• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

Arjen

TSAGoodness said:
A couple of questions:

First, can I buy guns from the stores, or is it just whatever you find on your missions that gets added to your arsenal?

Second, I got the Veteran and Katsumi (sp?) but I don't plan on starting their unique missions as I know they're from the DLC. Should I be doing their missions during my regular playthrough, or wait until I beat the game to do them?

You have to find the weapons, you can buy the upgrades though/
I recommend doing their loyalty missions during your regular playtrhough, not afterwards.

Arjen said:
You have to find the weapons, you can buy the upgrades though/
I recommend doing their loyalty missions during your regular playtrhough, not afterwards.

Thanks good to know! When should I be doing the Overlord mission?

Wallach

TSAGoodness said:
Second, I got the Veteran and Katsumi (sp?) but I don't plan on starting their unique missions as I know they're from the DLC. Should I be doing their missions during my regular playthrough, or wait until I beat the game to do them?

You should do all of the DLC before you complete the game. I personally tend to do all of the DLC as early as I can to get the most out of what can be earned through them.

Mr_Zombie

TSAGoodness said:

You should do Kasumi's and Zaed's loyality mission during your regular playthrough; by doing those mission you unlock the fourth ability for those characters. Also, you can find new weapons during those missions.

Patryn

Wallach said:
You should do all of the DLC before you complete the game. I personally tend to do all of the DLC as early as I can to get the most out of what can be earned through them.

Well, a lot of people feel that Lair of the Shadow Broker was designed to happen after the end of the game. But it works either way.

Wallach

Patryn said:
Well, a lot of people feel that Lair of the Shadow Broker was designed to happen after the end of the game. But it works either way.

I could see it that way. From a gameplay standpoint though you miss out on quite a bit if you don't have any content to go through after it's over.

This DLC is amaaazing. And I have to say, I fucking love Thane Krios. Assassin? Check. Badass clothing? Check. Badass alien design? Check. Intimidating voice? Check.

Bernbaum

So here I am, scanning and stripping every planet I find of its resources, only to learn there's no achievement or benefit for doing so.

I'm late-game (Pre-IFF), have about 80-90% of the techs, and about >250k each for Palladium, Iridium and Platinum; and ~80K Element Zero, yet I'm still doing this!

I LOVE SCANNING!

^ lol, damn, your over doing it :)

~Devil Trigger~ said:
ummmmmm What is the Fuck?

Have this happened to anyone on PS3?

http://i.imgur.com/f2HTu.jpgIMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/DrUf8.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/y40kl.jpg[IMG]

its fine again, but I had to quit game.

is it my PS3 or a glitch?[/QUOTE]
Your not the only one having this problem. Its done it a few times on my slim, after exiting the game and starting it back up again it clears up. Looks like a patch is needed for a few things.

[QUOTE=Patryn]Well, a lot of people feel that Lair of the Shadow Broker was designed to happen after the end of the game. But it works either way.[/QUOTE]
For the story it works better post end game, but for the loot its way more beneficial before the end.

X-Frame

Bernbaum said:
So here I am, scanning and stripping every planet I find of its resources, only to learn there's no achievement or benefit for doing so.

I'm late-game (Pre-IFF), have about 80-90% of the techs, and about >250k each for Palladium, Iridium and Platinum; and ~80K Element Zero, yet I'm still doing this!

I LOVE SCANNING!

Yikes.

You only really need to scan the Rich planets, not all of them -- but if you like it ..

X-Frame said:
Yikes.

You only really need to scan the Rich planets, not all of them -- but if you like it ..

You can find some side-quests by scanning certain planets, though.
I thought it was worth it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Zombie James said:
You can find some side-quests by scanning certain planets, though.
I thought it was worth it.
It tells you the second you bring up the planet view if there's a mission on it. You don't need to scan if you don't get the notice.

Bernbaum

Okay, recruited everyone except
Legion - I'm yet to do the IFF mission
and I've got them all loyal, including
Miranda and Jack after their argument

Sooooo... how confident can I be that I'll
be able to get everyone to survive?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Bernbaum said:

That's basically it.

Neki

Bernbaum said:

As long as you pick the right characters for the right parts, you're good.

braves01

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Something wrong with my eyes or does the PS3 version have a ton of jaggies?

I noticed it, too. I picked up the game on whim after trying the demo on a friend's 360, and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with how it looks thus far. I didn't even make it through the prologue before the game froze up on me for the first time...

Bernbaum

RE: Ending

The game stays open after the 'end' right? I'm keen to scan every planet and do every little sidequest once it's done. Will everything still be open and accessible? Hoping to get Shep to lvl 30

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Bernbaum said:

The game stays open after the 'end' right? I'm keen to scan every planet and do every little sidequest once it's done. Will everything still be open and accessible? Hoping to get Shep to lvl 30

Yep.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I still have this game chillin in the wrapping. Got it from amazon for like 13 bucks. Where is the cheapest place to get the first game. I really want to play through that first but I would feel stupid paying more for ME1 than ME2

Neki

MThanded said:
I still have this game chillin in the wrapping. Got it from amazon for like 13 bucks. Where is the cheapest place to get the first game. I really want to play through that first but I would feel stupid paying more for ME1 than ME2
I was browsing EB games and they were selling it for sub 10 dollars. (used, Canada) ;o Not sure if EB exists in the states.

Yasae

Banned
kai3345 said:
Ok, PC version here. I've got every graphical setting set to max but for some reason I keep getting this weird (and ugly) choppy bloom around characters. Anyone know how to fix this?
That's how the game looks AFAIK. No fix.

Takuan

I just started this after having beaten ME1 last weekend.

The game is better in every conceivable way. Love the changes to weapons, the removal of inventory management, the new characters I've come across so far (just Mordin, but I also recruited Garrus), and graphics. I've only been to Omega, and it's so much livelier than any area I can recall from ME1.

Takuan said:
I just started this after having beaten ME1 last weekend.

The game is better in every conceivable way. Love the changes to weapons, the removal of inventory management, the new characters I've come across so far (just Mordin, but I also recruited Garrus), and graphics. I've only been to Omega, and it's so much livelier than any area I can recall from ME1.
I just beat ME2 and am starting over. apparently it took me 50 hours, but I finished *everything*...and I've been playing it on and off since it came out for PC, so I barely remember the beginning.

But I was thinking about how much better than ME1 it is along the way. Literally every aspect of the game is better. The only thing I missed was being able to wander around the Citadel more. But everything is much more fluid and natural in ME2. It was very well done.

kai3345

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
also, is it just me or does half of Tron Legacy's soundtrack sound like something that *should have* been in ME2?
More like other way around. All of the club songs from ME2 should have been in TRON

Bernbaum said:

Yeah you can, though if you want you can also play a new game + and continue using the same shep.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm trying to figure this out...
what's the deal with this 50,000 years bs and the reapers?

I've been reading through the codex to see how they can explain evolution reseeding the entire universe in so short a span of time... then I thought, well maybe they just ignore evolution... but the game doesn't. There are references over and over to biological evolution (for example: Krogan's natural resistance to the genophage) that makes it seem the 50,000 years thing didn't get much thought from the writers. I read one reference to protheans possibly kick-starting/guiding the process but it doesn't make any sense. They were all dead. And, there's still evidence that life has existed for billions of years... it doesn't come and go in 50,000 year cycles.

What am I missing here? Do they even try to explain this anywhere?

I actually quite like the story otherwise.

Patryn

recklessmind said:

I've been reading through the codex to see how they can explain evolution reseeding the entire universe in so short a span of time... then I thought, well maybe they just ignore evolution... but the game doesn't. There are references over and over to biological evolution (for example: Krogan's natural resistance to the genophage) that makes it seem the 50,000 years thing didn't get much thought from the writers. I read one reference to protheans possibly kick-starting/guiding the process but it doesn't make any sense. They were all dead. And, there's still evidence that life has existed for billions of years... it doesn't come and go in 50,000 year cycles.

They only harvest species that have achieved interstellar travel. All the species that were still developing on their own planets, no matter how advanced, were left alone.

So basically, they only harvested those planets that were part of the Protheans' empire.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
recklessmind said:

What Acidote and Patryn said.
They only harvest the most advanced and dominating species in the galaxy. Primitive speices, like humans would have been when the Protheans were wiped out, would not have been targeted.

Evolved1

Ok... was that explained in ME1? It's been so long since I played the first one. Too bad they aren't a little more clear about it at the beginning of ME2 because I distinctly remember a quote (maybe it was shepard) about
the reapers wiping out "all biological life".

Patryn

recklessmind said:
Ok... was that explained in ME1? It's been so long since I played the first one. Too bad they aren't a little more clear about it at the beginning of ME2 because I distinctly remember a quote (maybe it was shepard) about
the reapers wiping out "all biological life".

If they said all biological life, then they misspoke about the extent. In fact, they did, because it's explicitly said that they left a lot of the indoctrinated Protheans behind, who were mindless and died unable to take care of themselves.

zam

Bernbaum said:

Just make sure you either send Mordin back to the ship, or take him with you into the final fight. I had everyone loyal and sent the right people for each job, yet he wound up dead in the end.

Patryn

zam said:
Just make sure you either send Mordin back to the ship, or take him with you into the final fight. I had everyone loyal and sent the right people for each job, yet he wound up dead in the end.

Actually he's safe on the line as long as Grunt and either Zaeed or Garrus are there as well. Even better with all three.

zam

Patryn said:
Actually he's safe on the line as long as Grunt and either Zaeed or Garrus are there as well. Even better with all three.
Well I took Garrus with me, and since I borrowed the game from a friend I didn't have Zaeed. Still thought it was bullshit that
Mordin randomly died even when I had everyone loyal and sent everyone for the right job

Evolved1

Question: with regard to achievements/trophies... can "romance" be totally avoided and still 100% the game & get full loyalty? I find that part pretty corny.

I like the relationships Shepard has with the crew, but the dating sim stuff not so much.

Also... playing as a paragon it's pretty hard to discern the conversation options that lead to paragon points from those that lead to suddenly slutty shepard. I accidentally go down the wrong conversations path all the time haha.

And last question: can a paragon get full loyalty on all crew members and vice versa?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
recklessmind said:
And last question: can a paragon get full loyalty on all crew members and vice versa?

Yes.

recklessmind said:
Question: with regard to achievements/trophies... can "romance" be totally avoided and still 100% the game & get full loyalty? I find that part pretty corny.

I like the relationships Shepard has with the crew, but the dating sim stuff not so much.

Also... playing as a paragon it's pretty hard to discern the conversation options that lead to paragon points from those that lead to suddenly slutty shepard. I accidentally go down the wrong conversations path all the time haha.

If the trophies are the same as the achievements, you'll need to romance a crewmember other than Kelly to get 100%. Romance does not affect loyalty.

Paragon and Renegade can both get full loyalty, but
there are a few "crisis moments" where you'll need either a high paragon or high renegade score to please both party members

So I got the PS3 version and downloaded The Cerberus Network with my code off PSN. How do I get the free DLC bonus content you're supposed to get (Zaeed, Hammerhead vehicle etc)? Or did I download with Cerberus?

If I remember rightly ? on the 360, you logged in-game and it brought up a console on the right of the main menu, but it just says "connected to EA servers" and can only select game and extras on this screen. I thought you could access the Network on this screen.

Also how do you get the bonus missions? After you complete the game?

Thanks.

Patryn

Katana_Strikes said:
So I got the PS3 version and downloaded The Cerberus Network with my code off PSN. How do I get the free DLC bonus content you're supposed to get (Zaeed, Hammerhead vehicle etc)? Or did I download with Cerberus?

If I remember rightly ? on the 360, you logged in-game and it brought up a console on the right of the main menu, but it just says "connected to EA servers" and can only select game and extras on this screen. I thought you could access the Network on this screen.

Also how do you get the bonus missions? After you complete the game?

Thanks.

All the bonus missions except Shadow Broker show up and are available as soon as you have access to the Galaxy Map.

Shadow Broker shows up after you have access to Illium and
talk to Liara
, I believe.

Neki

recklessmind said:

I always thought most Paragon conversation options were always in the top right when possible, otherwise, you go with what sounds like a paragon conversation.

Top Bottom