• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

rozay

Banned
So the justicar...offensive bubble or defensive bubble?

Do the damage reduction upgrades on Reave help on silver/gold or should I ignore them and go with radius, recharge speed and armor&barrier stripping?

TheYanger

How is the black widow compared to The Widow?

I believe i just have a widow sniper rifle...is the black widow different?

Black Widow is 3 shot rather than single shot, it will do more total damage per reload/stealth period, which is why people like it, also it will help you with pesky shield gating. As a Salarian I prefer single shots, but with anyone else multi-shot is the way to go due to shields again.
3 shots before reloading.
Can't remember exactly but i think it had slightly lower damage per shot than the widow. Maybe I'm mistakened

The Black Widow does about 55-60% of a single shot from a Widow, per shot.

Do the damage reduction upgrades on Reave help on silver/gold or should I ignore them and go with radius, recharge speed and armor&barrier stripping?

I went with Offensive bubble and then quick recharge on reave. makes the bubble a biotic explosion hotszone. it gets loud in there.

The only problem with the offensive bubble is you have to be right in the thick of battle to use it, or use it and then lure people in. If you could throw it it would be so much more useful.

Bubble + Reave = Biotic deathzone in there.

Black Widow is 3 shot rather than single shot, it will do more total damage per reload/stealth period, which is why people like it, also it will help you with pesky shield gating. As a Salarian I prefer single shots, but with anyone else multi-shot is the way to go due to shields again.

Thanks guys.

I tried to use the widow and i was useless with it. If you miss you are done for. Also, useless for close encounters. I tried it with my asari vanguard - Stasis bubble then headshot..but it also affects the power recharge too much as its so heavy.

My play style revolves around only carrying one (relatively) lightweight weapon.

Can you explain the part in bold? why does being salarian make a difference?

TheYanger

To clarify, shield gating is a mechanic where enemies take less damage from the hit that pushes them over from shields/barrier to armor/health. And it's a modifier per difficulty. 50% on normal, 75% on silver, and 100% on gold. So if you have a mob with 1 shield left, and you hit him for 101 damage, on normal you would do 1 shield damage and 50 health, on silver it'd be 1 and 25, and on gold you would do 1 damage to his shields and that's it.
ARs, Pistols, SMGs, most Shotguns, dont suffer significantly as the expense of a single bullet being 'eaten' by the shield gate is minimal (Shotguns with multiple pellets only will have one get eaten for instance), but with a sniper rifle you can see how it would be a huge issue.
In effect, a mob with a single point of shield/barrier will stop your widow/javelin/whatever COLD no matter how much damage you can muster in a single shot on gold.

rozay

Banned
I went with Offensive bubble and then quick recharge on reave. makes the bubble a biotic explosion hotszone. it gets loud in there.

The only problem with the offensive bubble is you have to be right in the thick of battle to use it, or use it and then lure people in. If you could throw it it would be so much more useful.

While this sounds cool, the second paragraph is a big con. 80% damage reduction sounds amazing.

Chanser

Finally unlocked the Quarian Infiltrator via recruit pack after having nothing unlocked for that class. First time I spent a whole bunch of credits on recruit packs and it has given me overdue weapon mods.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

On drell you go area, recharge, shield & barrier. i guess it would be the same for a offensive support justicar.

koji

Ugh.

Took forever to find a match. When I finally did, I was lagging all over the place and had to quit out. Then when I finally get a good match going, the 360 hard locks halfway through.

The bugs in this game are killing my desire to play.

When it takes a while to find a match, like longer than 5 seconds I usually cancel my search, when the search takes long the chances for a lagged out game appear to be way higher.

Learn the ways of the F2P

I'm guilty of spending at least $15 =(

Spend something like that as well when the PSPs launched, just started 3 weeks ago and it was a good way to get a couple of rares unlocked.

Had a blast with my Asari Adept in a silver game yesterday, was the last man standing (wave 9) in one of those 5 minutes occupy objectives, I bunkered down and spammed warp/throw in all directions in the capping zone, haha shit good fun, managed to stay alive and we cleared the round.

I usually play more a supportive role, she's glas cannon/support spec, so it was nice to go balls out dps :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

So wait, then the Black Widow is just a much heavier, slower firing, armor piercing Valiant then? Doesn't seem very attractive if that's the case.

Replicant

So wait, then the Black Widow is just a much heavier, slower firing, armor piercing Valiant then? Doesn't seem very attractive if that's the case.
Yeah, pretty much. It's the same with single player too. An overpriced, heavy sniper whose advantage are 2 extra rounds and more damage (not worth it though when Mantis V can do more with mods and less heavier).

Rubezh

Black Widow also has a lot more recoil than the Valiant so it takes longer to line up shots. Out of the two I would pick the Valiant but I sometimes use the Black Widow for the added armor penetration with the stackable piercing mod. Takes down Brutes fast.

TheYanger

Let's see, the valiant is a weapon you've had exactly two 25% chances to get thusfar. Obviously the Valiant is good, but MOST of us can't get it. The Black Widow is extremely good at what it does, the valiant just does it faster.
/hurricane 2 club

Gui_PT

I've been getting nothing from these packs.

I got a geth infiltrator and weapon upgrades like... Crappy Shotgun IV

Bioware be trollin' me!

After four Premium Spectres I finally got the Carnifex (like it a lot) and the Widow. Only thing I really care about is the Geth Engineer though.

When is this Resurgence Pack supposed to appear? (supposed to be one right, I'm not making things up am I?)

Westraid

After four Premium Spectres I finally got the Carnifex (like it a lot) and the Widow. Only thing I really care about is the Geth Engineer though.

When is this Resurgence Pack supposed to appear? (supposed to be one right, I'm not making things up am I?)
Resurgence Pack DLC is already up for download since April 10th, if that's what you mean. Check the marketplace, without downloading it, you won't unlock any of the new stuff.
If you're referring to a pack like the Veteran, Spectre pack etc, afaik, there's no such a thing for Resurgence pack. I unlocked my new characters/weapons by purchasing the Premium Spectre pack. Sorry if I misunderstood you.

On a side note, how did you guys spec the turret for Geth Engineer? I'm doubting whether or not to choose for offence or defence.

Next week, apparently. They couldn't get it to work this week so they did another premium spectre pack.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm wondering if extra damage weapon mods are worth it for shotguns and snipers who are already filling the Damage bar. Does it even work after that?

And im still unsure about how to set up the Justicar bubble, i took both the extra damage reduction and the warp effect so it can be good for either defense and offense, but im wondering if should just go one way or another, and not both.

X-Frame

On a side note, how did you guys spec the turret for Geth Engineer? I'm doubting whether or not to choose for offence or defence.

A lot of people who play Gold say for Defense (Shield Recharging) is a life saver and very effective. Apparently for Offense it's no different than the Quarian Turret -- which is good if the Flamethrower against armored targets like Reapers.

I'm going defense when I unlock him.

I'm wondering if extra damage weapon mods are worth it for shotguns and snipers who are already filling the Damage bar. Does it even work after that?

And im still unsure about how to set up the Justicar bubble, i took both the extra damage reduction and the warp effect so it can be good for either defense and offense, but im wondering if should just go one way or another, and not both.

i find an accuracy mod is better then power on a shotgun, more pellets to hit on target easier and helps with headshots at medium range.

Bisnic

i find an accuracy mod is better then power on a shotgun, more pellets to hit on target easier and helps with headshots at medium range.

I usually have the accuracy and ammo capacity mods for shotguns, unless i play a krogan... where i pick the melee damage one at least. :p

Raxus

A lot of people who play Gold say for Defense (Shield Recharging) is a life saver and very effective. Apparently for Offense it's no different than the Quarian Turret -- which is good if the Flamethrower against armored targets like Reapers.

I'm going defense when I unlock him.

I went defense too. It helps with the objectives and the team and it gets destroyed often so this way you can place it someplace out of danger and still reap the benefits.

Replicant

300,000 wasted and all I got are Krogan soldier and Batarian soldier. This system sucks!

Thankfully not all is lost since batarian soldier is like a tank and his claw + falcon punch powers are fucking fun to use in Bronze match.

Sai

Oh, man. I've been neglecting the Scimitar because I thought it was horrible in ME2. I just tried it out with a freshly deployed Human Sentinal, with High Caliber Barrel and Spare Thermal Clip mods and I'm likin' it a lot.

It does a decent amount of damage, and the capacity/firing rate/reload time just lets you keep piling it on.

meSchnitzel

Neo Member
Striker gun is pretty worthless : when shot in rapid fire, you don't have any visual feedback of the grenades shooting or exploding upon impact.

Very underwelming. As much as it's weight and recoil.

OK I unlocked the Striker and tried it out with Human Soldier. With Adrenaline rush and Armor piercing mod I could tear through anything with constant explosions. I really liked it.

With my Justicar I specced for damage and warp on the bubble, then initiated fights with pull. Pull > Run up to the group I just pulled > Bubble = EXPLOSIONS!

Super fun!

So far I have unlocked Harpoon III I think, Stiker II, Both Batarians, Asari Justicar, and Geth Engineer. I still don't have a GPS though and I really really really want one haha

Love this game!

DarkKyo

yes! Got the Geth Infiltrator. How should I go about specing this guy?

I'm filling up everything besides proximity mine(leaving that empty) and going the high-damage, high-survivability route.. Fast regenerating shields and decent stealth coupled with powerful hits/headshots with a high-damage sniper. It's working pretty well so far. Not focusing at all on melee damage.

Has anyone noticed if the title update may have changed what type of objectives you get? I played a couple rounds of Geth on Gold, Firebase White, to farm credits last night. In one round, all 3 objectives were the hack/upload in the blue circle objectives, easily the most difficult objective on Gold (since Infiltrators can solo the multiple site activation objective). In another round, either 1 or 2 were the hack/upload objectives.

Maybe it was just bad luck, or maybe it the frequency of objectives was tweaked to cut down on credit farming. It's still possible to farm it, even getting the hack/upload objectives, but it's much easier if you get the other objectives.

milkham

Has anyone noticed if the title update may have changed what type of objectives you get? I played a couple rounds of Geth on Gold, Firebase White, to farm credits last night. In one round, all 3 objectives were the hack/upload in the blue circle objectives, easily the most difficult objective on Gold (since Infiltrators can solo the multiple site activation objective). In another round, either 1 or 2 were the hack/upload objectives.

Maybe it was just bad luck, or maybe it the frequency of objectives was tweaked to cut down on credit farming. It's still possible to farm it, even getting the hack/upload objectives, but it's much easier if you get the other objectives.

they seem to circle around the back more often too, but maybe thats just teammates being dumb and leading them. at least with hunter mode you can see them

also, FUUUUUU
jbrYJMdP0f7fr4.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Seems like bad luck, I got 3 targets yesterday after the update *shrug*

Recently finished the story (and immediately started on my Insanity run), but also had a quick look at the multiplayer/set up a character or two.

Reading through here, I'm expecting that I'm in for a ton of boots and/or a rough reception from randoms due to never having played yet. Great.

All I've done so far is boot up a couple of private games by myself so I can get a handle on the map layouts.

I'm kinda put off from the idea of even bothering now. May just wait till some friends become available so I can play with them.

Bisnic

Recently finished the story (and immediately started on my Insanity run), but also had a quick look at the multiplayer/set up a character or two.

Reading through here, I'm expecting that I'm in for a ton of boots and/or a rough reception from randoms due to never having played yet. Great.

All I've done so far is boot up a couple of private games by myself so I can get a handle on the map layouts.

I'm kinda put off from the idea of even bothering now. May just wait till some friends become available so I can play with them.

As long as you do bronze games, people shouldnt kick you no matter what your lvl is. That's the whole point of bronze.

Dont bother with silver and gold until you have more lvls and experience though, now you'll get kicked.

I dunno.

May give it a go this weekend, what with the event going on and all.

I don't have a lot of free time, so I'm in the habit of scrutinising everything to cherry pick what I waste my few free hours on.

As always, I'm probably just over thinking things, lol.

Top Bottom