• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Banshees I see/hear coming from a mile away. Praetorians are sneaky little ninjas sometimes. Especially when they jump across the map.

But fighting Collectors/Gold on Hazard Giant looks amazing.

Coming from the biggest enemy of the game, that's quite a feat!

exYle

Banshees I see/hear coming from a mile away. Praetorians are sneaky little ninjas sometimes. Especially when they jump across the map.

But fighting Collectors/Gold on Hazard Giant looks amazing.

Praetorians have their little chitter/screech thing as well, and their feet clatter if they're walking. The chances of getting surprise sync-killed is much lower just because they have to switch from floating to walking to sync-kill.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Praetorians have their little chitter/screech thing as well, and their feet clatter if they're walking. The chances of getting surprise sync-killed is much lower just because they have to switch from floating to walking to sync-kill.

The sync kill isn't what bothers me. Its the ninja walk + fuckyocover lasers they kick out that lets every other living collector on the map jump into your kitchen.

Mindlog

A Geth Trooper with an Acolyte and specced for power damage can keep up with a Turian Ghost/Harrier X. On Platinum.

That's pretty effective.

*oops
Right now I am 6/6/5/5/4, but this is better. I will switch to it next time I'm on.

Flamer 6: Damage (Reach is OK), Damage, Armor (Shields/Barriers are sort of OK, but the Acolyte is really the weapon for that)
Fortification 5: Durability, Power Damage
Hunter Mode 6: Weapon Accuracy (In case I want to use a gun, Power Recharge is fine), Power Damage, Damage
Networked AI 5: Power Damage, Power Damage
Fitness 4: Durability

There is another tankier build that emphasizes shield recharge, but I prefer damage.

Im currently chasing the Bloodpack banner. About 90% through it now.
Had some suprizing success/good games with the Krogan adept. I like trying to charge/heavy melee the enemy and detonate them at the same time.
Got my Black Widow up to XII last night too. Its a gun Ive hardly ever used. The Wraith is still my favorite UR. Pretty and Powerful.

I havent used any sniper rifle for ages TBH. I just thought Id mention it as I saw a really good Salarian Infi the other night using the BW. I used to use the regular Widow in Silver all the time. I thought it was great then.
My Wraith is at XIII. My Harrier is only at II as is my Hurricane :/

Bisnic

XII?! Clearly you're OP as hell.

XIII?! Clearly you're OP as hell.

Meh. That's nothing compared to my :
pLN00.jpg

Anyone think the Collectors will get nerfed soon?
Maybe get rid of swarms altogether. Add some kind of noise to the Pretorians so they cant ninja kill you and lower the damage or blast radius on those atomic husks?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Anyone think the Collectors will get nerfed soon?
Maybe get rid of swarms altogether. Add some kind of noise to the Pretorians so they cant ninja kill you and lower the damage or blast radius on those atomic husks?

The Collectors aren't that bad. They just force you to move as a team more imo

The Geth are still the league leaders in bullshit

EekTheKat

You would think somebody would get the hint that I don't want them in my lobby when I would flag them to be kicked or just leave whenever they join.

Matchmaking keeps putting the same rocket glitcher I'm trying to avoid in my game.

EekTheKat

And...done...finally a clean plat run with extraction on giant hazard.

Asari Justicar is ridiculous on platinum. 200k easy on that map if your team lacks firepower

A Geth Trooper with an Acolyte and specced for power damage can keep up with a Turian Ghost/Harrier X. On Platinum.

That's pretty effective.

*oops
Right now I am 6/6/5/5/4, but this is better. I will switch to it next time I'm on.

Flamer 6: Damage (Reach is OK), Damage, Armor (Shields/Barriers are sort of OK, but the Acolyte is really the weapon for that)
Fortification 5: Durability, Power Damage
Hunter Mode 6: Weapon Accuracy (In case I want to use a gun, Power Recharge is fine), Power Damage, Damage
Networked AI 5: Power Damage, Power Damage
Fitness 4: Durability

There is another tankier build that emphasizes shield recharge, but I prefer damage.

I gave mine a Reegar Carbine. Tears shit apart, but dies easily if anything gets the jump on you.

Geth seem to stagger against everything.

Also, I've been using the Indra sniper rifle as a poor-man's Cerberus harrier. Seems to work pretty well.

And...done...finally a clean plat run with extraction on giant hazard.

Asari Justicar is ridiculous on platinum. 200k easy on that map if your team lacks firepower

offensive bubble i'm guessing? i've never tried it, maybe i should.. it just seems like it would be too tricky to use, so i just prefer to have it defensive.

X-Frame

I love the offensive bubble. Place at choke points and lure enemies into it and then they just seem to melt, stagger, and die quickly. With 990 shields and 40% damage reduction from Reave the Justicar is a lot more tanky than most characters and can maneuver in to drop bubbles in key locations or around bosses. Just be sure not to run in to sync-kill bosses that are facing you, haha. Wait till they are staggered or not looking at you.

Stantron

THIS is an N7 Shadow build that does great versus all Cerberus units sans Atlus (that's what teammates are for). I haven't tried it much against the other factions.

Tactical cloak is set to duration/melee/bonus power so you can shadow strike twice in a row. Once the melee bonus from fitness is in place though, I can kill Gold phantoms in one strike. Turrets can go down in one strike + a couple shotgun shots. Dragoons are also left with little health. Duration is about 11 seconds, so it's also useful for being a medic or doing a hack objective.

Three ranks into electric slash. It's weak, but useful for doing behind cover when it's too dangerous to engage. You can also use it to set off a tech burst of the electrical damage from a shadow strike but I don't find that too useful.

Shadow strike is set to shield drain for rank 6, which is very useful for gaining back shields after being on the cusp of death. Even though you can cloak and then go into shadow strike, it doesn't mean you are invincible during the travel. A grenade or other enemy fire can damage you so you need to be careful. Also, getting very close to enemies will sometimes make them aware of you even though you are tactically cloaked (i.e. turret). This can be frustrating so try to be cautious to have it happen less often.

Your cloak is broken immediately after the second shadow strike hits, so be careful. Though tempting, sometimes it's much safer to escape with cloak intact than to expose yourself in a crowd of hostiles. Cool down only takes about two seconds anyways, and you can travel through walls to re-engage if need be.

N7 Shadow is set to power damage for rank 4 and 5 because these damage bonuses apply to shadow strike. Sword mastery (fitness) is all melee, and shield/barrier damage for rank 6. It would be nice if I could toggle rank 6 to armor to see how affective that is, but this works very well for me, and is synergistic with shield drain of the shadow strike.

I use the Disciple because it allows me to have the best melee mod in the game; the omni-blade + 50% melee bonus. And it's the lightest shotgun which allows for quick cool downs. The weapon damage is weak, but the vast majority of damage will come from shadow strike. Throw a shredder on for the second mod. And finally omni capacitors for gear, which adds bonus damage and faster cool down to shadow strike.

Bisnic

The flame sword(extra damage on armor) for the N7 Shadow is probably better, since armor is harder to take down than barrier or shield. Anyone with an Acolyte or Reegar Carbine can burn down those fast.

Stantron

The flame sword(extra damage on armor) for the N7 Shadow is probably better, since armor is harder to take down than barrier or shield. Anyone with an Acolyte or Reegar Carbine can burn down those fast.

Next time I promote the class, I'm gonna do the same build without rank 6 on sword mastery at all so I can test out how effective it is. If I can still take out phantoms in a single shadow strike, or close to it, then I'll put the points into flame. Funny how the acolyte/reegar can lessen the value of certain class builds.

Bisnic

Next time I promote the class, I'm gonna do the same build without rank 6 on sword mastery at all so I can test out how effective it is. If I can still take out phantoms in a single shadow strike, or close to it, then I'll put the points into flame. Funny how the acolyte/reegar can lessen the value of certain class builds.

Been a while since i played N7 Shadow on gold, but with a build without the power bonus from the N7 Shadow tree, and with the flame sword, i could kill Phantoms with one Shadow Strike followed by a heavy melee while they were confused. Brutes needed 2 Shadow Strikes from what I remember, but i think they buffed their armor since last time i tried.

Stantron

What is the purpose of promoting a class?

It adds 10 points to your N7 e-peen rating which is tracked on the leaderboard and displayed in the lobby. But it's pretty meaningless since it doesn't track skill. Also, there have been operations in the past that have required promoting a character.
I sometimes promote when I don't want to waste a respec card on a character. Every character in that class is reset back to level 1, so you'll need to level them back up to 20, which in turn adds another 20 points to your N7 rating. But if you messed up assigning points, or if you just want to try something new, you get a fresh start with all characters in that class.

Does anyone else put thought into the names of their characters?
My humans just have boring names like John and Mike but I try to put more effort into my aliens.
I have a Vorcha soldier named Rax, a Krogan soldier named Krunk and an Aasari adept named Nairi IIRC. I have others that I cant remember. Rax is probably the best Ive come up with. It suits that vermin Vorcha IMO.

X-Frame

I've maxed out everything except ultra-rares.

Now all I get in PSPs are level 4 ammo upgrades.

:(

I'm currently trying to max out my Uncommon Gear with Spectre Packs. I figure since SP's give 3 Uncommon Slots + 1 Rare @ 60,000c that it's a better deal than 3 Veteran Packs with only 1 Uncommon Slot but 4 Common ones.

So far, slowly but surely. And once I max the Uncommon Gear then it's time to hunt for UR's.

EekTheKat

Cheaters never change. One guy showed up in his Rocket Glitcher kit, I immediately tried to boot him, he then swapped to a different kit hoping I saw him change then quickly went back to his rocket glitcher kit and readied up.

So utterly pathetic. I just wound up leaving because another guy in the lobby was begging me to let him cheat (which to me is even more pathetic than the rocket cheater).

An-Det

I'm currently trying to max out my Uncommon Gear with Spectre Packs. I figure since SP's give 3 Uncommon Slots + 1 Rare @ 60,000c that it's a better deal than 3 Veteran Packs with only 1 Uncommon Slot but 4 Common ones.

So far, slowly but surely. And once I max the Uncommon Gear then it's time to hunt for UR's.

I've been working on maxing Uncommons as well. I've been doing Veteran Packs, didn't' know Spectre Packs were that good value relative to Veterans. Guess I'll be switching that up.

Sajjaja

My humans just have boring names like John and Mike but I try to put more effort into my aliens.
I have a Vorcha soldier named Rax, a Krogan soldier named Krunk and an Aasari adept named Nairi IIRC. I have others that I cant remember. Rax is probably the best Ive come up with. It suits that vermin Vorcha IMO.

I named my Paladin Sam Gideon >_>

Bisnic

Man, i'm not getting any randoms on PC tonight, must be Call of Duty. Damn CoD, stealing my alien allies.

Sajjaja

Holy crap, the PS3 servers are fucking terrible..... Takes me 2 minutes to connect to EA servers. Okay. Play through 7-8 waves of a game. D/C. Okay....Reconnect after a few minutes; I'm in the game I just got disconnected from, now on wave 11....there go my credits.....Play another game...laggy as shit. Manage to finish the game, can't even get to the summary page. You have lost connection to the EA servers. I can't connect anymore.

Fucckkkk offff. Ever since the collector update I've been having connection issues....fix your shit EA.

Is there a way for me to somehow transfer my ME3 install from one computer to the other? I will be out of my town for the next 4 days and the Internet where I will be is very bad. I would much rather not download all that GB of data + DLC.

Melchiah

Yep. I usually try to give them a name that fits the character.

Geth Engineer & Infiltrator - Phalanx & Technarch, techno-organic entities in the X-men universe. (Also: "The phalanx is a rectangular mass military formation, usually composed entirely of heavy infantry armed with spears, pikes, sarissas, or similar weapons. The term is particularly (and originally) used to describe the use of this formation in Ancient Greek warfare, although the ancient Greek writers used it to also describe any massed infantry formation, regardless of its equipment, as does Arrian in his Array against the Alans when he refers to his legions.")
Kroguard - Jagannath ("The huge chariots of Jagannath pulled during Rath Yatra is the etymological origin of the English word Juggernaut.")
Salarian Engineer, whom I've colored red & yellow - Iron Mordin
Turian Sentinel - Drakh, as he resembles this guy from Babylon 5:
sydoE.jpg

Vorcha Soldier & Sentinel - Feral & Vorador, the latter is a sharp-toothed and pointy-eared character in Legacy of Kain series:
mDQig.jpg

Drell Adept - Shade ("The Shade is a comic book character developed in the 1940s for National Comics. Debuting as a villain, the Shade was best known for fighting against two generations of superheroes ... Though initially portrayed in the Golden Age comics as a thief with a cane that could manipulate shadows, the character was reinvented in 1994 as a morally ambiguous Victorian era immortal who gained the ability to manipulate shadows.")
Asari Adept & Justicar - Hexia & Lamia ("In ancient Greek mythology, Lamia was a beautiful queen of Libya who became a child-eating daemon. Later traditions referred to many lamiae; these were folkloric monsters similar to vampires and succubi that seduced young men and then fed on their blood. ... In later stories, Lamia was cursed with the inability to close her eyes so that she would always obsess over the image of her dead children.")
Volus Adept & Engineer - Humpty & Dumpty.

Yep. I usually try to give them a name that fits the character...

Wow. You put a lot of thought into yours. lol @ humpty & dumpty. I might steal that one
Just got one UR in two consecuctive PSP's.
A Talon V followed by a Saber V. I dont really use either gun though :(

edit: Just bought a regular Spectre pack with my remaining 60k and got a UR Collector SMG. Thats an UR hat-trick! Thats never happened to me before. Too bad I dont have any cash left to continue my streak.

Bisnic

I usually just name my aliens with variant of well known characters from the campaign, like Thanes or Garros or Mordan. Or when i have no idea, like for Batarians, i just call them Ugly or UglyToo.

Yes, i know... very original. :p

Turians: Darrus, Taren.
Krogans: Wrage, Wrath, Wravage, Wrock.
Salarians: Gordin, Solis.
Asari: Shee-Ra, Teela, Linari.
Drell: Krios, Silas.
Geth: 1825114 (Ryan in numerical from) etc.
Batarians: Balak, Kalak.
Volus: Kolus, Zolus.
Quarians: Xali, Vali, Kreegar.
Humans: Jimbo, Bob, Larry, Fox, Mantis, Eva, etc.

Bisnic

The Vorcha Hunter (Engineer) is apparently the new character this week.

Bloodlust, Incinerate, Submission Net. Blah.

Nice to finally see another character with the net. Still want Ballistic Blades on someone else too!

Sucks how they're keeping the new Drell for last it seems.

exYle

Balance Changes for this week are live:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nov 14, 2012
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

New hazard maps available this week are Firebase Glacier and Firebase Ghost

Vorcha Hunter Engineer kit now available as a new Rare card

XP and Score Rewards (applies to points earned for Challenges)
- XP/Score bonus on Gold difficulty increased from 40% to 60%
- XP/Score bonus on Platinum difficulty increased from 60% to 100%

Shield Gate
- Cooldown between getting shield gates decreased from 4 to 3 seconds, meaning you have to wait
less time before you get your shield gate back.

Objectives
- Decreased the chance that enemies will spawn close to annex objectives

Challenges
- Fixed an issue causing the Turian Soldier challenge to give too many notifications

Stantron

Bloodlust: healthregen/powerdamage/healthregen
Subnet: damage/damage&slow/electricfield
Incinerate: radius/burndamage/armordamage
passive: powerdamage/powerdamage
fitness to rank 3

This is how I plan to spec the Vorcha Hunter. Electric field and radius of incenerate should be good to set up tech bursts (or would it be fire explosions?) especially after the bloodlust buffs start stacking. Health regen to help with survivability.

Submission Net sounds fun on a Vorcha.
Lots of melee and tech explosions incoming, me thinks.
I loved having my Vorcha soldier equipped with the Claymore. It gave me the chance to hit them hard after my flamer expired. I'll probably roll with the Wraith for this new Vorcha though.

Of the four likely characters to be released this week (the engineers and the infiltrators), Bioware expertly chose the one that makes it super easy to go ahead and keep that halo 4 disk in. Really hoping for the Drell next week.

X-Frame

Nice. I still havent done the submission net challenge.

His Submission Net is pre-buff though, which means they gave him the original Submission Net with the weaker damage and longer cooldown that the Batarian Sentinel was released with, but they have since buffed it a bunch.

So if you were to attempt the Net challenge, I'd still use the Batarian until next week when they fix it for the balance changes.

Mindlog

Tried the Vorcha. He was OK, but really needs that net buff.
Switched to Platinum with my Geth Trooper. I joined a few different rooms with obvious missile glitchers. Finally I joined a game in progress (with a missile glitcher.) The objective round came up and I decided to practice running with the package. I can almost do it! Of course I wasn't actually trying to run it back towards the extraction zone and apparently this angered the missile glitchers. The host left and no one stayed behind. I soloed Hazard Ghost/Collectors/Platinum from Wave 3 to extraction

So I'll scratch that off my to-do list.
Next up: Kill at least to allies by lashing a possessed abomination!

Top Bottom