• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

Chocobro

You have a four person party already? D:

I can usually play from 9am-noon and 1pm-10pm EST, if you don't mind having me join / have a slot open.

GT: ChocobroBread

I am usually on early on weekend morning, like 9 am EST. I have been on today since I am home from work sick, but normally I dont get to play during the week at all.

I'm EST as well. Phat, you're 9 hours ahead, right?

How about noon Sunday? My roommates and I are throwing a party Saturday night so I don't know if I can do earlier than noon the following day.

I'm EST as well. Phat, you're 9 hours ahead, right?

How about noon Sunday? My roommates and I are throwing a party Saturday night so I don't know if I can do earlier than noon the following day.
if thats 9pm my time I can do it.

everyone post ur gamertags in here so we can add each other n mention ur from neogaf in the message.

IAMBLEST is me.

EekTheKat

I've been having some surprisingly good runs with a Drell Infiltrator with a Paladin X. Though arguably anything is decent with a Paladin X given it's basically a sniper rifle in pistol form.

Just have to finish my outsider mastery, then it's a matter of promoting 58 more times to get the banner that shall not be used.

Got some more platinum matches in, good fun when playing with an organized group. Just need to clear 3 more matches with the Geth Trooper, and I'll be among the BEST OF THE BEST. Whoo.

Melchiah

FUUUUUUU.... Just exchanged credits for two Spectre Packs. The first one failed to register, and I didn't got the pack eventhough it subtracted the credits. The second one gave me the long-sought-after upgrade to Geth Pulse Rifle, but for some odd reason it doesn't show in my inventory, neither on the PS3 or the website. Four Silver matches for nothing. FTS

FUUUUUUU.... Just exchanged credits for two Spectre Packs. The first one failed to register, and I didn't got the pack eventhough it subtracted the credits. The second one gave me the long-sought-after upgrade to Geth Pulse Rifle, but for some odd reason it doesn't show in my inventory, neither on the PS3 or the website. Four Silver matches for nothing. FTS

I've never heard of this happening. Are you 100% sure you didn't get the items. Did you go back into the store and check the last pack purchased? I'm pretty sure that's an option.

Melchiah

I've never heard of this happening. Are you 100% sure you didn't get the items. Did you go back into the store and check the last pack purchased? I'm pretty sure that's an option.

Yep, and I even tried booting up the system. Not getting packs while still loosing credits has happened to me before, in the first few months of the MP. But this is the first time I get something ,and it doesn't show in the inventory.

Sai

Yep, and I even tried booting up the system. Not getting packs while still loosing credits has happened to me before, in the first few months of the MP. But this is the first time I get something ,and it doesn't show in the inventory.
Try talking to Origin Customer Support. They might try to make it up to you.

Oblivionmancer i added you (IAMBLEST)

also, these arsenal packs are great. I got a Harrier VI today, Wraith II yesterday and Indra II the day before. The Harrier at VI is a lot of fun.

Melchiah

Try talking to Origin Customer Support. They might try to make it up to you.

I tried that the last time, when I actually paid real money for packs I never got, and they did nothing but told me to boot up the game and try again.

EDIT: I'm playing the game on PS3, not PC, by the way.

EDIT.2: On further inspection, it appears I actually got the upgrade on the other pack, but for Geth Plasma Shotgun. Damn, I apparently saw what I wanted to see. =) I didn't receive the other pack though. Hopefully that's corrected tonight, when I boot up the game again.

Ronabo

I think it's messed up that I have all rare characters/gear/weapons maxed out, but still need quite a few uncommon gear.

Also I'm always up for playing. I play mostly nights EST. I'm on 360.

My Gamertag = Ronabo

Mindlog

The Drell Adept I had been toying with just blew my mind. I was surprising myself with how easy it was to eradicate spawns. It can hit groups harder than a Fury and is no slouch taking down bosses. Gold is a cakewalk and Platinum is not a problem.

Might be able to finish my Outsider banner before the end of the month.

The Drell Adept I had been toying with just blew my mind. I was surprising myself with how easy it was to eradicate spawns. It can hit groups harder than a Fury and is no slouch taking down bosses. Gold is a cakewalk and Platinum is not a problem.

I need to get back to wrecking house with the Drell Adept, so much fun, and I'm finally BEST OF THE BEST so I can play whatever class I want again (as if I couldn't before, derp).

X-Frame

I need to get back to wrecking house with the Drell Adept, so much fun, and I'm finally BEST OF THE BEST so I can play whatever class I want again (as if I couldn't before, derp).

I just got mine today as well. Too bad it's the ugliest banner out of all of them. I really hope the next patch or DLC has alternates to the banners.

Mindlog

I like the Hardcore banner, but the title is stupid.
Same with the Outsider banner :\

I've decided against getting the N7 banner. I like my low N7 rating.
With that in mind I don't know why I am chasing the other banners, but I will still be tempted to grind out 18 more Asari Huntress games even though I don't really want to do that -_-

I like the Hardcore banner, but the title is stupid.
Same with the Outsider banner :\

I've decided against getting the N7 banner. I like my low N7 rating.
Considering that I don't know why I am chasing the other banners, but I know I am going to be tempted to grind out 18 more Asari Huntress games even though I don't really want to do that -_-

I like the Nomad banner, and that's one that just rolls up naturally from playing the game in general.

I gave the Huntress a try today with a Reegar+Warp ammo and did quite well. I still hope that the next dlc comes with a patch to get her cloak working properly. She'll be even more of a monster with warp ammo than she is now if that happens.

X-Frame

I love the Drell Adept but I have a hard time going with Power & Capacity & Power Damage on his Passive as opposed to those glorious Weapon & Headshot evolutions instead. My reasoning is I'll be using the weapon a lot more than powers, so those evolutions would be more effective overall.

Mindlog

I love the Drell Adept but I have a hard time going with Power & Capacity & Power Damage on his Passive as opposed to those glorious Weapon & Headshot evolutions instead. My reasoning is I'll be using the weapon a lot more than powers, so those evolutions would be more effective overall.
The Drell has a lot of excellent builds. Right now I'm doing most of my damage vs groups (spawns in particular) with Reave and Clusters so that's where I put my passives. I cast Reave almost non-stop as it stuns, primes and offers DR. It's almost like a fast long-range heavy melee.

Weapon passives would probably work great for me as well. Right now I'm having a lot of fun blowing everything up. I have a lot of weapon-centric classes so it's nice to switch up to the constant din of biotic explosions.

The easy method to check which way to go is to keep an eye on your medals. If they're weighted towards Biotic or Weapon kills then it helps inform the decision.

The Drell has a lot of excellent builds. Right now I'm doing most of my damage vs groups (spawns in particular) with Reave and Clusters so that's where I put my passives. I cast Reave almost non-stop as it stuns, primes and offers DR. It's almost like a fast long-range heavy melee.

Weapon passives would probably work great for me as well. Right now I'm having a lot of fun blowing everything up. I have a lot of weapon-centric classes so it's nice to switch up to the constant din of biotic explosions.

The easy method to check which way to go is to keep an eye on your medals. If they're weighted towards Biotic or Weapon kills then it helps inform the decision.

Weapon passives don't do much for me on him as 95% of my weapon use is shield stripping/staggering with the acolyte (with warp ammo of course), with the CSMG as a rarely used backup. Like you, I get the majority of my mileage out of nuking 2-5 enemies at once with a reave+cluster combo. I'm actually considering pulling rank six out of the racial passive to throw 3 points back into pull.

The adept can certainly be potent with guns, given warp ammo's absurd power, but both of the other drell kits fill the niche better in my opinion.

TheShah

If you bring an acolyte pull is great for everything except boss characters.

Randoms in this game frustrate me an irrational amount. I feel like I get pigeonholed into playing a handful of classes in order to guarantee success.

If you bring an acolyte pull is great for everything except boss characters.

Randoms in this game frustrate me an irrational amount. I feel like I get pigeonholed into playing a handful of classes in order to guarantee success.
my greatest peeve are people that go into spawn points when ur setting up choke points in corridoors. fucking amateurs. it means the enemy appears opposite where u want them to be..

Mindlog

Weapon passives don't do much for me on him as 95% of my weapon use is shield stripping/staggering with the acolyte (with warp ammo of course), with the CSMG as a rarely used backup. Like you, I get the majority of my mileage out of nuking 2-5 enemies at once with a reave+cluster combo. I'm actually considering pulling rank six out of the racial passive to throw 3 points back into pull.

The adept can certainly be potent with guns, given warp ammo's absurd power, but both of the other drell kits fill the niche better in my opinion.
I'm the opposite right now. Use my CSMG, but rarely pull out the Acolyte backup. It's probably because I'm tired of using the Acolyte and I have hundreds of SMG rail amps.

With this style of DA it's really weird to be constantly using Clusters, but never run out when they're crucially needed. It just works, somehow.
Honestly, I think its easier than Silver most of the time because Gold will slap you right in the mouth for being stupid whereas a game can really get away from in Silver since its so easy to do bullshit and get away with it.
I'm actually getting that feeling from Platinum/Gold now. I just started playing Platinum again to get back to 15m credits before DLC hits. My last Platinum game on Giant(H) was phenomenal. On the last wave someone dropped the object so my Drell could pick it up and use the back ladder to the LZ. As soon as I crested the ladder 3 different players lit up my entire route home with Cobras without being prompted. TEAM!

That game my CSMG DA again outscored a Harrier GI, a Piranha GI and a Valkyrie. I know that in pubs with great players half of your score is guessing spawns correctly. Using score and banners is foolish, but that kind of regular success is a good measuring stick. Drell Adept you are very strong.

...and I'm actually way closer to the Outsider banner than I thought I was. I'm just used to the Commando banner's 90% which translates to one million more waves -_-

Is it me or do the Collectors on Gold give noticeably less amount of points than the other 3 factions?

I've definitely noticed that games against Collectors tend to be much lower scoring, but I'm not certain why. Points per unit don't really seem to be lower, so I'm not sure if they spawn fewer units per wave, or if it's just that their difficulty makes it harder to do really 'well' against them in a way that transfers to score (except for those revive medals!), or what it might be.

I'm the opposite right now. Use my CSMG, but rarely pull out the Acolyte backup. It's probably because I'm tired of using the Acolyte and I have hundreds of SMG rail amps.

With this style of DA it's really weird to be constantly using Clusters, but never run out when they're crucially needed. It just works, somehow.

I'm pretty sure I've been in that place too, I think you just get into kind of a groove with him one way or the other, and kind of just 'forget' to switch weapons. Regardless, he's an amazing kit, my favorite adept no contest. As for the grenades, I have the same results, unless I'm playing on one of the very few maps at this point that only gives 1 grenade per ammo box. It's interesting the way ammo spawns on dlc/hazard maps has effected the overall utility of grenade classes (not to mention grenade gear).

X-Frame

I've definitely noticed that games against Collectors tend to be much lower scoring, but I'm not certain why. Points per unit don't really seem to be lower, so I'm not sure if they spawn fewer units per wave, or if it's just that their difficulty makes it harder to do really 'well' against them in a way that transfers to score (except for those revive medals!), or what it might be.

I just dislike playing against the Collectors in general. From the no-power bubble shield on the Praetorians to the stunlock on the Scion cannons that prevent your character from performing any action to the ridiculously high-healthed seeker swarms, plus much more, .. they're just not as fun.

I just dislike playing against the Collectors in general. From the no-power bubble shield on the Praetorians to the stunlock on the Scion cannons that prevent your character from performing any action to the ridiculously high-healthed seeker swarms, plus much more, .. they're just not as fun.

I feel like even before being possessed, their armored units just have ridiculous amounts of HP compared to every other faction, and that's what frustrates me most. Firing a Wraith at a Praetorian feels like shooting an Eviscerator at a Banshee. On the subject of Banshees, though, at least the Praetorian's power immunity has a strong visual telegraph, unlike the Banshees, which lasted several seconds beyond her little talk to the hand animation.

All in all I feel like the Collectors are the most punishing to poor or poorly coordinated groups, but level out pretty well compared to other factions when you're playing with a strong team.

Im able to finish Collector Gold now at will..you just have to be REALLY careful and use cover well. Pretorians are scary and after every possessed kill you MUST dive away or you will bite it.

Im still not ready for platinum yet - ill only do that when i have my UR's at X I need every advantage i can get before tackling that seriously..

Im able to finish Collector Gold now at will..you just have to be REALLY careful and use cover well. Pretorians are scary and after every possessed kill you MUST dive away or you will bite it.

Im still not ready for platinum yet - ill only do that when i have my UR's at X I need every advantage i can get before tackling that seriously..

But then you won't even need the extra credits from platinum!

keeth

Neo Member
Thanks to that Drell build posted above, I had some awesome games tonight. Well over 100k on Silver. Loving it! Cheers.

Then I finally -- FINALLY -- got a Harrier I. Quickly tried it out on a Level 1 soldier, and.. well, I can understand the hype. Zounds.

Thanks again for the Drell tips!

Stantron

Why do you choose rank 5 damage combo for cluster grenades? It says more damage to already lifted targets, but you don't have any points in Pull.
Also, you choose shrapnel on rank 6 because it is better for crowd control, right.
I usually choose barriers&armor rank 6 on reave. Is damage&duration just preference, or ideal for this build? thanks.

X-Frame

Why do you choose rank 5 damage combo for cluster grenades? It says more damage to already lifted targets, but you don't have any points in Pull.

The description is incomplete. What it needs to say is that it increases damage to anything primed for a biotic explosion. So if you Reave/Warp/Dark Channel (etc) a group of enemies, when you hit them with cluster grenades, the first grenade that hits the target is doubled in damage.

This also applies with Warp Ammo. So for the most damage per shot, biotic characters would do well to take Warp Ammo. Once a biotic explosion goes off on that enemy though, the Warp Ammo no longer does the extra damage and the enemy needs to be re-primed.

It's why I love the Drell Adept or the Batarian Slasher Adept. Hit an enemy with Reave/Warp, fire Warp Ammo-boosted bullets in their bodies then follow up with cluster grenades for a boosted biotic explosion.

Mindlog

Also, you choose shrapnel on rank 6 because it is better for crowd control, right.
I usually choose barriers&armor rank 6 on reave. Is damage&duration just preference, or ideal for this build? thanks.
X-Frame covered clusters quite nicely.

With reave I picked DR partly because shields/barriers are never a problem. Even without the Acolyte you can chew through shields/barriers quite easily. The Acolyte is still very powerful for its weight and one of the best weapons in the game. It would be a good idea to take it along. Since I'm always casting reave anyway the DR helps me be marginally less squishy. Along with his speed and agility the Drell Adept can tank and avoid quite a bit of punishment. With all the running around (especially into spawns) I would consider DR ideal.

If anyone has some good Huntress builds then I'm all ears! Right now I have a DC/melee Huntress that was fun for a match or two. Narida makes Pierce on DC look more appealing.

Stantron

Got it. Thanks, guys. I'll give this build a try.

One thing I hope Bioware improves on is explaining the mechanics a lot better for future games. Rank 5 of cluster grenades being a prime example of the game doing a poor job. There are a ton of other details that should be explained in game which are not. Damage of biotic explosions, for example, depend soley on the rank of the primer and detonater. I would not have known this without reading the BSN forums.

X-Frame

Got it. Thanks, guys. I'll give this build a try.

One thing I hope Bioware improves on is explaining the mechanics a lot better for future games. Rank 5 of cluster grenades being a prime example of the game doing a poor job. There are a ton of other details that should be explained in game which are not. Damage of biotic explosions, for example, depend soley on the rank of the primer and detonater. I would not have known this without reading the BSN forums.

Not to mention the sheer amount of bugs that players tested themselves and discovered, like abilities, are not working or working differently than intended, hidden features, etc that can drastically change a character's build if known.

BSN Thread for all tests on abilities, weapons, mods,etc that might be worth looking into as well.
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/343/index/13855086#13855086

If anyone has some good Huntress builds then I'm all ears! Right now I have a DC/melee Huntress that was fun for a match or two. Narida makes Pierce on DC look more appealing.

I love the Huntress. Maximize her power damage and therefore Warp and DC's DoT power bonuses and you can cast it on a Phantom and DC will just kill her outright rather quickly. Bring Warp Ammo and the DoT will melt Banshee's and other barrier/armored enemies at the same time as you're firing on them, but also do lots of damage if left alone with DC's "Pierce".

I tried a full power DoT build and was very impressed. It's only like 15 seconds to take down a Brute and DC jumps automatically to a new target. I had a glass cannon build since she isn't as confrontational you can cast DC and hide and fire from safety. It's the best "pet" power in the game I think.

Or you can build her more to take advantage of biotic priming and using Warp Ammo by going for weapon passives and bring a Claymore or Harrier to maximize that with the added bonus that DC will be doing DoT, even if weaker than a full power build, at the same time. Cast DC on a troop and just warp ammo as it jumps from target to target. That is what I might go with next as weapon damage will be the cause of the most damage anyway so might as well take advantage unless you're out of Warp Ammo. DoT obviously isn't as powerful as a Claymore to the face but being able to do significant DoT damage without looking at a target is powerful in its own way.

See a boss, cast Warp first and fire weapon then re-cloak and fire DC and keep firing to keep the biotic priming and double damage of the Warp Ammo going, plus Warp's debuff and DC's DoT. If you do DC and then Warp you'll cause an explosion which will eliminate the bonus.

It's such a powerful combination. Hopefully she is patched to get the cloak weapon damage then she will be a god tier character.

So I enter a match and I found 1 dude playing and the system says "One player is missing" then the enemies were getting annihilated on the Spawn area with invisible bullets, its some kind of glitch?

This is a dumb question. You guys have talked about certain guns being perfect for certain classes and not necessarily so for others, sometimes even as specific as the character type within a class (e.g. gun X is great for Drell Adept and not for Human Adept). Is there a way to figure these types of things out? Right now, all I really focus on are damage, weapon weight, rate of fire, and stability. Since I have yet to unlock so many weapons, will I just get a feel for what works when I do unlock them? What makes a gun perfect for a certain character type and class?

This is a dumb question. You guys have talked about certain guns being perfect for certain classes and not necessarily so for others, sometimes even as specific as the character type within a class (e.g. gun X is great for Drell Adept and not for Human Adept). Is there a way to figure these types of things out? Right now, all I really focus on are damage, weapon weight, rate of fire, and stability. Since I have yet to unlock so many weapons, will I just get a feel for what works when I do unlock them? What makes a gun perfect for a certain character type and class?

Well the last attribute, the one you're after, is less concretely definable--synergy. How well do a guns properties sync up with the existing abilities of the kit, as well as your particular style of play?

For a straightforward example, examine the acolyte. One of the best weapons in the game, with a very particular role--shield stripping and staggering enemies. Packing these abilities into an extremely lightweight gun has an incredible amount of utility, but that doesn't make it a good gun for every class. For all it's power, it's a waste of a weapon slot on a geth engineer, for example, because it already fulfills the role of that gun with Overload. On adept kits, on the other hand, which generally lack a means to strip shields efficiently, and rely to varying degrees on powers which work less effectively or not at all on shielded enemies, it has exceptional synergy. It allows vanguards to trivialize phantoms by stripping their barriers, and then finishing them off with a charge. On a kit like a destroyer, though, which has no cooldown penalties to fear, and can use any 2 weapons to the peak of their potential, it would be a waste.

Again, the relationships between kit and weapon are very straightforward in that example, and figuring out what makes a good fit is generally tougher, and is always determined by how you use a kit as much it's inherent strengths and weaknesses. The Claymore synergizes well with the human soldier, because he can reload it instantly with adrenaline rush-if he's using adrenaline rush. On the other hand, the soldier can be used to great effect without that skill, instead spamming concussive shot for exception crowd control and detonating tech explosions, in which case he'd be better served by a lighter weapon such as a Wraith.

The Collector smg synergizes well with the Geth Engineer because it is efficient at applying ammo effects (disruptor or incendiary) which it can detonate rapidly with Overload Casts, and those overload casts create a natural pause in firing the CSMG that mitigates the risk of overheating it.

The Harrier synergizes well with the Ghost because, in addition to his many bonuses to assault rifle damage, he will be constantly making his way between ammo boxes to pick up stim packs to maintain his aggressive play and apply his great damage, which mitigates the Harrier's weakness of a low supply of ammo.

Edit: Another example. The Particle Rifle is a great gun for many weapon based kits, but is at its best on the destroyer because devastator mode gives him higher ammo count, allowing him to sustain charged fire longer, and because he is immune to staggering, enabling him to maintain charged fire without being interrupted.

And so on, and so forth.

Mindlog

*HEADS UP*
The special packs are being removed from the store tomorrow. Spend your credits tonight.

It's such a powerful combination. Hopefully she is patched to get the cloak weapon damage then she will be a god tier character.
Great info and a good point. I should wait it out to grind and see if they plan on fixing the Huntress.

Top Bottom