• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

Wow, it seems like they upped the number of phantoms you see in a game because a Cerberus wave on gold is littered with them now. Have yet to get an extraction too. ;_;

EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED TO POST RIGHT NOW.

Did they turn up the number of Phantoms on extraction?

On Gold/Cerberus/Dagger when extraction started 4 Phantoms were coming down the hallway like a flock of birds. A Cobra took care of that.

I played two matches with Salarian Infiltrator on GCD. On the second an N7 19 Krogan joined and no one voted to kick. People are being kind! That poor Krogan died frequently. At first it kept trying to be aggressive. The Krogan quickly learned to stick with the group. As long as people are trying that's OK with me. ~25 minutes later everything is dead and we extract. Only one Quarian was left behind.

In the last two matches I killed at least 15 Phantoms during the extract waves alone. That's a very conservative estimate.

I forgot to refresh the tab before replying~ Yeah, this is what I noticed as well. I normally sill have 4 or 5 Cobras when extract comes around. Thanks to Jumbo Equipment Packs I don't mind using them.

Community event?

[QUOTE='Operation Exorcist' is this weekend's Mass Effect 3 multiplayer event] Listen up soldiers, the System Alliance Military has a special mission for you this weekend. Top brass is aiming to eradicate 1,000,000 Cerberus Phantoms from the face of the galaxy between 6 p.m. Pacific on Friday, April 27 and 5 a.m. Pacific on Monday, April 30. While attempting to surmount this incredible feat, your unit will also be tasked with surviving until extraction from any map set to Gold Difficulty.

Upon successful completion of your squad's personal mission, each of you will be awarded a Commendation Pack for your service to your galaxy. Should the Alliance's overall goal be reached, every member of the System Alliance Military will be granted a Victory Pack. Now suit up, we've got a long weekend ahead of us.

Oh, except for you, PS3 Division. We still need you guys on KP duty, so this mission only applies to Xbox Squadron and the PC Armada.[/QUOTE]

the fuck is wrong with the community on PS3?

tried for well over 3 hours just to beat a silver match, but not even fucking close. everyone is just an idiot, or a loser quitter. every game ended with less than 4 players, because someone quit midway through, i shit you not. every game! what's wrong with people?!? and the last match.. oh my god, i seriously wanted to throw my dualshock at a wall. we are doing just fine, finally a decent team IMO.. wave 9 going on (i think) and i was doing the objectives, got all of them done and thought to myself "fuck yeah, almost over! at least no one has quit" then at the SAME SECOND the fucking host quits! OF COURSE HE QUITS. and the wave wasn't completely done yet so it restarts, with all of the objectives that i did undone... motherfucker. and ohh then i notice there's only 2 players left.... someone else quit too because the host quit. so it's just me and some other player who happened to be pretty high level (370 or something iirc), so i'm thinking we still have a change, just maybe. so he goes and tries to melee a brute and gets killed, then disconnects too. FUCK. i had level III equipment on, wasted 3 medi-gel and both missiles... thanks a lot guys!

worst community since... i don't even know. and i can't remember ever getting this angry over a game recently. completely wasted so many hours, wasted something like 20 medi-gel altogether not to mention countless rare equipment. i didn't even get enough credits to get half of the medi-gel back...

i just cannot stand these quitters, why are they in every game i play? who raised these people? what kind of a culture produces these selfish losers? WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?

Nori Chan

yes widow 7 get :D

and feels good to have more than 20 rocket launcher snow. Started the weekend off with 22 and now I have 38, thank you jumbo equipment pack

Guys. GAISE.

Gold Cerberus White, 19 minutes.

2 Salarian Engineers, 1 Asari Adept, 1 Asari Justicar. Non stop biotic explosions, and easy take down of the heavy atlas.

ScrubJay

the fuck is wrong with the community on PS3?

tried for well over 3 hours just to beat a silver match, but not even fucking close. everyone is just an idiot, or a loser quitter. every game ended with less than 4 players, because someone quit midway through, i shit you not. every game! what's wrong with people?!? and the last match.. oh my god, i seriously wanted to throw my dualshock at a wall. we are doing just fine, finally a decent team IMO.. wave 9 going on (i think) and i was doing the objectives, got all of them done and thought to myself "fuck yeah, almost over! at least no one has quit" then at the SAME SECOND the fucking host quits! OF COURSE HE QUITS. and the wave wasn't completely done yet so it restarts, with all of the objectives that i did undone... motherfucker. and ohh then i notice there's only 2 players left.... someone else quit too because the host quit. so it's just me and some other player who happened to be pretty high level (370 or something iirc), so i'm thinking we still have a change, just maybe. so he goes and tries to melee a brute and gets killed, then disconnects too. FUCK. i had level III equipment on, wasted 3 medi-gel and both missiles... thanks a lot guys!

worst community since... i don't even know. and i can't remember ever getting this angry over a game recently. completely wasted so many hours, wasted something like 20 medi-gel altogether not to mention countless rare equipment. i didn't even get enough credits to get half of the medi-gel back...

i just cannot stand these quitters, why are they in every game i play? who raised these people? what kind of a culture produces these selfish losers? WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?

Silver is a crapshoot. It's frustrating taking 30 minutes for a game and to wipe on wave 10 with one objective left. I think most of the pro players are just min-maxing the time/money ratio and playing Geth Gold white. Even if you get a bad group and wipe on wave 7 or so, it's still way more cost effective to farm Geth and get 30k credits in 15 minutes rather than 30 minutes for 11k on silver.

Got all the characters now except the Batarian Sentinel and the Quarian/Salarian Infilfrators.

Still no Carnifex or Widow.

thats strange man. I have Carnifex IV and Black Widow 1. Id love a Black Widow +5 and Carnifex X - that's my goal for Multi.

Baterian sentinel i have but never used. I REALLY wish you could trade in this game..

Mindlog

RE: Tempest Turian

With Marksman on the cross hairs shouldn't expand at all.

This is my current Turian Soldier. I plan on dumping Concussion Shot completely and getting Proximity Mine.

Marksman 6 - Firing Rate, Duration, Accuracy & Firing Rate
Concussive Shot 6 - I will be dumping this for Proximity Mine.
Proximity Mine 0 - Radius, Damage Taken, Recharge Speed*
Turian Soldier 6 - Damage & Stability, Headshots, Damage & Stability
Fitness 6 - Durability, Shield Recharge, Fitness Expert

Weapon - Tempest X, Magazine Upgrade V, High Caliber Barrel V

*Recharge speed on Proximity Mine because I want to get back into Marksman as soon as possible. Every fraction of a second counts.

Just using this setup will still get some barrel climb. Try sticking to cover as much as possible. This video shows the same basic idea with a Hurricane. You shouldn't need to zoom in with the Tempest.

Mods are what really make this build work. Obviously throw on SMG Rails and Ammo if you have it. Most important is the Stability Mod. With a level 3 Stability Mod you should be able to run around and kill things with no problem. Muzzle climb should be almost nonexistent.

Edgeward

Welp, instead of trying to 2 for 1 it I just ended up joining a game that went into ole firebase white and geth and achieved the squad goal that way.

Cause seriously, fuck phantoms. Most annoying enemy to me.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
We did extraction on Hydra with 3 asari adepts. We had to defend the objective on wave 10 against all these phantoms and damn, that was intense. We did partial extraction.

Silver is a crapshoot. It's frustrating taking 30 minutes for a game and to wipe on wave 10 with one objective left. I think most of the pro players are just min-maxing the time/money ratio and playing Geth Gold white. Even if you get a bad group and wipe on wave 7 or so, it's still way more cost effective to farm Geth and get 30k credits in 15 minutes rather than 30 minutes for 11k on silver.

but.. isn't there anyone playing this for fun? why play the same fucking map against the same enemy over and over again, just to maximize credits? goddamn psychotic if you ask me.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Asari Adept, glass cannon build, carnifex X, dead cerberus everywhere. I'd forgotten just how effective she is.

In other news, Geth need another buff. Give them some nasty grenades of some type, or better yet armor piercing rounds. ;) Did a white gold geth round with total strangers in ~19 minutes with 0 knockdowns for the team. When 3 or 4 Phantoms can wipe a team that isn't paying attention but 11 waves of Geth can't even knock a guy down something is out of whack.

thanks Bioware. Having the most awesome team and game. get respawned in the sky and cant move, look or interact, leaving my team looking like im just camping. FUCKING ridiculous.

well those guys managed to pull through without me for hte last 3 waves. The game ends, get extracted. says "waiting for other players" then goes to a blank screen permanently. So wasted 25 mins...didnt get 50K credits and wasted my consumables. a worthwhile evening courtesy of bioware glitches....fuck sake.

Cat Party

So my first and thus far only attempt at gold...was a success!

We did Cerberus on White, and I was an asari adept. I finished with 111K points, twice what anyone else had. You get these parades of Atlases that come with phantoms and others next to them, so it was just warp, throw, BOOM, warp, throw, BOOM, etc. with the occasional stasis to catch a phantom on the loose. I use the same strategy all the time on silver, of course, but it was ridiculous how many enemies I was killing in those biotic explosions.

I know most of you guys do gold all the time, but it is too stressful for me, so I'm glad I knocked the challenge out on the first try.

thanks Bioware. Having the most awesome team and game. get respawned in the sky and cant move, look or interact, leaving my team looking like im just camping. FUCKING ridiculous.

That happened to me too as I just played my first Gold match. Hell, it happens pretty much every other game when I play as Vanguard, charging around. I just busy myself with something else the moment my Vanguard starts jerking around and hovering, cause I know I'm about to end up outside the map.

Im happy with my asari adept. Basically, 6 on everything but zero on throw. I know its not the normal way but stasis helps everyone, so does warp - and the rest of the team can cause the explosions. Putting the other points into shields, headshots..ive had a lot of success with this build so far.

Just need to get my carnifex up a bit more and ill be a lot happier.

So my first and thus far only attempt at gold...was a success!

We did Cerberus on White, and I was an asari adept. I finished with 111K points, twice what anyone else had. You get these parades of Atlases that come with phantoms and others next to them, so it was just warp, throw, BOOM, warp, throw, BOOM, etc. with the occasional stasis to catch a phantom on the loose. I use the same strategy all the time on silver, of course, but it was ridiculous how many enemies I was killing in those biotic explosions.

I know most of you guys do gold all the time, but it is too stressful for me, so I'm glad I knocked the challenge out on the first try.

What was the build of your asari adept? did you have zero on health/fitness etc?

Cat Party

What was the build of your asari adept? did you have zero on health/fitness etc?

No, I have some points in both passive categories. But I have stasis, warp, and throw all keyed for maximum biotic explosions. I'd have to look to say exactly what the build was, as I built the character weeks ago. It's probably 6/6/6/5/3 or something like that.

EDIT: I see you have zero on throw. Throw is so useful, I can't imagine not having it. Warp + throw is the quickest combo the asari adept can make. Throw also clears out grunts or tougher enemies whose shields are down. You can take a phantom down in a few seconds with stasis->throw to drop its barrier, and then you spam it with throw and it will never even get up.

No, I have some points in both passive categories. But I have stasis, warp, and throw all keyed for maximum biotic explosions. I'd have to look to say exactly what the build was, as I built the character weeks ago. It's probably 6/6/6/5/3 or something like that.

EDIT: I see you have zero on throw. Throw is so useful, I can't imagine not having it. Warp + throw is the quickest combo the asari adept can make. Throw also clears out grunts or tougher enemies whose shields are down. You can take a phantom down in a few seconds with stasis->throw to drop its barrier, and then you spam it with throw and it will never even get up.

I may respec. I didnt know throw could be a detonator. I thought you had to throw then warp to cause the explosion.

Kenaras

Yes; any Asari Adept without Throw is gimping herself for no good reason. I probably use more Throws in a typical match than Stases and Warps combined.

The most popular Asari Adept builds are 6/6/6/5/3 and 6/6/6/4/4. Anyone learning the class should stick to one of those builds until they know exactly what they're doing. I know that with my 6/6/6/4/4 build, I can take two Gold Phantom mind bullets before my shields drop; that can make a huge difference on the later waves. The first hit leaves me with just a sliver of shields, so I'm not sure if a 6/6/6/5/3 build can do this.

Finally got a gold clear today after probably 7-8 tries. Spent the time playing as a Justicar, and it's pretty awesome. Reave synergizes super well with the Justicar's duration bonus to powers, letting you stack 3 or 4 on an enemy at once. Running up on Atlases to set up a biotic sphere on them, doing a sweet Asari backdash, and then jamming on reave to get detonations feels pretty awesome. The class is definitely still best played with another biotic in tow to spam warps against your reaves, but feels pretty great even when that is missing.

I really wish they'd switch out cluster grenade for reave on the Drell Vanguard to make it competitive against the Human Vanguard. Losing the cluster grenades would mean the Drell Adept still has something unique, while reave/charge would be a great combo that gives it some actual synergy, though still nothing to match charge/nova.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Had the weirdest battle yesterday. When the match started, one guy instantly dropped out. Another guy proceeded to hide for the entire match basically which left everything to me and an asari adept. We managed to beat it pretty easily (silver is pretty easy now after gold). But the weird thing was with the guy hiding. He was clearly paying attention the whole time because be he would shoot anything that got near him, and would help rez if we died nearby, so wtf? Why even hide if you're just going to be watching anyways? Bizarre.

Is he any good?
I didnt download that because I feel bad at myself for downloading day 1 dlc

He would be an Adept (pull, slam, lift grenades) with a buffed Reave called Dark Channel that migrates to a nearby enemy if the power kills the first host. I would love to use this as a chain-reave after a biotic explosion.

Also, in the DLC, he's using green biotics but they turned blue in the game as every other biotic. His Assault Rifle, the Particle Rifle is amazing but it's visual effect should be toned down in order to not disturb other players. When I had Javik and Garrus firing this particule beam in SP, the screen turned into a giant green lasers

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Are the PC servers being temperamental for anyone else? First I couldn't join a game I was invited to, then the EA servers were down, now my resurgence pack isn't validated and the characters aren't appearing.

Should I delete then reinstall the resurgence pack somehow?

Ed: Problem seems to be solved after a quick repair.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Phew, just finished my Gold game. It was Firebase White with Geth of course but there some good players and a few close escapes. Totally feel capable of playing Silver all the time now.

Anyone on Origin still need to complete a Gold round?

I took my Asari adept with my Stasis/Carnifex combo for the Phantom challenge. I did my part. The Targeting VI amp III is making Cerberus heads pop open when I shoot then with my Carnifex. So good.

Replicant

Never survived beyond wave 10 on Cerberus Gold but I found out, as in the case of Silver, the best place to fight Cerberus is Firebase Dagger not Firebase White. Lots of room to maneuver and hide.

It also made me realized that White Geth Gold is actually really easy, even more so than some Silver battles as long as no one fucks it up.

Question though: Geth Plasma Shotgun level 4 vs. Carnifex level 4, which one is better? I can actually brings the damage level of this GPS to full bar with some mods while I don't think I can do so with Carnifex.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Just got the ultra rare Wraith shotgun.

...I think i'll stick to my Geth Plasma Shotgun VII thank you.

RE: Tempest Turian

With Marksman on the cross hairs shouldn't expand at all.

This is my current Turian Soldier. I plan on dumping Concussion Shot completely and getting Proximity Mine.

Marksman 6 - Firing Rate, Duration, Accuracy & Firing Rate
Concussive Shot 6 - I will be dumping this for Proximity Mine.
Proximity Mine 0 - Radius, Damage Taken, Recharge Speed*
Turian Soldier 6 - Damage & Stability, Headshots, Damage & Stability
Fitness 6 - Durability, Shield Recharge, Fitness Expert

Weapon - Tempest X, Magazine Upgrade V, High Caliber Barrel V

*Recharge speed on Proximity Mine because I want to get back into Marksman as soon as possible. Every fraction of a second counts.

Just using this setup will still get some barrel climb. Try sticking to cover as much as possible. This video shows the same basic idea with a Hurricane. You shouldn't need to zoom in with the Tempest.

Mods are what really make this build work. Obviously throw on SMG Rails and Ammo if you have it. Most important is the Stability Mod. With a level 3 Stability Mod you should be able to run around and kill things with no problem. Muzzle climb should be almost nonexistent.
I just did this build on Cerberus gold white. Watched the vid and maxed it out.

It was good at best, not amazing. If my teammates didnt have more powerful classes we would have lost.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Is this a bug, or the game deciding that we're doing too well? On Gold, round 10/11, Phantom sword attacks either take several strikes to destroy a shield or they just decide to insta-down a player. Not the deathblow but instantly knocking down full shields and health in one strike. I have no evidence I'm afraid.

Man everyone is choosing Cerberus on Gold. Trying to kill 2 birds with one stone, but it just makes it harder.

Did get extracted though on Condor. We camped the area with the pipes as cover. Useless for my Salarian Engineer with a shotgun, but we made it. I got killed by a Phantom at the LZ though so we only got a partial.

Yes; any Asari Adept without Throw is gimping herself for no good reason. I probably use more Throws in a typical match than Stases and Warps combined.

The most popular Asari Adept builds are 6/6/6/5/3 and 6/6/6/4/4. Anyone learning the class should stick to one of those builds until they know exactly what they're doing. I know that with my 6/6/6/4/4 build, I can take two Gold Phantom mind bullets before my shields drop; that can make a huge difference on the later waves. The first hit leaves me with just a sliver of shields, so I'm not sure if a 6/6/6/5/3 build can do this.

See for me, without that fourth 6, you miss out on the 30% weight reduction for heavy pistols and the headshot bonus right? These are essential to my style of playing.

id really like to try a 6/6/6/6/0 build but yes i dont think im good enough yet. Still, im probably going to try it :/

Has anyone using a 6/6/6/6/0 been reasonably successful and confident with it?

rozay

Banned
See for me, without that fourth 6, you miss out on the 30% weight reduction for heavy pistols and the headshot bonus right? These are essential to my style of playing.

id really like to try a 6/6/6/6/0 build but yes i dont think im good enough yet. Still, im probably going to try it :/

Has anyone using a 6/6/6/6/0 been reasonably successful and confident with it?
Believe in yourself. Warp+throw combo is one of the strongest cats in the game.

Believe in yourself. Warp+throw combo is one of the strongest cats in the game.

So basically - in that build its either Stasis Bubble + Headshot, Warp then throw - or Stasis Bubble (wait) Warp to cause biotic explosions?

The Asari Adept is such a great build. For my playing style the best ones are:

Asari Adept
Geth Engineer
Geth Infiltrator
Drell Adept.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
So basically - in that build its either Stasis Bubble + Headshot, Warp then throw - or Stasis Bubble (wait) Warp to cause biotic explosions?

The Asari Adept is such a great build. For my playing style the best ones are:

Asari Adept
Geth Engineer
Geth Infiltrator
Drell Adept.

Most of the time, you won't even be bothering with Stasis Bubbles as an Asari Adept. Warp/Throw is going to demolish most enemies, and their accompanying mobs, in a fraction of the time.

Stasis Bubble is just the best way to deal with Phantoms. It works better with the Asari Vanguard set up too imo.

Replicant

Yes! Won Cerberus Gold. Full Extraction too with everyone unscathed during the final wave.

It was 1 Geth Engineer (me), 1 Salarian Engineer, and 2 Geth Infiltrators. None of us had any Asari (mine had just been promoted so now it's sitting at a very low level 2) that could have been used so it was a surprise that we managed to pull it through. They sure packed in on the Phantoms towards the last 3 waves. I hope they like their bodies roasted by my Sentry Turret.

Most of the time, you won't even be bothering with Stasis Bubbles as an Asari Adept. Warp/Throw is going to demolish most enemies, and their accompanying mobs, in a fraction of the time.

Stasis Bubble is just the best way to deal with Phantoms. It works better with the Asari Vanguard set up too imo.

Ah cool man will give this a try. I had a lot of success with stasis allowing for headshots and for other snipers in my team to line up their shots.

will give that a go tonight as i have a respec card.

Reggie: I have a Carnifex IV. Dying to upgrade it.

Whatever you do, don't die while grabbing an enemy unless you want this to happen to you

masseffect3.exe_2012-qfbm3.png

It was fun for a while because I was completely invulnerable. Then I fell off the map at the start of the next wave

Woo-Fu

Banned
We did gold cerberus on glacier today, was quite a bit of fun. You'd think that map would be harder because it is so small but it keeps the phantoms in packs so bubble and other AoE attacks are more effective. On top of that an Atlas will bottleneck at many spots, allowing you to use it as an anvil for your biotics. Also being so small if somebody did go down a revive was never that far away.

Mindlog

I just did this build on Cerberus gold white. Watched the vid and maxed it out.

It was good at best, not amazing. If my teammates didnt have more powerful classes we would have lost.
Results may very. When using it I don't pull away in score, but I'm definitely downing enemies very quickly. Ammo boxes get frequent visits. Glacier is the map it's most with. I need a capture card.

Played 3 more Cerberus Gold games with my Salarian Infiltrator. Almost switched to Asari Adept one map because that's what the other 3 randoms were playing as. Stuck with the Infiltrator to make possible beacon missions easier. If scores are an indicator of effectiveness then perhaps I should stick with Infiltrator. I've always been at or near the top, but I'm surprising myself with the numbers my SI is producing. Never imagined my SI could net 190k with 3 high-level skilled allies.

Cerberus/Gold with my Salarian Infiltrator has been as easy as Geth farming, yet I'm not being picky about team makeup. I'm reluctant to farm Geth with low N7s, but I haven't even looked at the team before I ready up on these Cerberus runs. The only difference has been an occasional increase in clear time. Killed way more than my share Phantoms.

Also, Shield Battery III is pretty good.

Replicant

Wow, glitches galore today @ PS3 White Geth Gold.

First, there was one soldier Geth who refuses to die no matter what we did to him. We shot him, missile launchered him, but his health bar wouldn't go down. WTF IS THIS SHIT BIOWARE?!! You couldn't even grab the fucker and then all of a sudden he just disappeared.

Another bug was when I got killed inside the hiding room and instead of dying, I got warped into the LZ of the Firebase White. WTF? That was some space magick which I can use more of.

Top Bottom