• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
*HEADS UP*
The special packs are being removed from the store tomorrow. Spend your credits tonight.

Great info and a good point. I should wait it out to grind and see if they plan on fixing the Huntress.

All i saw is that they were going to remove the christmas presents tomorrow.

Great info.

That's a lot of good things to know. I guess some weapon synergies are more explicit in the skill trees of some classes. What I didn't know were the more subtle attributes like the Acolyte's shield stripping properties. Are these just things you have to read in the weapon description in-game, on forums, or narida class builder?

X-Frame

My first Ultra-Rare weapon to X: The Black Widow! Now to shabby eh?

I wish it was the Javelin, but the BW is still a great sniper rifle.

That's a lot of good things to know. I guess some weapon synergies are more explicit in the skill trees of some classes. What I didn't know were the more subtle attributes like the Acolyte's shield stripping properties. Are these just things you have to read in the weapon description in-game, on forums, or narida class builder?

Most weapons aren't as explicitly 'defined' as the acolyte, but there are definitely spreadsheets (and the class builder) that can make you aware of damage multipliers that certain weapons have. In general though, getting a good feel for a weapon is probably best achieved by using it. Here's a link to a spreadsheet that I'm pretty sure is up to date: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...a081S0FBVS1ZZzdWeXRnbGRDYnc&output=html&gid=8

Platinum is insane. Banshees on the first wave.

Pretty sure the level 9 guy was hacking. Didn't see his gun or any powers, was just standing upright the whole time and killing things like crazy.

We made it to Wave 10 but we got split up and were picked off. The Geth Soldier was basically spamming rockets and medi-gels but couldn't make it.

YiXMY.jpg

You know. I forgot about the obvious objective christmas presents -_-
I was hoping they would fix the store (by removing those packs.)

Why would you want them to remove the packs? I play waaaaay more now that I can spend my credits on reserve packs. I was so frustrated before by the lack of characters that I had almost given up playing. I just wish you were sure to get a character, and that they gave preference to new characters over filling in existing ones in those packs.

Bisnic

The store is working just as usual, so i'm not sure what's the problem Mindlog mentioned that needs fixing.

(single player question)

I'm a soldier, usually rocking incendiary ammo on my AR. I want to have one fully biotic squadmate and one fully tech squadmate, that way I'm covered for every enemy type. I'm assuming I should go Liara (with singularity hotkeyed) and EDI (with overload hotkeyed). Am I doing it right or are there better choices than that?

The store is working just as usual, so i'm not sure what's the problem Mindlog mentioned that needs fixing.

Most likely the huge delay between purchasing a pack and having it show up since the packs were introduced. It used to be basically instant (most of the time), but now there is a consistent delay, probably ~15-20 seconds.

(single player question)

I'm a soldier, usually rocking incendiary ammo on my AR. I want to have one fully biotic squadmate and one fully tech squadmate, that way I'm covered for every enemy type. I'm assuming I should go Liara (with singularity hotkeyed) and EDI (with overload hotkeyed). Am I doing it right or are there better choices than that?

There is a single player thread :p

Anyway, I don't think there's really a wrong choice in single player, I'd just roll with the squad mates you most want to hear dialogue from. I'm don't really think that group has great synergy though, if you're bringing liara, why not bring a second biotic to detonate those singularities? Or vice versa, bring another tech user to detonate tech bursts? Honestly though, my first answer is the 'real' one. This game isn't hard enough to make a choice in squad members for anything other than entertainment value necessary. That being said, playing insanity with a sentinel+liara+javik made constant, instant biotic booms easy, and hence the game super easy.

Most likely the huge delay between purchasing a pack and having it show up since the packs were introduced. It used to be basically instant (most of the time), but now there is a consistent delay, probably ~15-20 seconds.

The delay is definitely annoying but it is so worth it to actually buy a pack and have a character card be in it. That almost never happened before for me.

There is a single player thread :p

Anyway, I don't think there's really a wrong choice in single player, I'd just roll with the squad mates you most want to hear dialogue from. I'm don't really think that group has great synergy though, if you're bringing liara, why not bring a second biotic to detonate those singularities? Or vice versa, bring another tech user to detonate tech bursts? Honestly though, my first answer is the 'real' one. This game isn't hard enough to make a choice in squad members for anything other than entertainment value necessary. That being said, playing insanity with a sentinel+liara+javik made constant, instant biotic booms easy, and hence the game super easy.
Great answer, thanks a lot. I didn't realize certain powers were 'detonatable' as I've always played a soldier. I'm just playing on normal though, so I might just roll with Liara and Garrus because I like them.

And the single player thread comes up 'blocked' by my work's web filter :p

Thinking of giving this a try soon. I'm between ME and ME2, will my single player experience be hampered if I play this alongside it?

To get the "best" ending, you have to play multiplayer actually. If you're asking if playing ME3 multiplayer will affect how you play ME2, then I would say controls, weapons, and abilities pretty much have stayed the same.

Bisnic

To get the "best" ending, you have to play multiplayer actually.

That has been "fixed" a long time ago though. All you need is the extended cut installed.

And no The_Hitcher89, your single player experience won't be hampered if you play multiplayer alongside. The only thing i can think of though, is that since some of the maps are planets that you see in the campaign, it could ruin the surprise of seeing how the planets look like before you see them as you progress in the game i guess. Still nothing major.

To get the "best" ending, you have to play multiplayer actually. If you're asking if playing ME3 multiplayer will affect how you play ME2, then I would say controls, weapons, and abilities pretty much have stayed the same.

And no The_Hitcher89, your single player experience won't be hampered if you play multiplayer alongside. The only thing i can think of though, is that since some of the maps are planets that you see in the campaign, it could ruin the surprise of seeing how the planets look like before you see them as you progress in the game i guess. Still nothing major.

Cheers :)

Will probably start tomorrow, haven't had a multiplayer mini-addiction since MW2 :(

:p

Either of you guys on PS3?

Bisnic

Cheers :)

Will probably start tomorrow, haven't had a multiplayer mini-addiction since MW2 :(

:p

Either of you guys on PS3?

Just play ME3 multiplayer expecting to play on some planets you've heard in ME1/ME2(and are seen for the first time in ME3) damaged by the Reapers(as you probably expected already, Reapers aren't gonna attack the galaxy with love and peace in ME3), and you should be ok as far as spoiling stuff goes.

And no, i play on PC.

I play on Xbox.

Also, I thought that you still needed to have your galactic readiness rating at a certain percentage (above 80% at least) to get the "best" ending. So that was removed entirely with the extended cut?

Bisnic

I play on Xbox.

Also, I thought that you still needed to have your galactic readiness rating at a certain percentage (above 80% at least) to get the "best" ending. So that was removed entirely with the extended cut?

No, they reduced the galactic readiness needed from 4000 to 3100, or something like that. The % you see in the main menu never mattered.

The_Hitcher89 said:
@Bisnic, Wrex is a twat so far

Wrex isn't a twat! He's best bro after Garrus in ME3, as long as you play nice with him in ME1 and save the data from Mordin's loyalty mission in ME2 that is. I recently played ME3 with him alive and me destroying the data in ME2, and he kept doubting me in ME3, like I would betray him or something later in the game (ME3 spoiler)
(which I did, i'm so sorry Wrex bro! It was the first and last time, i promise)

Mindlog

That has been "fixed" a long time ago though. All you need is the extended cut installed.

A possible side-effect of multiplayer is that it will have you laughing at the 'difficulty' of single-player.
The delay is definitely annoying but it is so worth it to actually buy a pack and have a character card be in it. That almost never happened before for me.
That delay pretty much stopped me from buying packs entirely. It should be fixed when (if?) there's more DLC. If they're smart they'll add the new store item photos along with the banners that also take a while to load.

The packs themselves are definitely necessary. I also feel like a Premium Equipment Pack (with level III/IV equipment only) needs to be added.

Bisnic

I noticed a slight delay too, but nothing close to 15-20 secs. More like 5 secs.

Then again, i play on PC. Maybe having better hardware than 7 years old consoles actually help for this "bug". :lol

I noticed a slight delay too, but nothing close to 15-20 secs. More like 5 secs.

Then again, i don't play on PC. Maybe having better hardware than 7 years old consoles actually help for this "bug". :lol

I'm on xbox, and it's definitely inconsistent, but I've definitely seen it as long as 20 seconds. It's especially frustrating when spamming recruit packs.

Any advice for Platinum? I went Human Sentinel 6/6/6/5/3 with Warp Ammo, a Phalanx, and other consumables and one Banshee hit would almost kill me (with the DoT it's pretty close).

Are bulkier builds recommended?

Bisnic

How much better is this series on PC?

Are all three games significantly improved?

1) For one, Mass Effect 1 doesn't run like shit like it does on 360 and PS3. That's a big plus already.

2) You can easily get better than 30 FPS with 1080p if your PC is decent(mine have 8gb ram, quadcore AMD CPU 3.2 ghz and a 560ti, i get 60 FPS almost everywhere), you don't need the latest video card or CPU to run them this good. The games actually run better than fucking WoW, but the game has always been a mystery for me as to why i can't get constant 60 FPS. :lol

3) There is some fanmade mods that can give you higher res on characters, although i guess it might affect performance.

4) Aiming is much easier/faster with a mouse, but that's already a given with shooters on PC.

5) You got 8 shortcuts for powers without needing to use the Power Wheel. I don't think console versions get that much.

The only downside i guess is that they don't come with gamepad support, and that the mouse wheel doesn't even fucking work in ME2. Which sucks... having to click & hold a sidebar to scroll it down on a PC game? The fuck? :p Also, no keyboard shortcuts for menus for ME2/ME3. Have to first go through the main menu to reach the powers menu, journal, options, etc.

Melchiah

Just played Gold/Reactor/Geth match with two rookies, and a veteran with Kroguard. I was surprised that it wasn't as hard as I remembered from many months ago, when I played it the last time. I guess I, and my gear, have gotten better since then.

Geth Engineer with GPRVII, and AR amp III/Distruptor Ammo III/Power Amplifier III seemed to handle the task just fine. I didn't even need to use all my Medi-Gels, and the SMG I had was left completely unused. Unfortunately, the lobby wouldn't load after the match (not the first time), and I couldn't play another one with them.

I'm definitely going to play Gold again. Hopefully it won't be too hard to find an equally good random team.

Dave1988

Just played Gold/Reactor/Geth match with two rookies, and a veteran with Kroguard. I was surprised that it wasn't as hard as I remembered from many months ago, when I played it the last time. I guess I, and my gear, have gotten better since then.

Geth Engineer with GPRVII, and AR amp III/Distruptor Ammo III/Power Amplifier III seemed to handle the task just fine. I didn't even need to use all my Medi-Gels, and the SMG I had was left completely unused. Unfortunately, the lobby wouldn't load after the match (not the first time), and I couldn't play another one with them.

I'm definitely going to play Gold again. Hopefully it won't be too hard to find an equally good random team.

Why don't you join up with Ryan and I? Currently, we play almost daily and we could use more people to form a small Gold run group. I suck at this game but Ryan's an amazing player so you should have an easier time playing with us rather than with randoms.

Melchiah

Why don't you join up with Ryan and I? Currently, we play almost daily and we could use more people to form a small Gold run group. I suck at this game but Ryan's an amazing player so you should have an easier time playing with us rather than with randoms.

Why not. =) My PSN ID is Kraft. What time do you usually play?

EDIT: I usually play only a few times a week, about 3-5 matches at a time, and after 21:00 (GMT +2:00).

Dave1988

Why not. =) My PSN ID is Kraft. What time do you usually play?

EDIT: I usually play only a few times a week, about 3-5 matches at a time, and after 21:00 (GMT +2:00).

Usually I jump into MP whenever Ryan shows up. I don't really like playing with randoms so usually I wait for him.

A possible side-effect of multiplayer is that it will have you laughing at the 'difficulty' of single-player.

This is so true. After i played through the single player on normal then insanity, i really got into multiplayer. When the DLC came out i found out my combat skills had sharpened incredibly. I.e. knowing how to prime and detonate biotic/fire/cryo explosions, tech bursts etc. Knowing which weapons and mods to use, which ammo powers to use. i found it so helpful. Multi really sorts you out.

In other news, my fave classes now are the Geth Trooper and Geth Engineer. I swear the other night i was dominating Gold with my Geth engineer running a collector sniper rifle X with Sniper Rifle Rail Amp III, Omni Capacitors and Incindiery Ammo IV. Its such a tactical and strategic class - you throw down the turret which indicates where the enemies are, hit them with flame, overload for fire explosion or use overload to stun then roast em with the collector rifle.

such a fantastic class - although the Geth trooper is a much better tank and better for "corridoor" maps like Dagger and Glacier.

Melchiah

Usually I jump into MP whenever Ryan shows up. I don't really like playing with randoms so usually I wait for him.

Ok, PM me when you're online, and we'll see if I can join. I'll probably start playing tonight about 7 hours from now.

EDIT: Just accepted your friend request. Goddam, I've never seen so many Platinum trophies. o_O

Dave1988

Ok, PM me when you're online, and we'll see if I can join. I'll probably start playing tonight about 7 hours from now.

EDIT: Just accepted your friend request. Goddam, I've never seen so many Platinum trophies. o_O

We can start playong whenever you have time. As I said before, I usually jump into MP when Ryan shows up so I don't have to deal with randoms.

Speaking of Platinum trophies, you should see the lists of some of my friends XD

Tried out the Drell Adept build above and it's pretty awesome. Too bad I don't have the Grenade Capacity Gear so I'm always running to the ammo crates.

I don't have a Collector SMG or Acolyte though. What other gun would you recommend for that build?

Melchiah

We can start playong whenever you have time. As I said before, I usually jump into MP when Ryan shows up so I don't have to deal with randoms.

Speaking of Platinum trophies, you should see the lists of some of my friends XD

Good matches, eventhough we tended to die on the 10 wave. =)

IIRC, only one friend of mine has a couple of Platinums. I guess we old timers aren't that driven to put an effort into them. ;)

Tried out the Drell Adept build above and it's pretty awesome. Too bad I don't have the Grenade Capacity Gear so I'm always running to the ammo crates.

I don't have a Collector SMG or Acolyte though. What other gun would you recommend for that build?

Do you have an Indra? they are quite light and its a hybrid sniper rifle and assault ridle combination. Maybe a disciple if you dont have any URs?

I was buying recruit packs to fill out the last of my Human class cards, but I seemed to keep getting them, even if the class appeared to be already fully unlocked. The N7HQ inventory page only shows 4 upgrades for base human classes, is that accurate?

Melchiah

I started wondering yesterday, when I had SMG Rail Amp and Expert Package set before the match, and the arrows turned red, that are weapon damage multipliers stackable?

Xanathus

I was buying recruit packs to fill out the last of my Human class cards, but I seemed to keep getting them, even if the class appeared to be already fully unlocked. The N7HQ inventory page only shows 4 upgrades for base human classes, is that accurate?

It's possible to keep getting character cards even for classes that have maxed their customization. Yeah it really sucks, just move on to Veteran once you've maxed your weapons.

Bisnic

It's possible to keep getting character cards even for classes that have maxed their customization. Yeah it really sucks, just move on to Veteran once you've maxed your weapons.

This only happen with the original human classes though, which are considered common cards. You will never get an alien class or DLC human card again once every appearances are unlocked since they're all either uncommon or rare cards.

Xanathus

This only happen with the original human classes though, which are considered common cards. You will never get an alien class or DLC human card again once every appearances are unlocked since they're all either uncommon or rare cards.
Oh thank goodness, that would have really sucked.

Those character cards are a blessing in disguise if you're after the 'promote 60 times' challenge, or they were before the store got all screwed up and slow. Spamming out a few dozen recruit packs took a couple of minutes and could easily get your classes from level 1 to 15 or so. The same operation would take much, much longer now.

Operations return!
N7_Bounty-Weekend.jpg

Operation GENESIS (Jan 11th-13th)

Event Description: Casualties and battle fatigue have worn down some of our best units. We are cycling out soldiers whose tours of duty have been hyperextended and substituting fresh troops from human colonies. Experienced commanders are expected to stay on duty, maintain unit cohesion, and hold new recruits to N7 standards.

Individual Goal: Extract twice, once as a base male human and once as a base female human (Adept, Engineer, Infiltrator, Sentinel, Soldier, or Vanguard classes) on any map at any difficulty.

Reward: Commendation Pack

Nice reason to go back to some of the older classes I haven't used in a long time.

Bisnic

Maybe this time i will finally get my Hurricane X. I've been at IX for quite a while now.

But, i'll probably get something like a Valkyrie I or Eagle III i guess.

Top Bottom