• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

rozay

Banned
here's an interesting themed gold run-4 justicars deploying 4 bubbles on top of each other. Would you get 80% damage reduction while inside?

keeth

Neo Member
That class can make people feel they're much better than they actually are. It does for me.

No kidding. I'm specced out for offense instead of medic, but when (on bronze) I'm consistently 15-20k in front of the other players? Something's wrong, because no way am I that good! Like.. no way in hell!

I'm sticking with low-level guns, too.. well, whichever assault rifle is the first one, once it's up to X, it's actually not half bad!

(Again -- on bronze.)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
here's an interesting themed gold run-4 justicars deploying 4 bubbles on top of each other. Would you get 80% damage reduction while inside?

Pretty sure i heard it doesnt stack from Bioware themselves.

I know the Fitness tree of the krogan battlemaster is broken, but is it just the melee points or the whole thing? Even health and shield ones?

Just finished my first gold match against the Reapers -- holy CRAP was that intense! I'm finding that since I've quit gold farming on Firebase White, I'm really enjoying the game again. It's just a damn shame it's so difficult to actually find a RANDOM match on Gold (it seems every match I join is Firebase white). I'll be happy if I NEVER play that map again.

Ironically, that Reaper match I just won? It was set to random, yet it picked Firebase White. Go figure! :D

Chanser

Completed silver on Firebase Hydra. Then we went onto gold on Firebase Glacier and we somehow managed to complete the wave 10 objectives but we all died in the end. This was with a group of randoms and boy was it intense, my offensive Geth turret didn't last at all.

Kenaras

Just finished my first gold match against the Reapers -- holy CRAP was that intense! I'm finding that since I've quit gold farming on Firebase White, I'm really enjoying the game again. It's just a damn shame it's so difficult to actually find a RANDOM match on Gold (it seems every match I join is Firebase white). I'll be happy if I NEVER play that map again.

Ironically, that Reaper match I just won? It was set to random, yet it picked Firebase White. Go figure! :D

I rarely play Firebase White anymore, but I still never do Random/Random Gold matches - at least not with publics. It helps tremendously to know what we'll be up against. I've had the best success with Geth/Reactor, Cerberus/Dagger, and Reapers/Giant. White can still be a fun map if you mix up the enemy types and/or don't camp the bottom room.

Also, I find that the settings for Gold matches has a huge influence on the quality of players you'll get. Choosing a difficult combination or Random/Random will mostly stick you with new players who don't know any better. Choosing a sensible combination will generally result in skilled and experienced players who are bored with GGW.

Replicant

I rarely play Firebase White anymore, but I still never do Random/Random Gold matches - at least not with publics. It helps tremendously to know what we'll be up against. I've had the best success with Geth/Reactor, Cerberus/Dagger, and Reapers/Giant. White can still be a fun map if you mix up the enemy types and/or don't camp the bottom room.

Ha ha. I thought I'm the only one who likes to do DCS (Dagger Cerberus Silver) but every time I look for it, there's always a lot of randoms about to do the same thing.

In other note, Condor is still fucking awful. I wish someone would just delete that map off for good. And for some reason, if you play Silver, you tend to get Condor a lot unless you specify which area you want.

Hadn't played this for like 3 weeks until yesterday. Got a Geth Engineer in the 1st pack I bought, which was the freebie from whatever challenge weekend. He's now my favorite to play cuz of dat flamethrowin' turret.

We've had Bronze mastered but I never moved on from it till yesterday. 2 of the guys had done gold runs but not me. We got probably 1:5 victory to loss ratio? Some of those maps were rough, we did random for most of the night. It was easy to get swarmed but we had fun. Buying packs is like an addiction man. I should be working on my gaming backlog but this ME3 multi has got me hooked

Bisnic

I feel like my Salaran Infiltrator with a Black Widow I(with rank 5 damage mod) isnt that strong...

Should i take the 2 talents that improve weapon damage rather than the one reducing weapon weight + improving power damage and the one reducing sniper weight?

I'm sure it shouldnt take me more than Cloak + Energy Drain + 3 Black Widow shots to kill 1 Geth Pyro on Silver! But i fear the weight of the Black Widow without the talents is going to hurt my Cloak cooldown too much...

I seem to only play Gold now. Silver is too full of people who don't know how to revive. In gold, if you lose a guy, you know you're screwed. Gold seems to promote team dynamics.

Dreamer RD

Human Soldier with GPS X is epic. Got first place with 114k on Gold FB white yesterday with 1 Sal Eng (Kishock level 1) and 1 Sal Inf (Black Widow 1). Never died and even revived those fools a couple of times. 2 rockets used, that was uneccesary though.
You basically shooting non stop with Adrenaline reloading + grenade reload cancel.

Not to keep harping on the same note, but I played White Gold Geth last night with my Salarian Engineer and 2 Asari Justicars and 1 Asari Vanguard. There was NO muscle in our team, none. Justicars just aren't powerful enough to handle gold. The Vanguard player was doing his part with Stasis, but that's their only viable power on gold.

I stand firm on Justicars being only a buffing class and not one that can stand on their own. Only skilled and experienced players would be able to make the class viable, and only with another adept/human sentinel.

Edit: Anyone down for Gold farming tonight around 5-6pm Pacific? Send a FR to Xbox GT: Major Williams

Ha. Was camping the room at the top of the stairs on Firebase Giant with a couple of Geth Infiltrators during the extraction wave. At 20 seconds they make a beeline for the extraction point. I move to follow, then realize I'm a Salarian Engineer and I don't have cloak. The 4th guy was already dead (Krogan Vanguard).

Yep, partial extraction.

rozay

Banned
Not to keep harping on the same note, but I played White Gold Geth last night with my Salarian Engineer and 2 Asari Justicars and 1 Asari Vanguard. There was NO muscle in our team, none. Justicars just aren't powerful enough to handle gold. The Vanguard player was doing his part with Stasis, but that's their only viable power on gold.

I stand firm on Justicars being only a buffing class and not one that can stand on their own. Only skilled and experienced players would be able to make the class viable, and only with another adept/human sentinel.
Reave isn't very effective against geth, so yes they are pretty useless against them. Not the same for the other two factions.

Tbh I would never bring a justicar into a farming game because overload and warp fuck with each other and constant biotic explosions against a prime is better than the bubble. Don't understand why people bring them, but I always see people who have no idea what they're doing in pubs.

rozay

Banned
I feel like my Salaran Infiltrator with a Black Widow I(with rank 5 damage mod) isnt that strong...

Should i take the 2 talents that improve weapon damage rather than the one reducing weapon weight + improving power damage and the one reducing sniper weight?

I'm sure it shouldnt take me more than Cloak + Energy Drain + 3 Black Widow shots to kill 1 Geth Pyro on Silver! But i fear the weight of the Black Widow without the talents is going to hurt my Cloak cooldown too much...
I honestly think the mantis or regular widow work better on a SI.

Human Soldier with GPS X is epic. Got first place with 114k on Gold FB white yesterday with 1 Sal Eng (Kishock level 1) and 1 Sal Inf (Black Widow 1). Never died and even revived those fools a couple of times. 2 rockets used, that was uneccesary though.
You basically shooting non stop with Adrenaline reloading + grenade reload cancel.

What Grenade Reload cancel?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Edit: Anyone down for Gold farming tonight around 5-6pm Pacific? Send a FR to Xbox GT: Major Williams

I've seen Asari Vanguards solo gold.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Reave isn't very effective against geth, so yes they are pretty useless against them. Not the same for the other two factions.

Tbh I would never bring a justicar into a farming game because overload and warp fuck with each other and constant biotic explosions against a prime is better than the bubble. Don't understand why people bring them, but I always see people who have no idea what they're doing in pubs.

I've seen a Justicar set off fireworks just fine. Reave is just not all that special against Geth though. Bubble shenanigans are cray

Mindlog

It's been pretty hard trying to random Gold without Geth and White being involved. Played 3 maps today. 2 Gold and 1 Silver.

After the two gold matches I'm wondering why it took me so long to switch from Carnifex to Widow on my Salarian Engineer. I'm much more effective this way.

Eventually I got tired of dropping from Geth-White rooms so I switched to Silver. I added a Stabilization Module to the Tempest Turian Soldier. Random/random drew Giant/Reapers. My final score was more than the rest of the team combined. I occasionally charged Banshees because I can reliably burst their jump bumbles before they grab me. SMG III, Warp III and Stabilization III setup is crazy powerful.

Lastly bought 4 Spectre packs not expecting to get much.
1st pack: Batarian Sentinel. Finally!
2nd Pack: Javelin III
3rd Pack: Crap
4th Pack: Javelin IV

That's my best run of Spectre packs in a very long time.

Bisnic

Just tried Krogan Battlemaster for the first time, builded as "tank". Man this guy never dies on Silver!

Although i wish i had chosen extra weapon damage after a biotic charge instead of melee, i miss my melee hits too much.

exYle

How much of a tank is it in comparison to Krogan Sentinel? I think Krogan Sentinel's health is around 1238 and his shield is 1600. Crazy.

1600/1600, plus the ability to instantly recharge his shields. Sentinel is nothing now, I haven't touched any other Krogans after I got my battlemaster.

Replicant

1600/1600, plus the ability to instantly recharge his shields. Sentinel is nothing now, I haven't touched any other Krogans after I got my battlemaster.

So Vanguard finally has one useful character after all. And here I am planning to just 20'd the Vanguard class and never touch it again because every one seems to hate the class (causing glitch, dying a lot thanks to charge, etc).

In other note, I'm starting to question my decision to get rid of genophage.

rozay

Banned
So Vanguard finally has one useful character after all.
Z1VhW.gif

It's really unfortunate that his Rage tree is broken which causes his damage reduction and melee to be weaker than the other 2 krogans. He is still the hero of Tuchanka regardless. Can't decide whether it's better to run him with a Claymore or a GPS.

Replicant

^

I've seen people got kicked out if they play Vanguards, unless it's Krogan Battlemasters. People just don't like them and for good reasons too. They tend to die in the heat of the battle, leaving the rest of us to pick up the pieces because they die far far away thanks to Biotic charge, while the rest of us were trying to upload data. One guy (actually a Krogan Battlemaster) got glitched and stuck onto the ceiling of F.Giant and after a couple of waves of not being able to do anything, he eventually gave up and quit the game.

exYle

Can't decide whether it's better to run him with a Claymore or a GPS.

I use a Disciple. Having Barrier on and still needing to charge somewhat often kills the appeal of a GPS, even though the Disciple leaves a LOT to be desired...

rozay

Banned
^

I've seen people got kicked out if they play Vanguards, unless it's Krogan Battlemasters. People just don't like them and for good reasons too. They tend to die in the heat of the battle, leaving the rest of us to pick up the pieces because they die far far away thanks to Biotic charge, while the rest of us were trying to upload data. One guy (actually a Krogan Battlemaster) got glitched and stuck onto the ceiling of F.Giant and after a couple of waves of not being able to do anything, he eventually gave up and quit the game.
Pub games are filled with idiots, both the people who don't play vanguard effectively and those who auto-kick. On gold I feel like it's acceptable to kick a vanguard who isn't host because it's hard as fuck to beat with 3 people (and it's a lot likelier you will lose the vanguard)

They fucking do work if you're playing with a good team though
I use a Disciple. Having Barrier on and still needing to charge somewhat often kills the appeal of a GPS, even though the Disciple leaves a LOT to be desired...
It's a good gun, I just feel like it's not the right choice in terms of range and damage. I think with a high level GPS you can still get over 100% cooldown bonus with barrier on which is fine since he needs to charge a lot less than humans/asari/drell with his massive HP and damage reduction. That being said I generally rely on guns and cover with the krogan more than the human vanguard with nova, so a GPS with ammo/melee attachments or a claymore with a smart choke/barrel extension seem to be better choices to attack at a distance.

I think the carnifex, paladin or talon aren't bad choices either since they have melee attachments and do good damage, but I can't use them because the mesh texture under his armor looks visibly stretched and bad. it bothers me :( Graal seems to behave funny unless you're the host so I haven't tried it either.

Replicant

Pub games are filled with idiots, both the people who don't play vanguard effectively and those who auto-kick. On gold I feel like it's acceptable to kick a vanguard who isn't host because it's hard as fuck to beat with 3 people (and it's a lot likelier you will lose the vanguard)

They fucking do work if you're playing with a good team though.

Which is why I say they're fucking useless most of the time. If the only time they work is when you're playing with known quality team mates, then the class isn't much too brag for. Many people play the MP with randoms and as such, the variables of a random using Vanguard is too much on the negative side. Maybe it's okay on Bronze since it's the level you can use to fuck around. But on Silver or Gold? Fuck No!

The last thing you need in the heat of Silver's last 5 waves is some Vanguard who'll charge into a Turret that's not even half-destroyed and die halfway through. Who'd then got pissy and left the game when no one can revive him in time. Gee, I wonder why? Maybe it's because there's two fucking turrets and few Phantoms on top of your dead carcass!! And that's not counting glitches that cause them to quit halfway through.

Is it my weapons or are do the enemies have way more health in MP? I haven't strayed from Silver yet and I don't seem to be killing anything, shit my shots don't even have any effect on their health bars.

It could be lag, because sometimes I could throw a warp and start firing full-auto until my ammo runs out then it says my warp killed them

Weapons I'm using now are a Predator V and a Hornet II

DY_nasty

Is it my weapons or are do the enemies have way more health in MP? I haven't strayed from Silver yet and I don't seem to be killing anything, shit my shots don't even have any effect on their health bars.

It could be lag, because sometimes I could throw a warp and start firing full-auto until my ammo runs out then it says my warp killed them

Weapons I'm using now are a Predator V and a Hornet II
That's a huge reason.

Those guns blow. Typically, you should rely on your powers and abilities over anything else.

Kenaras

They should fix that broken fitness shit on Krogan Van. Fucking Bioware (or EA?)
What a garbage company :\

The multiplayer was packed full of serious bugs at launch. It's now been seven weeks, and not a single one has been fixed.

Which is why I say they're fucking useless most of the time. If the only time they work is when you're playing with known quality team mates, then the class isn't much too brag for. Many people play the MP with randoms and as such, the variables of a random using Vanguard is too much on the negative side. Maybe it's okay on Bronze since it's the level you can use to fuck around. But on Silver or Gold? Fuck No!

The last thing you need in the heat of Silver's last 5 waves is some Vanguard who'll charge into a Turret that's not even half-destroyed and die halfway through. Who'd then got pissy and left the game when no one can revive him in time. Gee, I wonder why? Maybe it's because there's two fucking turrets and few Phantoms on top of your dead carcass!! And that's not counting glitches that cause them to quit halfway through.

The fastest way to clear any difficulty - including Gold - is to stay together and keep mobile. A decent Vanguard absolutely shines in this scenario, and becomes a wrecking ball when paired with biotic support. The problem is that most players aren't good enough to play this way on Gold. So instead, they choose a map with a defensible camping spot, choose an enemy type with no effective way of breaking through, and don't move unless an objective wave forces them to.

The problem with Vanguards isn't that they require quality teammates to support them. The problem is that they just don't work well when using the farming strategy most players want to use.

DY_nasty

The fastest way to clear any difficulty - including Gold - is to stay together and keep mobile. A decent Vanguard absolutely shines in this scenario, and becomes a wrecking ball when paired with biotic support. The problem is that most players aren't good enough to play this way on Gold. So instead, they choose a map with a defensible camping spot, choose an enemy type with no effective way of breaking through, and don't move unless an objective wave forces them to.

The problem with Vanguards isn't that they require quality teammates to support them. The problem is that they just don't work well when using the farming strategy most players want to use.
This.

All you need is one guy in the back casting Reave or spamming Warp and you've got a locomotive that will steamroll anything.

Replicant

The fastest way to clear any difficulty - including Gold - is to stay together and keep mobile.

You know that's not possible with hacking mission.

A decent Vanguard absolutely shines in this scenario, and becomes a wrecking ball when paired with biotic support. The problem is that most players aren't good enough to play this way on Gold. So instead, they choose a map with a defensible camping spot, choose an enemy type with no effective way of breaking through, and don't move unless an objective wave forces them to.

I wasn't even talking about farming mission. I was talking about general missions with a bunch of randoms where YOU can't control much of the variables. What strategy? I think the real expertise of a player and the effectiveness of their class is truly revealed in a non-strategic game with a bunch of randoms. This is the kind of mission where you have to rely on the co-operation of perfect strangers to get a mission done and without knowing the strength and weaknesses of each player. You have to assess right on the field about the kind of players you get as your team members and who you can rely or can't rely on. Most of the time you can only hope that they get on with the objective instead of fucking around with enemies far away from the rest of us.

The problem with Vanguards is having a player who uses Biotic Charge effectively/sparingly and not zip-zagging all over the place the minute they see new enemies appearing. I also don't think Vanguards have the ability to carry the entire team in case half or most of the team are wiped out. If a Vanguard is the last person to live, he'll likely able to run around if there aren't that many deadly enemies. But in harder waves, their health is quickly thinned out without the support of other classes. In my experience, Infiltrators and Engineers are the two classes that can carry the whole team when half or most are wiped out. In fact, I saw this cool guy who single-handedly killed 2 Atlases, 3 Engineers, a turret, and 2 Phantoms all on his own in a silver game after the rest of us conked out. He was manning an Infiltrator + sniper rifle and rocked them. I was in half disbelief and half full of admiration because I seriously thought we wouldn't made it past wave 8. But we did and thanks to him, we made it all the way to the end. Everyone was on their best behavior and tried their best not to die after that.

rozay

Banned
You know that's not possible with hacking mission.

I wasn't even talking about farming mission. I was talking about general missions with a bunch of randoms where YOU can't control much of the variables. What strategy? I think the real expertise of a player and the effectiveness of their class is truly revealed in a non-strategic game with a bunch of randoms. This is the kind of mission where you have to rely on the co-operation of perfect strangers to get a mission done and without knowing the strength and weaknesses of each player. You have to assess right on the field about the kind of players you get as your team members and who you can rely or can't rely on. Most of the time you can only hope that they get on with the objective instead of fucking around with enemies far away from the rest of us.

The problem with Vanguards is having a player who uses Biotic Charge effectively/sparingly and not zip-zagging all over the place the minute they see new enemies appearing. I also don't think Vanguards have the ability to carry the entire team in case half or most of the team are wiped out. If a Vanguard is the last person to live, he'll likely able to run around if there aren't that many deadly enemies. But in harder waves, their health is quickly thinned out without the support of other classes. In my experience, Infiltrators and Engineers are the two classes that can carry the whole team when half or most are wiped out. In fact, I saw this cool guy who single-handedly killed 2 Atlases, 3 Engineers, a turret, and 2 Phantoms all on his own in a silver game after the rest of us conked out. He was manning an Infiltrator + sniper rifle and rocked them. I was in half disbelief and half full of admiration because I seriously thought we wouldn't made it past wave 8. But we did and thanks to him, we made it all the way to the end. Everyone was on their best behavior and tried their best not to die after that.
You can complete what you just described with a vanguard. The only class you would have trouble completing it with is a quarian engineer or a human adept.

Replicant

You can complete what you just described with a vanguard. The only class you would have trouble completing it with is a quarian engineer or a human adept.

Eh, I disagree. While not to the extent of the cool Infiltrator, I also have seen a Quarian Engineer single-handedly destroyed 2 Geth Primes and 2 Geth Pyros. Granted, it's Firebase Giant so he/she had a lot of room to maneuver and lead all of them on a merry-go-round chase where she ended up picking them off one by one eventually. Her turret was also set to Rockets so I guess it helped.

Kenaras

Silver? Are you kidding me? Even a braindead Human Vanguard can solo pretty much anything on Silver. The only thing that really gives them trouble are device objectives.

rozay

Banned
Eh, I disagree. While not to the extent of the cool Infiltrator, I also have seen a Quarian Engineer single-handedly destroyed 2 Geth Primes and 2 Geth Pyros. Granted, it's Firebase Giant so he/she had a lot of room to maneuver and lead all of them on a merry-go-round chase where she ended up picking them off one by one eventually. Her turret was also set to Rockets so I guess it helped.
they'd be pretty weapon dependent and would have to use good turret placement to kill the phantoms-cryo is useless.
Silver? Are you kidding me? Even a braindead Human Vanguard can solo pretty much anything on Silver. The only thing that really gives them trouble are device objectives.
but really, the only class that can easily do device objectives is the infiltrator so id assume every class is automatically inferior in his book

Replicant

People always say this but I never encounter anyone who plays solo or even two people team and make it past wave 6 on Silver without other people's help beforehand (aka other team mates have already eliminated most of the enemies so only 2-5 enemies left for that one person). It sounds like BS to me. Show me a video of YOU playing it solo as Vanguard from wave 1 to 11 if you're that confident about being able to do this on Silver.

but really, the only class that can easily do device objectives is the infiltrator so id assume every class is automatically inferior in his book

Did I say that? Oh wait, I didn't. I said one guy playing Infiltrator was awesome. Also, IME, Infiltrator and Engineers are the best two classes in the MP. I'm not sure about Adept but I find it more of a support than offensive role. Soldier is not my type but they are at least built like a tank. That leaves Vanguard as my least favorite.

exYle

People always say this but I never encounter anyone who plays solo or even two people team and make it past wave 6 on Silver without other people's help beforehand (aka other team mates have already eliminated most of the enemies so only 2-5 enemies left for that one person). It sounds like BS to me. Show me a video of YOU playing it if you're that confident about being able to do this.

Are you referring to Vanguards only? My friend and I went Salarian and Human Infiltrator and we did solo by ourselves easily.

Also, IME, Infiltrator and Engineers are the best two classes in the MP. I'm not sure about Adept but I find it more of a support than offensive role.

Asari/Drell Adepts have the highest damage output to enemies killed ratio of ANY race/class combo, bar none. Assuming relatively equal weapon rarity (e.g, Carnifex X vs Widow X/Predator X vs. Mantis X), an Asari Adept will put down more enemies faster than a Salarian or Geth (best two races) Infiltrator can possibly hope to keep up with.

I find Engineers and Sentinels to be the worst class, I'm honestly baffled you thought that Adepts were support classes and implied Engineers were offense. I apologize if this is rude, but I laughed outright at the proposition.

Replicant

Are you referring to Vanguards only? My friend and I went Salarian and Human Infiltrator and we did solo by ourselves easily.

Yeah Vanguard. And solo means 1 person only. Not two people. Also, vid of this one man army that last from wave 1 to 11? Talk is easy.

Having said that, I'm willing to believe 2 people on silver is a possibility since I did 3 people team with randoms on Silver and we survived to the end.

DY_nasty

I don't even like playing Human Vanguard on anything other than Gold anymore.

Its so easy its boring. Nothing can kill you and you can kill enemies faster than they can leave their spawn. Spamhards and Justicars are a match made in heaven though. They Reave and Bubble up for pure defense to become virtually indestructible and the Vanguards just rove within eye sight demolishing anything with a hint a blue for crazy space magic explosion.

Xevren

I don't even like playing Human Vanguard on anything other than Gold anymore.

Its so easy its boring. Nothing can kill you and you can kill enemies faster than they can leave their spawn. Spamhards and Justicars are a match made in heaven though. They Reave and Bubble up for pure defense to become virtually indestructible and the Vanguards just rove within eye sight demolishing anything with a hint a blue for crazy space magic explosion.

This is definitely true. I still hate random vanguards mainly due to them being idiots, but playing with friends that know what they're doing (IE, hit targets glowing blue) it's just fantastic.

Engineers = Everyone's friend in multi. Chain overload stun someone, turret support. Love it. Its my fave class because you worry more about helping everyone out then just spamming biotic charge to kill people.

Infiltrator = Guardian Angels. Probably my 2nd fave class. Geth Infiltrator, Black Widow - cloak - BOOM. one shot pretty much everyone even going through guardian shields.

I also like the Drell Adept. Since i havent unlocked a proper Asari Adept yet i use the drell and its fairly fun. Pull + Reave = Boom. or Reave, Grenade BOOOOOM. Best way to clear a choke point or an enclosed room.

Vanguard: Fun to show off in front of people on bronze. Only good if you have someone really good backing you up.

Top Bottom