• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Question about Human Vanguard. I've gotten her up to level 17, and following a guide I'm maxing Biotic Charge and Nova. However, I am reluctant to ever use Nova since it strips my barriers. So I end up just charging an enemy, shooting it a couple times, and Charging again to restore barriers. How do you Nova without coming near death all the time?

Also, does anyone else have trouble targeting Charge? Seems kind of iffy; sometimes it works well and other times I'm mashing 1 trying to get it off.

If you're having trouble targeting with Charge or getting Novas off, its a lag issue (at least imo).

Never lead with Charge.

What makes Spamhards immortal is the fact that they're virtually invulnerable during their animations. So if I'm surrounded by Cannibals and Ravagers, I can Nova and not feel shit then Charge immediately after and refill my shields. That's why Half-Blast is so important. You can Nova twice, staggering everyone around you, and in that time allow Charge to refill completely since Nova's cooldown is independent. So run in, Nova it up, Charge to refill the shields, Nova it up again... until everything around you is dead or dying.

If you're playing smart, nothing can kill you. If you're reckless, you'll get OHKO'd by everything. If you have host, nothing can kill you.

Kyoufu

If you're having trouble targeting with Charge or getting Novas off, its a lag issue (at least imo).

Never lead with Charge.

What makes Spamhards immortal is the fact that they're virtually invulnerable during their animations. So if I'm surrounded by Cannibals and Ravagers, I can Nova and not feel shit then Charge immediately after and refill my shields. That's why Half-Blast is so important. You can Nova twice, staggering everyone around you, and in that time allow Charge to refill completely since Nova's cooldown is independent. So run in, Nova it up, Charge to refill the shields, Nova it up again... until everything around you is dead or dying.

If you're playing smart, nothing can kill you. If you're reckless, you'll get OHKO'd by everything. If you have host, it nothing can kill you.

Yup. Listen to this man!

If you didn't spec into Half Blast, then you might as well try the other gender of Human Vanguard and spec into it. It's absolutely necessary.

Cat Party

Question about Human Vanguard. I've gotten her up to level 17, and following a guide I'm maxing Biotic Charge and Nova. However, I am reluctant to ever use Nova since it strips my barriers. So I end up just charging an enemy, shooting it a couple times, and Charging again to restore barriers. How do you Nova without coming near death all the time?

Also, does anyone else have trouble targeting Charge? Seems kind of iffy; sometimes it works well and other times I'm mashing 1 trying to get it off.

Did you take the double nova option? That's a big help, as you only lose half your barrier at a time, so even in those cases where someone gets a hit in, you aren't necessarily completely exposed.

EDIT: I see others have made this comment, too. Double nova, aka half blast, makes all the difference.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I just promoted my engineer like a couple days ago. Shit.

I really hope that Bioware has a big MP expansion in the hopper. I could play this game for a long ass time, but it's going to die soon from lack of actual content.

I think it'll die cause they wont get new content out quick enough (new factions, new races, new maps, new objectives). Plus the bug fixes are being held up by the fact that patching on consoles is all kinds of stupid. Plus they are also preoccupied with doing something about the stupid ending they wrote.

Khal_B

Getting really frustrated when almost every game my character becomes stuck either in the sky or below the ground, and it tends only to happen with a couple of enemy waves remaining. Before it wasn't that bad, but now it's almost every game. Really hope they find a way to fix that, because it's killing the MP for me.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Getting really frustrated when almost every game my character becomes stuck either in the sky or below the ground, and it tends only to happen with a couple of enemy waves remaining. Before it wasn't that bad, but now it's almost every game. Really hope they find a way to fix that, because it's killing the MP for me.

With vanguard? Weird, i lvled one to 20 and never got stuck anywhere.

Violet_0

Banned
Turian soldier seems worse than the others. I also unlocked all the engineers, but human engineers seem to be by far the best to me.

Has anyone found an effective use for the grenade-launching assault rifle?

DY_nasty

Turian soldier seems worse than the others. I also unlocked all the engineers, but human engineers seem to be by far the best to me.

Has anyone found an effective use for the grenade-launching assault rifle?

It was pretty great for locking down mobs before the nerf

Alucrid

Banned

Never lead with Charge.

If you're playing smart, nothing can kill you. If you're reckless, you'll get OHKO'd by everything. If you have host, nothing can kill you.

Vanguards who can only nova once make me laugh, then cry when they die every time.

Also, really Bioware? Five shots on an unmodded level 1 Javelin? That's complete shit.

X-Frame

Finally was able to find some good groups of guys who accepted me as a Salarian Infiltrator with my GPS III on Gold. I managed 2nd pretty much every game. Not bad for me just starting out on Gold.

Also, it really is noticeable how much more difficult the games are when there's no Decoy. We managed to win every game tonight on various maps without one, but it was tough. 35 minute games minimum.

My reward was I think 4 Spectre Packs -- each giving me complete shit. I feel like just stacking up on the Equipment Pack, even though I use my equipment to help me get through Gold to get me credits to buy Spectre Packs .. errr.

Khal_B

With vanguard? Weird, i lvled one to 20 and never got stuck anywhere.

Yeah, I run with mostly Vanguard, but the thing is most times I'd just be running or trying to take cover and my guy starts to float and then it's gg for me from there. PC here, don't know if it makes a difference.

Kyari

I feel like every time I change my loadout to be long range oriented I get stuck with a bunch of vanguards or krogan blocking shots, and every time I switch to close quarters I get a team full of snipers ... :(

X-Frame

Yeah, I run with mostly Vanguard, but the thing is most times I'd just be running or trying to take cover and my guy starts to float and then it's gg for me from there. PC here, don't know if it makes a difference.

It's caused when you attempt to charge at an enemy but you die at the same time (you'll usually see yourself charging, with the sound and beginning animation but then a split-second you're dead -- you never made it). After that moment, you're fucked. You'll bug out for the rest of the game.

Khal_B

It's caused when you attempt to charge at an enemy but you die at the same time (you'll usually see yourself charging, with the sound and beginning animation but then a split-second you're dead -- you never made it). After that moment, you're fucked. You'll bug out for the rest of the game.

I see, that's definitely happened to me on more than a few occasions. I hope they find a way to address this issue.

Mupod

I just spent a few rounds as a human vanguard, wasn't looking forward to leveling the class but holy crap they really are unkillable. I was the host, but I was basically soloing Silver because my team consisted of my friend goofing around on a low level Drell and two people who had no idea what they were doing. Then I had to emergency AFK for ~20 seconds and in that space of time a single Banshee wiped the whole squad before I got back. C'est la vie.

I'm hoping at least the other human vanguard in the match learned something, I had over 10 times his score because all he did was camp with a revenant and widow.

Edit: Low point of my short Vanguard career so far has been charging a 'high priority target' and knocking it off the map in such a way that it couldn't get back in and nobody could kill it. At least it was only wave 3.

Kenaras

Half Blast Nova is far and away the most overrated power evolution in the game. Not that it's bad, but it certainly isn't as required as things like Area Charge or Barrier Charge. For that matter, it's debatable whether Half Blast is even better than Power Recharge. Half Blast Vanguards are certainly easier to play, though.

DY_nasty

Half Blast Nova is far and away the most overrated power evolution in the game. Not that it's bad, but it certainly isn't as required as things like Area Charge or Barrier Charge. For that matter, it's debatable whether Half Blast is even better than Power Recharge. Half Blast Vanguards are certainly easier to play, though.
You can definitely make Power Recharge work, but it makes that fine, invincible line much harder to walk on higher difficulties.

Omega

Banned
I finally played human Vanguard. Never played it because I hated how everyone played it. They just kept going down and I thought that character was useless.

It blows my mind how incorrectly most people play this character. I just played two matches on Silver and ended up getting 140k each game, with my next teammate only getting like 40k or something.

This class is so broken when played right. I thought Nova was garbage when I played the demo and thought Vanguard was useless, which pissed me off because I played Adept/Vanguard in the previous two games. Couldn't have been any more wrong..

I bring the Phalanx with me. Is there a better pistol? I don't have the Paladin.

Alucrid

Banned
I finally played human Vanguard. Never played it because I hated how it everyone played it. They just kept going down and I thought that character was useless.

It blows my mind how incorrectly most people play this character. I just played two matches on Silver and ended up getting 140k each game, with my next teammate only getting like 40k or something.

This class is so broken when played right. I thought Nova was garbage when I played the demo and thought Vanguard was useless, which pissed me off because I played Adept/Vanguard in the previous two games. Couldn't have been any more wrong..

I bring the Phalanx with me. Is there a better pistol? I don't have the Paladin.

Whatever pistol gives you 200% recharge. I never even use my pistol except for guardians. (I put the piercing mod on)

Omega

Banned
I'll just stick with the Phalanx then.

Yeah, I barely use it too. Only time I used it was against Guardians and Banshees because I don't like going anywhere near Banshees. I always get magnetized to them and then get impaled, not sure if it's lag but it's really annoying.

Kenaras

Phalanx is my favorite for Vanguards. It's also worth noting that if you take the Weapon Weight path of Alliance Training, the Predator X is completely weightless, and relatively easy to get. That only becomes useful if you feel like using a shotgun, though.

Only time I used it was against Guardians and Banshees because I don't like going anywhere near Banshees. I always get magnetized to them and then get impaled, not sure if it's lag but it's really annoying.

I don't think that's lag, it's just what Banshees do. With practice you can learn to watch their animations and briefly charge in during safe windows, but for the most part just stay away from them.

DY_nasty

I'll just stick with the Phalanx then.

Yeah, I barely use it too. Only time I used it was against Guardians and Banshees because I don't like going anywhere near Banshees. I always get magnetized to them and then get impaled, not sure if it's lag but it's really annoying.
I swear a Banshee yanked me straight out of a charge once. I didn't even reach my intended target that was a good 5m away. Just snatched my ass out of warp like I was a chump.

Kenaras

Pellets bro

The damage stats for the Geth Plasma Shotgun are for fully charged shots. However, the DPS stats completely ignore the charging time, so they're greatly inflated. According to the original spreadsheet, instant shots from the GPS deal 45% damage.

Other than that, yeah... most shotguns fire eight pellets, so for those "stat damage" is eight times the base damage. The GPS functions very differently.

Dreamer RD

I finally played human Vanguard. Never played it because I hated how everyone played it. They just kept going down and I thought that character was useless.

Its a perfect killer for Bronze/Silver. While piece of crap on Gold, especially with cerberus/reapers. Phantoms and Banshees will destroy you in no time. Atlas also has instant kill move at close distance.

DY_nasty

Nah. I always host and Phantoms got me during charge (they will not stagger until barrier is destroyed). Same goes for Banshee. Geth is the only enemy where Vanguard can compete on Gold.
They stagger... they just don't take the full force knockback unless the sheild is gone. Charge and roll. You can't hang around in front of anything.

eek5

just puled two respec cards out of two veteran packs back to back

what are the odds

The odds of rolling the same card in consecutive packs seems really high with the RNG so if you don't like what you see in one pack you should probably stop opening them until later.

Kenaras

Even 1 Phantom can be a Hell without Asari and Stasis.

Phantoms are annoying because they're easy if you gamble, and hell if you play it safe. 95% of the time, you can just treat them like any other enemy and wreck them with giving them a second thought. 5% of the time, they'll grab you right out a charge and instakill you before you have a chance to dodge-roll to a safe distance.

At least Banshees are consistent.

Sober

I got the N7 shotgun and I'm honestly not sure how it's supposed to be used. The accuracy is absolutely absurd, it's pretty much as accurate as a sniper rifle and the damage is pretty high. But it's got maximum weight. I just don't see which class could utilize something like that.
It's a shotgun that fires slugs. I don't really like the weight but it is manageable and I use it on my Salarian Infiltrator. Just cloak, energy drain to strip defenses and fire. Also, the reload speed is much faster than the claymore (and has 3 rounds in the gun vs. 1) I have damage + AP mods on my shotgun just to make it do more ridiculous damage against armour. Doesn't need the AP mod to shoot through a guardian shield or cover but the mod makes it even better. It's basically almost a black widow/valiant sniper rifle (the xhairs never widen even when moving) without the high intensity scope in the way.

I think HBN is a popular build for silver/gold for survivability. You either have 2 novas to stagger or you gain the ability to stagger then delay for charge by canceling the second nova with a dodge for invincibility frames. It's definitely not the DPS increase but it is probably the better option for survivability.

Also, Phantom talk: Asari adept and a Salarian would be awesome since Energy Drain specced for damage (at least on silver) will pretty much just remove the barrier from a Phantom while Stasis just shuts it down for a headshot.

Phantoms are annoying because they're easy if you gamble, and hell if you play it safe. 95% of the time, you can just treat them like any other enemy and wreck them with giving them a second thought. 5% of the time, they'll grab you right out a charge and instakill you before you have a chance to dodge-roll to a safe distance.

At least Banshees are consistent.

Phantoms are annoying because they have a ridiculous evade rate, block biotics half the time, and are practically immune to stagger.

Stasis is so powerful against them partly because it's pretty much the only ability in the game that still works.

And Banshees consistent? I wish. The number of times I've seen them use the force and pull me towards them from a long distance away due to lag... wouldn't be so bad if they couldn't do it through shields.

Also, Phantom talk: Asari adept and a Salarian would be awesome since Energy Drain specced for damage (at least on silver) will pretty much just remove the barrier from a Phantom while Stasis just shuts it down for a headshot.

Yeah. Cloaked headshot seems to do nothing to phantoms while energy drain melt the barrier

Dreamer RD

That's pretty much what I (and most good players) use. Salarian Infiltrator is the best char. Vanguard sucks on Gold, unfortunately.

Rank 1 can occasionally be useful for staggering stuff. Sometimes handy against Guardians as a Human Vanguard. At least it staggers more than in the demo.

Quite a few abilities and power evolutions need some serious balancing fixes as there are some really shitty ones in there. 5 points to save you half a second on a shield recharge rate? 6 points giving your concussive shot ammo abilities (which you might not be using anyway in MP)?

Perfect balance is almost impossible, but for so many of them it's not even a choice. I mean, does anyone not go for +50% barriers for rank 6 Charge?

Top Bottom