• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

rozay

Banned
Arrival is 280 points on the xbox marketplace this week for gold members:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/P...2347eb5-4926-4a66-9e3e-beb2e9021e72?cid=SLink

EDIT: Kasumi and Arrival are 280, LOTSB is 400.

SamuraiX- said:
Now that sounds interesting. I watched some videos on YouTube of the Adept abilities and also rewatched the GameTrailers review and I can say I feel more excited to give it a go. It's going for about $30 right now for PS3 on Amazon. I'll probably just wait for another $10 price drop.

Thanks for the tip. :)
I have a lot of fun with other classes doing tech and biotic combos across the battlefield. The combat system is definitely not perfect and playing as a soldier, it gets boring quick, but the other classes have things you can do to switch up the gameplay. Easily worth $30, if you're getting it from Amazon.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I bought the game, but i can't select my ME1 profiles for a new game. My ME1 was bought from Steam while ME2 is from a retail box. I found the files, but can i just copy them somewhere in my ME2 folders? If so, which one? I can't seem to find any profiles folder.

Bought all of the half-off DLC today.

I'm seriously considering downloading the interactive comic from the PS3 version as well. I'd like to play around with some of the decisions, and being able to do that in 10-15 minutes sounds a lot better than having to re-play ME1 in its entirety. I hope both versions of ME3 ship with a comic that lets you remake decisions from ME2.

Mr_Zombie

Bisnic said:
I bought the game, but i can't select my ME1 profiles for a new game. My ME1 was bought from Steam while ME2 is from a retail box. I found the files, but can i just copy them somewhere in my ME2 folders? If so, which one? I can't seem to find any profiles folder.
You have to launch the settings window (from the ME2 Launcher), there you will find an option to import ME1 saves.

rozay

Banned
Is there still no way to get terminus and collector armor on the xbox without resorting to high eBay prices? I would do bad things for the codes, but paying $100 is not an option.

Gvaz

Banned
rozay said:
Is there still no way to get terminus and collector armor on the xbox without resorting to high eBay prices? I would do bad things for the codes, but paying $100 is not an option.
There is, if you had a JTAG'd xbox. Since I assume you don't, then no. Your other option is to get it on the PC, and download the DLC from an "alternate" place.

I personally don't see anything wrong with it for the terminus armor since no consumer paid extra to gamestop just to have the armor, and it's not fair for it not to be available to everyone, especially after release.

BKXB said:
Sounds like Shadow Broker @ 400 points is the one to get?

Yep it is the best of the bunch really and impressive visually sometimes. If you enjoyed Mass Effect 2 then you will enjoy Shadow Broker. About the only complaint I have about it was the fact it was pretty much a straight path from beginning to end.

BKXB said:
Saw the DLC sale on the 360.

Sounds like Shadow Broker @ 400 points is the one to get?
If you're being very frugal, yes.
If you want some good stuff too, get Overlord and Kasumi. Arrival only if you really want it.

Aske

Ugh. Gold members only. I was wondering why my store still priced Arrival at 560 points. Here's what really chafes my gapes: I have 40 points, and I can only buy 500 or 1000. Sigh.

The only stuff I've ever bought from Live has been Mass Effect 1 and 2 DLC.

Shadow Broker is amazing, and Kasumi and Overlord are well worth owning.

Bisnic

Started playing today, and it's a shame to see the hair still look as bad as in the first game. Alright, it's slightly better, but still looks low res. =/ Unless there is some trick to make it look better.

Here's how it looks like on my female Shepard :
http://i.imgur.com/HUyKI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2Cc4G.jpg

Anyone know if there is something to do to get high res hair or am i stuck with that?

ToyBroker

Banned
I loved playing this on PS3.

And I talked with friends, and apparently I'm an idiot for picking the Vanguard (on my first play through) and NEVER using "charge". Apparently using charge and getting up close in personal is the whole point of the class.

Second play through I played as an Adept and I loved it.

SamuraiX-

rozay said:
I have a lot of fun with other classes doing tech and biotic combos across the battlefield. The combat system is definitely not perfect and playing as a soldier, it gets boring quick, but the other classes have things you can do to switch up the gameplay. Easily worth $30, if you're getting it from Amazon.

Good to know. :)

So are you only playing as Shepard throughout the entire game or is it possible to take control of your team members at all?

Is it possible to change your class after you've already chosen it? Do team members appear with pre-selected classes that cannot be changed?

Bisnic

Something is wrong with the eyes of Shepard... seriously.

Low res hair is something, but this? Everytime she moves a little, and depending on the angle, the left eye does that weird graphic glitch. It can get worst than that sometimes, trust me.
zFlcY.jpg

In a few weeks, I'll finally have my new laptop (Dell XPS 17) and it will be the first PC I will have that will be able to actually run new games :) I've played ME1&2 on 360 and I can't wait to finally play them on PC. Any FAQs on the PC version? Especially when it comes to customizing my Shepard.

Yopis

Buttonbasher said:
Yeah. There needs to be a spin off game called Mass Effect: C-Sec where you play Garrus patrolling a huge area of the Citadel solving crimes. LA Noire on the Citadel.

Good enough for me.

Bisnic

So no one ever had this eye glitch? Is it because i'm missing some patch? Or is my video card acting up? It's working fine with other games, so i'm sure the problem is from ME2.

And anything i can do with the low res hair, or does Bioware just sucks with them?

Bisnic said:
So no one ever had this eye glitch? Is it because i'm missing some patch? Or is my video card acting up? It's working fine with other games, so i'm sure the problem is from ME2.

And anything i can do with the low res hair, or does Bioware just sucks with them?

i swear it didnt look that bad on my ps3.

number47

ToyBroker said:
I loved playing this on PS3.

And I talked with friends, and apparently I'm an idiot for picking the Vanguard (on my first play through) and NEVER using "charge". Apparently using charge and getting up close in personal is the whole point of the class.

Second play through I played as an Adept and I loved it.

Funny,I regreted using vanguard during my first run. charge kinda of broke the game for me.
like fighting games. a character who has a dash,then a powerful move to follow up are SUPER OVERPOWERED.

Bisnic said:

I only notice the eye glitch during one part of the game: the one where you took your screenshot. All characters have bugged eyes on the Presidium, for some reason.

Bisnic

Blue Ninja said:
I only notice the eye glitch during one part of the game: the one where you took your screenshot. All characters have bugged eyes on the Presidium, for some reason.

It's true that this bug was no where to be seen before i went to the Presidium. Maybe something to do with the lightning. Bioware didn't fix it with a patch?

Now i just need to look if there is some kind of high res texture patch somewhere, because i don't like what i see. It really doesn't go well with the faces that looks pretty good. It's like the hair is made out of cardboard.

JJD

I just finished the game, I never finished part 1, stopped at the
planet where Saren was cloning Krogans
, part 2 was sitting on my backlog for months, now that I've taken time to play it, I'm really looking foward to part 3.

I can't shake the feeling that
my decision to let Cerberus have the Collectors base is going to bite me in the ass in the future. During the game I kept every bit of compromising information against Cerberus to myself (Overlord intel for exemple, etc), never returned or delivered any of it the Illusive Man. I stoped/ended every single questionable program that they had (like the biotics program that gave birth to Jack).

I never trusted then, so I thought that I should have something on then if I ever needed. The thing is, on the last mission, I couldn't justify destroying the collectors base just because of the horrors that were perpetrated there.The most logic decision was to keep the base and study collectors and reaper tech to use against then on the future, saving billions of lives in the end. Hell even Mordin agreed.

But I wish I could decide who would keep the base, Cerberus, the Alliance or the Council. I would have chosen the Council, to prove to then the Reaper threat. The Illusive man confirmed my suspicions when he said that they would use the base to ensure human dominance on the galaxy. I didn't want that, use it to destroy the reapers, share the technology with the other races. Show the universe that humans are dependable, can be trusted (especially after killing thousands of batarians on the Arrival DLC, to save the rest of the galaxy, billions of people)

I did a Paragon run, and thought Tali would be the only true choice for a paragon Shepard. Miranda's a bitch and Jack's a psycho, Tali on the other hand is a sweet quarian girl with a huge crush on Shep. No contest.

Lair of the Shadow Broker was probably the best mission for me, if every DLC was like that I would buy then all. They should use it as a template for ME3 downloadable content.
Especially the stuff after the mission, on the Shadow Broker office
.It was as good as, if not better than the last mission. Arrival was good, but not on the same scope (on a gameplay, settings level).

By the way, Mordin = best party member ever!!! Really well developed
Genophage, Salarian Task Force stuff, loyalty mission, etc.
, funny as hell
remarks about Shepard being attracted to him, singing, etc.
. I really hope Bioware gives him the same prominence on ME3.

Just one more thing, please Bioware, PLEASE, bring back the toggle helmet option! I played the the game from the beginning to end without a helmet because I wanted to see Shepard's expressions...fuck realism!!!

Edit - I knew I was going to regret
giving the Collectors base to Cerberus...just learned that Shepard is going to be on the run from then on part 3...dammit! Lol...

Arjen

JJD said:
, part 2 was sitting on my backlog for months, now that I've taken time to play it, I'm really looking foward to part 3.

I can't shake the feeling that
my decision to let Cerberus have the Collectors base is going to bite me in the ass in the future. During the game I kept every bit of compromising information against Cerberus to myself (Overlord intel for exemple, etc), never returned or delivered any of it the Illusive Man. I stoped/ended every single questionable program that they had (like the biotics program that gave birth to Jack).

I never trusted then, so I thought that I should have something on then if I ever needed. The thing is, on the last mission, I couldn't justify destroying the collectors base just because of the horrors that were perpetrated there.The most logic decision was to keep the base and study prothean and reaper tech to use against then on the future, saving billions of lives in the end. Hell even Mordin agreed.

But I wish I could decide who would keep the base, Cerberus, the Alliance or the Council. I would have chosen the Council, to prove to then the Reaper threat. The Illusive man confirmed my suspicions when he said that they would use the base to ensure human dominance on the galaxy. I didn't want that, use it to destroy the reapers, share the technology with the other races. Show the universe that humans are dependable, can be trusted (especially after killing thousands of batarians on the Arrival DLC, to save the rest of the galaxy, billions of people)

I did a Paragon run, and thought Tali would be the only true choice for a paragon Shepard. Miranda's a bitch and Jack's a psycho, Tali on the other hand is a sweet quarian girl with a huge crush on Shep. No contest.

Lair of the Shadow Broker was probably the best mission for me, if every DLC was like that I would buy then all. They should use it as a template for ME3 downloadable content.
Especially the stuff after the mission, on the Shadow Broker office
.It was as good as, if not better than the last mission. Arrival was good, but not on the same scope.

By the way, Mordin = best party member ever!!! Really well developed
Genophage, Salarian Task Force stuff, loyalty mission, etc.
, funny as hell
remarks about Shepard being attracted to him, singing, etc.
. I really hope Bioware gives him the same prominence on ME3.

Just one more thing, please Bioware, PLEASE, bring back the toggle helmet option! I played the the game from the beginning to end without a helmet because I wanted to see Shepard's expressions...fuck realism!!!

Edit - I knew I was going to regret
giving the Collectors base to Cerberus...just learned that Shepard is going to be on the run from then on part 3...dammit! Lol...

Well..Last book spoilers.
Cerberus gets the reaper tech anyway, according to the last book.

JJD

Arjen said:

That's cool actually. But it would be cooler if we could choose
who would keep the base. I mean, if you're a human supremacist give it to Cerberus, if you're tired of the council ignoring the reapers threat give it to the Alliance, and if you just want (as I did) humans to show that they're trustworthy, part of the galactic community, give it to the Council!
There could be some cool ramifications on those choices, I think it was a missed oportunity.

Cerberus getting the tech after you betrayed then, giving it to the Council for example would be a nice excuse for the Illusive Man to be after you. Maybe even the Alliance could be against Shepard thinking the tech should be handed to then. It would be nice if Shepard had to rely mostly on aliens to get the job done, working against human organizations to save earth and the galaxy, and the aliens needing to trust on a single human soldier to save then, despite their distrust of humanity

Just got this for PS3, waiting on delivery.

DLC playthrough order recommendations?
Pre-endgame: Kasumi and Zaeed
Post-endgame: Lair of the Shadow Broker, Arrival

You can play the Firewalker pack and Overlord pretty much whenever you want to.

Arjen said:
I bet the Illusive Man had ships standing by to salvage the remains of the Collector Base the moment Shepard jumped out-system, even if Shep blew it up. There's probably still a shitload of salvageable Reaper tech still floating around there.

Replicant said:
Zaeed/Cerberus Network: Hate Zaeed as a character but the mission itself wasn't bad. Plus, it gives me the chance to re-modeled his face.
Glad when he got trapped in the burning structures or whatever. He created all of these problems on his own and then jumping up and down when things went to shithole because Shepard has to fix his mess.

Wait what, remodel zaeed?

rozay

Banned
Does anything in Lair of the Shadow Broker change if you play it before you do the suicide mission versus doing it after?

I did it afterwards and it did feel like the right time to do it storywise, but doing it as soon as you complete Horizon seems like a good idea too because the upgrades you get from the mission are very, very beneficial for the rest of the game.

Gvaz

Banned
JJD said:
Go back and play ME1. That was like the 3/4 point. I think. It depends on which planets you did first, really. I always do Virmire last. That being said, if you did all the other planets and then virmire, theres maybe 5 hours left.

MaddenNFL64

rozay said:
Does anything in Lair of the Shadow Broker change if you play it before you do the suicide mission versus doing it after?

I did it afterwards and it did feel like the right time to do it storywise, but doing it as soon as you complete Horizon seems like a good idea too because the upgrades you get from the mission are very, very beneficial for the rest of the game.

Do it asap during a normal playthrough, and come back often. Lots of goodies like upgrades, credits & resources get sent your way as gifts.

I think I got 3 extra upgrades (this is not counting the upgrades you get during the mission) on one of my playthroughs.

REV 09

i'm replaying this on pc with the high res texture mods. The game is significantly better looking this way. i can't wait for ME3.

Bisnic

REV 09 said:
i'm replaying this on pc with the high res texture mods. The game is significantly better looking this way. i can't wait for ME3.

Can you post a link to it? I'd love to play this game if there is a way to get better hair and cloth resolution.

Melchiah

ToyBroker said:

I tried the ability first time towards the end of the game. Played both games using mainly guns, and the special ammo.

Bisnic said:

Yeah everyone has it if you are playing the PC version. The clipping in Andersons office on the PC version was truly horrible. There is nothing wrong with your card or the game and there is no patch to fix it. This is just a classic example of Bioware not bothering to fully support the PC version as it should. Another problem you will probably encounter is during Archangels Loyalty Mission you will see lots of blurring and ghosting on that level because of a bug in the level that Bioware could never be arsed to fix.

As much as I love ME 2 I do believe Bioware should be ashamed of their amateur approach to the PC version.

REV 09

Atruvius said:
You can see through Tali's mask with that mod. :O Is the face fan made or did the devs intended originally to show her face?
The face is fan made by the creator of the mod, but there is a hi-res version of Tali w/o the detailed face if you prefer it the old way. i kind of liked the see through, so i'm playing again with that version.

Mxrz

This probably be gets asked a lot, but i figure this is the spot for it.

$29 for the DLC/PS3 version and I'm tempted, but I just finished DA:O and I'm a little sour on Bioware. Is the game actually fun to play in comparison? Hard to compare the two games I realize. I want to try it given the setting, but I'm not crazy about winding up in DA: Space-Dudes either.

Any chance it breaks the typical Bioware "Go find/do these 3/4 things!" formula?

I've not played the first one, and I've been kept my distance from anything spoiler'ish over the years . So all I know its its a 3rd person shooter-type, with rpg mechanics, and in space.

Mxrz said:
This probably be gets asked a lot, but i figure this is the spot for it.

$29 for the DLC/PS3 version and I'm tempted, but I just finished DA:O and I'm a little sour on Bioware. Is the game actually fun to play in comparison? Hard to compare the two games I realize. I want to try it given the setting, but I'm not crazy about winding up in DA: Space-Dudes either.

Any chance it breaks the typical Bioware "Go find/do these 3/4 things!" formula?

I've not played the first one, and I've been kept my distance from anything spoiler'ish over the years . So all I know its its a 3rd person shooter-type, with rpg mechanics, and in space.
If you're really interested in playing the first, I would recommend trying to find a means to do so.

I enjoy playing ME2, but I've never played DA:O. It's a mediocre shooter, but the powers help keep things from getting too boring. There's enough interesting stuff going on in individual sidequests and missions that you will probably want to keep playing.

It's not a typical RPG collection based game. Your focus is primarily based on recruiting squad members, and the only true collection based gameplay part is the planet scanning. It's pretty boring, but if you just do it as you go it shouldn't be too bad.

I was just about to say "give the demo a try". I believe there is a 2 level ME 2 demo on the PSN but I have no idea how you go about finding it (not a PS3 user). As Typographenia says this is not a traditional RPG, so there is none of that collecting stuff (god awful mining doesn't count).

In many ways Mass Effect 2 plays like a sequence of self contained levels. So you start one level finish it and move on to the next level. But try and hunt down the demo on PSN and that will at least tell you if you like the shooting mechanics.

CharmingCharlie said:
so there is none of that collecting stuff (god awful mining doesn't count).
It might as well be. You want to upgrade your weapons? Collect X amount of Iridium! You want to get this new ship upgrade? Collect X amount of platinum!

It's not the same as "go kill five rats and bring their hides to the old man," but it's pretty much the same thing, at least for ME.

Reikon

Just finished the game. I played as vanguard, which seemed ridiculously powerful with charge + the krogan shotgun. The heavy pistol was really powerful at longer distances. I was too lazy and just kept the same squadmates, Miranda and Zaeed, the whole game other than in loyalty missions. They seemed versatile enough to handle any situation.

I actually miss the elevator loading screens from ME1. The conversations were pretty funny. I don't know if it's because I had Zaeed in my group, but there was pretty much no bantering when I played. :/

Typographenia said:
It might as well be. You want to upgrade your weapons? Collect X amount of Iridium! You want to get this new ship upgrade? Collect X amount of platinum!

It's not the same as "go kill five rats and bring their hides to the old man," but it's pretty much the same thing, at least for ME.
I personally would say that the mining has more in common with the practice known as "grinding" rather than the "collecting item/s" chore that they put in games. But it could be seen either way I guess. All I know is I am damn thankful I can bypass the whole mining rubbish with the save game editor.

Bisnic

REV 09 said:
It's more for squad mates. There are a few misc mods though.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/128/index/5314761/1

be sure to download Tex Mod and follow the instructions. it isn't too difficult. Here are a few examples (sorry for size):

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/198/talicomparison.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/9569/garruscomparison.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Thanks, it does look incredibly better. The 12-15 minutes wait that the guy speak of if i take the Ultra textures kinda turn me off, so i'll go with the optimized one i guess.

Top Bottom