planets as much as possbile but if you get the scanner fairly early, I'd rather wait till then.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I like the loyalty quests. They are much better than Mass Effect's 1 crap quests.
Subject Zero, in particular, is not nearly as jarring and one-dimensional as you'd be led to believe. You might still end up disliking her, but she undoubtedly fits in just fine.

I'm sorry, she's just too ugly. I liked her loyalty quest and she's a nice character, but it's like looking at a tattooed James Carville. Can't do it.

DY_nasty

ACE 1991 said:
Can anyone who rolled either a vanguard or sentinel comment on either class? I can't for the life of me decide between the two...
Can't say anything about Sentinel, but Vanguard is soooooo much more fun to play than Infiltrator.

Dashing 30 meters to send a guy flying then slowing down all the guys around you... zomg. Fighting bosses is pretty challenging though. I haven't run into the point where I have to choose between an additional weapon proficiency or the super weapon of my own class, but right now I'm really considering jumping at the chance to get Assault Rifles.

Nothing tops a sniper rifle in a boss fight. I was dropping Harbingers in one shot with the Widow. I don't even know if they're supposed to be hard :lol

Note: I also got to start my new character with Reave since I beat the game already and got to keep all my party's additional skills :D REAVE IS GODHAND.

DY_nasty

slasher_thrasher21 said:
When do you get the upgraded scanner? I ask because I have been going around scanning planets as much as possbile but if you get the scanner fairly early, I'd rather wait till then.
Have you got Mordin yet? Get him then you'll be able to take advantage of all those upgrades you've found so far as well as get upgrades from your squad via dialogue on the Normandy.

Ducarmel

Trickster said:
offtopic - character spoilers:
was anyone else terribly dissapointed with how easily Legion got to join the crew? Legion:"oh hey guys, I'm a talking geth that isnt part of the evil geth that followed sovereign, would you mind if I joined your crew?". Shepard:"sure no problem!"
The Quarians have no hard objections when you bring him along in
Tali's
quest, despite being the faction that took their home world.

DY_nasty said:
Have you got Mordin yet? Get him then you'll be able to take advantage of all those upgrades you've found so far as well as get upgrades from your squad via dialogue on the Normandy.

Just got him last night before turning it off. Awesome, thanks.

DY_nasty

Ducarmel said:
The Quarians have no hard objections when you bring him along in
Tali's
quest, despite being the faction that took their home world.
I took
Garrus
into the Quarantine Zone on Omega. :lol

Swag

Thank god for the ability to restart loyalty missions, I completely failed Thane's and didn't get his loyalty power. Scared the shit out of em :lol

I have to say that I really enjoy the new methods of decrypting and hacking much better than the version from the first game. That stuff got old fast in the original, and it definitely seems much improved here.

Sebulon3k said:
Thank god for the ability to restart loyalty missions, I completely failed Thane's and didn't get his loyalty power. Scared the shit out of em :lol

Have not gotten this far but does the game just prompt you for a restart if you loose then?

Zeliard

Y2Kev said:
I like the loyalty quests. They are much better than Mass Effect's 1 crap quests.

Mordin's is great.

Y2Kev said:
I'm sorry, she's just too ugly. I liked her loyalty quest and she's a nice character, but it's like looking at a tattooed James Carville. Can't do it.

There's still that Miranda chick to ogle at, who's modeled after a living goddess. :)

Jinjo

Sweet, just found another site that had the CE and if you ordered it before 22:00 you would get it the next day guaranteed. So I'm crossing my fingers and hopefully I will be playing this tomorrow. :D

DY_nasty

Question about Jack's loyalty power, Warp Ammo. Is it the best ammo upgrade in the game? I want to say yes, but I don't know...

Also, can someone tell my why Cryo Ammo is supposed to be so good?

Einbroch

Banned
ACE 1991 said:
I actually rolled both.

If you're playing on Veteran or below, Vanguard is crazy fun. The charge is badass and makes for some really entertaining moments. Cryo Ammo is also very, very good on these difficulties.

If you're on Insanity, do not go with the Vanguard. Sentinel is much better on this difficulty due to the fact that Charge will get you killed almost instantly on Insanity. The shield saves you so many times that you'll wonder if you could ever win without it.

DY_nasty said:
Question about Jack's loyalty power, Warp Ammo. Is it the best ammo upgrade in the game? I want to say yes, but I don't know...

Warp Ammo, in my opinion, is the best ammo in the game when it's fully upgraded. Armor Piercing Rounds are the best if you can't afford to max Warp Ammo.

Cryo Ammo is amazing on Veteran and below, since few enemies have shield/armor. Pair it with an SMG and it's a deadly combo.

DY_nasty

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Have not gotten this far but does the game just prompt you for a restart if you loose then?
No, you can restart any current mission from the Save screen though. Even some that you've just beaten.

DY_nasty said:
No, you can restart any current mission from the Save screen though. Even some that you've just beaten.
What about older loyalty missions? Asked this before but how the fuck do you get someone loyal again even if you've completed their mission?

Alucrid

Banned
I finally have this game. I took a 35 minute train ride home, had to walk 30 minutes to get to my house since no one could pick me up, got the game, walked back another 30 minutes, waited another 20 for the train and then another 35 minute train ride. This game better be that good. :lol

adamsapple

DY_nasty said:

I will say it most definitely is .. fully upgraded it does 50% additional damage to ALL barriers and the regular health bar.

DY_nasty

DevelopmentArrested said:
What about older loyalty missions? Asked this before but how the fuck do you get someone loyal again even if you've completed their mission?
Uh... not replay, but restart. Its not archived or anything either. I'm pretty sure its only for the last mission that you did - and you can only access it for a short time too.

Cetra

So how do you get in to see
the council?
Every time I try to go to the Presidium I end up in
Anderson's office
and can't go anywhere else.

ACE 1991

DY_nasty said:
Can't say anything about Sentinel, but Vanguard is soooooo much more fun to play than Infiltrator.

Dashing 30 meters to send a guy flying then slowing down all the guys around you... zomg. Fighting bosses is pretty challenging though. I haven't run into the point where I have to choose between an additional weapon proficiency or the super weapon of my own class, but right now I'm really considering jumping at the chance to get Assault Rifles.

Nothing tops a sniper rifle in a boss fight. I was dropping Harbingers in one shot with the Widow. I don't even know if they're supposed to be hard :lol

Note: I also got to start my new character with Reave since I beat the game already and got to keep all my party's additional skills :D REAVE IS GODHAND.

Wow man! Did you have a press copy or something?

adamsapple

tehWillis said:
So how do you get in to see
the council?
Every time I try to go to the Presidium I end up in
Anderson's office
and can't go anywhere else.

That's about it unfortunately.

DY_nasty

ACE 1991 said:
Wow man! Did you have a press copy or something?
Work at Blockbuster, got it Friday morning. Played it nonstop until Monday afternoon. Picked it up again at midnight. Best weekend of my gaming life.

Asari v Asari fights are badass btw.

DY_nasty

Major Williams said:
Do I have to complete a mission before I can buy the scanner upgrade from Miranda? What level/part of the story do you have to be in?
Get Mordin, talk to Miranda on the Normandy. You can get it fairly early in the game...

adamsapple

MacBosse said:
So if I start a new character for Mass Effect 2, do I (and if so, what choices) set the choices I've made in the first game?

When you start a new game the game lists some of the choices that it makes for you .. other than that you can still set your back story (sole survivor, earth born) etc I think.

some big choices that are made for you are ..

- Wrex dies
- Udina is on the council
- Humans control the council (Shepard let them die)
- Kaiden died if you're a male Shep, Ash dies if you're a fem Shep.

and some other stuff.

Alucrid said:
I finally have this game. I took a 35 minute train ride home, had to walk 30 minutes to get to my house since no one could pick me up, got the game, walked back another 30 minutes, waited another 20 for the train and then another 35 minute train ride. This game better be that good. :lol
Sounds faster than an elevator ride in Mass Effect 1.

Dennis

Banned
For those of you with fancy new ATI 58xx cards, you may want to see if you can get playable framerates with 24x Edge-detect AA (set in CCC) because holy shit does it look good :lol

Not quite playable for me though...getting about 20 fps with a 4870x2, and that is too low for ME 2.

chandoog said:
When you start a new game the game lists some of the choices that it makes for you .. other than that you can still set your back story (sole survivor, earth born) etc I think.

- Wrex dies
- Kaiden died if you're a male Shep, Ash dies if you're a fem Shep.

and some other stuff.

Not so much, I think this is set when they're pop quizzing you after the introductory combat area. I've chosen differently and had it change who was in charge.

Pimpbaa

chandoog said:

- Wrex dies

Yeah, this is what I found so lame. It's like asshole Shepard is supposed to be cannon. I mean if if you let the council die, what person playing ME1 would pick Udina?! Stupid stupid choices.

Einbroch

Banned
corrosivefrost said:
Not so much, I think this is set when they're pop quizzing you after the introductory combat area. I've chosen differently and had it change who was in charge.
Nope. If you have not imported a save, they don't even ask you. It's Udina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom