• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

Jafku

You can have mine lol

QB4Tx.jpg

Another 99k wasted on garbage. Damn.

No need now. Finally got her today :)

So in summary, Drell Adept in my opinion is definitely in the most elite tier of classes in the game, I just would have to disagree on it being the highest independent DPS class out of all of them.

Question... what class do you feel does fit into the highest independent DPS class out there? And what criteria do you use for analysis?

My point being that any proper class DPS analysis needs to control for all outside factors; in other words, you need to evaluate, as much as possible, the merits of the class itself while minimizing inputs like player skill and weapon choice.

For example, Class A with a Widow X versus Class B with a Mantis X. If Class A is able to kill more enemies is that because of the class or because it has access to the clearly superior weapon? If Class A is a Human Infiltrator and Class B is a Salarian Infiltrator does that mean the Human is a better DPS class? No, it just means he has the better weapon.

But I do realize how difficult it is to separate weapon choice completely, because certain classes are built for certain weapons better. This also usually means that player skill will also make itself more prominent for certain things like sniper rifles (because, let's be honest, the game is very, very generous with aiming for skill usage, in part to allow for things like curving skills around cover).

This is why, IMO, the Drell Adept is at (or near) the very, very top of the DPS ladder... because all of its inherent skills lead to a very, very high damage throughput over the course of a round. You don't need to have l337 headshotting skills nor do you need to have a Carnifex X (nor a Carnifex at all, really).

However, for other classes I think the Salarian Infiltrator is up there and the Human Vanguard can keep up too. (I think in terms of DPS the HV falters a bit going from Silver to Gold though because there are less situations where it can fully engage in Gold). The SI is a bit more weapon dependent than the DA though, but Proximity Mine and Energy Drain are both great complementary skills to Tactical Cloak. This is why I did state that when I get outpointed in Gold matches, it's usually by a crackshot SI.

For what it's worth, I think the "DPS crown" on the Drell Adepts head is highly arguable... but it's got the best, objective argument out of all the classes I've seen and played with so far.

X-Frame

What is every random's obsession with making camp at the drop off point on every map?

Hydra my team insists on defending the landing pad when it is the MOST exposed part of the map.

rozay

Banned
What is every random's obsession with making camp at the drop off point on every map?

Hydra my team insists on defending the landing pad when it is the MOST exposed part of the map.
Extraction on Hydra is pretty tough with randoms who do this.

Orca

I did a bronze this afternoon with a level one character fresh off a promotion and things went fine - up until someone left the extraction zone at the end to get a kill. There was ONE SECOND left as he stepped out of the circle....

X-Frame

Where is the best spot to set up on that map?

I feel like the back room with the spinning energy ball. 2 entrances and you can kite around 2 islands if needed. A long back hallway great for snipers and a decoy at the other side.

Some people would say the balcony area overlooking the map would be good for snipers but I still that is too exposed with no real Plan B if shit hit the fan.

alexel

Question... what class do you feel does fit into the highest independent DPS class out there? And what criteria do you use for analysis?

My point being that any proper class DPS analysis needs to control for all outside factors; in other words, you need to evaluate, as much as possible, the merits of the class itself while minimizing inputs like player skill and weapon choice.

For example, Class A with a Widow X versus Class B with a Mantis X. If Class A is able to kill more enemies is that because of the class or because it has access to the clearly superior weapon? If Class A is a Human Infiltrator and Class B is a Salarian Infiltrator does that mean the Human is a better DPS class? No, it just means he has the better weapon.

But I do realize how difficult it is to separate weapon choice completely, because certain classes are built for certain weapons better. This also usually means that player skill will also make itself more prominent for certain things like sniper rifles (because, let's be honest, the game is very, very generous with aiming for skill usage, in part to allow for things like curving skills around cover).

This is why, IMO, the Drell Adept is at (or near) the very, very top of the DPS ladder... because all of its inherent skills lead to a very, very high damage throughput over the course of a round. You don't need to have l337 headshotting skills nor do you need to have a Carnifex X (nor a Carnifex at all, really).

However, for other classes I think the Salarian Infiltrator is up there and the Human Vanguard can keep up too. (I think in terms of DPS the HV falters a bit going from Silver to Gold though because there are less situations where it can fully engage in Gold). The SI is a bit more weapon dependent than the DA though, but Proximity Mine and Energy Drain are both great complementary skills to Tactical Cloak. This is why I did state that when I get outpointed in Gold matches, it's usually by a crackshot SI.

For what it's worth, I think the "DPS crown" on the Drell Adepts head is highly arguable... but it's got the best, objective argument out of all the classes I've seen and played with so far.

First of all, let me just say that I'm very happy we can have a civilized conversation about differing opinions without someone belittling the other or hurling personal attacks.

I see your point about taking player skill and everything out of the equation, but I feel things like learning proper spawn placement, knowing safe paths to ammo crates in order to replenish grenades, knowing when to run out to restock grenades vs bunker down to help your teammates from getting overrun, knowing when the best times are to use certain abilities/spam grenades are all part of player skill for the class. There's two ways we can make it an apples to apples comparison. First is your way of just normalizing for all the different variables in play, the other is to basically compare each class based on what you feel the optimal loadout is (basically your optimal Drell Adept loadout vs my optimal Salarina Infiltrator loadout) In fact, I feel that normalizing for player skill would actually be a detriment to the Drell Adept since I would argue he is one of the most player skill-dependent classes to play. If we were to try to normalize for weapon choice, then that would probably give the leg up to Adept classes as almost all their innate abilities are there to provide massive damage whereas the Infiltrator is almost entirely weapon-dependent. You are correct that you don't need to get leet headshots with a Carnifex on the Drell to be successful, but you need to know proper times/places to use your powers, when to run for grenades, etc. One could argue that learning that is just as hard as learning to have impeccable aim with the Infiltrator.

I pretty much agree with everything you've lauded about the Drell Adept, but let me provide my side of the argument for why I feel the Salarian Infiltrator is the top DPS class for me:

Energy drain and Cloak allows me to strip off the shields off most enemies, but most importantly it allows me to almost always be in the fight. No matter how good you are, you're going to get your own shields stripped in Gold and need to take cover for a bit to recharge. With the infiltrator, this downtown is almost eliminated completely since I just drain the shields back and continue killing. This is less true when facing enemies other than the Geth, but even then, Tactical Cloak allows me to line up and shoot enemies while my health is flashing red with little repercussion. This coupled with the damage boost from cloak allows me to 1 shot almost all the smaller enemies (with the Black Widow you can kill everything other than Atlases, Primes, Banshees, and Brutes within a single cloak cycle). This constantly being able to attack leads to extremely quick killing speed/high dps as I usually kill 1-3 enemies per cloak cycle (which is about 4 seconds). This also allows me to take down a Primes and Atlases in 2-3 cloak cycles while constantly staying in the fight with shields recharged from the energy drain.

As you can see from the above paragraph, almost all my experience and reason why I felt the Salarian Infiltrator has the highest DPS is based on playing with either a Widow X or my Black Widow III. I don't feel like I could do nearly as well if I were to use another weapon just like how I couldn't imagine getting the optimal DPS output of my Drell Adept if I were using anything other than my Carnifex X.

I'd like to think that I'm the crackshot Infiltrator you mentioned above just like how you're probably that amazing Drell Adept that I rarely come across. We've both honed our skills on our favorite classes to push them to the absolute limit which is probably what resulted in our opinions today. After this discussion, my takeaway is that there's the top tier of DPS classes out there to which both the Drell Adept and Salarian Infiltrator (along with a few other classes) belong. Which one is the top out of those selections is really dependent on how well your individual skills and/or playstyle is suited for that class.

We should also try to play together at some point for some quick clear times and massive credits. Hit me up sometimes, gamertag: "IHave5KidsToFeed".

I just unlocked the Geth Infiltrator (woo!). Can anyone help me out with a strategy? Do you use proximity mines or just ignore them completely? I don't think I'm going to snipe, because Salarian Infiltrators already do that so well.

I just unlocked the Geth Infiltrator (woo!). Can anyone help me out with a strategy? Do you use proximity mines or just ignore them completely? I don't think I'm going to snipe, because Salarian Infiltrators already do that so well.

5/6/6/6/3

Equip a claymore or geth plasma shotgun and enjoy the carnage

exYle

5/6/6/6/3

Equip a claymore or geth plasma shotgun and enjoy the carnage

I disagree. I went 6/5/6/6/3, so I could get "fire bonus power" and drop proximity mines before firing a shotgun. The Prox mines make enemies take 20% more damage, combined with a shotgun blast that still has the cloak power-up, that should approximately make a shotgun blast with about 210% strength.

Xevren

I now have all the ultra rare pistols, and still no Carnifex. The only weapons I have left are Carnifex and the 2 ultra rare snipers. Blahhhhhh.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I only got one game in with Geth Infiltrator this weekend, that's all I had time for. Hope it counts cause I planned on doing it on Hydra to but he bastard changed the level right as I entered the lobby and I forgot to double check before readying.

I disagree. I went 6/5/6/6/3, so I could get "fire bonus power" and drop proximity mines before firing a shotgun. The Prox mines make enemies take 20% more damage, combined with a shotgun blast that still has the cloak power-up, that should approximately make a shotgun blast with about 210% strength.

You can still fire the mine and get the cloak effect for the shotgun without the bonus power, as the cloak bonus lasts for 1.5(ish) seconds. You can also keep the cooldowns short that way. I went with the 56663 build, and the mine-and-claymore-to-the-face combo takes 50% off a brute's health (and one-shots ravagers). Fun times.

My Geth infiltrator is called Aimbot. Naturally.

Firebrand

I now have all the ultra rare pistols, and still no Carnifex. The only weapons I have left are Carnifex and the 2 ultra rare snipers. Blahhhhhh.
Pretty sure there is no Carnifex in the game. Or Krogan Sentinels for that matter.

But please, have another rank of Geth Plasma Rifle and Arc Pistol.

Arjen

Tons of packs later, i only got the Geth Engineer from the new characters.
His flame thrower turret is pretty damn good.

exYle

You can still fire the mine and get the cloak effect for the shotgun without the bonus power, as the cloak bonus lasts for 1.5(ish) seconds. You can also keep the cooldowns short that way. I went with the 56663 build, and the mine-and-claymore-to-the-face combo takes 50% off a brute's health (and one-shots ravagers). Fun times.

My Geth infiltrator is called Aimbot. Naturally.

How does that make the cooldown any shorter?

So I'm think about maximazing the damage output one player can deal with one shot.

Geth infiltrator
Proxy mine to soften a target and make it 20% more vulnerable
Go for cloak headshot bonus
Weapon damage all the way and geth weapon damage bonus
Javalin X
Barrel mod V
Piercing mod V
Sniper rifle amp III
Armor piercing mod 3

Can a Prime get his armor down in a single headshot ?

How does that make the cooldown any shorter?

If you fire the mine from cloak, you get the cloak's cooldown instead of the mine cooldown. And the cloak cooldown depends on the time you spent cloaked, so as long as you mine+shoot relatively quickly after cloaking you can keep repeating the cycle really quickly. Add reload canceling (cloak or press the cover button as soon as you see the ammo number change) and you're a monster.

Ikkarus

Aye, the Geth turret is in my opinion the best turret (Human Engineer and Quarian's turret) in multiplayer. When I first deployed mine I was noticing it notching up a fair few kills. I was impressed considering how lame the Quarian's and Human's are.

Man, being a super badass Drell Adept sounds awesome, I'm just afraid I'll try it, suck it up and immediately say fuck this back to infiltrator. I kind of hate playing as an infiltrator because it ruins me for playing any other class. What with the whole 'being visible' thing.

exYle

If you fire the mine from cloak, you get the cloak's cooldown instead of the mine cooldown. And the cloak cooldown depends on the time you spent cloaked, so as long as you mine+shoot relatively quickly after cloaking you can keep repeating the cycle really quickly. Add reload canceling (cloak or press the cover button as soon as you see the ammo number change) and you're a monster.

That sounds no different from my setup.

The carnifex is great. I have swapped my Geth Engineers Geth Pulse SMG +3 to a Carnifex +2. its like the pistol from Halo 1, a portable sniper rifle.

I need to get it to X though....i feel like im rolling around with underpowered weapons right now.

Also, i just cant get into the sniper builds on infiltrators. Having a Black widow only makes me feel naked when im in an enclosed space...

Arjen

The carnifex is great. I have swapped my Geth Engineers Geth Pulse SMG +3 to a Carnifex +2. its like the pistol from Halo 1, a portable sniper rifle.

I need to get it to X though....i feel like im rolling around with underpowered weapons right now.

Also, i just cant get into the sniper builds on infiltrators. Having a Black widow only makes me feel naked when im in an enclosed space...

I just blindfire with the black widow in enclosed space. Works pretty well

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

I actually prefer arpen ammo into frequency for utility. I can use it both defensively and offensively.

Replicant

I kind of hate that turret when I'm playing as other character because when the enemies are Geths, I'd think that it's fire from Geth Pyro team so I'd run away the other way only to run into the real Geth Pyro team. X(

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
where can I see leaderboards for 360 and PS3. Are there separate leaderboards for all platforms?

Yes, but you can easily fire a proximity mine and still get the cloak bonus. It's harder, yes, but it's doable. And you get some more survivability.

Just finished my second Firebase White Geth Gold match without a decoy. Feels like I'm playing without training wheels now. OK, scratch that -- it's still really easy, but definitely more of a challenge.

BTW: I *love* my Geth Engineer. Speccing the turret to restore shields makes him an awesome support character that can still dish out a great deal of damage.

Kinda bummed the Premium Spectre Packs are going away today. My last one contained GPS VII. Aww yeah! Can't wait until that baby is maxed out!

H3xum

Minimum of 8 premium spectre packs and all I have to show for it is a harpoon gun IV, geth smg lvl III, that stupid krogan AR that shoots grenades like freaking level 5, Batarian Soldier and Drell Adept.

No geth, no asari :(

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Commendation Pack just popped up for me a few minutes ago for the Operator Raptor challenge, and it gave me an N7 Crusader II, a +5 Thermal Pack and Incendiary Rounds III - I got the upgrade I wanted, aside from not getting the Valiant.

But I didn't get the Victory Pack though - although it did show up that night but I never got to redeem it.

I honestly think the highest DPS is the Geth Infiltrator with GPS. Very little aiming required, and it can 1 or 2 shot everything but the highest tiered enemies (2 shot a Phantom), without a headshot required, so long as you're firing when cloaked.

Amazing class, makes Silver feel like Bronze. Gold like Silver.

Replicant

Just got Geth Engineer. Now I can play with fire turret like those Geth Pyro bosh'tet. I hope they like a taste of their own medicine.

Kinda bummed the Premium Spectre Packs are going away today. My last one contained GPS VII. Aww yeah! Can't wait until that baby is maxed out!

Wait what? What time does it end?

X-Frame

Just got Geth Engineer. Now I can play with fire turret like those Geth Pyro bosh'tet. I hope they like a taste of their own medicine.

Noooo don't go with the Flamethrower, go the 100% allied shields restoration route!

Way more valuable than the flamethrower.

Isn't PSN down right now..?

Well I thought so but I could sign in so I give it a shot. Apparently not. Anyway, requote myself from lonely earlier post :

So I'm think about maximazing the damage output one player can deal with one shot.

Geth infiltrator
Proxy mine to soften a target and make it 20% more vulnerable
Go for cloak damage bonus + headshot bonus
Hunter vision for weapons damage
Weapon damage all the way and geth weapon damage bonus
Javalin X
Barrel mod V
Piercing mod V
Sniper rifle amp III
Armor piercing mod 3

Can a Prime get his armor down in a single headshot ?

hwalker84

I really like the Geth Infiltrator

I'm a sniper so all I do is cloak. Headshot and then immediately throw the proximity mine before the cloak goes away.

Top Bottom