• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Weapon balancing is weird. I find myself, in many situations, using the starter weapons at level 10 over newly unlocked stuff at much lower levels, simply because of the low weight. For example, my level 16 Asari Vanguard handles silver just fine with a Katana X.

This might change once I get stuff like the Carnifex, or until my other shit is high level, but until then *shrug*. The only exception at the moment is my Turian Soldier with a Phaeston, and my usual Infiltrator build with the Widow.

Even my Salarian Engineer is just using a starter pistol and smg at level 10. I don't even use the SMG, but I can hold both with still +200% recharge.

koji

No idea. When me and mates play, if I'm hosting, I'll just start a match set to private, and my buddy will join the game via my name on Origin (no invite, just right click -> join game). His buddy then does the same to him once he is in the game, and we're good to go.

Yeah that`s where it goes wrong, we`re never able to actually get into a game together, we can play random games just fine but not in a set team. PITA...

nm, I was able to join now, thanks for the setting it private tip, didn`t think of that!

They're probably idiots who still havent figured how that your total points are meaningless. Heck, a guy who waste his time killing tons of geths rather than hacking devices or defending the guy doing it or not standing in a "hacked in progress" zone could end up with more points than people who actually know how objectives work.

More common than what you think. 1st/2nd place scoring is for bragging rights and that's it.
I do really like that, btw.

Even my Salarian Engineer is just using a starter pistol and smg at level 10. I don't even use the SMG, but I can hold both with still +200% recharge.

Once you get a Scoped Carnifex, you don't really need anything else for the Salarian. You can keep the SMG for shits and giggles, but I had the same set-up, and I used the SMG like, twice.

Ken

Huh? Black Widow has lower damage compared to Widow/Javelin, but it has substantially higher DPS.
I don't know all the minutiae of the damage systems in this game, but the Black Widow feels weaker on armored targets than the Javelin. I'd imagine it's because the Black Widow gets damage reduction on each of its already weaker rounds while the Javelin only has damage reduction once.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Yeah that`s where it goes wrong, we`re never able to actually get into a game together, we can play random games just fine but not in a set team. PITA...

nm, I was able to join now, thanks for the setting it private tip, didn`t think of that!

One thing I've noticed is that if I've been playing for awhile I can't join friend's games even though matchmaking can put me in random games. If I restart both the game and Origin it somehow magically allows me to join friend's games.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I didn't meant dps but actual damage per bullet. Of course, with it's fire rate, the dps ends up higher
Well, the only way to really use the Widow is with the Infiltrator with cloak bonuses.

80% cloak damage + 20% headshot damage is pretty boss.

Of course, it's really only useful against the "big" targets, but man... those primes go down like nothing.

Mindlog

For the first time in a long time I used the Carnifax again. It was a Gold-Dagger-Cerberus match. Our random team was 2 Asari Adepts and 2 Infiltrators. We paired off in Adept/Infiltrator teams at either end of the structure. The map flew by relatively painlessly. We ended up dying after completing the wave 10 objective, but it was unintentionally part of the plan. The last living Salarian Infiltrator charged a group of Atlases and Phantoms trying to melee it down. I rated him a smiley face.

The moral of the story... I'm not sure if I still like using the Carnifax. I don't know what happened between demo and retail. In the demo the Carnifax was my sploosh machine. Now, I really dislike rate of fire. I'm going to give it a few more tries, but as of now I vastly prefer the PhalanX.

Shotguns:
Vanguard - Disciple
Krogan - Crusader > GPS/Claymore

I don't use choke on my Krogan GPS. At long ranges chances are you are firing into a group or something large. I'd rather have some spread. For low level GPS I used the spare clip. Once it had enough rounds I upgraded to the blade attachment.

Firebrand

What's a good sniper rifle for engineers? I have a Widow III but because of its weight I find myself using the Mantis X more.

Thinking of maybe grabbing the -30% sniper rifle weight if I respec / promote my engineers this weekend, so I can use the Widow.

eek5

What's a good sniper rifle for engineers? I have a Widow III but because of its weight I find myself using the Mantis X more.

Thinking of maybe grabbing the -30% sniper rifle weight if I respec / promote my engineers this weekend, so I can use the Widow.

I just use a geth plasma shotgun. It does similar damage and you don't need to really aim it so you can keep spamming your powers as fast as possible

I don't know all the minutiae of the damage systems in this game, but the Black Widow feels weaker on armored targets than the Javelin. I'd imagine it's because the Black Widow gets damage reduction on each of its already weaker rounds while the Javelin only has damage reduction once.

Javelin X is dealing twice more damage per bullet than base Black Widow

Woo-Fu

Banned
All these posts about the GPS, wonder what is next on the nerf list? :)

As far as engineer sniper rifles go I've been using the N7 Valiant now and then, I kind of like it.

Omega

Banned
I got the N7 shotgun and I'm honestly not sure how it's supposed to be used. The accuracy is absolutely absurd, it's pretty much as accurate as a sniper rifle and the damage is pretty high. But it's got maximum weight. I just don't see which class could utilize something like that.

Shotguns only seem useful for Krogans. They all weigh a ton and at least with the Krogan you can them a little lighter.

How long are these equipment packs going to be available? I have almost no rockets and I got 5 rockets in each of the three packs I bought. I assume Ops/Thermal Clips/Missiles/Medigel each come in 5's and then everything else is random?

Finaly unlocked the salarian engineer.

How to play it ? I never, ever played engineer (even human)

You have a Javelin X?

You should be LuckyKate.

I don't. But it's in the spreadshit from a couple of posts ago:

Capture%20d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran%202012-03-28%20%C3%A0%2022.21.22.png

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhtHmyPMLnBadGowOTYzWXpua0VLT3d3Y1A4cGxQYnc#gid=1

Alucrid

Banned
Finaly unlocked the salarian engineer.

How to play it ? I never, ever played engineer (even human)

I don't. But it's in the spreadshit from a couple of pages ago

energy drain shit

incinerate shit

use decoy to hold up enemies

equip a good pistol

edit: fuck, you have a javelin X?

energy drain shit

incinerate shit

use decoy to hold up enemies

equip a good pistol

edit: fuck, you have a javelin X?

As I though. All his powers seems useful compared to other class where I always use only two.

No I don't have Javelin X. It's from the spreadsheets

Woo-Fu

Banned
Quick matches are weird(on PC anyway). Sometime the game can search forever for a lobby. But if i just cancel the search, quickly head back to the character menu and return to search games right after that, i can find a group in 2 secs. What the hell?

That is because it isn't actually searching for most of that time. The search itself is close to instant, what it is actually doing is trying to connect to the game it found for you and failing miserably. It just never changes the message from "searching...".

That is why you'll hear mic sounds sometimes when it is still "searching".

That is also why I give it 20 seconds to find and connect and if it doesn't I cancel out and start again. If it takes longer than that to connect to somebody it is almost guaranteed to be a shitty host anyway so I don't bother.

Cat Party

For the Salarian Engineer, take decoy up to level 3 ASAP and use that religiously. Every time you get near a fire fight, toss the decoy out in between your team and the enemy, hopefully in such a way as the enemies don't see you do it.

Energy Drain is also a very useful skill. Drops shields/barriers better than any other skill, I think. It really makes phantoms into chumps.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Certain classes just make a mockery of Phantoms...

It took me playing a game of solo infiltrator to realize how godlike they can get.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

It took me playing a game of solo infiltrator to realize how godlike they can get.
Why do people play solo games? Does the game scale difficulty/number of enemies to the number of players? I've been meaning to ask this forever.

I've noticed how crucial Asari Adepts/Vanguards are when battling Cerberus purely based on Phantom control.

In matches with the above classes? No problem at all.

Matches without an Asari? Goddamn, they will fuck up your shit quick. Especially on Gold when 4-5 come out at once.

GSR

Why do people play solo games? Does the game scale difficulty/number of enemies to the number of players? I've been meaning to ask this forever.

I think it scales slightly, but not to an extreme degree. When I wound up soloing with my Krogan Sentinel last night it felt like there was a comparable number of enemies, maybe a few less.

In my case I just wound up soloing because I wanted to test out a new gun and ended up doing much better than I'd thought I would. It's a lot more fun with a team, IMO.

Asari Stasis is perhaps the best at this. So easy to land headshots when the Phantoms aren't running around.

No, it doesn't scale. I've only ever done it to try and get a Level 1 character up at least to Level 2 before trying to play with a group.

DY_nasty

I got stuck in a game where everyone got disconnected and decided to tank it out instead of quitting.

Turned out to be pretty fun. I just solo for fun at times now... don't know anything about scaling though.

Woo-Fu

Banned
One phantom is no sweat if you have a decent build. It is when you have more than one and you can't break cover without them putting you down near instantly with their ranged attack that they become a problem.

They're the #1 reason I can't listen to music while playing this game. Audio cues are crucial to avoiding a backstab.

DY_nasty

One phantom is no sweat if you have a decent build. It is when you have more than one and you can't break cover without them putting you down near instantly with their ranged attack that they become a problem.

They're the #1 reason I can't listen to music while playing this game. Audio cues are crucial to avoiding a backstab.
Yeah. Its the one you don't see that puts you down.

I've noticed how crucial Asari Adepts/Vanguards are when battling Cerberus purely based on Phantom control.

As I stated in a previous post, I like Asaris against Cerberus in general. The only things they can't Stasis are Atlases and Turrets. Phantoms are easier to handle, Nemeses are easier to handle, and Guardians are easier to handle; Stasis just owns them. In contrast, Reapers have Banshees/Brutes/Ravagers that all have armor, and Geth have Primes/Pyros with armor, and it can be difficult to Stasis a cloaked Hunter.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Tried gold for the first time with 2 friends last night. We all had level 17-20 guys and one random. Got to wave 5-6 and died each time. What's the best combo for gold?

I started using the Salarian with the shield steal ability and that seemed decent. Seems like you need 4 perfect classes to beat all gold though.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Tried gold for the first time with 2 friends last night. We all had level 17-20 guys and one random. Got to wave 5-6 and died each time. What's the best combo for gold?

I started using the Salarian with the shield steal ability and that seemed decent. Seems like you need 4 perfect classes to beat all gold though.

I think getting through Gold is more about knowing your enemy and knowing the terrain than just about build. Knowing the best cover, knowing the spawn points, knowing which routes are safe, knowing which positions are strong, which are weak, etc.

On top of that teamwork is crucial. You have to know how to cover each other, how to revive safely instead of compounding the problem by putting two down people in the same spot. Biotic combos, crowd control, falling back from positions in an organized fashion instead of getting routed, etc.

Last but not least, the ability to make almost every shot a headshot and every shot count. You can't afford to waste any DPS with the amount of units that get thrown at you in gold, you just get overwhelmed if you do.

alexel

Yea you definitely don't need the perfect team makeup in order to beat gold. Player skill and teamwork is significantly more important so just keep playing the classes you like and try to learn more about how they should play. Check out a few youtube videos if you're really lost and they should be able to point you to the right direction.

Once you get used to how each map/enemy plays out in multiplayer, gold really isn't too tough with a good team. Yesterday I was lucky enough to get matched up with 2 pretty good randoms and we beat gold Cerberus with 3: Salarian Infiltrator (me), Salarian Engineer, Drell Adept all around lvl17-20. Destroying phantoms with no Stasis baby!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Why is the store so fucking glitched? Its the 2nd time this week that i cant buy a special pack and that i see 33k credits gone for nothing. Its fucking bullshit. Using the store shouldnt be that scary.

Loving those recruit packs, just got a Salarian Engineer! Although I do hate the character cards reappearing since I got all the customization for every common character...

Why is the store so fucking glitched? Its the 2nd time this week that i cant buy a special pack and that i see 33k credits gone for nothing. Its fucking bullshit. Using the store shouldnt be that scary.

that happened to me. It kept saying the store was unavailable. Then it froze and when I logged back in I had all my money gone but the equipment was in my inventory.

Bisnic

that happened to me. It kept saying the store was unavailable. Then it froze and when I logged back in I had all my money gone but the equipment was in my inventory.

Oh right, i have 5 medigels now, when i had 0 in my last game.

Well it still is annoying to not see what i got.

_woLf

This weekend's event is going to be tough, only my adept is close to 20, she's 19 at the moment....next highest is infiltrator who is 13. Dunno if I want to play that much to get him to 20.

I really hope those leaks about adding prothean, Baterian and Geth Races/Classes are true, Id love some more maps aswell and maybe some new enemy forces Collectors and Mercs for example.

And id like to see things like the collectors rifle made available for everyone aswell as adding the Particle Rifle

No Krogan Vanguard is a baffling choice aswell

/pipedream

Also... Fucking Spectre Packs piss me off, playing bronze with my scrubby character to get them to lvl 20 only to spend 60,000 credits on a pack that gives me shit for the last 4 times is hella annoying

X-Frame

If there was a Krogan Vanguard, I wonder if they will try something different and NOT give him Biotic Charge but maybe Barrier and Slam.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I really hope those leaks about adding prothean, Baterian and Geth Races/Classes are true, Id love some more maps aswell and maybe some new enemy forces Collectors and Mercs for example.

I'd buy the shit out of this DLC, not sure if other PC players are so eager to do that. But the game is far from dead on PC, pleasantly surprised by this.

I'm currently rolling as an asari adept with maxed out stasis and throw. Feels good when there is a good sniper on the team. Also feels very valuable when phantoms drop.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

If you're paranoid, only buy things when you're not in an active lobby. I've heard of people getting a pack, inspecting the content upon which the host leaves and the pack's contents vanish along with him.

If you're paranoid, only buy things when you're not in an active lobby. I've heard of people getting a pack, inspecting the content upon which the host leaves and the pack's contents vanish along with him.

Yea this happened to me once. Especially with a Asari adept which was in it. Lost it all.:(

Bisnic

Oh i've heard about that before i even started multiplayer, i always buy when im outside a lobby.

Question about Human Vanguard. I've gotten her up to level 17, and following a guide I'm maxing Biotic Charge and Nova. However, I am reluctant to ever use Nova since it strips my barriers. So I end up just charging an enemy, shooting it a couple times, and Charging again to restore barriers. How do you Nova without coming near death all the time?

Also, does anyone else have trouble targeting Charge? Seems kind of iffy; sometimes it works well and other times I'm mashing 1 trying to get it off.

Top Bottom