• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

Dreamer RD

Challenges are good, but they should fix bugs at least. Game crashed for 6 time already (ps3) and lot of friends also having that crap.

Xevren

Is it worse for other players than for the Drell player? It's certainly a little annoying, but it's never been so bad that it makes me want to stop playing...

Especially when everything you touch just explodes.

Yes, it's much worse. Playing with Drell Adepts can be utterly terrible because of it.

X-Frame

I'm getting close to have all classes at 20. Vanguard at 17, Engineer at 16 and Soldier at 2. Yeah... i'm not sure i wanna play the boring class.

Krogan Soldier spec'ed for Melee Damage man!! So much fun.

Ignore Carnage and max all the other skills and you'll do very well provided you stick with your team and don't go off alone trying to melee Brutes.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Ignore Carnage and max all the other skills and you'll do very well provided you stick with your team and don't go off alone trying to melee Brutes.

I still have 0 krogan classes... Are they unique to the spectre packs? Only been buying premium veteran ones so far.

I still have 0 krogan classes... Are they unique to the spectre packs? Only been buying premium veteran ones so far.

Krogan Sentinel and Krogan Soldier are rare unlocks. A Spectre pack guarantees you a rare unlock, whereas with Veteran/Premium Veteran you only have a chance for a rare unlock. If you really want a Krogan, you should probably buy Spectre packs.

Dreamer RD

So many retarded players on Gold. 2 Asari Vanguards joined, thought they would help stopping the Phantoms. Hell no, better charging into guardians alone and dying like 5 times in 1 minute.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope they don't patch the Salarian Engineer's Decoy ability. It's amazing for team play, especially during objectives on Gold. It can take more than 1500 hit points of damage I feel too. Immune to fire and melee for sure.

Ignore Carnage? Whaa? You crazy? Carnage is one of my favorite skills in the game, and works perfectly with my Krogan Soldier. A maxed out Carnage is super powerful and a great set-up to use before melee.

I wouldn't use a Krogan Soldier without it.

Cat Party

I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope they don't patch the Salarian Engineer's Decoy ability. It's amazing for team play, especially during objectives on Gold. It can take more than 1500 hit points of damage I feel too. Immune to fire and melee for sure.

Having more than one on a team is great, too. Makes extraction or hacking so much easier. I wonder what would happen if you had a team of 4 of them? They also have powers to deal with armor and shields/barriers, so what would the weakness be?

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta say...concussive shotting an enemy every 2 seconds gives me a pretty good feeling. Reminds me of the hallway scene in Terminator 2 weirdly enough.

Shoot T-1000 = No lasting damage, staggered for 2 seconds.
Concussive Shot enemy = No lasting damage, staggered for 2 seconds.

Yeah, I can see how endless concussive shots can remind you of that scene. :D

No way! Ignore the Inferno Grenades. They are ok, but Carnage is better. Imo

Having more than one on a team is great, too. Makes extraction or hacking so much easier. I wonder what would happen if you had a team of 4 of them? They also have powers to deal with armor and shields/barriers, so what would the weakness be?

Haha we should try that.

I'm thinking out loud here, but 2 Salarian Engies + 2 adepts (Either 2 asari or Asari + Drell) would be amazing on Gold. Non stop damage without much stress from enemies.

X-Frame

Ignore Carnage? Whaa? You crazy? Carnage is one of my favorite skills in the game, and works perfectly with my Krogan Soldier. A maxed out Carnage is super powerful and a great set-up to use before melee.

I wouldn't use a Krogan Soldier without it.

No way! Ignore the Inferno Grenades. They are ok, but Carnage is better. Imo

Haha, well I can see both sides in how to spec him but I ignore the cool down completely on my Krogan as I carry 2 heavy weapons.

I'd have a -100% CD and if I took Carnage I'd never use it, but I can see it if people used a light weapon on their Krogan and spammed Carnage.

Wait, is there some rumor that they are going to nerf it?

Salarian Engineer with my N7 Valiant is the only way I can play anymore.

How should I skill Salarian Engineer and Drell Adept?

How I went:

Max out decoy for tanking.

Max out shield drain to give you full shields.

Get five levels of incinerate (damage and cooldown is my preference).

Max out Salarian tree for the sweet sniper rifle weight reduction.

Get a couple points in fitness for some shields and health.

Stantron

Beat gold wave 10 objectives three times last night with randoms (2 adept, 1 sent) while playing my Quarian Infiltrator + Widow. It's good when you can get good team chemistry. No extractions, but did enough to get the credits. I'm really digging this class. Head shots galore. And I like how it plays different than other classes. Bioware did a pretty good job making things well balanced for the most part.
With my last specter pack, I got the Krogan Sentinel, which was the last class I was missing. I also got a sweet heavy pistol mod to do more damage to armor.

Beat gold wave 10 objectives three times last night with randoms (2 adept, 1 sent) while playing my Quarian Infiltrator + Widow. It's good when you can get good team chemistry. No extractions, but did enough to get the credits. I'm really digging this class. Head shots galore. And I like how it plays different than other classes. Bioware did a pretty good job making things well balanced for the most part.
With my last specter pack, I got the Krogan Sentinel, which was the last class I was missing. I also got a sweet heavy pistol mod to do more damage to armor.

I guess the widow plays like the Mantis but you can shoot through cover right ?

Even with that, I feel it's shooting way to slower for my taste. For now, Viper offers best balance between power and fire rate

Stantron

I guess the widow plays like the Mantis but you can shoot through cover right ?

Even with that, I feel it's shooting way to slower for my taste. For now, Viper offers best balance between power and fire rate

I had armor piercing on each round, but yeah, I think that it goes through cover as base. I also like the Viper. I played a bunch with that in the demo. But the Quarian Infiltrator is designed around a one shot sniper rifle since it gives a 40% damage bonus if you snipe out of camo. You definitely need to make your shots count though. I also went with +20% head shot damage. This play style feels so rewarding when you can get into a groove.

Have no idea if its too late, but started on this last night.

PSN: kaioshade if OP is still taking names down.

I'm a level 16 human Sentinel, and I feel like I'm just playing the game wrong. Sentinel is a shit class I think; I should have used Adept or Vanguard. I'm down to play with GAFers who know what they're doing; I'm on 360, Nelsonkildyu.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
What are peoples' general thoughts on the Javelin? I used it for a little on my Salarian Infiltrator, and the thing is awesome. I just started using sniper rifles, really. I have a Widow II and a Mantis X, too.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Now that I've hit 20 with Turian Soldier, I'm content to never play the class again. Ugh

Playing human spamhard now and its pretty ridiculous...
I want a Black Widow. Not that I dislike white ones...
Oh you :3

Haha, well I can see both sides in how to spec him but I ignore the cool down completely on my Krogan as I carry 2 heavy weapons.

I'd have a -100% CD and if I took Carnage I'd never use it, but I can see it if people used a light weapon on their Krogan and spammed Carnage.

I carry a Geth Plasma Shotgun and a Carnifex, but even with the subpar cooldowns, i still use Carnage over the Grenades. They just do not seem that strong. I like the Lift Grenades on my Krogan Sentinel much better. Lift em high then blast them with the Widow.

DY_nasty

Nah, man. A Turian soldier with maxed out Marksman + a fast firing weapon (Revenant, Phaeston) = bullet hail

Naw, it still sucks. Its great on Bronze when you can turn an enemy inside out in a just under a second - but even in Silver it doesn't measure up to other skils. There is zero mobility, you're essentially begging to get earholed, you're pretty much required to throw on a ammo boost, and you have to sacrifice a mod slot to clip capacity.

Proximity mines suck and Concussion Shot is... not as good as it should be.

I just unlocked the salarian engineer and started off at lvl 15 (spectre pack ahoy)

I really love the power combinations, makes you feel like you can take anything on!

Woo-Fu

Banned
Naw, it still sucks. Its great on Bronze when you can turn an enemy inside out in a just under a second - but even in Silver it doesn't measure up to other skils. There is zero mobility, you're essentially begging to get earholed, you're pretty much required to throw on a ammo boost, and you have to sacrifice a mod slot to clip capacity.

Proximity mines suck and Concussion Shot is... not as good as it should be.

By that logic nobody should play anything beside Adept, when it comes to silver and gold. I've led the scoreboard in silver matches with a Turian Soldier so it isn't completely worthless---although my teammates might have been.

It is that same pervasive mentality that Bioware is using to target nerfs.

Everybody is using cloaking saboteurs to crush Geth on Gold? Nerf sabotage and buff the Geth.

Everybody is using Falcon to clean up in Bronze and Silver, particularly with low-level characters? Nerf the Falcon to oblivion.

Next up on the min/maxer popularity nerf-me-now list is probably Decoy, with the Carnifex and biotic explosions not far behind.

If you want to perfect a strategy or tactic, I suggest you aim for a hair short of optimal, just so nobody else uses it which will keep them from nerfing it out from under you.

I've been testing out my mid-tier Drell Adept the last couple nights. I pumped all my points into Reave, and only just have had enough in my last few level ups to increase things like health/sheilds/power and cluster bombs. Reave is really effective when I can work with at least one other character - it's easy to get 1 or 2 shotted with this particular build.

Weapon-wise, I'm stuck with the Avenger VI as my most powerful weapon. It feels like a pea-shooter.

EekTheKat

I swear the community for this game is the worst I've seen in a long, long time. People kicking others because they don't like their choice of weapons. People kicking because "Drell Adept sucks ....they die all the time.".

People kicking because I don't play an infiltrator. people kicking because I play an infiltrator.

and then there's the voice chat. People playing on silver and gold barking out commands like a sergeant that goes against common sense. ( "GET TO THE EXTRACT GO GO GO!" when there's 2:00 minutes left on the clock, and then blaming everyone for failing when the team of 3 snipers with Mantis and Widows could not hold the extract position ).

then there's the guy flirting with some woman playing an Asari Vanguard, taking every moment possible to boast his superiority over the rest of the squad, while the "grunts" captured all the objectives and did all the dirty work to keep the match going.

Or people not realizing how the spawning mechanism works in this game, demanding you to fall into place and hole up in a place that requires you to cover all directions.

voice chat in this game serves to only distract me from what's actually happening on screen.

The best are the hate messages I get when my PS3 locks up ( which does happen on the PS3 version of this game), or if there is a network/server issue.

To them, I must enjoy playing only 8 rounds and quit without staying for the xp/credits at the end of the match.

Weapon-wise, I'm stuck with the Avenger VI as my most powerful weapon. It feels like a pea-shooter.

I've got Avenger VIII, and I tried it last night for the first time since launch when I only had the Avenger I. I was somewhat surprised. It still sucks, but the Avenger VIII a lot better than the Avenger I (with a few added mods: clip capacity and stability). You could do worse.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Man oh man, was crushing some Gold matches today on a hot streak with a friend and two other strangers today - me and him with the Salarian Engineer, and the other two were Adepts.

No one even died, at all. Full Extraction everytime. Can't remember when I saw such a streak on Silver with living. And just because of that, once I get all these characters to Level 20 again and do whatever the challenge is for the weekend, I'll never promote them again I think. Plus I was tearing it up with my Level 19 Drell Adept the first two games, and then when he hit Level 20 I switched him over to the Salarian who was Level 17.

lol why does the drell adept get picked on?

Drell Adept is fun as hell, love using him much more than the Asari, and how he just moves through the level like the assassin that he is.

DY_nasty

By that logic nobody should play anything beside Adept, when it comes to silver and gold. I've led the scoreboard in silver matches with a Turian Soldier so it isn't completely worthless---although my teammates might have been.

It is that same pervasive mentality that Bioware is using to target nerfs.

Everybody is using cloaking saboteurs to crush Geth on Gold? Nerf sabotage and buff the Geth.

Everybody is using Falcon to clean up in Bronze and Silver, particularly with low-level characters? Nerf the Falcon to oblivion.

Next up on the min/maxer popularity nerf-me-now list is probably Decoy, with the Carnifex and biotic explosions not far behind.

If you want to perfect a strategy or tactic, I suggest you aim for a hair short of optimal, just so nobody else uses it which will keep them from nerfing it out from under you.
Its not even about a perfect strategy.

Its the fact that they can only handle enemies directly in front of them and they can't take any kind of uprooting pressure at all from the sides. Concussion shot isn't stopping anyone and Proximity Mines don't keep you from getting flanked. They're only good at killing what is directly in front of them at a decent distance away.

Woo-Fu

Banned
They're only good at killing what is directly in front of them at a decent distance away.

Which is true for most classes. How do you kill something standing behind you? You get out of there and turn to face it. I do that with every class, not just soldier, lol. NOTE: I don't play human vanguard at all.

Range doesn't matter, if you think it does you're using the wrong weapon for the job. Revenant+Tempest + full marksmanship allows you to kill anything at any range.

The only real issue the Turian Soldier has is that he can't strip shields or barrier for shit without using a 1-round equipment buff. Of course teamwork can take care of that but it is still a weakness any class with biotic/tech doesn't have.

DY_nasty

Which is true for most classes. How do you kill something standing behind you? You get out of there and turn to face it. I do that with every class, not just soldier, lol. NOTE: I don't play human vanguard at all.
No its... not. The lack of mobility is a killer. Turian Soldier is nothing but a glorified turret.
Range doesn't matter, if you think it does you're using the wrong weapon for the job. Revenant+Tempest + full marksmanship allows you to kill anything at any range.

The only real issue the Turian Soldier has is that he can't strip shields or barrier for shit without using a 1-round equipment buff. Of course teamwork can take care of that but it is still a weakness any class with biotic/tech doesn't have.
Markmanship is great at anything but close range. Once something gets in the kitchen, they can't even bail out properly.

Almost every class has versatility. The Turian Soldier is only good for one thing - aiming down sights and praying for support from other classes.

Top Bottom