• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doytch

DennisK4 said:
For those of you with fancy new ATI 58xx cards, you may want to see if you can get playable framerates with 24x Edge-detect AA (set in CCC) because holy shit does it look good :lol

Not quite playable for me though...getting about 20 fps with a 4870x2, and that is too low for ME 2.
Retail copy?

shuri

Banned
I'm really letdown by the fact that importing a character is pretty much just a cosmetic thing. What a huge letdown for me.. we could had at least carried some stats over..

Pimpbaa

This thread is pretty large so please don't shoot me but are there lesbian romance options for female shep? Thinking about what to do on my 2nd playthrough.

JDS 1977

Banned
I just ordered the collectors guide book off amazon and I don't even have the game yet. Backlog too big but couldn't pass up the great deal on it.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
DennisK4 said:
Yes - I don't think anyone has found the solution to enabling AA on ATI cards with a Steam version, yet.
I'm wondering why they made it so difficult in the first place. What the hell? Is there a point?

MMaRsu

Pimpbaa said:
Yeah, this is what I found so lame. It's like asshole Shepard is supposed to be cannon. I mean if if you let the council die, what person playing ME1 would pick Udina?! Stupid stupid choices.

So true, who the hell would pick Udina anyway

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
DevelopmentArrested said:
What about older loyalty missions? Asked this before but how the fuck do you get someone loyal again even if you've completed their mission?
why do they lose loyalty?

Baker

Banned
DennisK4 said:
For those of you with fancy new ATI 58xx cards, you may want to see if you can get playable framerates with 24x Edge-detect AA (set in CCC) because holy shit does it look good :lol

Not quite playable for me though...getting about 20 fps with a 4870x2, and that is too low for ME 2.
I still don't see where you're finding anything higher than 8x in CCC. Does it change depending on what filter you use? I just left mine on 'box.'

Einbroch said:
Nope. If you have not imported a save, they don't even ask you. It's Udina.

Not on my copy of ME2.

Minor side story spoilers.
End of my Mass Effect game, I nominated Anderson.
ME2 game #1, imported character level 49, remembered "Anderson" during pop quiz after escaping Cerberus facility, and when I got to the Citadel and spoke to Anderson, he was in council attire and put Udina in his place.
ME2 game #2, imported ME2 level 26 character, remembered "Udina" during pop quiz after escaping Cerberus facility (I wanted to see if it told me I was wrong and if anything happened), and when I got to the Citadel and spoke to Anderson, Udina showed up threatening to fire Anderson.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
shuri said:
I'm really letdown by the fact that importing a character is pretty much just a cosmetic thing. What a huge letdown for me.. we could had at least carried some stats over..
uh.... i started at level 5 with arab money + tons of resources

Dennis

Banned
Baker said:
I still don't see where you're finding anything higher than 8x in CCC. Does it change depending on what filter you use? I just left mine on 'box.'
huh? What driver version are you using? And what is your card?

For Box AA I can do up to 16xAA and Edge-detect AA up to 24xAA. I just push the slider all the way to the right. This is with the 9.12 driver and a 4870x2

DY_nasty

Y2Kev said:
why do they lose loyalty?
No.

You can restart a mission if you think you missed something or if you wanted to handle something differently.

Baker

Banned
DennisK4 said:
huh? What driver version are you using? And what is your card?

For Box AA I can do up to 16xAA and Edge-detect AA up to 24xAA. I just push the slider all the way to the right. This is with the 9.12 driver and a 4870x2
I'm at work so I can't say exactly what driver I have. However, I know it's the newest since I just d/led it last week.

I have a 5850 and the slider only goes to 8x. Maybe your x2 setup lets you double it.

DY_nasty said:
uh.... i started at level 5 with arab money + tons of resources

What he's getting at, is other than some creds, some dialogue persuasion ability (paragon/renegade points), and a couple level jump (2-3-5) depending on your previous level (<=50/<=60/60), there's no real weight to the carry over. You don't start with all your awesome equipment, you don't start with any of the awesome abilities you honed, you still basically start from scratch, unless you're level 60... even the 1-2 level jump you get from character imports below level 60 doesn't do much.

Zeliard

corrosivefrost said:
Not on my copy of ME2.

Minor side story spoilers.
End of my Mass Effect game, I nominated Anderson.
ME2 game #1, imported character level 49, remembered "Anderson" during pop quiz after escaping Cerberus facility, and when I got to the Citadel and spoke to Anderson, he was in council attire and put Udina in his place.
ME2 game #2, imported ME2 level 26 character, remembered "Udina" during pop quiz after escaping Cerberus facility (I wanted to see if it told me I was wrong and if anything happened), and when I got to the Citadel and spoke to Anderson, Udina showed up threatening to fire Anderson.

When you don't import, you're not given the option to change a single thing.

DY_nasty

corrosivefrost said:
What he's getting at, is other than some creds, some dialogue persuasion ability (paragon/renegade points), and a couple level jump (2-3-5) depending on your previous level (<=50/<=60/60), there's no real weight to the carry over. You don't start with all your awesome equipment, you don't start with any of the awesome abilities you honed, you still basically start from scratch, unless you're level 60... even the 1-2 level jump you get from character imports below level 60 doesn't do much.
Ah.

Well I really don't see how they could do much more than that without breaking the game for you.

For anyone who's seen the collectors enough, especially the General:

It really bugged me that the collectors looked a lot like the aliens from independence day. :(

DY_nasty

corrosivefrost said:
For anyone who's seen the collectors enough, especially the General:

It really bugged me that the collectors looked a lot like the aliens from independence day. :(
I don't see it. They do look ripped, but not ripped from that.

Zeliard

Importing is mostly meant to highlight your decision-making from the first game, not your abilities and skills. You start over when it comes to that stuff.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
BobsRevenge said:
I'm wondering why they made it so difficult in the first place. What the hell? Is there a point?
It's because UE3 doesn't support AA natively IIRC.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Zeliard said:
Importing is mostly meant to highlight your decision-making from the first game, not your abilities and skills. You start over when it comes to that stuff.

Gaining 5 levels off the bat isn't half bad either .. you get a good amount of points to allocate.

Zeliard said:
This. Bonus levels don't matter. But its nice to see all the references and mentions of the first game. Which really makes me wonder, what happens to all that stuff if you don't import a save.

corrosivefrost said:

Well, yeah but
you've been on a slab for two years and your ship is dust. Where exactly were you supposed to be keeping that stuff?

As far as abilities go, doesn't the level jump come with points to spend?

Zeliard said:
I just cared about the pretty face of my FemShep, so importing worked like a charm in that respect.

DY_nasty said:
Ah.

Well I really don't see how they could do much more than that without breaking the game for you.

I don't know how biotics/engineers carry over or whatever, since I use a soldier, but they could have done something like "you can keep whatever abilities you may have unlocked". But they seem to have stripped down the number of abilities the characters have, so in many cases, this just doesn't work.

For example... if singularity required something like level 2 pull and level 3 push and level 2 warp previously, but you learned it, you could still know singularity when you import, just have it knocked down to the base level.

I'm just thinking out loud about how to satisfy the other guy... I don't really care myself either way...

If I'm nitpicking it, I'd rather have felt my choices in the first had more weight. It seems like most of the choices don't heavily impact the story, save maybe your choice with Wrex... and as I noticed this, I felt like my choices wouldn't heavily affect ME3 either... that it's mainly just a "hey, isn't it neat that I did this and they remember?"...

Bloodsent

Zeliard said:

It will be interesting to see how they handle character customization in the third game, as they had a plot specific reason for doing it this time around.

DY_nasty

chandoog said:
Gaining 5 levels off the bat isn't half bad either .. you get a good amount of points to allocate.
Yeah, only being 4 points away from getting Pull Field is an awesome boost.

Pull Field + Snipers = Mob B' Gone

So far the hardest enemies for me have been Husks though... They were just fodder in ME1, now they're the Zerg Rush right before your eyes.

corrosivefrost said:
If I'm nitpicking it, I'd rather have felt my choices in the first had more weight. It seems like most of the choices don't heavily impact the story, save maybe your choice with Wrex... and as I noticed this, I felt like my choices wouldn't heavily affect ME3 either... that it's mainly just a "hey, isn't it neat that I did this and they remember?"...

So wait, both endings to ME1 council-wise leave a fully Human-Driven Alliance?

BobsRevenge said:
I forced AA in ME without a hitch. 4xSSAA. ME looks better than ME2 on my computer right now.
Well this is either a blatant lie or you didn't turn up the settings in ME2.
BenjaminBirdie said:
No, if you saved the council they still get to be the love-able assholes that jerked you around all the time.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I'm a couple hours in and while I'm enjoying the game, I have to say I'm very disappointed that many of the RPG elements have been removed. The combat was much more fun in the original game.

DY_nasty

BenjaminBirdie said:
No.

You save the Council - YOU SAVED THE COUNCIL

You didn't = You didn't.

The default in ME2 (no import) means that you did not save the council.
Ysiadmihi said:
I'm a couple hours in and while I'm enjoying the game, I have to say I'm very disappointed that many of the RPG elements have been removed. The combat was much more fun in the original game.
I disagree. The combat in ME2 is on an entirely different level than the first.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Lostconfused said:
Well this is either a blatant lie or you didn't turn up the settings in ME2.
Jaggies are so annoying bro.

On a side-note: They really didn't pay attention to the PC with this game. At least they put a little bit of effort into the first one. If you were designing the interface for the PC, none of this shit would make sense beyond a few of the basics.

WaltJay

Alucrid said:
Has anyone gotten their Inferno Armor code from Amazon yet?

I emailed them and got the "if it hasn't arrived by Feb. 10th, let us know" response. I guess they have a 7 day window to send the code.

BobsRevenge said:
Jaggies are so annoying bro.

On a side-note: They really didn't pay attention to the PC with this game. At least they put a little bit of effort into the first one. If you were designing the interface for the PC, none of this shit would make sense beyond a few of the basics.

I guess I am just more likely to notice shitty ass textures than jaggies. Maybe you just have really weird standards. The PC version of ME2 is several times better than the shitty port of the first game.
Ysiadmihi said:
Exactly, it's much worse. All strategy has been removed from battles and it feels like a Gears clone now.
You didn't need strategy in the first game either.

Baker

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
If you were designing the interface for the PC, none of this shit would make sense beyond a few of the basics.
I agree with you on that one. The pop-up for weapon swapping and skills is flat out dumb.

I would much rather them have just stole the console circle (unless they changed it there too for ME2).

Salz01

WaltJay said:
I emailed them and got the "if it hasn't arrived by Feb. 10th, let us know" response. I guess they have a 7 day window to send the code.
Doh!

They are quick though at spamming me with other videogames that would interest me since I bought this...

DY_nasty

Ysiadmihi said:
Exactly, it's much worse. All strategy has been removed from battles and it feels like a Gears clone now.
All strategy has been removed? wat? There was strategy in the first ME?

How far into the game are you? Aside from the first area outside of the opening sequence, the combat is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom