• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I dunno.

May give it a go this weekend, what with the event going on and all.

I don't have a lot of free time, so I'm in the habit of scrutinising everything to cherry pick what I waste my few free hours on.

As always, I'm probably just over thinking things, lol.

Unless all 4 players are complete newcomers(which is like...impossible), its rare to lose a Bronze match. You usually get some guy with a high N7 rating(and good overall experience) and some OP gun they got from a spectre pack where they could basically carry the whole group. Hell, that's what i do sometimes with my Krogan Sentinel lvl 20. I run all over the place killing every geths/cerberus/reapers in one melee hit without dying.
And I never see anyone get kicked while waiting in a Bronze lobby. I've seen it once or twice in a silver or gold one, but that was because the guys were lvl 3 or 4.

You can get from lvl 1 to 6 or 7 with one completed bronze match too.

Mindlog

I'm wondering if extra damage weapon mods are worth it for shotguns and snipers who are already filling the Damage bar. Does it even work after that?

And im still unsure about how to set up the Justicar bubble, i took both the extra damage reduction and the warp effect so it can be good for either defense and offense, but im wondering if should just go one way or another, and not both.
The bars aren't too helpful. I recall reading that damage does go off the scale.

I have a Graal X now. What for I don't know. I might try using it again on my Shotgun Infiltrator.

Weird fad: I've been playing with quite a few great Quarian Infiltrators. They spam their powers and have decent low-weight weapons. I never saw that coming.

p.s. If you are hosting and the team aces Silver -> Kick the difficulty up a notch.

Got a Geth Infiltrator, never played Infiltrator before - someone care to explain the basics? Would be appreciated. Also, is it a fun class? Pretty much only been playing Engineer last few weeks but thought I could use some variation.

Recently finished the story (and immediately started on my Insanity run), but also had a quick look at the multiplayer/set up a character or two.

Reading through here, I'm expecting that I'm in for a ton of boots and/or a rough reception from randoms due to never having played yet. Great.

All I've done so far is boot up a couple of private games by myself so I can get a handle on the map layouts.

I'm kinda put off from the idea of even bothering now. May just wait till some friends become available so I can play with them.

Dude...we all start at level 1. Who cares. multi is SO much fun. Start with a human vanguard and get to level 20 asap. Spec half blast nova and full charge with 30% recharge and you will become a spamming monster.

2 x Nova, 1 x Charge to refill shields, rinse and repeat. if you play properly you really dont even need to use your guns at all (Bronze) - bring the lightest weapon possible so you have +200%.

You can jump into a room and clear EVERYTHING out before your teammates make it down there.

the 30% thing is BS - i get full shields every time i do it.

DarkKyo

Got a Geth Infiltrator, never played Infiltrator before - someone care to explain the basics? Would be appreciated. Also, is it a fun class? Pretty much only been playing Engineer last few weeks but thought I could use some variation.

Most people play Infiltrator as a total stealth class. Staying in cloak whenever it's available, only popping out to headshot+skill, then going back in. There are some options in the skill tree to make your damage higher while cloaked so it might be worth it to use that. They can be a pretty deadly class.. Especially the Geth Infiltrator due to their crazy ass hunter vision that lets you see through walls. Get a sniper that can shoot through thin walls and it can be pretty broken.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Its kinda hard starting off as a Vanguard because after you play that class nothing makes any sense.

"Cover? wtf is that for?"

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Its kinda hard starting off as a Vanguard because after you play that class nothing makes any sense.

"Cover? wtf is that for?"

And people start hating you when you go spamming Nova far away from everyone else and you end up dying.

Havok

Cloak immediately before every shot so that the cooldown is at its smallest. Don't be afraid to cloak and run if you're getting surrounded, which is why I wouldn't cloak every time it's off cooldown since you might need it at a moment's notice. You're one of the most survivable classes because you can escape from most situations just by threading the needle between enemies without getting shot (this also makes you a great combat medic or 'hack the objectives'-er). There's not much to it, other than positioning being more important than most classes.

I love playing Infiltrator, I feel handicapped playing anything else at this point. There's very little downtime - if you spec for it and use a single shot rifle, cloak will be ready by the time you're done reloading and you can just get a stream of one-shot kills.

X-Frame

I'm going to ReSpec my Geth Infiltrator to 6/6/6/6/0 with nothing in Fitness, and have Hunter Mode on all the time, carrying a GPS X or Claymore X.

Even though the GI can do the most sniper damage I think Salarian Infiltrators are still "better" snipers because of Energy Drain and the GI can be even more deadly with a shotgun.

I also keep hearing Proximity Mine is very effective on Gold, so I will take their word for it.

Kenaras

I'm going to ReSpec my Geth Infiltrator to 6/6/6/6/0 with nothing in Fitness, and have Hunter Mode on all the time, carrying a GPS X or Claymore X.

Even though the GI can do the most sniper damage I think Salarian Infiltrators are still "better" snipers because of Energy Drain and the GI can be even more deadly with a shotgun.

I also keep hearing Proximity Mine is very effective on Gold, so I will take their word for it.

I was extremely disappointed when trying out a Geth Infiltrator sniper build. It might work alright with a Black Widow or Valiant, but I have neither. Salarian Infiltrator just feels much better. For that matter, so does Quarian Infiltrator.

I ended up using a respec card and going with a 5/3/6/6/6 shotgun build. A 5/5/6/6/4 build might be even better. I just don't see much point in a rank 6 Tactical Cloak when using a shotgun.

With Hunter Mode active and no points in Fitness, you absolutely have to avoid getting hit by anything in Gold, ever. A single burst from a basic trooper can kill you in the blink of an eye, when it wouldn't even drop the shields of most classes.

Dreamer RD

That's what Im saying. Sniper Rifles are pretty worthless in Geth Infiltrator hands since he cant remove shields. Even Black Widow wont help much. GPS X with 25% damage mod + capacity is my choice for any enemy type on Gold. It also staggers most of the enemies.

X-Frame

I was extremely disappointed when trying out a Geth Infiltrator sniper build. It might work alright with a Black Widow or Valiant, but I have neither. Salarian Infiltrator just feels much better. For that matter, so does Quarian Infiltrator.

I ended up using a respec card and going with a 5/3/6/6/6 shotgun build. A 5/5/6/6/4 build might be even better. I just don't see much point in a rank 6 Tactical Cloak when using a shotgun.

With Hunter Mode active and no points in Fitness, you absolutely have to avoid getting hit by anything in Gold, ever. A single burst from a basic trooper can kill you in the blink of an eye, when it wouldn't even drop the shields of most classes.

Rank 5 of the Prox Mine debuffs enemies on AoE allowing for then to receive 20% increased damage so with the Bonus Power evolution you can cloak, find target and hit them in the chest with a Prox Mine for large damage and the debuff then hit them with a shot or two of your shotgun before you decloak.

So you'll get the Prox Mine debuff, cloak AND Hunter Mode damage bonuses for those 1-2 shots. With a powerful shotgun groups will fall very quickly.

With the Glass Cannon you'll just have to be very very careful to make sure you're in a good spot when you decloak, but you'll be dealing insane damage all while cloaked constantly and wall-hacking.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Geth Infiltrator with Valiant is illegal amounts of fun. Without proximity mine build, because IMO proximity mine sucks.

Kenaras

Rank 5 of the Prox Mine debuffs enemies on AoE allowing for then to receive 20% increased damage so with the Bonus Power evolution you can cloak, find target and hit them in the chest with a Prox Mine for large damage and the debuff then hit them with a shot or two of your shotgun before you decloak.

So you'll get the Prox Mine debuff, cloak AND Hunter Mode damage bonuses for those 1-2 shots. With a powerful shotgun groups will fall very quickly.

With the Glass Cannon you'll just have to be very very careful to make sure you're in a good spot when you decloak, but you'll be dealing insane damage all while cloaked constantly and wall-hacking.

Yeah, I know about the debuff. Two things though:

1) What you're describing is perfectly doable without taking Tactical Cloak Bonus Power.
2) Even without the Proximity Mine debuff, a Geth Plasma Shotgun with Tactical Cloak and Hunter Mode damage bonuses will drop groups very quickly.

milkham

Yeah, I know about the debuff. Two things though:

1) What you're describing is perfectly doable without taking Tactical Cloak Bonus Power.
2) Even without the Proximity Mine debuff, a Geth Plasma Shotgun with Tactical Cloak and Hunter Mode damage bonuses will drop groups very quickly.

is the bonus for geth weapons innate or is it part of one of the skills?

Mindlog

Yeah, I've seen a lot of dead friendly Geth. Hunter mode makes you incredibly fragile.

Tried one round of Graalfiltrator. It took 4 waves before I started to get a feel for the charge -> cloak -> cryo -> shoot -> shoot cycle. I don't think I'm going to drop my Claymore for the Graal or GPS.

Playing a lot of Widow Salarian Infiltrator has gotten me used to 'active reload.' That's probably the main reason I prefer the Claymore on an Infiltrator. Cloak cooldown is perfect for reload canceling the Claymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd3avm4H8vM
6/6/6/6/0 with a GPS or Claymore is the way to go.
I can't wait to give that a shot. I like using the level III adrenaline amp on my Claymore Infiltrator. That speed bonus on top of Hunter Mode would be drell-like.

RyanDG

Just got the Justicar

Is it me or is the Asari Adept way better on gold?

Adept is better overall. The justicar is fun to toy around with and I love the interactions you can create with the bubble, chokepoints, and decoy... But the Adept has far more benefits than the justicar.

Westraid

A lot of people who play Gold say for Defense (Shield Recharging) is a life saver and very effective. Apparently for Offense it's no different than the Quarian Turret -- which is good if the Flamethrower against armored targets like Reapers.

I'm going defense when I unlock him.
Thank you very much for your advice! It seems to have worked out really well.
I wasn't sure which would be more helpful in a team, but defense really works great.

meSchnitzel

Neo Member
I havent seen anyone really comment on it, but what are your thoughts on the Geth's heavy attack? I like it but didnt pay enough attention to any special side effects or penalties. Thoughts?

Rapstah

I havent seen anyone really comment on it, but what are your thoughts on the Geth's heavy attack? I like it but didnt pay enough attention to any special side effects or penalties. Thoughts?

It's a DPS AOE which is unique, but as Geth you have way too little health to actually pop it in the middle of enemies and survive. It's good for picking off lone Nemeses or Marauders though.

meSchnitzel

Neo Member
It's a DPS AOE which is unique, but as Geth you have way too little health to actually pop it in the middle of enemies and survive. It's good for picking off lone Nemeses or Marauders though.

Is the AOE bigger than the Asari AOE heavy attack? I don't quiet get what the DPS part means...

Is the AOE bigger than the Asari AOE heavy attack? I don't quiet get what the DPS part means...

I think it expands a little after each pulse the first being smaller range then the Asari heavy and the last pulse being larger. I've found that if for whatever reason a phantom gets too close one pulse will stagger them and gives you a chance to get away. I think its a great heavy melee, but you aren't going to go around in groups using it.

TheYanger

Prox mine...I just don't get. people swear by it some places because it sets off tech combos and puts up the debuff, but the cooldown is RIDICULOUS, I can't get into it. My infiltrators feel naked without the ability to cloak for that long.

Prox mine...I just don't get. people swear by it some places because it sets off tech combos and puts up the debuff, but the cooldown is RIDICULOUS, I can't get into it. My infiltrators feel naked without the ability to cloak for that long.

Cloak, cast, shoot, repeat.

you should never use the proximity mine when you're not cloaked

Cloaking has a shorter cooldown, and a damage boost.

Cat Party

Speaking of Infiltrators, are sticky grenades as useless as I think they are? Are most people just avoiding them and maxing out everything else?

a sticky grenade doing 1040 damage sounds amazing but when most snipers do more and other techs are better overall it makes a sticky or grenade rubbish.

Salerian infiltrators one adds 10% more damage taken to opponent but 10% is hardly anything in this game, might as well max out cloak and get that 90% sniper boost, son.

sticky grenades would be a ton better if they could only be used once per round and did like 3000 damage after being set, so you could place one in an important location between waves and the single use damage would then be useful.

rozay

Banned
It's comical how huge the krogan battlemaster is-dude is taller than the interface in the appearance screen and his head is always exposed when behind knee-high walls hahaha

It's comical how huge the krogan battlemaster is-dude is taller than the interface in the appearance screen and his head is always exposed when behind knee-high walls hahaha

When I first got into a game with him I really wanted to go over to the Krogan soldier in the game and push him around and take his lunch money. Lil pipsqueak.

Top Bottom