• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Are you saying fire shield melee + snap freeze = tech burst, or is it an "explosion" where you have to get a kill to cause the effect?

Explosion. But you can trigger bursts/explosions off of Snap Freeze in damn near any kind of situation.

Look, I don't care if you have N7 rating 12, 75 or 456 (though if it's the latter, wtf is wrong with you). All I ask is that, if you're heading into Silver or Gold, you know how to actually stay alive during the latter rounds.

I don't like getting fucked over and spending five medigel just so I can stay alive, only for all of you to die during round six and leaving me to do the objectives while getting swamped by geth.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Look, I don't care if you have N7 rating 12, 75 or 456 (though if it's the latter, wtf is wrong with you). All I ask is that, if you're heading into Silver or Gold, you know how to actually stay alive during the latter rounds.

I don't like getting fucked over and spending five medigel just so I can stay alive, only for all of you to die during round six and leaving me to do the objectives while getting swamped by geth.

You think a rating of 456 is a "wtf is wrong with you"? Obviously, you havent seen all these 900-1500-2000+... Ratings around 300-500 seems rather common.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

That the thing, if you're not at 100 or so, you probably don't have that much experience with the other classes, have no idea of what your teammates are capable of and are generally trying to do.

If you're not at 100 or have a completely ridiculous equipment/weapon set up, then you don't belong in a gold match - and you're probably dead weight in a silver match.This last weekend was a great example of people being utterly clueless. If you're a human adept and using two weapons, you're probably lost in the sauce.

You think a rating of 456 is a "wtf is wrong with you"? Obviously, you haven seen all these 900-1500-2000+... Ratings around 300-500 seems rather common.

Pretty much just picked a random number there, sorry :p. I'm 270, but it's been a while since I promoted. Probably won't anymore, either, not much point to it. I don't play all that much, but I'd probably be near that number too, I guess, so yeah, I was exaggerating. :lol

Bisnic

Speaking of Platinum... i tried to do a Quick Match on Gold, and the stupid game decided to put me in Platinum... on Geth White... with people trying to play it like a GGW game. We didnt even make it to Wave 3 when Cerberus started showing up and we got the "hack 4 nodes" objective.

Xevren

It's fun to dream that people know how to play. I really need to get more gaffers on my 360 gt list. Just really getting burned out with how often people die all the time. Even before all the enemy buffs came to be the community was just completely awful, but now it's even worse. And on the N7 thing, pretty much everyone I see that has over 2000 have been some of the worst players I have ever seen, it's just mind boggling.

Gui_PT

I just got teamed up with possibly the worst player in the history of this game.

He had a low rating but I gave him the benefit of the doubt. All he did was run around and get downed.

Never again will I trust another person online! :lol

Woorloog

Banned
I just got teamed up with possibly the worst player in the history of this game.

He had a low rating but I gave him the benefit of the doubt. All he did was run around and get downed.

Never again will I trust another person online! :lol

I got two Krogans and a N7 Shadow... They were the worst. I played with a human Soldier.
The Krogans were awful, constantly meleeing enemies, including Phantoms. The Shadow had no idea how to use his Electric Slash (which is OP BTW) and used fucking Incisor. What the fuck?
Ended up doing one objective alone, because one moronic krogan went and died, another krogan went to help and diead and the shadow went to help and died.
These guys didn't even have that low ratings.
Incredible really... I had over 15k more score than the Shadow... all i did was to shoot people with Saber.

And RNG is still screwing with me. Got a couple of Salarian Infiltrators, Human Male Soldier, and other shit... No batarians or anything cool.

Derrick01

Banned
Sooo yeah I'm back now. I wasn't able to play too much on that mission weekend since I was doing other things and EA's servers continue to impress me by consistently failing.

I did get some runs on the new maps but wasn't able to secure any new characters or weapons (did get a geth shotgun finally though). I did accidentally get thrown into a platinum game though, I was looking for gold matches and I guess the leader pulled a bait and switch at the last moment. I didn't realize what was going on until fucking phantoms and Banshees were coming at us on our supposedly Geth only game (it said Geth too on the menu screen in game).

I was losing my shit just trying to survive but somehow 40 minutes later we did it. Well...they did, I barely got 50k points with my pea shooters. I was basically reduced to just overloading shields and letting my geth turret do whatever damage it could, which seemed to be considerable, since my guns couldn't do anything against the heavier enemies.

Bisnic

Sooo yeah I'm back now. I wasn't able to play too much on that mission weekend since I was doing other things and EA's servers continue to impress me by consistently failing.

I did get some runs on the new maps but wasn't able to secure any new characters or weapons (did get a geth shotgun finally though). I did accidentally get thrown into a platinum game though, I was looking for gold matches and I guess the leader pulled a bait and switch at the last moment. I didn't realize what was going on until fucking phantoms and Banshees were coming at us on our supposedly Geth only game (it said Geth too on the menu screen in game).

I was losing my shit just trying to survive but somehow 40 minutes later we did it. Well...they did, I barely got 50k points with my pea shooters. I was basically reduced to just overloading shields and letting my geth turret do whatever damage it could, which seemed to be considerable, since my guns couldn't do anything against the heavier enemies.

Are you sure its not just your connection that have problems? I really dont get disconnected as much as you say you do, and i also play on PC. 99% of the times i get disconnected if because : A) The host left. B) My wireless connection went to shit.

Derrick01

Banned
Are you sure its not just your connection that have problems? I really dont get disconnected as much as you say you do, and i also play on PC. 99% of the times i get disconnected if because : A) The host left. B) My wireless connection went to shit.

I have to assume it's them because I rarely have problems on Steam and EA servers are notoriously garbage on all platforms on the majority of their games. The fact that they demand to use them on consoles only makes things worse.

edit: I should mention I use my laptop for Origin but my laptop is plugged in instead of using wifi like my PC and it also has no problems with the couple of steam games I've tried online with it.

Bisnic

I have to assume it's them because I rarely have problems on Steam and EA servers are notoriously garbage on all platforms on the majority of their games. The fact that they demand to use them on consoles only makes things worse.

edit: I should mention I use my laptop for Origin but my laptop is plugged in instead of using wifi like my PC and it also has no problems with the couple of steam games I've tried online with it.

I dunno, i'm just saying i rarely get disconnected from the game and figured the problem was outside of EA servers. Seems like there is something wrong with your game, or your laptop. Maybe reinstalling Origin or LAN drivers or something.

unlocked the N7 Slayer... umm, what am i supposed to be doing with this ninja? feels fun as hell to play, but i can't stay alive even on silver.

tips plz!

Mindlog

I play on PC but is it even possible to farm Platinum? I always supposed it was hard enough to not make it "farmable", if that's even a word.
I already posted the easy how to. A couple of posts up. Edited for conspicuousness :p

People don't have the hang of it yet. My team kept struggling despite me using my demolisher to get top score by being in that room. I had to leave to solo wave 7.

After a Gear and UR drought I nabbed another Double Ultra-Rare PSP. Paladin IX and Particle Rifle II. Trolled.
Where is my damned Typhoon.

rozay

Banned
I already posted the easy how to. A couple of posts up. Edited for conspicuousness :p

People don't have the hang of it yet. My team kept struggling despite me using my demolisher to get top score by being in that room. I had to leave to solo wave 7.

After a Gear and UR drought I nabbed another Double Ultra-Rare PSP. Paladin IX and Particle Rifle II. Trolled.
Where is my damned Typhoon.
in my arms. Typhoon/Piranha N7 Devastator is my flavor of the week class for Glacier. I'm really unsure of whether to keep or toss the missile launcher though, even if I'm not using it much.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
unlocked the N7 Slayer... umm, what am i supposed to be doing with this ninja? feels fun as hell to play, but i can't stay alive even on silver.

tips plz!

Use the heavy melee. It teleports you to the target even through objects and cover. It's pretty amazing.

Use the heavy melee. It teleports you to the target even through objects and cover. It's pretty amazing.

Charge + normal melee. Keep mashing the B button, you'll be slicing shit up everywhere. When your shields are down, Charge again. Works like a charm, especially against groups of geth.

Biotic Slash is for when you're pinned down or when you're on an objective round. Phase Disruptor helps to deal with long-range targets you don't want to charge towards, like Banshees.

i tried a lot, because it looks so awesome. but it's kinda iffy.. half the time it doesn't connect and i die fast.

Charge + normal melee. Keep mashing the B button, you'll be slicing shit up everywhere. When your shields are down, Charge again. Works like a charm, especially against groups of geth.

Biotic Slash is for when you're pinned down or when you're on an objective round. Phase Disruptor helps to deal with long-range targets you don't want to charge towards, like Banshees.

hah, i didn't even think of trying normal melee.

i think my problem is that i'm used to playing with the Krogan Vanguard on silver, which is of course invincible and you can do whatever you like. Slayer is a squishy little ant in comparison.. i need to learn that i can actually die now lol.

Phase Disruptor seemed kinda useless to me, didn't seem to do much dmg at all. could barely take out grunt units.

i tried a lot, because it looks so awesome. but it's kinda iffy.. half the time it doesn't connect and i die fast.

Heavy Melee is pretty much only for lone enemies. It takes too long before you can do anything else otherwise.

But spec the fuck out of your melee. Make sure you get max damage. And then charge into a group and go crazy. Your normal melee attack does damage to surrounding enemies too, so spec your Charge to deal damage to multiple targets. If they're momenterily stunned, they're vulnerable for fileting.

exYle

tips plz!

There are multiple ways to use the class, but here are a few tips.

- Unless you're going for a mid-long range Vanguard, always level charge up to 6 and get the full barrier recharge

- Heavy melee is flashy and powerful, but has no damage reduction or invincibility and leaves you vulnerable during the animation. Use light melee instead, which seems to have full damage reduction. If the going gets rough, charge to get your barrier back.

- You can use your dodges and heavy melee to travel through walls and up levels. For example, if you dodge into a ladder, it will teleport you to the upper level. In a similar vein, if you want to teleport forwards but there is cover or a wall in the way (your character will always prioritize taking cover over dodging), use the heavy melee. Alternatively, turn sideways and dodge to the side.

- If you take Phase Disruptor, make sure you're very far away and behind cover, and spec it for radius and armour damage. It can be a very powerful tool at a distance. To recharge, either wait patiently or charge to a lone enemy; charging large groups of enemies with the Slayer is almost always a bad idea.

- Biotic Slash is an incredible move. Use it behind a wall, because it will travel VERY far. Great for taking out groups of footsoldiers.

- Phase Disruptor with armour damage is practically the only viable way for a Slayer to tackle a boss efficiently: biotic slash, charge, and melee does very little against armour.

- Use a lightweight weapon, such as a Disciple or a pistol.

I think that's all my tips.

Heavy Melee is pretty much only for lone enemies. It takes too long before you can do anything else otherwise.

But spec the fuck out of your melee. Make sure you get max damage. And then charge into a group and go crazy. Your normal melee attack does damage to surrounding enemies too, so spec your Charge to deal damage to multiple targets. If they're momenterily stunned, they're vulnerable for fileting.

ok that's good advice, thanks. i gotta respec though, i think. oh well.

thank you too. i've already practiced teleporting through walls and up ladders with the Fury, so i got that down pretty good. and i'm using the Disciple, gives me 199% power recharge which is nice :)

Also, try to be host when you're playing him to avoid the Vanguard glitch. Since he's pretty much a glass cannon, it's pretty easy to trigger it.

Yeah, Disciple is awesome with the Slayer. Another good strategy for teleporting is to dodge backwards, but the heavy melee thing works better, I think.

exYle

If you do get caught with the Vanguard glitch and find yourself floating above the map, use your Phase Disruptor/Biotic Slash and become an orbital bombardment platform.

If you do get caught with the Vanguard glitch and find yourself floating above the map, use your Phase Disruptor/Biotic Slash and become an orbital bombardment platform.

If it works. I've had times where I was stuck in a perpetual falling animation and I couldn't do shit. I could fire off Pull (as a drell Vanguard), but it wouldn't actually affect the enemies.

The Vanguard glitch is a mean motherfucker.

exYle

It can occasionally be somewhat beneficial! You act as a decoy for your teammates, but you can still deal damage.

thank you too. i've already practiced teleporting through walls and up ladders with the Fury, so i got that down pretty good. and i'm using the Disciple, gives me 199% power recharge which is nice :)

How is the Fury? I really want one.

Samara

holy shit at the new characters. Played with one Phantom/Kasumi while trying out my new Geth. They look pretty ace. Well time to make some money to earn one of these

Oh and how about these assholes who refuse to revive me, even tho I revived all of them more than once because...I don't have a mic.seriously.... Just to spite theme, I took the container and died in front of a turret. So they were fucked

Woorloog

Banned
How is the Fury? I really want one.

Nothing special.
Dark Channel doesn't really work, it seemingly vanishes sometimes instead of jumping to another target. Just keep recasting it... Warp is better for setting up Biotic Explosions IMO.
Annihilation Field is close range ability... which is kinda odd considering Fury is an Adept. And rather weak, like all the Adepts. Can set off Biotic Explosions, so i guess Fury could be useful for setting off a large amount of Biotic Explosions at once.
Probably the least unique of the new classes.
EDIT its dogde is a teleport, you can teleport through walls even. Too bad it has far too long range, it is easy to accidentally end up in a middle of enemies...

EDIT, wait what, Dark Channel has 100+ DPS in MP? Huh, missed that while setting up my powers. Well, i guess it ain't that bad then. My point still stands though, it doesn't always jump to another target. Or the effect lags alot.

Sai

Or the effect lags alot.
It's lag, or maybe somebody's messing it up with techs/ammo powers.

The N7 Fury is my favorite of the new characters. She can really lay out the damage with Dark Channel and the Annihilation Field. Choose Radius, Damage Taken, and Drain for AF's evolution choices, and Radius, Detonate, and Force & Damage for Throw's, and you can get away with walking in close proximity to enemies, softening them up, or blasting them away with biotic explosions from repeated Throws.

Another fun fact about the AF is that it stays active even if you're downed. If any Geth/Cerberus Troopers attempt to execute you, they'll usually be killed. XD And while it's up, you're pretty much immune to Swamers.

Like the Slayer, her biotic acrobatics and heavy melee can be used to teleport to different rooms and elevation levels

Shadow is 1 ton of fun, I only used the Carnifex and the melee is Beastly.

Going to mess with the Slayer tonight. Thinking about either the Reegar, GPS or Piranha.

Woorloog

Banned
Gotta say my first try with (with whom did i play? Xand for sure, maybe Gazzawa, ZalinKrow? No idea) Platinum was awesome. Had no idea how the difficulty worked.
1st wave: Geth... Of fuck, Primes on first wave?
3rd wave: Wait, what, why do i hear Cerberus voices? Where did that grenade come from? Centurion killed me? OK, i guess we'll be getting Reapers later on... (At this point, Xand said something like "No we won't, shut up"
6th wave: Is that Banshee i'm hearing (Xand (paraphrasing): "Emp*, shut up, you didn't hear anything"
Really crazy, really fun.

*Short for Empyrus

It's lag, or maybe somebody's messing it up with techs/ammo powers.

The N7 Fury is my favorite of the new characters. She can really lay out the damage with Dark Channel and the Annihilation Field. Choose Radius, Damage Taken, and Drain for AF's evolution choices, and Radius, Detonate, and Force & Damage for Throw's, and you can get away with walking in close proximity to enemies, softening them up, or blasting them away with biotic explosions from repeated Throws.

Another fun fact about the AF is that it stays active even if you're downed. If any Geth/Cerberus Troopers attempt to execute you, they'll usually be killed. XD And while it's up, you're pretty much immune to Swamers.

Like the Slayer, her biotic acrobatics and heavy melee can be used to teleport to different rooms and elevation levels

Yeah I really like her too. She's so squishy in the first place, it might be interesting to spec her for melee/AF. Heavy>AF>Heavy>AF>Light melee the stragglers.

EekTheKat

the RNG gods have been good to me today - N7 Typhoon, Paladin V, Pistol lightweight materials ( enough to bring Paladin down to 200 CDR for caster classes)

Typhoon + max DPS specced Destroyer is GLORIOUS. Atlases just melt before that combo. Check that everything melts before that combo.

I got my SMG Recoil System up to V and put it on my Hurricane. It's nice to shoot it and my character not have a seizure. I just need to get that SMG High-Velocity Barrel leveled up and that hurricane will be unstoppable.

Top Bottom