• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

Got the Scorpion today, how much does it suck?

I loved it in SP, but the heavy weight, delay in firing, and small capacity will probably turn me off it in the MP.

Any good classes to use it on? Is it viable on Gold?

Dreamer RD

I have all the characters except for Asari Justicar...
That changes today

You can have mine lol

QB4Tx.jpg

Another 99k wasted on garbage. Damn.

X-Frame

If they won't stop giving us character cards at 100% customization, then at least replace them with consumables or something. At Level 20 and all customization options another card is 100% useless whereas even Cryo Ammo I is still something.

Xevren

Got the Scorpion today, how much does it suck?

I loved it in SP, but the heavy weight, delay in firing, and small capacity will probably turn me off it in the MP.

Any good classes to use it on? Is it viable on Gold?

Would be better if it was a lighter. I like it, but won't use it on the higher difficulties.

Dreamer RD

If they won't stop giving us character cards at 100% customization, then at least replace them with consumables or something. At Level 20 and all customization options another card is 100% useless whereas even Cryo Ammo I is still something.

Yeah. I cant imagine how people even pay real money for that crap.

Ikkarus

I got kicked from a party for only equipping a Hornet (which weighs nothing with my mods on) on my Asari Adept....

I don't even need to fire my bloody gun!

Jafku

I got kicked from a party for only equipping a Hornet (which weighs nothing with my mods on) on my Asari Adept....

Yeah. The only time I fire a gun is when I/ my teams have stasis'd a Phantom and then stasis no longer works

Darte

So um, how does one use an adept? I'll admit I've never played in either single or MP before. I've also never played sentinel, engineer, vanguard in either single player or MP before either (full time infiltrator), yet I managed to pick up the nuances of it in 1 or 2 matches.

I've tried adept 4 times and i still don't get it >_> 2 times with a drell where I die within a few shots, and another 2 times with an offensively specced justicar.

there are too many lamers on the internet, it's sad because some experimental setups are really fun to use, I know yours is for 200% cooldown :p

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
So um, how does one use an adept? I'll admit I've never played in either single or MP before. I've also never played sentinel, engineer, vanguard in either single player or MP before either (full time infiltrator), yet I managed to pick up the nuances of it in 1 or 2 matches.

I've tried adept 4 times and i still don't get it >_> 2 times with a drell where I die within a few shots, and another 2 times with an offensively specced justicar.

Drell and justicar are supports. They need another biotic to be successful, unless you heavily mod the justicar

You should go asari or human sentinel unless there are other bitoics or a vanguard around.

Ikkarus

For me it's all about creating biotic explosions. Therefore with your Drell it will be Pull and Reave which will trigger them. It's far easier with an Asari though if you have one of them. Warp + Throw or Stasis + Warp or Throw will do the trick. Just literally rinse and repeat that and you should never really need to fire your gun. Just keep your weapons light and that way your recharge times will be hardly anything.

Dreamer RD said:
Which level?

My Hornet? It's VII. If you're on about my adept then it's level 20.

pmj

I only just now decided to check the multiplayer out, and now I know why this thread consists mostly of whining about packs.

I had to play a character I don't want to play, because the ones I do want to play are all locked. I got it up to level 20. I bought packs along the way; one 5k, two 60k, one 99k, and the rest 20k ones. I only got consumables, a handful of weapons that I'll never use, and one whole character, the turian sentinel. I don't want to play him either.

I'm not going to put myself through any more of this torture.

SaberVulcan

First non-Firebase White gold game (surprisingly hard to come by) and the whole team charges the first point to capture (when you have to do the 4 things) when I am the Infiltrator. Ugh.

Moaradin

Just got Krogan Vanguard and the grenade launcher rifle. Wanted a Geth Engineer, but this will have to do for now. My only other character I have is Turian Sentinel and he sucks lol.

Havok

Had a great time today playing Gold with my shiny new Geth Infiltrator (I promptly named him Regiment to complement my Geth Engineer, Platoon) equipped with a Black Widow. Currently specced 6/5/6/6/3, with the 'target takes 20% extra damage' tree on the Proxy Mine, and weapon damage otherwise. Hunter Mode's UI bullshit was surprisingly easy to get used to, and I barely noticed the reduced shields. Being able to see enemies through geometry is huge, it's really useful to know when two Primes are about to jump your party. Not having a super useful off-cloak, always-handy power like Energy Drain actually works in my favor here since I don't feel the need to carry only light weapons.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I only just now decided to check the multiplayer out, and now I know why this thread consists mostly of whining about packs.

I had to play a character I don't want to play, because the ones I do want to play are all locked. I got it up to level 20. I bought packs along the way; one 5k, two 60k, one 99k, and the rest 20k ones. I only got consumables, a handful of weapons that I'll never use, and one whole character, the turian sentinel. I don't want to play him either.

I'm not going to put myself through any more of this torture.

Out of all the humans you cant find one fun class? Also unless the guy you want is rare, you should stick to recruit and vet packs. Level up all your basic weapons and mods with Recruit packs and try and get a salarian and some decent uncommons in the vet packs.

Even if I play like wave 1 and fail?

or like the vanilla maps?

BSN:

Operation BEACHHEAD eased the pressure on allied planets and freed up conventional forces that were being hammered by the Reapers. With these reinforcements, the allies can use RESURGENCE to target more critical infrastructure.

Anyone who has the Resurgence Pack multiplayer DLC operational during this weekend will be granted a Reserves Pack. A Reserves Pack unlocks one of the new random alien classes guaranteed.

No specific conditions.

Drell and justicar are supports. They need another biotic to be successful, unless you heavily mod the justicar

Drell Adept is "support"? By itself, it's probably the highest DPS class around. Slightly weaker against Geth, great against most Cerberus (Phantom is tricky) and incredible against Reapers.

Anyone else name their Batarians with dumb names? I named mine Doofus and Poop. I don't like the race

My 2 Geth are 00101011 and 7of9 haha.

Always love to hear what other people are doing

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Drell Adept is "support"? By itself, it's probably the highest DPS class around. Slightly weaker against Geth, great against most Cerberus (Phantom is tricky) and incredible against Reapers.

Yes support. He is all about enabling explosions, using pull on guardians, husks and phantoms that fall out of stasis and clearing a room in an emergency with cluster grenades. He sucks at self exploding and is super squishy, so he needs a vanguard drawing fire or another adept to explode groups with. Obviously on lower difficulties he can be self sufficient.

pmj

Out of all the humans you cant find one fun class? Also unless the guy you want is rare, you should stick to recruit and vet packs. Level up all your basic weapons and mods with Recruit packs and try and get a salarian and some decent uncommons in the vet packs.
I got used to playing certain ways in the campaign and looked for characters in the multiplayer that let me play the same way. They exist, more or less, but you have to unlock them. I'm sure my ways aren't the best out there, but they're what I found to be the most fun so that's what I want to do.

If you could fill up a bar by playing in order to unlock a new class of your choosing, I'd do so. As it is, I've wasted a whole day and made no progress whatsoever. I'm out.

Yes support. He is all about enabling explosions, using pull on guardians, husks and phantoms that fall out of stasis and clearing a room in an emergency with cluster grenades. He sucks at self exploding and is super squishy, so he needs a vanguard drawing fire or another adept to explode groups with. Obviously on lower difficulties he can be self sufficient.

Drells are self sufficient on Gold too, and it's not hard to be either. just take a carnifex to strip shields so you can set up biotic detonations, and save your cluster grenades for the tougher enemies so you can detonate them yourself (reave/cluster grenade). Just stay by cover and you should be fine. Seriously, the Drell is AMAZING on gold. I've never scored lower than first place using the Drell on gold.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
A drell without another biotic is just a worse asari adept or human sentinel. Who gives a shit about shields, its the high armored opponents that are a problem on gold. Drell can chuck 3 grenades at them, which might take down a brute, then you are out of nades. Its the same reason human adept is relatively weak, despite even having a self combo.

Best drell is offensive support with disruptor or warp rounds and a vanguard. Add in a falcon for more aoe. I've only had the pleasure of it once sadly. I wish i could find a good vanguard player to play with.

A drell without another biotic is just a worse asari adept or human sentinel. Who gives a shit about shields, its the high armored opponents that are a problem on gold. Drell can chuck 3 grenades at them, which might take down a brute, then you are out of nades. Its the same reason human adept is relatively weak, despite even having a self combo.

Best drell is offensive support with disruptor or warp rounds and a vanguard. Add in a falcon for more aoe. I've only had the pleasure of it once sadly. I wish i could find a good vanguard player to play with.

just responding to your claim that the drell suck at self exploding, assuming you said that in part because they can't set one off on a shielded enemy; it doesn't take much effort to strip shields then set one off, even on gold. As far as nades go, you have to learn how to time your vists to the ammo boxes, which shouldn't be to hard considering you're never far from one. The damage output from cluster grenades/reave is so much higher than anything the other adepts can do it's worth it though. On a whole the Drells offensive output is higher than almost all the other classes, you just got a put a bit more effort in to get something out of the class.

rozay

Banned
What weapons are you guys using on Krogan Vanguards? I feel like the only gun he really needs on bronze and silver should be something to attack ranged enemies as he can obliterate anything close by.

Replicant

Just got a great Pack
Justicar
Carnifex III
Pistol Barel III
Drell Adept (Yay :D now all I need is skin tones)
5 Medigels
I *hate* you. All I ever got are Assault Rifles after Assault Rifles. I think I have complete collection of Assault Rifles in various levels.

Which pack was this btw?

Ikkarus

Got Asari Adept again. I think it's like the third time.

I have fully unlocked the Asari Adept now right down to the skin colour.

One question I have for you GAF, I haven't unlocked the Harpoon gun yet when or if I do is it better than the Widow? Only I saw a video on Youtube which shows it's a hell of a lot more powerful but then I hear people saying it's rubbish....

Havok

I have fully unlocked the Asari Adept now right down to the skin colour.

One question I have for you GAF, I haven't unlocked the Harpoon gun yet when or if I do is it better than the Widow? Only I saw a video on Youtube which shows it's a hell of a lot more powerful but then I hear people saying it's rubbish....
It's really inconsistent in my experience. I'd never give up the Widow for something that has travel time, not with the netcode in this game, especially not for something that needs to be charged up to be worth a damn, along with such a crappy scope.

Ikkarus

It's really inconsistent in my experience. I'd never give up the Widow for something that has travel time, not with the netcode in this game, especially not for something that needs to be charged up to be worth a damn, along with such a crappy scope.
Ah so it has to be charged up? Consider my interest in it dropped then.

sorry for all the spec questions, but what do you level up for a quarian infiltrator?

I went with a 66653 sniper build. I mostly play silver (gold with randoms is too much hit-and-miss), so hardcore gold players might have better ideas on how much difference a full Fitness really makes; in my experience it doesn't help much.

Sabotage and sticky grenades are both a bit situational, although I'm eager to test Sabotage as a pre-snipe stun power now that somebody suggested that it could be used in the same way as Energy Drain by a Salarian infiltrator. You should always use it from cloak anyway to avoid the long cooldown.

Sorry, you're using it wrong. Do you not use grenades? In my earlier post, I mentioned that the Drell Adept is (IMO) the highest DPS class in the game... yes, outpacing Asari Adept, Human Engineer and is a very close race between it and the Salarian Infiltrator (although the SI is much more heavily dependent on the weapon and the player's actual sniping skill).

And this analysis is wholly based on an independent Drell Adept. It does not need the help of any other biotics or classes. Why? Because Reave -> Cluster Grenades is probably the most powerful biotic explosion in the game. And a big plus is that the two skills don't share the same timer (unlike most other biotic explosions in the game).

You mention the larger enemies as the bigger issue on Gold... yes, of course they are. And Reave -> Clusters make very, very short work of them. I've mentioned ammo box cycling for grenades many, many times in this thread because people often don't realize just how many grenades you can throw in a wave and still have stock for the next wave (note that this is without using the thermal clip consumable). Absolutely no other class has the inherent (unreliant on weapon) room clearing ability that the Drell Adept has, in large part due to Cluster Grenades.

The Drell Adept requires a more complex playstyle than most other classes because a) it's super squishy and b) its heavy reliance on grenades. But once you figure it out, you'll understand the incredible DPS it has (this is anecdotal, but on Gold I rarely get outpointed and if I do it's usually a Salarian Infiltrator).

For comparison's sake, the Asari Adept is more versatile and a lot easier to use. You either go Stasis -> headshot, or Warp -> Throw. Stay in cover and you're good to go. Amazing class, and easily top tier... but it does not have the same clearing power as the Drell.

Stasis is incredible but it sets up a weak biotic detonation, forcing you to add shots from your weapon. Warp -> Throw is powerful and can be used on large enemies but is a bit slower (both skills also have travel time, which allow enemies to evade).

Pull -> Reave can only be used against unshielded enemies but it can affect a group of them at once (if you spec for it) and is also faster than either of the Asari's combos. Reave has the added bonus of doing damage over time so if an enemy isn't killed outright, it often soon will. And since Reave can affect multiple enemies, it's the perfect setup for Cluster Grenade. It's the speed of the first combo combined with the sheer power of the second that makes the Drell Adept the class with unparalleled DPS ability.

Top Bottom