• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I've been playing this game hardcore for a little over a month and I have crappy gear. The RNG really gets on my nerves and I have this gun I like to use, but I can't get any mods. I haven't gotten any good guns either, which is frustrating considering I generally only buy Premium Specter Packs. Though, I did get an N7 sniper rifle the other day, but I keep getting crap I don't need or won't use. I still have assault rifle mods level 1. I've yet to get anything better. So it makes doing gold a pain in the ass. I pretty much stick with silver and bronze.
There's a big misconception that you need god-tier equipment to be worth your playslot on gold. A good old Asari adept in the right hands can get top score without firing a single shot.

People rely too much on weapons. If I wasn't using a Harrier or Hurricane, I'd be rocking just fine with a phalanx, phaeston, or tempest.

Mindlog

...I'd be rocking just fine with a phalanx, phaeston, or tempest.
Three of my favorite guns.

I dunno, i tried once when it was rank I, and never touched it again. Sure the regenerating ammo is fine, but the damage suck unless you unload nearly all the 100 clip(and targets moving means you might miss a lot...) and at this point i either have to wait for the long reload or for it to get back to 100, which takes longer than reloading most of the other weapons. Maybe if i ever get it to X, i'll give it another try.
100? Have to strap the clip on that thing, but yeah you definitely have to leave yourself exposed for too long to use it effectively. That's bad luck to have a PB III before Harrier I.
The Harrier is fantastic.

If I had tomorrow off I would be throwing my hat in the ring to be the first to solo Platinum. I have a couple of ideas that I think would work pretty well. In the unlikely event that no one has done it by the time I can play I will give it a shot.

There's a big misconception that you need god-tier equipment to be worth your playslot on gold. A good old Asari adept in the right hands can get top score without firing a single shot.

People rely too much on weapons. If I wasn't using a Harrier or Hurricane, I'd be rocking just fine with a phalanx, phaeston, or tempest.

What build Asari Adept?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Does Platinum also increase the damage of enemies? I know it increase their health and put all races together after wave 3 or something, but is that it? Although i guess having Banshees + Phantoms + invisible Geth Hunters alone is going to cause some nightmare, increased damage or not.

What build Asari Adept?

I honestly have no idea what the best build is for her, but this is what I used when I did Reaper Gold this weekend it worked really well:

6/6/6/6/0
Stasis - Strength/Recharge/Bubble
Warp - Detonate/Expose/Pierce
Throw - Radius/Detonate/Force
Asari Justicar - Capacity/Power/Pistols

Like I said this worked really well this weekend, but keep in mind that I was on a team full of biotics who knew what they were doing. The only time I ever fired a shot of my Carnifex was when I was waiting for my power cooldown.

Melchiah

Yeah the Krogan Vanguard is an absolute tank. You literally cannot die against the Geth at all. It's good fun!

What would be a good weapon to use with it? I've got the Claymore, but it's lv.4 and has too much of an effect on power recharge.

EDIT: And which is better to concentrate on the stats, melee or weapon damage?

Gui_PT

Yeah the Krogan Vanguard is an absolute tank. You literally cannot die against the Geth at all. It's good fun!

Playing gold at level 15 and destroying everything!

I chose melee damage instead of weapon damage after a charge but I assume rage takes care of that. I'll just promote the character once I get it to 20.

Bisnic

What would be a good weapon to use with it? I've got the Claymore, but it's lv.4 and has too much of an effect on power recharge.

Before my Reegar was up to X, i used my Disciple X or Eviscerator X, they're both very light shotgun, so my cooldown was up to 200%. But they're not very strong shotguns, so i just meleed everything.

With the Reegar X, its something like 180%, so its not too bad.

Melchiah

Melchiah

Try the Katana.

I've used it before with the class, but it doesn't feel that powerful. It's ok though with the melee build and Blade Attachment.

Can't see it at work, but you could also use a pistol if you prefer, they're lighter and also have a melee mod.

I might have to try that, but there's the same problem, as I've got only the Predator on level X.

Bisnic

I've used it before with the class, but it doesn't feel that powerful. It's ok though with the melee build and Blade Attachment.

I might have to try that, but there's the same problem, as I've got only the Predator on level X.

You dont NEED a weapon at X to be decent with a Krogan Vanguard. Just take something, ANYTHING(except sniper rifles lol), that will get your power cooldown around 160-170% at least and you'll be fine.

Melchiah

You dont NEED a weapon at X to be decent with a Krogan Vanguard. Just take something, ANYTHING(except sniper rifles lol), that will get your power cooldown around 160-170% at least and you'll be fine.

Will have to experiment with the weapons I guess. =)

Bisnic

Will have to experiment with the weapons I guess. =)

Shotguns are still the best for them, but until you get one that isnt too heavy, you best use something that will allow you to use Biotic Charge as often as possible, especially if you try Gold with him. After all, its their ability to survive that makes them so good, not their damage.

Melchiah

Shotguns are still the best for them, but until you get one that isnt too heavy, you best use something that will allow you to use Biotic Charge as often as possible, especially if you try Gold with him. After all, its their ability to survive that makes them so good, not their damage.

The good old Katana X it is then. I think I'll try it with the Claymore lv.4 as well, and see how it goes.

DY_nasty

What build Asari Adept?
6/6/6/6/0

I'm on my phone so I can only give the quick and dirty version.

Stasis - you MUST get the bubble at level 6. Levels 4 and 5 are a preference thing (based around how you best want to lockdown an enemy) but the bubble is a necessity. Its still the single best power vs phantoms.
Warp - i think its deteriote that is the essential one. Whichever one smangs armor and shields an ups damage.
Throw - detonate. Double throw or radius. Force isn't all that important. Just remember your job is nothing other than setting off biotic explosions.
Asari adept - power, power, weight reduction
Fitness - don't get shot

Even post biotic explosion nerf, you can fuck up any mob in the game and take down any boss if you keep the warp/throw train going.

Cat Party

Despite my bitching, I ended up extracting on gold about 20 minutes before the challenge was set to end. Wasted so much equipment this weekend, though. Pretty much all my sniper amps are gone. In the end, it was the QMI with the Valiant that worked best for me.

Cat Party

6/6/6/6/0

Stasis - you MUST get the bubble at level 6. Levels 4 and 5 are a preference thing (based around how you best want to lockdown an enemy) but the bubble is a necessity. Its still the single best power vs phantoms.
Warp - i think its deteriote that is the essential one. Whichever one smangs armor and shields an ups damage.
Throw - detonate. Double throw or radius. Force isn't all that important. Just remember your job is nothing other than setting off biotic explosions.
Fitness - don't get shot

Even post biotic explosion nerf, you can fuck up any mob in the game and take down any boss if you keep the warp/throw train going.

Radius on throw is pretty important. That way you don't have to hit the enemy with warp on it, you just have to hit one near it. I put 3 into fitness and only 5 into the asari, because I roll with either a Phalanx or Eagle that still gives me 200% cooldown.

Gui_PT

By the way, does anyone here want to get that Finish all MP maps on Gold achievement?

We could have a whole squad of Krogans =P

Getting super pumped for the DLC. I was NOT this pumped for last round. I have ~2.4 million credits saved (some people I'm sure have higher), but I am excited to see what I can unlock with that.

Platinum looks unbelievably fun, especially with the crew I am rocking with. Gold isn't even really a challenge any more, we just try random underpowered builds and see if we can beat gold without rockets nowadays. Don't get me wrong though - if we don't manage spawns and communication correctly, it will bite us in the ass and we'll get separated from each other and die quickly.

Bisnic

6/6/6/6/0

Fitness - don't get shot

I dont think Double Throw actually exist in mulitplayer. At least, it doesnt work the same as single player where it actually send 2 Throws "orbs".

ScrubJay

1.5 million credits and no rockets.

I wanted to push to 2 million but I don't want to cough up for more rockets when I'll just get a bunch tomorrow. I guess I'll wait on it.

I think the only way I'll be disappointed tomorrow is if I don't get a new character at all, which I should hopefully be able to get with 1.2 million. I don't even care which character it is, just one of them at least. Part of me though fully expects to just get the new weapons up to X and unlock the Phoenix Adept. Or maybe RNG will do what he did to Bisnic and give me the prestigious honor of receiving a bunch of Particle Rifle upgrades.

Sai

If I can at least unlock the Slayer Vanguard, and the vast majority of the new Weapon Mods, I'll be a happy man.

Honestly, I'm kind of excited to see how the Destroyer Soldier's base specs turn out. I want another tank. :D

rozay

Banned
Strangely enough, I got the M-99 Saber out of one of my first packs, and have been using that ever since. It's just a great weapon for my playstyle, but I have yet to find anything to boost it up. It's still rank 1 and I don't have any real assault rifle mods. I have been rotating between the Jumbo pack and the PSP since I realized last week that I wasn't getting enough medkits and such. Still, it's a long process and I can totally see where spending cash is a good way to go. It's getting a bit ridiculous with all the new stuff and it makes it extremely hard to get things you want.
Try this build out then: http://social.bioware.com/forum/topic/343/index/11977462

The two mods you do want for this gun (extended barrel and armor-piercing) are in veteran packs, but if you go with the magazine mod instead that's in recruit packs.

Come on folks, this one wasn't even hard

Might be because they dicked with the times and ended it sooner. Not sure if its confirmed but if they did its stupid and we should just all be rewarded both the packs, i was playing with a less than perfect team and we managed it but apparently it ended 20 hours before the specified time and our team was 7 hours over qualifying

Gui_PT

They didn't. It ran until 4AM EST this morning (Monday). There was a typo somewhere that had it end Sunday morning, but it wasn't accurate.

Well then I don't see whey we might not have gotten it

I blame you PS3 folks! Ever since you started getting these Weekend Operations, we started not accomplishing them!!

I kid.

Or do I?

I do.

Cat Party

Also, I read on BSN that it takes at least a day to get the numbers, so it's unlikely that they have figured out that we passed/failed unless it was very obvious either way.

Sai

If I ever see another Banshee, it'll be too soon.

[EDIT] - I'm seeing talk of FULL squad extractions necessary for the Allied Goal? Where is that specified in the announcement?

EDarkness

I didn't know what was going on. Though, I had very few full extractions. People were playing horribly, even on Bronze. It was just a bad weekend, and I'm starting to think that there aren't many people playing. I had to wait 20 minutes for a match quite often.

Bisnic

I didn't know what was going on. Though, I had very few full extractions. People were playing horribly, even on Bronze. It was just a bad weekend, and I'm starting to think that there aren't many people playing. I had to wait 20 minutes for a match quite often.

20 minutes to get a group? I get instant groups on PC. What the hell? Sometimes Quick Match seems to take forever(and by forever, i mean longer than 10 secs) to find a group, but a quick cancel and retry can make it instant.

Gui_PT

If I ever see another Banshee, it'll be too soon.

[EDIT] - I'm seeing talk of FULL squad extractions necessary for the Allied Goal? Where is that specified in the announcement?

Squad Goal: Have at least one squad member be extracted against Reaper enemies on Gold difficulty.
Allied Goal: Achieve 400,000 full extractions against Reaper enemies on any difficulty.

Xevren

20 minutes to get a group? I get instant groups on PC. What the hell? Sometimes Quick Match seems to take forever to find a group, but a quick cancel and retry can make it instant.

Yeah I have had no issues finding games at all either on the 360.

DY_nasty

That might be a DNS issue or something...

Sai

Finally got a Sniper Rifle Amp IV.

One more t'go!

Squad Goal: Have at least one squad member be extracted against Reaper enemies on Gold difficulty.
Allied Goal: Achieve 400,000 full extractions against Reaper enemies on any difficulty.
... Oh, okay.

Lol, I got the Allied and Squad Goal rules mixed up.

DY_nasty

Finally got a Sniper Rifle Amp IV.

One more t'go!

... Oh, okay.

Lol, I got the Allied and Squad Goal rules mixed up.

AR Amp IV makes my Harrier I the Fist of God.

(SR amp does not love me)

rozay

Banned
Do Turians even work on Gold?
Turian soldier with a hurricane and proxy mine is great. Not sure if the harrier's low ammo will work well with the class or not. Sentinel requires a good weapon to really be effective I think. tech armor is good versus grunts and staggering anyone you're surrounded by/phantoms, warp with damage and armor debuffs, and overload with chain and the barrier upgrades is good. I've seen a few really good ones on gold.

Top Bottom