• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

thechemist said:
Just got a question, playing this on PS3 is there any issue with playing any of the DLC early on in the game, i.e. recruiting zaeed/kasumi or the going to normandy crash site, etc?

Thanks.
There shouldn't be, in a technical sense. In regards to story, it's just up to you when you feel most of them would be best.

I would personally recommend doing all of the DLC whenever you want, but save Lair of the Shadow Broker and Arrival for after finishing the main game. You obviously don't have to, but I feel it fits into the series of events better this way.

thechemist

Typographenia said:
There shouldn't be, in a technical sense. In regards to story, it's just up to you when you feel most of them would be best.

I would personally recommend doing all of the DLC whenever you want, but save Lair of the Shadow Broker and Arrival for after finishing the main game. You obviously don't have to, but I feel it fits into the series of events better this way.

Hungry Ghost said:
I didn't have any, the only bug I had in the game was during the final boss where my game froze.

Thanks appreciate it and thanks for advice, I will play those two DLC's post game.

Another question following on from that, can you play those two DLC's straight after the game or do you have to start a new game to play those DLC's (if I choose to play them after the game).

I just figured out that, in the arrival, if you beat the DLC, before beating the game you see
a collector instead of reaper as a giant orange hologram
because at this point, you don't know who is Harbinger.

Grisby

UnluckyKate said:
I just figured out that, in the arrival, if you beat the DLC, before beating the game you see
a collector instead of reaper as a giant orange hologram
because at this point, you don't know who is Harbinger.

Neat.

Raw64life

Bought Mass Effect 1 & 2 about 2 and 1 year ago respectively on Steam, but didn't play through them until last month. Now wondering what took me so long. Came here wondering what DLC was worth it since there seems to be a lot of it compared to 1 but the last page seems to answer my question. Shadow Broker it is.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
I have been running through both Mass Effect 1 & 2 the past couple of weeks. I remember when I first started playing ME1 way back in December (and took a long break after the first few hours) but for some reason the games have just sucked me in. I'm working on doing all of the loyalty missions for my crew in ME2. I'm probably not the first person to think this but I feel that these games are the Western equivalent to Suikoden 1&2, where no other RPGs have succeeded in creating such a varied world where you can appear to do anything. I feel like once I finish this game I will go back to the first game and try playing as FemShep.

MrMephistoX

Raw64life said:
Bought Mass Effect 1 & 2 about 2 and 1 year ago respectively on Steam, but didn't play through them until last month. Now wondering what took me so long. Came here wondering what DLC was worth it since there seems to be a lot of it compared to 1 but the last page seems to answer my question. Shadow Broker it is.

I've only played Kasumi and Overlord so far but they are pretty great as well.

Gvaz

Banned
Shadow broker is head and tails over everything except Overlord (which is moderately better)

It's better in fact that most parts of the actual game

Gvaz said:
Shadow broker is head and tails over everything except Overlord (which is moderately better)

It's better in fact that most parts of the actual game
I totally agree. Shadow Broker is also really worth it if you Romanced Liara in the first game.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
I need some help regarding the loyalty missions. Since I need higher Paragon/Renegade to resolve the arguments between
Miranda/Jack
and
Tali/Legion
would playing the game in this order result in all being loyal to me?
1) First the assignments on Omega, Illium and the Citadel to get more Paragon.
2) All LM except Miranda's, Jack's, Tali's & Legion's
3) Horizon mission
4) Miranda's/Jack's LM
5) Tali's/Legion's LM

I suggest you do Jack or Miranda's loyalty mission early and do the counterpart before the Derelict Reaper. If you can get through that check, you can get through Tali and Legion's and still have
Legion visit the Flotilla

Crewnh said:
I suggest you do Jack or Miranda's loyalty mission early and do the counterpart before the Derelict Reaper. If you can get through that check, you can get through Tali and Legion's and still have
Whoa, I didn't know that was possible. What is that like?

_dementia said:
Whoa, I didn't know that was possible. What is that like?
I'm sure you can guess.
Initial freaking out by every Quarian and then very fast acceptance. It's gamey but very entertaining.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Crewnh said:

Like this?
2) All LM except Jack's, Tali's & Legion's
3) Horizon mission
4) Jack's LM before the Derelict Reaper
5) Tali's/Legion's LM

Patryn

kamorra said:
To get Zaeed loyal I have to
agree with him and go all Renegade during his mission,
right?

No. If you're high enough Paragon, you can
disagree with him and insist on saving the workers
and you can still gain his loyalty.

Kasumi DLC is great for the character and the Femshep outfit, and the loyalty mission is great...the first time, once you do it one time (or two because there's a couple of ways to do things) is losses all it's charm, I found it incredible boring to replay.

Also the boss sucks big time, since It can take too much time to deal with.

kamorra said:
To get Zaeed loyal I have to
agree with him and go all Renegade during his mission,
right?

If your Paragon points are high enough you don't need to goo full renegade in the mission to get him

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Patryn said:
No. If you're high enough Paragon, you can
disagree with him and insist on saving the workers
and you can still gain his loyalty.
Relaxed Muscle said:
If your Paragon points are high enough you don't need to goo full renegade in the mission to get him

Oh, nice. Thanks!

Replicant

I finally got this game and I love what I've played so far with one exception: the battle/shooting part. For some reason I feel that the battle feels very clumsy. Unlike other EA games like Dead Space where precision matters, I feel that precision is completely off the whack in this game. Most of the time I'm not sure if the bullets that I pump into the enemy actually making dent or not.

The shoot/cover system also feels loose/not tight. Am I just not used to it (it's my first time playing a Bioware game after all) or is there a better way of fighting that I don't know yet? I admit I'm still not familiar with all of the terms the game uses (biotics, shell, etc). I assume different strategy is required to fight different type of enemies?

One more thing, am I just paranoid or is every dialogue seems potentially can ruin your next story if you're not careful? I always end up saving before any conversation because I'm afraid that I'd choose the wrong option or I'd missed a sudden QTE prompts (the small logo/symbol thing was barely noticeable when it appeared).

At any rate, I'm mostly just impressed at how MASSIVE this game feels. I'm only on one mission at Omega and it already feels huge and feel like there are many branching path/additional missions. I feel insane trying to keep tabs on every corner/locked doors/alternative path just to make sure I don't miss them all. I can see myself spending a lot of good time with this game.

kamorra said:
I need some help regarding the loyalty missions. Since I need higher Paragon/Renegade to resolve the arguments between
Miranda/Jack
and
Tali/Legion
would playing the game in this order result in all being loyal to me?
2) All LM except Miranda's, Jack's, Tali's & Legion's
3) Horizon mission
4) Miranda's/Jack's LM
5) Tali's/Legion's LM

There's a glitch at the end of Samara's loyalty mission that can get you all the way to full paragon if you don't mind spending a few minutes doing it (if you don't want to cheat that's cool, just letting you know the option is there)

Replicant said:
I finally got this game and I love what I've played so far with one exception: the battle/shooting part. For some reason I feel that the battle feels very clumsy. Unlike other EA games like Dead Space where precision matters, I feel that precision is completely off the whack in this game. Most of the time I'm not sure if the bullets that I pump into the enemy actually making dent or not.
Well, that's just bioware trying to dip their toes into the third person shooter style further. It's clunky, and you're not doing it wrong.
It really doesn't get much better, but it can get more enjoyable, depending upon what class and skills you choose as you progress. Vanguard charge + shotgun is my pick, and I love it.

Replicant said:
One more thing, am I just paranoid or is every dialogue seems potentially can ruin your next story if you're not careful? I always end up saving before any conversation because I'm afraid that I'd choose the wrong option or I'd missed a sudden QTE prompts (the small logo/symbol thing was barely noticeable when it appeared).
I don't believe there is really any way to "ruin" your missions through dialogue. It will result with either paragon or renegade points going up, but there's only two things I can think of that might "ruin" the game. Those depend upon how you really want it to play out, though. Don't worry about that stuff. Just play the game, and just try to enjoy it!
I say this, but I was the exact same way on my first play throughs of ME1 and 2, haha.

The game is pretty big, but don't worry too much about missing stuff. I was that way playing the first game, but 2 is much more forgiving in that regard. As long as you just keep an eye out for new conversations, people, or places on your map you should be good.

Megasoum

Banned
I really wish they would put the Digital Deluxe version on sale too and not just the regular version. I would pay a couple of extra bucks to get all the bonus features.

Megasoum said:
I really wish they would put the Digital Deluxe version on sale too and not just the regular version. I would pay a couple of extra bucks to get all the bonus features.
The video and comic really aren't worth it, unless you're just die-hard about it. You can pick up the full soundtrack on itunes and I think amazon has it to download as well.
Art book is pretty disappointing compared to the one from the first game, so only look into it if you're really, really interested.

It appears as though Steam has ME1 + ME2 deluxe bundle for $34 right now, which is $5 less than the ME2deluxe normally is. If you don't have either, I highly recommend keeping an eye on that to show up for a daily deal, or grab it at the end of the week if it doesn't. I'd be really surprised if it didn't go on sale, however.

Replicant

I'm slightly creep out but also pleasantly surprised at how charming my Shephard turns out to be. When I created the guy, I thought he'd look Godawful due to how limited the character creation tool on the PS3 version is (at least the PC folks can do mods on it). Moreover, I've seen some terrifying shots of the original Shephard all around the web. But to my surprise, I ended up with a mixture of Jason Statham/Daniel Craig clone. Good-looking in manly kind of way. What I didn't expect is that his facial expressions turned out to be natural and not terrifying at all during most of the scenes

I thought because the animation is canned (ie. no matter how you designed the character, the eyebrows will always animate the same, the mouth will always curve in similar ways, etc), my creation would look creepy and weird when talking. But no, he was surprisingly authoritative when he needs to and charming in others, especially during the "I am Commander Shephard and *this* is my favorite shop on the Citadel" scenes. His expressions were surprisingly natural and kind of flirty in those scenes.

Playing through the PS3 release and trying to go to Illium...and I'm stuck on a loading screen.

EA/BioWare makes some glitchy as hell shit. Sound dropping in and out. Random ass textures...and now freezing during the long ass loading screens ( at first I couldn't even tell that it was frozen.)

Fuck.

Re-Installing the game now.

hope this works otherwise I just wasted my damn time.

FerranMG

Just started the game today on my 360, and I can't get past the very first scene because the game freezes after
the Normandy crashing and Shepherd being set up after he going missing in action
I'm gonna try to uninstall and see if that helps, but man is this a bad start. :(

Any things worth knowing before starting again. Missable achievements or items, any kind of suggestion...

Knux-Future said:
Playing through the PS3 release and trying to go to Illium...and I'm stuck on a loading screen.

EA/BioWare makes some glitchy as hell shit. Sound dropping in and out. Random ass textures...and now freezing during the long ass loading screens ( at first I couldn't even tell that it was frozen.)

Fuck.

Re-Installing the game now.

hope this works otherwise I just wasted my damn time.

Wait till something explodes on you and glitches you out of the normal area, lost quite a bit of game time due to it.

Replicant

Wait til you guys get to one of the missions and become confused because you can't go anywhere. All of that is because the NPC that is meant to interact with you just stand still like a statue and not reacting to you being in its vicinity.

Mr_Zombie

There's no such point.
However, there is a point where you have to quickly do the final mission if you want the best ending.
after your ship is attacked, you can do one or two missions before you start the final mission; otherwise you will loose most of your crew

thechemist

Mr_Zombie said:
There's no such point.
However, there is a point where you have to quickly do the final mission if you want the best ending.
after your ship is attacked, you can do one or two missions before you start the final mission; otherwise you will loose most of your crew

Thanks appreciate it.

Replicant

Mr_Zombie said:
There's no such point.

Hmm, I don't think i got to that point yet but in that case:

I got dragged into the Horizon mission before I even had the chance to do Miranda/Jacob/Garrus/etc mission. Moreover, I haven't got the chance to recruit Tali and Legion yet. I then read the post here that suggests it's better to do Miranda/Jacob etc mission before Horizon. So I panicked and immediately recruit Grunt and Justicar and then immediately did Miranda and Jacob's LM.

So the question is, am I doing okay? Should I continue doing more LM or should I recruit Tali and Legion first? How much time do I have left? I was told that we're going to the derelict Reaper ship but I told everyone that we don't have enough crew yet so that's on hold at the moment.

Also, should I play Lair of Shadow Broker now or just wait until later?

Last but not least, I'm at Level 13 on the current situation and my Paragon is only 2.5 bar. Should I worry?

Patryn

Replicant said:
Hmm, I don't think i got to that point yet but in that case:

I got dragged into the Horizon mission before I even had the chance to do Miranda/Jacob/Garrus/etc mission. Moreover, I haven't got the chance to recruit Tali and Legion yet. I then read the post here that suggests it's better to do Miranda/Jacob etc mission before Horizon. So I panicked and immediately recruit Grunt and Justicar and then immediately did Miranda and Jacob's LM.

So the question is, am I doing okay? Should I continue doing more LM or should I recruit Tali and Legion first? How much time do I have left? I was told that we're going to the derelict Reaper ship but I told everyone that we don't have enough crew yet so that's on hold at the moment.

Also, should I play Lair of Shadow Broker now or just wait until later?

Last but not least, I'm at Level 13 on the current situation and my Paragon is only 2.5 bar. Should I worry?

Stop worrying.

You're not near the end of the game. The mission you should hold off on is the IFF mission. That's pretty much the point of no return if you want the best ending. You cannot recruit Legion until you do that mission, though, so don't worry about that.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I was going to play Mass Effect 2 PC on my 55 inch LCD TV, didn't realize that the 360 controller or any controller wasn't compatible. I guess I'll just play it on the PC like usual.

Replicant

Patryn said:
Stop worrying.

You're not near the end of the game. The mission you should hold off on is the IFF mission. That's pretty much the point of no return if you want the best ending. You cannot recruit Legion until you do that mission, though, so don't worry about that.

Thank you! Yeah, I'm stressed out for nothing but the game sometimes throw me on a tangent that I didn't expect and I always ended up getting chills in my bone when I thought I made a wrong move. The whole Paragon/Renegade thing didn't make things easier either since you seem to either have to side with one or the other almost completely.

neoism

so guys I have just watched a few vids of Me2 and it looks a lot more actiony... I bought Me 1 on Pc a year ago, and played it for about 10 hours I didn't like it at all. So is this game completely different than Me1 I think it my be worth 6.80, but one major question... one of the reason I didn't like ME1 was the keyb and mouse I just don't like playing games without a game pad. Plus Me1 was just uninteresting to me. I just don't have much luck with Bioware games. I bought KOTOR and all the bugs in that game ruined it for me. Does it have 360 pad support. I'd like to get both insane graphic and pad support.
Also do you really have to had played the first one...

neoism

Trojita said:
I was going to play Mass Effect 2 PC on my 55 inch LCD TV, didn't realize that the 360 controller or any controller wasn't compatible. I guess I'll just play it on the PC like usual.
:(

Replicant

Question about Loyalty Mission:

Is it a good idea to do
Tali's LM BEFORE or AFTER the IFF? What's the reason for doing it either way? To gain enough paragon? I mean the fight between her vs. Legion and Miranda vs. Jack are trigger when each set of nemesis have their LM completed, right? So I assume if I just postpone Jack and Legion until the end, I'd be fine?

Replicant said:
Question about Loyalty Mission:

Is it a good idea to do
Tali's LM BEFORE or AFTER the IFF? What's the reason for doing it either way? To gain enough paragon?

I do it after so I can bring Legion

Gvaz

Banned
Khal_B said:
Does the DLC of this game for PC ever go on sale?
Nope.

I don't suggest buying anything but Lair of the Shadow Broker. Get a "buddy" to buy you the rest of the dlc instead :p

Khal_B

Gvaz said:
Nope.

I don't suggest buying anything but Lair of the Shadow Broker. Get a "buddy" to buy you the rest of the dlc instead :p

Cool, thx for the response. I have almost all of the DLC but hearing bad things about "The Arrival", I was hoping to get that on some kind of sale.

Gvaz

Banned
The Arrival isn't necessarily bad, however it was hyped up to be some great bridge for ME3 and also had the level of quality expectations of LOTSB and just falls on its face.

Top Bottom