• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

Commodore

Speaking of fun characters to play on silver, love the drell adept. Quick, deadly versatile. Haven't tried him on gold yet. Anyone ever created a list of a great characters on silver versus gold?

Veezy

que?
I've only played bronze so far, but the Krogan Vanguard (Battlemaster) is incredibly fun. I'm going for a 6/0/6/6/6 shotgun/melee build and I'm having a blast. Keep barrier up, charge when shield is low, melee to rage, headbutt to victory.

Is this something that's viable in Gold? I mean, I obviously know I'll need to be conservative, but I really enjoy smashing face.

EDIT: I don't mind the pay for points system too much, as it seems the better you do the more points you get so you can play your way to more packs. I am thoroughly frustrated with having color options locked out. Having to unlock rare packs to get more colors for the rare card you needed to begin with is a bummer.

I started playing the MP yesterday and I get the idea that I wasted a lot of credits buying Recruit packs over and over trying to unlock characters (which it says is possible in the description). Come to find out that the aliens are all rare cards, agh!.

Starting out, what's a good option to go with to make that paypuh? I've got a Geth Eng, Quarian Inf and Turian Soldier aside from the humans. Haven't really unlocked any weapons or than Revenant, the Mattock and some SMG with 20 rounds in the clip.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Its a good idea to buy cheap recruit packs to max out your starter weapons and mods. Especially the Mantis.

rozay

Banned
I started playing the MP yesterday and I get the idea that I wasted a lot of credits buying Recruit packs over and over trying to unlock characters (which it says is possible in the description). Come to find out that the aliens are all rare cards, agh!.

Starting out, what's a good option to go with to make that paypuh? I've got a Geth Eng, Quarian Inf and Turian Soldier aside from the humans. Haven't really unlocked any weapons or than Revenant, the Mattock and some SMG with 20 rounds in the clip.
If you're just starting out, it's worth spamming recruit packs to get high levels of the starter weapons and some mods. The Turian soldier is really good with the revenant, just max Marksman first.

Xevren

I've only played bronze so far, but the Krogan Vanguard (Battlemaster) is incredibly fun. I'm going for a 6/0/6/6/6 shotgun/melee build and I'm having a blast. Keep barrier up, charge when shield is low, melee to rage, headbutt to victory.

Is this something that's viable in Gold? I mean, I obviously know I'll need to be conservative, but I really enjoy smashing face.

EDIT: I don't mind the pay for points system too much, as it seems the better you do the more points you get so you can play your way to more packs. I am thoroughly frustrated with having color options locked out. Having to unlock rare packs to get more colors for the rare card you needed to begin with is a bummer.

It would be fun if Rage worked. The melee reduction and boosts for it are bugged.

So tempted to play gold matches for the premium spectre packs but I think im happy with silver matches seeing as im good with my Carnifex and Avenger. Is the GPS really that good? I have it at V and I never touched it in my life.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
So tempted to play gold matches for the premium spectre packs but I think im happy with silver matches seeing as im good with my Carnifex and Avenger. Is the GPS really that good? I have it at V and I never touched it in my life.
Its good, but not so good that you HAVE to have it.

rozay

Banned
you'll eventually get bored shooting dudes with the carnifex, even if it is overall one of the best weapons in the game.

It's good because it's basically not a shotgun lol

Nert

Once you go gold you'll never go back. Lol well me me anyway. I love getting all them credits on gold. Fun times. :-D

Getting to the point where I could consistently farm Geth on Gold kind of killed it for me. I was having a fun time trying out different builds and characters on Silver; the lower rate of credit acquisition made me spend less time thinking about the packs. Sitting behind a desk in Firebase White for half an hour isn't very fun, but once I got used to getting a pack after every round, Silver began to feel like a "waste" (which is of course stupid, as the purpose of playing of a video game is to have fun, but I still can't shake that feeling).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Getting to the point where I could consistently farm Geth on Gold kind of killed it for me. I was having a fun time trying out different builds and characters on Silver; the lower rate of credit acquisition made me spend less time thinking about the packs. Sitting behind a desk in Firebase White for half an hour isn't very fun, but once I got used to getting a pack after every round, Silver began to feel like a "waste" (which is of course stupid, as the purpose of playing of a video game is to have fun, but I still can't shake that feeling).
I feel the same way, unfortunately. Guaranteed credits is hard to turn down, especially when you want to just max out a weapon.

I feel the same way, unfortunately. Guaranteed credits is hard to turn down, especially when you want to just max out a weapon.
Or unlock a damn weapon that you haven't been able to since launch.

They really nailed the gamer psychology down for this release of play vs reward and compulsive behavior creation. Kind of sickening really. I have probably unlocked hundreds of Spectre packs by now, and yet I still feel I need more.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Once you go gold you'll never go back. Lol well me me anyway. I love getting all them credits on gold. Fun times. :-D

I go back all the time, Silver with a random group is more of a challenge than gold geth farming, it also allows me to play classes that aren't really optimal on Gold.

As far as credits go I don't need any at this point. I've got Carnifex X, GPS X, Claymore X, Widow X, Tempest X, all mods maxed, and a Black Widow. I'd like about 9 more levels on the Black Widow but I'm not going to grind credits for a slim possibility, makes no sense when I can actually have fun doing other things.

Xevren

I'm pretty happy on silver. Unless I'm playing with a full group of friends we'll try gold. Just got tired of the random dumbass crap on gold that would get us killed. At least on silver I can just have fun and even carry the team sometimes if need be.

I go back all the time, Silver with a random group is more of a challenge than gold geth farming, it also allows me to play classes that aren't really optimal on Gold.

As far as credits go I don't need any at this point. I've got Carnifex X, GPS X, Claymore X, Widow X, Tempest X, all mods maxed, and a Black Widow. I'd like about 9 more levels on the Black Widow but I'm not going to grind credits for a slim possibility, makes no sense when I can actually have fun doing other things.

see for me, i really want a Carnifex X and a black widow x.

What packs did you mainly buy to get those weapons maxed out?

I have Black Widow on 1 and Carnifex on 2 and just cant seem to get them any higher.

rozay

Banned

What packs did you mainly buy to get those weapons maxed out?

I have Black Widow on 1 and Carnifex on 2 and just cant seem to get them any higher.
Spectres. I got lucky and got 2 carnifexes in a row in premium spectres though.

I have been buying a lot of veteran packs to get the level X vindicator, mattock, phalanx and eviscerator, and I'm glad to say that my medigel count is at 87 now. Will be hard once I'm done though...the only other guns I care to level are the revenant, carnifex, GPS and claymore and that'll be impossible to do with regular spectres :(

Replicant

Finally got Geth Plasma Shotgun and Carnifex in one package. GPS 1 is very heavy though so no way I'm using that until it's less heavy. Carnifex seems okay but the fire rate is so low. Am I the only one who prefers to wield Assault Rifle because they tend to have high fire rate? I find the high fire rate tends to stop enemy in their track. Or am I doing it wrong and should be carrying pistols with heavy damage instead? Never going to carry Arc again though. That is one annoying weapon.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Finally got Geth Plasma Shotgun and Carnifex in one package. GPS 1 is very heavy though so no way I'm using that until it's less heavy. Carnifex seems okay but the fire rate is so low. Am I the only one who prefers to wield Assault Rifle because they tend to have high fire rate? I find the high fire rate tends to stop enemy in their track. Or am I doing it wrong and should be carrying pistols with heavy damage instead? Never going to carry Arc again though. That is one annoying weapon.
what difficulty do you play on? That makes a huge difference. In bronze and silver you can afford to get out of cover and trade off with enemies. SMGs and ARs are great when you are trying to set up tech explosions with special ammo types, but outside of that I typically don't touch them.

Why spend time whittling someone down when you can give them one headshot and move on?

as soon as i moved from Bronze to Silver (occasional gold) - these are the things i did:

1) stopped using human vanguard
2) stopped using assault rifles
3) Used geth engineer with carnifex
4) learnt how to use an infiltrator class (geth or others) with a black widow and a near weightless Geth SMG for backup.
5) Learned how to stay in cover, popup for headshot then come down.
6) learned how much geth hunter mode nerfs your shields in Silver/Gold..

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Not having an event this weekend pretty much killed the momentum for me.

Cobra84

Not having an event this weekend pretty much killed the momentum for me.

I can't say I care about events where the only rewards are under leveled guns and terrible packs. The glitches, lag, and nonexistent balance have made me lose interest.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Yeah, well, when you have all those weapons at X... I wouldn't worry about credits either. lol

I need to get those weapons leveled up. my GPS is still level 1 and my Carnifex is level 3.
I did play silver with a friend and some ransoms. That was fun. My friend and I were both Krogan Battlemasters, we just went around meleeing everything. Lol one thing I found out was the Atlas has a one hit kill. Never knew that.

Dreamer RD

Didnt knew that I have all weapons at level X except ultra rare ones. That explains why Im getting those shitty character xp cards.

Tried Saber V on Gold for the first time with level III AR boost and its epic. Destroying Pyros/Hunters/Rocket dudes in 2-3 shots. Cool gun, after all.

Cat Party

I tried my Phaeston X on Silver with my Asari Adept since they buffed ARs. It was surprisingly good. It's light enough that I still get 180% cooldown, but it does much more effective damage than the Phalanx or Carnifex that I was using (both low level).

Mindlog

Fun characters to play on Silver: Turian Soldier, SMG III Amp, Tempest X.
You will finish with the top score. Guaranteed.

Premium Spectre packs a while back did the trick for me. They leveled most of my Gold weapons to X. I have no idea what level your Black Widow is now, but I would give up on the dream of a Black Widow X.

Like I gave up on ever getting a Batarian Sentinel. I'm pretty sure I have every other item the Resurgence DLC had to offer.

Didnt knew that I have all weapons at level X except ultra rare ones. That explains why Im getting those shitty character xp cards.

Tried Saber V on Gold for the first time with level III AR boost and its epic. Destroying Pyros/Hunters/Rocket dudes in 2-3 shots. Cool gun, after all.
I have a Saber III that I was using on my Batarian Soldier for a while. My Valiant is lighter though so I switched back to that. It's hard for me to choose between the Valiant and Saber.

My Ultra Rares:
Black Widow I
Javelin II (thought it was III)
Wraith II
Paladin I
Saber III
Talon I
Scorpion
Batarian Sentinel

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm kinda pissed off that i got 3-4 Batarian Sentinels cards so far, and still no Geths or Krogan Vanguards.

Do randoms just hate justicars, even on silver? I see a lot of geths and a bunch of batarians and krogan vanguards, but justicar? Pretty rare. I love them!

Dreamer RD

I have a Saber III that I was using on my Batarian Soldier for a while. My Valiant is lighter though so I switched back to that. It's hard for me to choose between the Valiant and Saber.

My Ultra Rares:
Black Widow I
Javelin II (thought it was III)
Wraith II
Paladin I
Saber III
Talon I
Scorpion

Man, those last 2 are so shitty that I even forgot about them being ultra rare haha.
Here's my list of ultra rare stuff

gwrtw.jpg

Bisnic

I have one ultra rare. ONE.

Either im very unlucky, or you guys play much more than me.(around 2 or 3 silver matches everyday i'd say for me)

jesus. People on silver STILL running to the extraction zone before the last 20s. it fucks it up for all of us! just played through on silver for Firebase dagger and had to carry pretty much everyone with my geth infiltrator. Some of these guys had a MUCH higher N7 ranking than me which goes to show it really doesnt mean anything.

BTW - carnifex III and black widow on geth infiltrator is great - esp now with the 25% reduction in sniper rifle weight.

What are the optimal classes/builds for gold play?

for me - i use my geth engineer with chain overload, carnifex 3, hunter mode maxed out and geth turret set to flame thrower.

OR

Geth infiltrator (leave proxy mine on 0) everything else on 6. basically, hunter mode on all the time, cloak - black widow shots, rinse and repeat. when it gets to close encounters i use a pretty much weightless Geth SMG IV OR a Carnifex III if i can take the weight increase hit.

Sai

Either im very unlucky, or you guys play much more than me.(around 2 or 3 silver matches everyday i'd say for me)
I play a lot less, and I've gotten a Javelin and Talon.

If they were a Saber and Black Widow, I'd be much happier about it... :(

Premium Spectre packs a while back did the trick for me. They leveled most of my Gold weapons to X. I have no idea what level your Black Widow is now, but I would give up on the dream of a Black Widow X.

Like I gave up on ever getting a Batarian Sentinel. I'm pretty sure I have every other item the Resurgence DLC had to offer.

i got 4 of those in a ROW the other day on resurgence packs :/

X-Frame

What is the most efficient way to get more ammo consumables? Recruit or Veteran Packs? Ideally, more level II and III would be best.

EekTheKat

Just got my Gethgineer last night (the last DLC class I was missing) and it's pretty much as good as I thought it would be. Though I'm thinking about respeccing out of a pure healer Geth turret due to how shield gating works on players.

I still have never seen a Black Widow or a Saber though, but I do seem to be on the shotgun express though. Claymore is up to VIII, GPS is up to VIII.

Bisnic

What is the most efficient way to get more ammo consumables? Recruit or Veteran Packs? Ideally, more level II and III would be best.

I'd say Veteran, 20k is not a lot, and with 2 silver matches, you can buy 3 of them. You'll only get consumables of level II though. Recruits only have level I.

And this game has got to have the weirdest online exclusive glitches i've ever seen.

After 3 waves, i couldnt :

1) hurt or kill anything
2) pick up ammo packs
3) climb ladders
4) die

And still enemies could see me. I was basically a live, walking Decoy for a few waves until something somehow managed to kill me and when i came back to life, all bugs were gone.

mind-blownnck0n.gif

Mindlog

2-4 the days that I can, but I let others play and earn me credits. It's the main reason I play on 360 instead of PC.

Every class can succeed in Gold part 9.
I select Tempest X Turian Soldier, SMG III, Cryo Ammo 3 and search for a random Silver lobby. I wanted to test freeze ray spray. Host decides to bump it up to Gold. This is easy for the others because they were 2 Asari Adepts and an Infiltrator. I ready up anyway (forgetting to change my ammo.)

25 minutes later on Ghost - Cerberus - Gold we win and I am very close to the leader. We all had similar scores. I know if I had Warp or AP instead of Cryo ammo I would have done much better. That's the first time I've tried Gold with a non-Batarian soldier.

i got 4 of those in a ROW the other day on resurgence packs :/
I'm never going to get one it seems. After my last game I got a Spectre pack. The Gold item was an Asari Adept. The other items sucked too, but at least it had 5 Medigel.

For consumables I would like to spam recruit packs, but it takes too long and I get impatient.

I love my medic gethgineer, usually. Ran into a Salarian infiltrator host today, did nothing but complain about how bad everyone else was. Kinda killed my desire to play for the rest of the day.

I love my medic gethgineer, usually. Ran into a Salarian infiltrator host today, did nothing but complain about how bad everyone else was. Kinda killed my desire to play for the rest of the day.
That class can make people feel they're much better than they actually are. It does for me.

Sai

So, I unlocked the N7 Valiant from the Operation Raptor Commendation Pack.

It's pretty neat.
D:

If I knew you could unlock N7 Weapons, I'd have been playing all weekend. I really want to give my Vanguard the Crusader.

[EDIT] - Sorry, misunderstood. Thought you were talking about the Resurgence Pack for some reason... My bad. :p

Top Bottom