• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

EekTheKat

The game changer for both Turians for me at least is the Armor piercing mod for the assault rifle.

Using a Revenant + Marksmanship to shoot through an a guardian to kill the targets behind him can be highly useful at certain chokepoints.

Its not even about a perfect strategy.

Its the fact that they can only handle enemies directly in front of them and they can't take any kind of uprooting pressure at all from the sides. Concussion shot isn't stopping anyone and Proximity Mines don't keep you from getting flanked. They're only good at killing what is directly in front of them at a decent distance away.

My big problem with Turian Soldier is that Marksman needs to be on all the time, else any other class with the same assault rifle would bring more to the table.

But if you have MM on all the time, then you can't really use the underwhelming prox mines or concussions.

And I agree, even with MM on, it doesn't feel powerful. Part of the problem is that because the game is built on fighting from range or cover, there isn't an incentive to being a straight up assault class. Everyone dies relatively quickly on the front lines, and headshots from sniper rifles come pretty easily from any decent distance. And if you're on a smaller map, I can get rid of the sniper rifle and grab a Carnifex (and spam more abilities).

I think that if there was a way to "chain" marksman (maybe refreshing the duration when you got a kill?) and for you turn it off when you want to use another ability or go on the move it would add a lot of usefulness.

Kyoufu

Reave noise doesn't even bother me. People going off on their own and dying does.

Yep.

Another thing that bothers me is I get no backup from the team when I Charge into a pack of enemies. Can't stress enough how easy Gold runs would be if people just attacked the enemies I'm tanking on Human Spamhard. :(

Woo-Fu

Banned
No its... not. The lack of mobility is a killer. Turian Soldier is nothing but a glorified turret.
Markmanship is great at anything but close range. Once something gets in the kitchen, they can't even bail out properly.

Almost every class has versatility. The Turian Soldier is only good for one thing - aiming down sights and praying for support from other classes.

What lack of mobility? Does your A/Spacebar not work when you play Turian Soldier? You're not as fast as some classes, but then again you have twice as much shield as they do and 50% more HP.

I really don't understand your complaints because the issues you're talking about aren't issues I've had playing Turian Soldier and my N7 rank is 500+ and 95% of my soldiering has been on Turian.

I particularly don't understand your problem with close-range fighting, which in my experience is where the class is most devastating because you can put every round you shoot on their head. Stuff that has me looking for cover when playing other classes has me holding down the fire button, aiming at their head and walking *towards* them. Anything with a stagger animation is easy meat.

Think your personal preferences---high mobility---might be getting in the way of an objective analysis when it comes the class. :)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Got a Quarian Engineer out of a spectre pack... i want a krogan class dammit. I'm happy enough with my Salarian Engineer. Energy Drain and Decoy for life!

When did you stop buying Recruit packs? I've made a spreadsheet with my unlocks and I've maxed out the guns but not the mods. However, I've been getting a lot of character mods recently.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
What lack of mobility? Does your A/Spacebar not work when you play Turian Soldier? You're not as fast as some classes, but then again you have twice as much shield as they do and 50% more HP.

I really don't understand your complaints because the issues you're talking about aren't issues I've had playing Turian Soldier and my N7 rank is 500+ and 95% of my soldiering has been on Turian.

I particularly don't understand your problem with close-range fighting, which in my experience is where the class is most devastating because you can put every round you shoot on their head. Stuff that has me looking for cover when playing other classes has me holding down the fire button, aiming at their head and walking *towards* them. Anything with a stagger animation is easy meat.

Think your personal preferences---high mobility---might be getting in the way of an objective analysis when it comes the class. :)

Banshee coming straight at you - you have to turn and run. That's my issue. That turn opens you up to a lot of different kinds of asswhoopins... If I'm built for Choke Point of Doom, then MM better kick more ass. A Banshee or multiple Brutes or Primes coming directly at me and... what is there to do? Every other class has the versatility to do something other than its primary role. I can't just dodge to the side, gather, then keep it moving. The melee is terrible. The other powers are just plain crappy - Proximity Mines don't stop anything worth mentioning and Concussion Shot isn't even worth using because, as someone said before, you need MM to be on almost constantly.

Its not so much the lack of mobility, but generally the lack of options as a whole. Turian Soldier is average to above average at one thing - and terrible at everything else.

edit: that extra health means little more than you survive getting slapped around longer as you get earholed for looking down sights too long with MM

Mr2day

When did you stop buying Recruit packs? I've made a spreadsheet with my unlocks and I've maxed out the guns but not the mods. However, I've been getting a lot of character mods recently.

I did it when I maxed out the guns. I was having the same problem where all I would get were character cards. Usually with the veteran packs I get one of the common mods per pack along with shiny uncommon loots.

Cobra84

Until they nerf decoy tomorrow!

At the rate the are nerfing (and not really buffing anything except for the enemies), smgs may be considered relatively decent in a month. I wish they would spend time balancing and not making everything awful in order to sell more Bioware points.

After I finished the blue common guns, I never once got a weapon mod from at least 15 recruit packs. I gave up and used veteran packs and had no problem getting the mods.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You know, it's only because of the microtransactions that I feel like they're nerfing powers and weapons only to stop farming.

Cobra84

You know, it's only because of the microtransactions that I feel like they're nerfing powers and weapons only to stop farming.

That, along with the low credit gains, high cost of packs, repeat character cards, awful pack randomization, and the need to get every item 5-10 times make their motives obvious.

X-Frame

First game of the night, an N7 Rank 1 as a Soldier joined a Bronze game when I was trying to level up my Vanguard and in the first round he fired a missile at 1 Cannibal.

I knew it was going to be a good game from then on ..

rozay

Banned
First game of the night, an N7 Rank 1 as a Soldier joined a Bronze game when I was trying to level up my Vanguard and in the first round he fired a missile at 1 Cannibal.

hahahaha rank 1 characters are funny. I don't understand why people try to kick them from bronze games though, that just kills all the fun.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Mass Effect Multiplayer has taught me N7 rank is no way, shape or form indicative of how good someone is. I've seen useful level 2s and complete piss offs of 600-900s.

eek5

Hah! Yesterday we were waiting on a 4th person and a guy joins in with a ton of background noise on his mic so I was going to boot him but then he loaded in and he was a level 20 human engineer so I figured I could just mute him and he would be useful by spamming chain overload.

Match starts and we all go to the bottom on White and I tell him over the mic to come down. He dies at the top of the ladder and I shrug it off. It's only wave 1 so we can clear it without him..

NOPE. He uses a medigel, runs down and casts a combat drone. (I never see another combat drone after this).

I didn't see him use a single overload the entire game either. He medigeled another 2 times while right next to me and used 4 missiles by wave 5.

Worst maxed random ever..

..are they really doing that? Or are they just fixing its health?

It's only a matter of time before they nerf decoy, biotic explosions, geth plasma shotgugn, overload, etc.

Have to balance out everything with the human soldier to make that competitive. Wait what

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Finally beat the last level I needed for Gold, it was that bitch-of-a-level Firebase Reactor with that damn ammo box that seems to be the only one in the game that actually runs out of ammo.

It was me as a Salarian Engineer, along with another Salarian Engineer, and two Salarian Infiltrators - the Salarian Stopping Crew. The guy had it on Geth, and we did it goooood man - lockdown on each side with a Decoy, big damage with Cloak Widows. Ran into some huge crowds, but we never died, full extraction and all.

Saved up 400,000 credits, and what do I get with my first one after purposely going from my Salarian Engineer to a character with a pistol in the menu? FINALLY the Carnifex!

YES.

Abylim

Holy shit! I was on the phone with a buddy whilst Spamharding it up on bronze, and I get screamed at by some mouth breather online. I wasnt in the hack, I didnt realise. So I run back to the hack, he yells at me some more, then leaves.

...wow. I didnt get his PSN, but wow. It's a fucking bronze bro.

I also got a lovely message from a level 6 vanguard my friend and I kicked from a gold on the weekend. Jesus Christ.

Troll

Banned
Finally beat the last level I needed for Gold, it was that bitch-of-a-level Firebase Reactor with that damn ammo box that seems to be the only one in the game that actually runs out of ammo.

It was me as a Salarian Engineer, along with another Salarian Engineer, and two Salarian Infiltrators - the Salarian Stopping Crew. The guy had it on Geth, and we did it goooood man - lockdown on each side with a Decoy, big damage with Cloak Widows. Ran into some huge crowds, but we never died, full extraction and all.

Saved up 400,000 credits, and what do I get with my first one after purposely going from my Salarian Engineer to a character with a pistol in the menu? FINALLY the Carnifex!

YES.

Congrats! I am still waiting for one... Carnifex means "butcher" in Latin btw.

Just beat gold with two randoms (arguably three randoms :p). Geth, FB Dagger. Feels good man. I've got 190,000 credits saved up for the (hopefully good) next special pack.

Asari Adept and Widow + would be nice

Xevren

Good players are probably worn out from grinding out credits

That's what I'm feeling like right now, think I'm gonna take it easy. I've pretty much only played with randoms from the get go. I still love the multiplayer, I hope we get more classes and unlocks to get at some point.

Well I have spent quite a few space bucks and a significant amount of time to get this far, but still haven't gotten the stupid Black Widow. It's 1 of 2 things I have yet to unlock. Wtf.

e121b8a5.jpg

eek5

Well I have spent quite a few space bucks and a significant amount of time to get this far, but still haven't gotten the stupid Black Widow. It's 1 of 2 things I have yet to unlock. Wtf.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c134/erikeoleson/e121b8a5.jpg[/mg][/QUOTE]

I know that feel bro.

[img]http://www.4mul8.net/up/files/2011_6rtys/somanypacks.jpg

I've opened up a ... lot of packs. Still missing some of the N7 weapons which blows my mind.

I think I have like 13 respec cards lol

I started off the evening joining a session with 3 brand new MP players. Level 1-3 Human Male Soldiers, and me, a level 18 Drell Adept (which I've just started playing with, so I'm a bit shite).

We start our first map, Firebase Glacier, and these sweet young fellows all decide to run off on their own way and charge the spawn points. At the end of Wave 3 I'd already left a couple guys to be executed - just so they learn how the game doesn't reward hyper-aggressive tactics when your build is still very weak. We made it to Wave 7 before I was overwhelmed by a bunch of turrets and Nemesis gals while trying to resuscitate JonnyGat9000, who'd charged a Cerberus turret position on his lonesome.

It was fun times! The night got better when I ran into a level 20 drell adept and a Quarian Engineer armed with the Black Widow. We were only a team of 3, and managed to pull through a Wave 10/11 Reaver/Banshee spam.

GSR

Damn, I really wish the Geth Pulse Rifle had some better firepower. Even with Marksman it's not very useful.

Mindlog

I've been playing full tech armor Human Sentinel a lot lately. Every now and then I spam a power to see if anyone figures out that I am trying to team-combo.

I found an excellent Vanguard that wanted to work together. I kept warping Atlases and he would charge them. It was great. Until it picked him up and crushed him. I laughed a little. Regular Blasto and Bubin mix.

ps I have a Carnifax V I almost never use.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Damn, I really wish the Geth Pulse Rifle had some better firepower. Even with Marksman it's not very useful.

I liked when certain guns were actually better against certain defenses. Geth Rifle in 2 melted shields.

_woLf

Is anyone getting absolutely horrendous server lag today?

edit: yeah, I just got disconnected from a game, then I got the "Welcome to the N7 Special Ops Team!" notice you get when you start MP for the first time, now it won't connect to anything.

Wow.

Top Bottom