• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO people are making waaaay to big a deal over little messages and the missions screens and such.

I guess it's a testament to how good the game is, if such little things have become a focal point.

People are complaining about a mission complete screen!??

*eyes roll out of head*

I'm not saying they aren't valid complaints. But it's just funny seeing people doing little reviews of the game and spend more time talking about such small aspects of the game than they do some of the massive improvements.

Gamers in general are overly negative IMO, for some reason I've never been able to identify.

Zeliard

I like the mission complete screen. It offers a useful little summary of what transpired. I can see how people would find it out-of-place, though. You're used to navigating menus in RPGs, but a mission/quest complete screen of this sort is unusual in the genre.

Jamesfrom818 said:
Shopping is hilarious. Shep just starts demanding discounts.

I love it when his reasoning basically amounts to "I saved all of your asses." You can abuse Shepard's war hero status through the Renegade options quite often. It's great fun.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
gregor7777 said:
IMO people are making waaaay to big a deal over little messages and the missions screens and such.

I guess it's a testament to how good the game is, if such little things have become a focal point.
That's very true. The game is great.

Its honestly just an annoyance, but I am principally opposed to it from a design perspective. I think it's in really bad taste.

LosDaddie

Banned
CloakedPuppet said:
People are complaining about a mission complete screen!??

*eyes roll out of head*

thisisneogaf.gif

I haven't played the game yet, but I'd be surprised if this screen was a problem for me.

BobsRevenge said:
That's very true. The game is great.

Its honestly just an annoyance, but I am principally opposed to it from a design perspective.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at and didn't mean to point you out in particular.

TheExodu5

Banned
hednik4am said:
I have only ever owned a Sony console for my entire gaming life... 15 years... i really think this game might make it a console seller for me. Is it really easy to just pick up and play and not have to play the previous games ? Really on the fence here and moreso than any other game has it pushed me to get a backup console.

Yeah you can skip the first. Just Wikipedia the story so you know the ending.

I don't think the first game is that good anyways. Played it through for the first time last week and I was not impressed at all. The sequel, however, is my first GOTY candidate. The combat is 100x better, the dialogue is better, visuals are better, pacing is better...everything is better.

LosDaddie

Banned
hednik4am said:
I have only ever owned a Sony console for my entire gaming life... 15 years... i really think this game might make it a console seller for me. Is it really easy to just pick up and play and not have to play the previous games ? Really on the fence here and moreso than any other game has it pushed me to get a backup console.

ME1 should cost no more than $20 right now. So I would get it.

Sean P.

How much does adding AA affect framerate?

Is it possible with nvidia cards or does it work normally with it? That part confuses me.

Bloodsent

LosDaddie said:
thisisneogaf.gif

I haven't played the game yet, but I'd be surprised if this screen was a problem for me.

Little things like this don't bother me, but sometimes people complain about things they might not normally complain about in the interest of furthering a conversation....

TheExodu5

Banned
Sean P. said:

Is it possible with nvidia cards or does it work normally with it? That part confuses me.

You need nhancer to do it. With my GTX 275, I see no framedrops whatsoever. I thought that was kind of odd...but I'll take it. :D

Has anyone noticed that the conversation wheel thing is a little buggy? Sometimes, responses get switched around if you go through every conversation pathway.

Baker

Banned
Sean P. said:

With my 5850:

8x AA 16x AF around 20-25fps
4x AA 16x AF solid 50fps (looks like real time cutscenes are locked at 30 though unless it's a coincidence)

* I messed around with that crap during the intro so the 8x number probably is lower than during the normal game.

With an nvidia card, you need nhancer. There are 100 posts in this thread about what setting to use, I can't remember off the top of my head.

LosDaddie

Banned
Bloodsent said:
Little things like this don't bother me, but sometimes people complain about things they might not normally complain about in the interest of furthering a conversation....

You have more faith in humanity than I do.

suzu

nataku said:
Female Shepard romance options suck in ME2.

I hated Kaiden and Liara was annoying, so I'm okay with ME2 female Shepard's choices. Also fangirls have been wanting to hit that alien butt since ME1. :lol

I am curious to see what females of the other races look like. They should include them in ME3. :p

stupei

Bloodsent said:
I agree with this, although I don't know if the intention was to make it so. I can understand if they want to make your encounters with your crew 2 years later seem stressful, but it felt during my playthrough that they almost went out of their way to make me dislike Liara.

I just found it strange that there isn't a single conversation path so far to even acknowledge their relationship. There are small nods to it, of course, but it was weird to have my Shepard treating Liara about the same as she treated any other former crew member, considering they'd slept together.

notworksafe

I asked before, but I think it just got lost in the massive amount of posts (a testament to how badass this game is!).

Is there a way to cap framerate on ME2 through ini files like you could with the first game? I tried looking for BioEngine.ini but I couldn't find it.

Just wondering cause I've been playing on my laptop and sometimes the framerate can be all over the place.

Baker

Banned
Keikoku said:
Is it possible to enable AA with an ATI card ?
1. Go to your Mass Effect folder
2. Binaries folder
3. Make a copy of MassEffect2.exe
4. Rename the copy to UT3.exe

5. Open up Catalyst Control Center
6. Go to 3D
7. Uncheck the "application control" boxes for AA and AF
8. Move the sliders to whatever your pc can handle

9. Launch the game using UT3.exe

Solo

ElectricBlue187 said:
I love the music in this game. So far they've improved every single complaint I had for the first game. This is damn near perfect

The music is pretty much the only thing in ME2 inferior to ME1. Everything else is light years better.

Baker said:
1. Go to your Mass Effect folder
2. Binaries folder
3. Make a copy of MassEffect2.exe
4. Rename the copy to UT3.exe

5. Open up Catalyst Control Center
6. Go to 3D
7. Uncheck the "application control" boxes for AA and AF
8. Move the sliders to whatever your pc can handle

9. Launch the game using UT3.exe

Is it that easy with the Steam version?

notworksafe

Baker said:
With an nvidia card, you need nhancer. There are 100 posts in this thread about what setting to use, I can't remember off the top of my head.

Yep. Use nHancer, add the ME2 exe and launcher to the Mass Effect profile and enable AA. AA Compatibility mode 00000145 works the best.

Still struggling to get AA to work with my ATI card. I managed to get ATI Tray Tools to run on my machine after signing the unofficial drivers in test mode, etc. I know this is just a theoretical way to run ME2 in AA, and so far it isn't working. Do I need to uninstall the CCC or something for ATI Tray Tools to take effect? Or if it was going to work, it would have already?

Baker

Banned
gregor7777 said:
Is it that easy with the Steam version?
No clue, I have the retail. I noticed some people saying Steam doesn't like you renaming the .exe so I have no idea what the work-around is there.

Solo

MMaRsu said:
Too bad I can't go back to all the clubs and stuff from the first game, in the citadel I mean.

Whhhhhhhhhhhhaaaat? I havent hit the Citadel yet, but they've removed the clubs? Can you even go down into the wards?

:(

Solo said:
Whhhhhhhhhhhhaaaat? I havent hit the Citadel yet, but they've removed the clubs? Can you even go down into the wards?

You can go to a different ward. You can still sit in front of an asari stripper and dance with random people.

Himuro said:
Agreed. The music is now generic videogames-trying-to-be-a-movie-soundtrack instead of a soundtrack filled with great sounding tunes that make you wanna rock it out.

I haven't gotten far, but all I know is that the music during your first meeting with the
Illusive Man
was fuckawesome. Furthermore, the music when you land on
the first human colony you are investigating
it sounds straight out of Alien.

Bloodsent

stupei said:
I just found it strange that there isn't a single conversation path so far to even acknowledge their relationship. There are small nods to it, of course, but it was weird to have my Shepard treating Liara about the same as she treated any other former crew member, considering they'd slept together.

There was some initial affection when they greeted each other, but you are right, nothing after that. Disappointing.

LosDaddie

Banned
What story arc are you guys playing first? Second?

I always play the Good Side first as a male. And the Evil Side second as a female.

hulot

Jamesfrom818 said:
Has anyone noticed that the conversation wheel thing is a little buggy? Sometimes, responses get switched around if you go through every conversation pathway.
It was like this in the first game so I'm guessing it's by design. Not sure if I'm a fan though.

Solo said:

It's a new Citadel ward with a new club. Afterlife is my favorite so far.

Bloodsent said:
There was some initial affection when they greeted each other, but you are right, nothing after that. Disappointing.
My male Shep had a strained reunion with Ashley. Then she sent me an email, differences and all that, Alliance vs. Cerberus. I thought it was well done. Maybe it's just a Liara thing?

Baker

Banned
LosDaddie said:
What story arc are you guys playing first? Second?

I always play the Good Side first as a male. And the Evil Side second as a female.
I play as "myself." It kinds of ruins second playthroughs, but I get the most enjoyment out of it.

* I am excessively nicer to the women characters than I would be in real life though. :lol I don't want to miss out any silly crush side plots.

Mindlog

Speaking only of ME1 'romances' in ME2 and the captain's room in ME2.

Is the picture on the desk the romance from ME1 or just a friend pic type deal? The ME1 save I'm using first was from 2008.

I'm being pragmatic Sheppard again. Mostly paragon, but when it's fun to be a prick you can call me, Richard.

BobsRevenge said:
It feels really regressive. A lot of the game does. They focus to much on accessibility and gamey-ness, and it comes at the cost of immersion. All that superfluous information is bad design, imo. Of course, the gameplay also has similar issues.

Keep in mind that I'm one of those people that LOVED Far Cry 2.
Far Cry 2 was severely flawed and they could have pushed the game design further (like having people who don't kill you on sight, not always respawning people at checkpoints, more civilians) but I also loved it for pushing the FPS genre in a grander direction. I'm sure there are other games that I haven't played that do that (Deus Ex, STALKER) but Far Cry 2 is the one that sticks in my mind.

gregor7777 said:
I'm not saying they aren't valid complaints. But it's just funny seeing people doing little reviews of the game and spend more time talking about such small aspects of the game than they do some of the massive improvements.

Gamers in general are overly negative IMO, for some reason I've never been able to identify.
I could list out all the things Mass Effect 2 does good but that would take 5 pages :). The stuff that irks me about ME2 is stuff that wasn't broken in the first game. If they didn't change those things, this game would easily be a 98% or 99% for me (and I am not the type of person who gives 90%+ to every good game out there either)

Solo

Jamesfrom818 said:
You can go to a different ward. You can still sit in front of an asari stripper and dance with random people.

Fears quelled :lol

Himuro said:
Neutral, as usual.

Hard renegade, as usual. If I can kill you, slap you, demean you, belittle you, or make you uncomfortable in any way, I, Locke Sheperd, will do it.

Pimpbaa

Man I miss the Mako. This scanning planets is bullcrap. I also wish I had a ME1 save because the default outcome of the last game is terrible. Still loving the game though. I just hope I'm not screwing up my romance chances with Miranda :lol
she seemed to disapprove my choices when I "rescued" Jack

Mindlog

Himuro said:
The photo on my desk in my room is of Ashley, my romance in ME1.

Thank you, sounds like it is the romance character (which makes sense of course.)

I've liked all the character I've encountered so far. I'm still early in the game.

The way the air car traffic is better handled in this game and all of the first area
Afterlife
really chubbed up my Blade Runner boner.

Jamesfrom818 said:
I think they randomize it now so that you have to think about your choices. One of the changes in ME2 I like a lot because conversations would become robotic in ME1 if you were trying to be 100% one way or the other.

mYm|17|

Solo said:
Fears quelled :lol

Hard renegade, as usual. If I can kill you, slap you, demean you, belittle you, or make you uncomfortable in any way, I, Locke Sheperd, will do it.
oh yea, that's how my Shep rolls too :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom