• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

rozay

Banned
Is it just me or is the Acolyte a shitty weapon? Low clip and cannot shoot unless you charge it.
It's a weird weapon. The only positive traits are that shots bounce off walls and it seems to have a damage multiplier against shields, as well as a low weight (mine's at III). I thought it would be ideal for a caster that relies on biotic explosions and only shoots to take out shields, but I got the lowest score in the match I tried it out in. Needs some skill to use it properly I think, or its just not worth it at all.

Anyone else notice that Phantoms now have a weird blue shield animation around them when blocking biotics/bullets?

Xevren

I actually really like the Acolyte. It seems to strip shields/barriers like crazy. That and it just sounds awesome.

Anyone else seeing weird spawn issues? The number of times where shit would literally spawn RIGHT on top of me was insane. Was driving me nuts.

Ji66a-Man

Saved 13.8 million credits for the Earth DLC and got 77 Premium Spectre Packs, 89 Spectre Packs, and 42 Veteran Packs. Got 19 Ultra Rares (Particle Rifle II-X and Typhoon I-X), all of the new character cards, all 5 rare weapon mods to X, and 19 new gear unlocks. The drop rate for the new gear is way too low.

My Multiplayer Manifest

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
There is a SMG recoil mod now? Man, the Hurricane is going to be even better once i max this thing.

Bisnic

ehysG.jpg

Fixed because, mother of god, all ultra weapons maxed?

Omg i just saw all his consumables too. ;_;

Mindlog

Hey, I was going to tell people about that combination. It's great.

The Acolyte is a solid sidearm to go with it. On Glacier Cerberus Gold with a GI it's really easy to pick off Phantoms with it. Charge, Cloak, Mine and Release.

I tried to solo Platinum again with a GI, but it did not go well -_-
My attempts are having an effect. Every time I go back to Gold I'm becoming more and more amused over how easy it is. I was trying to drop into a Platinum lobby with my Piranha GI, but joined an in progress G/C/G. With only shotgun Gear I scored over 170k.
Saved 13.8 million credits for the Earth DLC and got 77 Premium Spectre Packs, 89 Spectre Packs, and 42 Veteran Packs. Got 19 Ultra Rares (Particle Rifle II-X and Typhoon I-X), all of the new character cards, all 5 rare weapon mods to X, and 19 new gear unlocks. The drop rate for the new gear is way too low.

My Multiplayer Manifest
Yeah, I got screwed hard on gear. Also wanted to get a level or two of Typhoon. I hear it's great with the Devastator.

I'm hoping they fix the store and Platinum browser with the upcoming downtime.

Sai

You're tripping son

Fury is the best n7 class
Fixed. Still want to get a party going with a bunch of Biotics to exploit it.

The Slayer is fun, but on higher difficulties, I'm finding it difficult to take advantage of it's evasive maneuvers and stay safe after a successful melee, or Biotic Charge. It's kind of the same deal with the Shadow, but with the added difficulty of no teleporting melees/acrobatics—Shadow Strike is pretty risky at times even with the cloak's bonus power evolution.

Nori Chan

Any speccing tips? I'm trying hard to love him
I'll give it to you tomorrow when I have the box on l ol
Fixed. Still want to get a party going with a bunch of Biotics to exploit it.

The Slayer is fun, but on higher difficulties, I'm finding it difficult to take advantage of it's evasive maneuvers and stay safe after a successful melee, or Biotic Charge. It's kind of the same deal with the Shadow, but with the added difficulty of no teleporting melees/acrobatics—Shadow Strike is pretty risky at times even with the cloak's bonus power evolution.

oh man did you miss out how i dodged so much bullshit on glacier with the slayer while i was the only one out ask dy he was laughing his ass off the whole time

exYle

I'll give it to you tomorrow when I have the box on l ol

My initial build was 6/5/6/3/6. However, I quickly realized that Biotic Slash was THE power to have and I barely even used Phase Disruptor, so I switched to 6/0/6/6/6. Does that sound about right?

N7 Shadow is basically easy mode. Cloak -> backstab -> electric blade. Rinse and repeat. Sure you're squishy, but if you take cloak duration, you have plenty of time to get back to cover.

Tsukumo

So, still getting the hang of my Slayer...

Phase Disruptor is cool, but doesn't lock on: it fires in a straight shot forward. It does have splash damage, which is cool.

I think it's some sort of Nova grenade, basically.

Anyone on PS3 wanna play with me? Apparently N7 levels still mean something so no one wants to play with a Level 4. I was about a 1400 on Xbox but it broke, and I didn't want to buy a new one.

open a room, start a match on the difficulty you like. Usually the servers will start dropping random players as soon as the first wave, and they can't give you no shit about your level since they will only see it at the end of the match.

Funny, the concensus on these two classes seems to be the opposite

that's because the player base is divided between people who don't understand this is a co-op game, and the people who "get it" and don't consider less than nothing a character with a supportive role.

Oof, the Slayer's a little rough. Any speccing tips? Right now I'm 6/5/6/3/6.

I specced full charge, full phase disruptor, full slash, 5 for the class power, 3 on fitness. I guess being a vanguard and all I don't need shields that much, and phase disruptor doesn't stack with shield upgrades so...

Is it just me or is the Acolyte a shitty weapon? Low clip and cannot shoot unless you charge it.

Acolyte VIII here. Two charged shots drain a banshee's shield like nothing. I don't like using it though, as I prefer straight shooting hand-guns. But that gun looks damn gorgeous...

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Anyone else notice that Phantoms now have a weird blue shield animation around them when blocking biotics/bullets?

It's a clearer effect to their absorb move so you don't only just see the palm sucking in the damage.

My Multiplayer Manifest

13.8 mil just sitting there after having so many other things so high or maxed already - that's just disgusting man.

You've got the record as far as I've seen with that much cash saved, damn!

Gui_PT

Can't find any gold matches today. Anyone having this problem?

If I search for any difficulty, I find games in about 5 seconds

Stantron

My Multiplayer Manifest

How did you get 19 Reset Powers? I thought max was 3.

Bisnic

So are the new weapons worth using at all?

Genuinely intrigued.

I got the new shotgun at rank I, and its pretty good with my GI. Its accuracy sucks for anything medium-long range, but its fast rate of fire makes it a great close range weapon.

Cat Party

I got the Paladin and the Destroyer. Still trying to find the right weapon for the Destroyer. I don't have a Harrier of Hurricane, and my Rev is at VI. Weight is no concern with this character. Based on this thread, I avoided the missile launcher and went 6/0/6/6/6. .

The Paladin though, um, what? You can't walk with the shield. That means it is useless except for protecting someone on an objective mission. If you try to use it for combat, you get overrun waiting for an enemy to get close, or you get killed trying to approach an enemy. Am I missing something? The power suite is pretty good though, with Energy Drain, Incinerate, and Snap Freeze. Hopefully someone has figured out a way to use the shield effectively.

exYle

I got the Paladin and the Destroyer. Still trying to find the right weapon for the Destroyer. I don't have a Harrier of Hurricane, and my Rev is at VI. Weight is no concern with this character. Based on this thread, I avoided the missile launcher and went 6/0/6/6/6. .

The Paladin though, um, what? You can't walk with the shield. That means it is useless except for protecting someone on an objective mission. If you try to use it for combat, you get overrun waiting for an enemy to get close, or you get killed trying to approach an enemy. Am I missing something? The power suite is pretty good though, with Energy Drain, Incinerate, and Snap Freeze. Hopefully someone has figured out a way to use the shield effectively.

I use it to attract aggro. It's really not a class for getting the top score.

Bisnic

Are there any benefits to promoting your level 20 and starting again or is it just as pointless as prestige on COD?

Well, other than improving your useless N7 rating, its also used to reset your powers if you dont have any reset cards.

Cat Party

I use it to attract aggro. It's really not a class for getting the top score.

I don't see how that's necessary in this game, where you can just pick a Salarian Engineer and accomplish the same thing from a safer distance.

Are there any benefits to promoting your level 20 and starting again or is it just as pointless as prestige on COD?

There have been weekend challenges involving promoting characters. I also do it when I want to respec 2 or 3 guys from the same class. You do want to have your N7 up well past 100 though. Otherwise you will get kicked from Gold matches.

Bisnic

There have been weekend challenges involving promoting characters. I also do it when I want to respec 2 or 3 guys from the same class. You do want to have your N7 up well past 100 though. Otherwise you will get kicked from Gold matches.

Yeah, i forgot to mention that, N7 is meaningless, but having it over 100 at least tell other players that you have some experience in multiplayer before going for the hardest difficulties. You can get to 120 by getting every classes to 20 the first time, so its not hard.

bryanee

Cheers for the replies. I have a few level 20's and I'm close on the rest so I'll promote a couple of the ones I dont really enjoy playing as.

exYle

I don't see how that's necessary in this game, where you can just pick a Salarian Engineer and accomplish the same thing from a safer distance.

Salarian Decoys don't attract more than 2-3 enemies whereas if you put out your shield, all eyes are on you. Plus, the Paladin's best ability, Snap Freeze, has Flamer range so what better way of luring enemies into freezing range?

Vanguard glitch?

I no longer play Vanguard except when I'm hosting the party.

Speaking of which, holy shit is the Slayer amazing or what. I can Charge into a group of enemies and start hacking away with my sword, charge when my cooldown resets and just keep going at it and at it and at it. Amazing.

If you're less than 120, people are a lot more wary of having you on their team. Expect kicks.

My lobby just filled up with -50's and I don't care. If they can survive, I really don't see the big deal.

No Xbox, I don't mind you freezing up during round 10, especially not when I'm kicking ass with my awesomeness sword. Really, I don't.

Goddamn Xbox.

Falifax

No Xbox, I don't mind you freezing up during round 10, especially not when I'm kicking ass with my awesomeness sword. Really, I don't.

Goddamn Xbox.

At least it didn't disconnected you from the servers at the last 2 seconds of extraction. I was
n't
really happy when that happened.

Bisnic

Do you reckon Bioware will ever patch Vanguard properly? Me thinks they won't since its been broken from launch.

It's frustrating more than anything as you basically become useless.

I don't know, Bioware believed they fixed it in their big patch that they released in june(or was it may?), yet its still there. Just like they believed they fixed the weight SMG mod and the store that disconnected you sometime after buying a pack. Also still there. *roll eyes* I'm not as mad at Bioware as 90% of GAF, but their inability to fix glitchs is one thing i really hate about them. It almost feels like their big patch only fixed the Reave sound.

exYle

Speaking of which, holy shit is the Slayer amazing or what. I can Charge into a group of enemies and start hacking away with my sword, charge when my cooldown resets and just keep going at it and at it and at it. Amazing.

What's your build?

My lobby just filled up with -50's and I don't care. If they can survive, I really don't see the big deal.

Which, unfortunately, makes you the exception rather than the rule.

What's your build?

Charge 6: Radius, Weapon Synergy, Barrier
Phase Disruptor 5: Damage, Efficient Blast
Slash 5: Radius, Recharge Speed
Slayer 4: Damage and Capacity
Fitness 6: Melee Damage, Shield Recharge, Fitness Expert

I might respec my Charge for Damage instead of Radius, though. Keep more enemies close so I can filet them to death.

Which, unfortunately, makes you the exception rather than the rule.

I've always been special.

People take games way too seriously, imo.

EekTheKat

teleport is a potential big game changer here for the slayer and fury - since you can teleport through walls on command that opens up maps to a lot of new strategies.

On a capture objective I captured one objective, blinked through the wall, and capped the 2nd and 3rd which spawned right next to each other in glacier.

I've done some hit and runs that way too - teleport behind the enemy spawn then teleported out.

Only thing is you have to know the maps, and recognize which walls are thin enough to teleport through.

Cat Party

teleport is a potential big game changer here for the slayer and fury - since you can teleport through walls on command that opens up maps to a lot of new strategies.

On a capture objective I captured one objective, blinked through the wall, and capped the 2nd and 3rd which spawned right next to each other in glacier.

I've done some hit and runs that way too - teleport behind the enemy spawn then teleported out.

Only thing is you have to know the maps, and recognize which walls are thin enough to teleport through.

Yeah, really excited to unlock one of the characters with this.

I was phasing from the overlook onto the landing pad in Firebase Glacier (I think). Pretty awesome. :lol

woah, you can teleport through some walls?? game-changer indeed.

i think i'm gonna go download the pack right now and play all night. oh yeahhhh. 800k credits to spend too, i hope i get something good.

Spent ~4M credits last night. No typhoon :( unlocked everything else.

Our fastest platinum time is 16 minutes. Build is 2 demolisher engineers, 2 quarian infiltrators. Glacier, Cerberus, Platinum. 2 are using Reegar carbine. Easy 137500 credits! Grenade heaven, barely use rockets too.

exYle

woah, you can teleport through some walls?? game-changer indeed.

i think i'm gonna go download the pack right now and play all night. oh yeahhhh. 800k credits to spend too, i hope i get something good.

Not only can you teleport through walls, you can teleport up/down levels. FBWhite is a great example: you can teleport from the bottom of both ladders to the top without touching the ladder, and you can teleport through the two stairway hallways, skipping the entire process.
Of course, it has it's downsides too. You can easily accidentally teleport through a wall into an enemy.

EekTheKat

Thats why slayer is awesome

Playing cat and mouse with an Atlas has never been more fun. Teleport apparently does not have invincibility frames, though I suspect it has damage reduction like some of the dodges.

I've been trying to work out a forward teleport strat - get a few melee slashes in on a boss, then when they turn around blink through them and run for cover.

Slayer has awesome potential to be a high mobility hit and run class.

Top Bottom