• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

Patryn said:
No. Buy ME1 on 360, play that, import character into ME2 360. Ta-da!

I have a mass effect 1 save on my 360 but it never imports (wont show up on the list of game saves) and I played maybe 2 hours of ME2 on 360 but I am wondering if the graphics are any better on ps3??

InertiaXr

I got ME2 in the Summer Steam Sale and am wondering how to activate/download all the extra shit I am suppose to get. I logged into the Cerberus Network thing with what I think is the same account I have for the DA:O Ultimate Edition and all of it's fucking 25 pieces of DLC, then the main menu changes to some slow scrolling 4 lines of 'news'. Another option came onto the main menu, 'new content available', which clicking that takes me out of the game and has me login again on the Bioware site. After logging in, it redirects automatically to a 'Bioware Checkout' with some stupid digital comic automatically in my cart, and of course I have 0 'Bioware Points'. huh?

All I want to do is download the free stuff that I was suppose to get for buying a new copy of the game. Why do I have to give a throwaway email address to a company for 2 games? (DA and ME2) Why can't I download this stuff in-game, without redirecting to a website in my browser that doesn't even actually do anything, and tries to immediately push some comic on me. Why do I have to come post on a message board to get a game to work?

I paid a full $60 for the original Mass Effect on the 360 and had a pretty good time regardless of the seemingly unlimited technical problems. I paid $6.80 or something for this on Steam and am having a horrible experience so far.

I'm probably going to just start the game without downloading the free stuff, as it probably sucks anyways, and maybe get it to work later. Seems like this company is really regressing recently, unanimous disgust at Dragon Age 2 and now I am experiencing this.

Joe Molotov

InertiaXr said:
I got ME2 in the Summer Steam Sale and am wondering how to activate/download all the extra shit I am suppose to get. I logged into the Cerberus Network thing with what I think is the same account I have for the DA:O Ultimate Edition and all of it's fucking 25 pieces of DLC, then the main menu changes to some slow scrolling 4 lines of 'news'. Another option came onto the main menu, 'new content available', which clicking that takes me out of the game and has me login again on the Bioware site. After logging in, it redirects automatically to a 'Bioware Checkout' with some stupid digital comic automatically in my cart, and of course I have 0 'Bioware Points'. huh?

All I want to do is download the free stuff that I was suppose to get for buying a new copy of the game. Why do I have to give a throwaway email address to a company for 2 games? (DA and ME2) Why can't I download this stuff in-game, without redirecting to a website in my browser that doesn't even actually do anything, and tries to immediately push some comic on me. Why do I have to come post on a message board to get a game to work?

I paid a full $60 for the original Mass Effect on the 360 and had a pretty good time regardless of the seemingly unlimited technical problems. I paid $6.80 or something for this on Steam and am having a horrible experience so far.

I'm probably going to just start the game without downloading the free stuff, as it probably sucks anyways, and maybe get it to work later. Seems like this company is really regressing recently, unanimous disgust at Dragon Age 2 and now I am experiencing this.

You have to go here: http://social.bioware.com

Create an account if you don't have one already, then register your game. Then go to your Registered Game Content and download and install all the Mass Effect 2 files (there's around 1GB worth).

InertiaXr

Joe Molotov said:
You have to go here: http://social.bioware.com

Create an account if you don't have one already, then register your game. Then go to your Registered Game Content and download and install all the Mass Effect 2 files (there's around 1GB worth).

Thank you, no idea why it didn't do this in-game or at least redirect me to the website to do all this.

Oh man, I have to download every Cerberus Network thing seperately and run all these .exes? oh Bioware

Edit: and so it begins, a Ruthless Colonist Infiltrator with the default male Shepard.

Replicant

Dipswitch said:
I honestly can't remember if I did any mission after opening the Omega 3 relay or not. How do you tell if you've only saved half the crew or all of them?
I'd like to know this too. I went right away after they got abducted but I saw some empty seats in my ship later on. Kelly, Chakwas, the guy who helped joker plus his female companion, the chef and the two engineers are alive though. It's the empty console seats that bothers me. I can't remember if they were empty before the abduction or not.

Vinlaen

Can anybody recommend any texture (face) mods for the female shepard?

I'm going to reply the game and I'd like to mod it (just a tiny bit).

Also, are there any full game texture mods to increase the resolution/quality that are worth using?

Celios

Neo Member
Replicant said:
I'd like to know this too. I went right away after they got abducted but I saw some empty seats in my ship later on. Kelly, Chakwas, the guy who helped joker plus his female companion, the chef and the two engineers are alive though. It's the empty console seats that bothers me. I can't remember if they were empty before the abduction or not.
I'm pretty sure that if Kelly is alive, then you saved as many people as possible. Some seats will still be empty because people get killed when the ship is boarded.

Replicant

Celios said:
I'm pretty sure that if Kelly is alive, then you saved as many people as possible. Some seats will still be empty because people get killed when the ship is boarded.

:(

I feel like a failure even though it's not really my fault.

Finally got the 6 data package trophy last night. My God, that part was a nightmare. I'd never want to play with the Hammerhead again in the 3rd game. Fucking annoying turrets are actually harder to kill than the average living enemies.

ampere

So holy crap, just beat Overlord DLC, and beat Shadow Broker and Kasumi the other day.

Expensive, but worth it. I wish I had known about the recent sale. I'm just going to spoiler tag all my thoughts below, the links are spoilers too:

Shadow Broker
Very interesting. An evil asari spectre, I didn't realize she was against us at first.
And WOW at the Shadow Broker o.o I was expecting him to be a small alien inside a robot suit or something.
Interesting how he killed another 60 years back and hardly anyone knew, and now Liara has done the same.
It's awesome how I could read information on all my squad members and the Illusive Man's... female conquests. :lol

Overlord
One small thing, I guess the Firewalker pack is required for this DLC?
I can't see how it would have worked otherwise. I think I got Firewalker free with Cerberus network, but I guess that means that anyone who bought this used would have to buy Cerberus network to use the other DLC? Hm.

As for the mission? Awesome plot. Rogue VI had me very interested, I was shocked to discover a human was merged with it. And even more shocked to find out he was autistic.
Seems like a horrible idea to put a savant with socializing issues in control of a VI to talk to geth... not sure what was going through Archer's head.
Very shocking to see David's condition at the end... horrible horrible injustice. I guess Cerberus projects going this way are what gives them that bad rep. Not necessarily the Illusive Man's fault in this case, he seemed to have put pressure down, but Archer decided that the lives of his workers were worth sacrificing.
Evil guy. I didn't shoot him at the end, but damn was I tempted.

Kasumi
Not a whole lot to say, she's a really interesting character. The non-fighting part of the mission was really neat, and I LOVED seeing the old and broken relics of the Earth :lol
I took pictures :3
And one nitpick, the David is WAY bigger in person. :p
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/596943197182961337/4CC3C16B612D0065B1E6510D917021DD9A72EF1D/
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/596943197182964963/46B3E1E39385E6FFDDD8C52A0D21908B81CFAFAB/
I don't really like using Kasumi in combat because she dies often when using her close range backstab. Sort of a bummer, oh well.

I'm thinking about getting Arrival to see Admiral Hackett, but I dunno. Eatchildren and some other GAFers seem to consider it a letdown in comparison to the others.

Massa

JetBlackPanda said:
I have a mass effect 1 save on my 360 but it never imports (wont show up on the list of game saves) and I played maybe 2 hours of ME2 on 360 but I am wondering if the graphics are any better on ps3??

A bit late to reply now, but the graphics are pretty much on the same level (some prefer the PS3, others the 360). The PS3 version is more expensive but includes most of the DLC and let's you make choices from the first game, which AFAIK is only possible on 360 by importing a save file. So if you can't import your save you might keep that in mind.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
PC STUFF: Okay, so I've been playing with the texmod installed. For those that don't know, it's a work around that fixes the textures for your squad mates, like Tali's hood and Garrus's face. I'm using the optimized version, and it works.

ONE PROBLEM: My Nvidia Inspector settings don't work with it. I'm forcing 8XMSAA, which is so nice with ME, but when I'm using the texmod, my forced AA doesn't show up. I thought it was all in my head, but I rebooted without texmod and with the forced AA and it works as it did before - perfectly. None of those jagged edges were present.

Just wondering if anyone else had this problem, and if there are any hints or tips.

Replicant

Kasumi: Awesome, awesome DLC.
To me the majority of the game feels like Mission: Impossible episode. Of course it's inevitable that shooting will follow but it's worth it because Kasumi is an interesting character with awesome ability and this DLC gives you excellent weapon.

Lair of Shadow Broker: My second favorite. It's memorable due to the variety of gameplay on offer.
Traveling on that floating taxi was pretty fun and I like the confrontation against the two bosses. I can't remember if I got any weapon or not but overall, worth it.

Overlord: I am mixed about this.
On the one hand, there are some cool stuff like the VR battle and the final confrontation with David. On the other hand, I have to put up with the lousy Hammerhead for the majority of the game. That Hammerhead portion really brought down my enjoyment of this DLC.

Firewalker: I only touched it because it's the only way to get my Shepard to level 30 in one go.
Otherwise, I wouldn't go near the Hammerhead ever again!

Arrival: FUCKING LOUSY.
Not so much because it's repetitive battles but because it forces my Shepard to do an OOC moment. There's no option if I want to commit the destruction of 300,000 people or not. I was forced to do it by the game. The sucky thing is that even if you don't play this, you'll still be on trial for the genocide of the 300 thousands or so Batarians.

Zaeed/Cerberus Network: Hate Zaeed as a character but the mission itself wasn't bad. Plus, it gives me the chance to re-modeled his face.
Glad when he got trapped in the burning structures or whatever. He created all of these problems on his own and then jumping up and down when things went to shithole because Shepard has to fix his mess.

Yopis said:
Always thought Garrus was the best character. A good cop with a dark side.
Yeah. There needs to be a spin off game called Mass Effect: C-Sec where you play Garrus patrolling a huge area of the Citadel solving crimes. LA Noire on the Citadel.

Replicant

Legion + Kasumi + Garrus + Tali are the ones I use the most in ME2 and will hopefully get to use again in ME3. So I have an Infiltrator, a Thief, a Soldier, and a Technician/Engineer on my team. All I need is a Biotic but that'd solve itself when I get Kaidan again in ME3. Samara would be okay too, I guess. But I really don't want to use Jack if I don't have to.

thechemist

I must say this game was a amazing ride from start to finish, the soundtrack near the end was amazing. Bring on ME3!

I can't split both games (ME1 & 2), considering they are pretty different but awesome in their own ways.

Also Kasumi's mission was really good, very different to main game, felt like a heist movie in some ways.

I don't know why they didn't put this track on the OST, especially the bit after 2.30, amazing. Bit like how they missed the Virmire battle track off ME1 OST.

Time to do the remaining DLC!

Thanks again to the people who gave me tips/answers 2/3 pages back.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I just beat Mass Effect 1 and loved it. Epic game with epic story, great characters with great voice acting. The only thing i hated was the inventory and the sidequests that require you to get tons of useless crap around boring barren planets always using the same bunker and cavern(still loved their pretty skyboxes though!).

I will probably buy the sequel once i'm done with my 2nd run as a renegade specter, but what exactly changed in the sequel that make people either love it or hate it? Is it more RPG? More 3rd person shooter? Even more barren planets with the same buildings to visit? Or none at all? Still can't visit planets from our system other than the moon? Is the main story as good & interesting as the first game? Same inventory with little to no improvements? How's the voice acting(hope its still Jennifer Hale as female Shepard)? Does the Mako still exist?

I know it's a lot of questions, so in short, what exactly is different between the 2 games?

thechemist

Bisnic said:
I just beat Mass Effect 1 and loved it. Epic game with epic story, great characters with great voice acting. The only thing i hated was the inventory and the sidequests that require you to get tons of useless crap around boring barren planets always using the same bunker and cavern(still loved their pretty skyboxes though!).

I will probably buy the sequel once i'm done with my 2nd run as a renegade specter, but what exactly changed in the sequel that make people either love it or hate it? Is it more RPG? More 3rd person shooter? Even more barren planets with the same buildings to visit? Or none at all? Still can't visit planets from our system other than the moon? Is the main story as good & interesting as the first game? Same inventory with little to no improvements? How's the voice acting(hope its still Jennifer Hale as female Shepard)? Does the Mako still exist?

I know it's a lot of questions, so in short, what exactly is different between the 2 games?

Ah you hated the inventory! It is very streamlined in ME2. Theres no attachments as in such, there is no armour collection, etc.

ME2 is generally more action based, and has less of the exploratory bits of number 1.

The story I myself found personally very good, the ending segment of number 1 I found better overall though.

You can visit planets, but there is very little exploration its straight to the point generally. The Mako isn't present in number 2, I missed the mako in number 2 : (

A new addition to the game is planet scanning, which you may love or hate!

Oh also, Mass effect 2 has some pretty skyboxes lol.

Grisby

Bisnic said:

No more inventory or barren planet roving. The mako is gone completely and side missions are wholly unique, as are the areas. Less RPG 'elements' although upgrading characters is still there. The shooting feels tighter and more responsive. Voice acting is amazing and Hale is still Shepard.

Story wise its all about the characters and their different recruitment affairs. I enjoyed the main overall objective and there was still a cool twist or two involving the main canon. I found the sequel to be more hilarious as well, like Bioware was just having more 'fun' with their own game.

A lot of people are divided on ME2 because instead of refining elements from one, ie the inventory, they just tossed it out. There are a lot of other reasons as well but I'm sure others will tell you.

However, ME2 was my goty and to me, a superior sequel in almost every way. Play it and decide for yourself but make sure you get some of the DLC, mostly the Shadow Broker as its content done right.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
thechemist said:
Ah you hated the inventory! Its very streamlined in ME2.

ME2 is generally more action based, and has less of the exploratory bits of number 1.

The story I myself found personally very good, the ending segment of number 1 I found better overall tho.

You can visit planets, but theres very little exploration its striaght to the point generally. The Mako isn't present in number 2, I missed the mako in number 2 : (

There's a lot of things i hate with the inventory in the first game, would be too long to list everything. Good thing if this one is not as frustrating.

How are the skyboxes in this game? I loved visiting random planets in the first game and looking at the awesome blue or red sun in the sky, or that huge planet or moon being so close you could see everything on it. Also, all the little descriptions and zooming of each planets, even the ones you couldnt visit, was interesting. I always loved looking and reading about planets.

thechemist

Bisnic said:
There's a lot of things i hate with the inventory in the first game, would be too long to list everything. Good thing if this one is not as frustrating.

How are the skyboxes in this game? I loved visiting random planets in the first game and looking at the awesome blue or red sun in the sky, or that huge planet or moon being so close you could see everything on it. Also, all the little descriptions and zooming of each planets, even the ones you couldnt visit, was interesting. I always loved looking and reading about planets.

Yep, those descriptions are all there still for the individual planets. Skyboxes are nice, similar to no 1.

Grisby

Bisnic said:

The descriptions are still there as well as the codex.

The sky boxes are nice, although a lot of ones I remember most fondly are from the DLC. That isn't to say that ME2 hasn't improved in the graphics area. I felt that the sequel has a more 'lived in' look. Meaning that areas have more personality then ME1.

Plasma

Banned
Replicant said:
Zaeed/Cerberus Network: Hate Zaeed as a character but the mission itself wasn't bad. Plus, it gives me the chance to re-modeled his face.
Glad when he got trapped in the burning structures or whatever. He created all of these problems on his own and then jumping up and down when things went to shithole because Shepard has to fix his mess.

How can you hate Zaeed?

Arjen

Shadow of the BEAST said:
i never played me1 and i dont have a gaming pc nor an xbox 360.

should i pick this up for ps3?

You will be missing out on a lot of backstory, but i'd say yes the game can be played on it's own.

Gvaz

Banned
Arjen said:
You will be missing out on a lot of backstory, but i'd say yes the game can be played on it's own.
ME2 comes with that comic book thing though, so you can at least make basic choices.

red731

I have important question for those who own the ps3 version of this game.

How troublesome/glitchy/audio lagy is it with the newest patch and does corruption of save files still occur?
Same question goes for the comic book decisions and reaction in ME2 itself, is it fixed or you will fall in love with someone in comic and have other one in your quarters?

I will receive the game today and I am asking if I should open it or send it back...
And I loved the demo, I love space and everything I saw, but I don't want my experience to be ruined by said things.

I was looking at bioware forums too and the audio glitch, as it seems, won't be fixed because it only happes to "minority" of people.
If you don't have any problems with the lag, how do you have the ps3 audio output set?
Maybe it has to do something with the system too, that we can fix by changing stuff(still it's mostly biowares fault..).

Thanks for the answer

I downloaded the demo from the american psn.

And man the graphics are shit. Especially during the panning scenes in cut scenes. Its not ju frame drops its outright stuttering.

it seems better in shooting mode. then the framerate is solid but the graphics are just bland.

Is the end product this bad?

SamuraiX-

Hey, guys. So I have a dilemma. I've been wanting to get into the Mass Effect series for some time, but as I continue to try and find gameplay videos to try and get me hyped up I find myself constantly being left disappointed with the gunplay in the games (which I assume is a large portion of what most fans get their fun out of the series?).

The gunplay itself to me just looks so dull, archaic, and uninspired. I know there is more to the game and I'm intrigued by the potential variety that the entirety of the gameplay has to offer, but I can't get over how seemingly out-of-date the shooting sequences look.

So would anyone happen to have anything I could read or watch to get me hyped up enough about the game to finally make the purchase?

Thank you kindly in advance. :)

Samara

red731 said:
I have important question for those who own the ps3 version of this game.

How troublesome/glitchy/audio lagy is it with the newest patch and does corruption of save files still occur?
Same question goes for the comic book decisions and reaction in ME2 itself, is it fixed or you will fall in love with someone in comic and have other one in your quarters?

I will receive the game today and I am asking if I should open it or send it back...
And I loved the demo, I love space and everything I saw, but I don't want my experience to be ruined by said things.

I was looking at bioware forums too and the audio glitch, as it seems, won't be fixed because it only happes to "minority" of people.
If you don't have any problems with the lag, how do you have the ps3 audio output set?
Maybe it has to do something with the system too, that we can fix by changing stuff(still it's mostly biowares fault..).

Thanks for the answer

The game is quite laggy in some spot for me. There are some glitches like being thrown out of cover (as if Harbinger is shooting at you), or your aim is totally off, even if your in the right corner. And some Paragon interrupt are like 0.5 second long.

I dont know about other people, but I think I am buying the game on 360/PC next time.

SamuraiX- said:
Hey, guys. So I have a dilemma. I've been wanting to get into the Mass Effect series for some time, but as I continue to try and find gameplay videos to try and get me hyped up I find myself constantly being left disappointed with the gunplay in the games (which I assume is a large portion of what most fans get their fun out of the series?).

The gunplay itself to me just looks so dull, archaic, and uninspired. I know there is more to the game and I'm intrigued by the potential variety that the entirety of the gameplay has to offer, but I can't get over how seemingly out-of-date the shooting sequences look.

So would anyone happen to have anything I could read or watch to get me hyped up enough about the game to finally make the purchase?

Thank you kindly in advance. :)
Sounds like the game isn't for you. it's no use in forcing yourself to like something that isn't your cup of tea, trust me.

Bankoiia

Started playing this again. Going to blow through it on Insanity with a new character. Only one more character 'til I've assembled my team.

I'm having way less trouble than I thought it would, and it reminds me of how much I like the combat in this game. Especially compared to the first game.

SamuraiX-

_dementia said:
Sounds like the game isn't for you. it's no use in forcing yourself to like something that isn't your cup of tea, trust me.

I understand where you're coming from but I don't necessarily feel like I'm forcing myself.

I just feel like I'm missing out and I'm just unable to appreciate the series at first glance from an outsider's perspective. There have been plenty of games in the past where I had the "do not want" mentality at first until something eventually pulled me in and then I had a blast.

SamuraiX- said:
I understand where you're coming from but I don't necessarily feel like I'm forcing myself.

I just feel like I'm missing out and I'm just unable to appreciate the series at first glance from an outsider's perspective. There have been plenty of games in the past where I had the "do not want" mentality at first until something eventually pulled me in and then I had a blast.

Try another class than Soldier.

Use Adept and take full emphasis on biotic power, and consider using your gun as a support.

Game is boring as a soldier. Epic as fuck as a pure adept.

Massa

Stallion Free said:
The game looked like shit on PS3 to me.

I was coming down from 1080p/60 fps/8x AA though.

Nah, game looks great on PS3. The only thing that ruins its graphics are the facial animations, and those are just as shitty on PC.

SamuraiX-

UnluckyKate said:
Try another class than Soldier.

Use Adept and take full emphasis on biotic power, and consider using your gun as a support.

Game is boring as a soldier. Epic as fuck as a pure adept.

Now that sounds interesting. I watched some videos on YouTube of the Adept abilities and also rewatched the GameTrailers review and I can say I feel more excited to give it a go. It's going for about $30 right now for PS3 on Amazon. I'll probably just wait for another $10 price drop.

Thanks for the tip. :)

red731

Started playing, playing while downloading cerberus pack with comic, playing...1 hour 40 minutes.
No comic, go to sleep, wake, investigate...

...going home, deleting save, starting over.. bah

Will my face be saved for later use or I must create it again?

Rapture

red731 said:
Will my face be saved for later use or I must create it again?

if you are not importing a custom character from ME1 and are starting a new game then yes you do have to re-create a face.

Top Bottom