• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

Do you have an Indra? they are quite light and its a hybrid sniper rifle and assault ridle combination. Maybe a disciple if you dont have any URs?

Don't have any of those.

I'm finding that it's the lack of grenades that are reducing my effectiveness (especially when my teammates also need grenades from the ammo crates).

Is the container on Firebase Rio still viable for camping?

We can start playong whenever you have time. As I said before, I usually jump into MP when Ryan shows up so I don't have to deal with randoms.

Speaking of Platinum trophies, you should see the lists of some of my friends XD

Seconding this. Props where its due.

But, i'll probably get something like a Valkyrie I or Eagle III i guess.

My last pack finally gave me a Hurricane. Before that? Eagle.
Still need a Typhoon. My wife even has one.

But the Harrier is still glorious.

Don't have any of those.

I'm finding that it's the lack of grenades that are reducing my effectiveness (especially when my teammates also need grenades from the ammo crates).

Is the container on Firebase Rio still viable for camping?

Why not link your manifest, it would be easier to make recommendations if we knew what you do have.

Also, yes you can camp Rio as always, but don't be lame and do that! Just keep running between crates. You can spec your grenades for 2 extra instead of the bonus 'lift' damage if you have no other way to up the count, it won't ruin the kit or anything. Really though, camping is a great way to run out of grenades, when you could be cycling around through every box on the map, they're never all empty, except maybe on platinum. Avoid the handful of maps that only spawn one grenade per box if you can: Reactor, Condor, Glacier, Hazard Glacier (I think).

Melchiah

RhQxl.jpg

Phew, finally! Goddam cramped Glacier map. Managed to clear it off Geth with a Kroguard. Another Kroguard in the team really helped in the task, and I couldn't have done it without his help. So, thanks whoever you were.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
This is my first weekend challenge, anything I should know about the commendation packs before I go ahead and complete the challenge?

It's free and it's in the store once you've beaten the challenge. You usually get a warning when you do, just like when get a medal.

First post in this thread but I've been lurking since the demo.

I put close to 400 hours into this, think I'm finally burned out. Its just a grind now. I had a black widow III all the way back in April (oddly enough I didn't get another one til November even though I maxed out other URs in that time frame), loved the shit out of sniping ( before they nerfed salarian inf.) Was a huge bummer when they took head shot damage off of Geth Primes with the first patch.

Props to Bioware for keeping this fresh for as long as they did, but what keeps you guys playing? Most of my Live friends have all the guns maxed out, I don't know what keeps them coming back anymore

I put close to 400 hours into this, think I'm finally burned out. Its just a grind now. I had a black widow III all the way back in April (oddly enough I didn't get another one til November even though I maxed out other URs in that time frame), loved the shit out of sniping ( before they nerfed salarian inf.) Was a huge bummer when they took head shot damage off of Geth Primes with the first patch.

Props to Bioware for keeping this fresh for as long as they did, but what keeps you guys playing? Most of my Live friends have all the guns maxed out, I don't know what keeps them coming back anymore

I don't play anywhere near as much as I used to, but I force myself to use different classes and guns on anything above Bronze. It keeps the gameplay from becoming completely stagnant, and I have to try different tactics. Plus Halo 4 and BLOPS 2 haven't grabbed my attention, which has been a huge surprise, so there's no multiplayer experience that I have become addicted to lately.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't have anywhere near 400 hours, but I like the character/skill/weapon variety. I'm not really in it for the credit grind, even if those are the reward, and will often force myself to use a class I'm not familiar with, or a weapon that's not all that good, just to see how they play. I like trying out different classes with different loadouts to test my own abilities, see how long I can survive.

The fact two classes with different loadouts can play so differently is what keeps me playing, I guess.

Got a Valiant VI in my pack for this weekend's challenge! I don't really know what keeps me coming back, it's probably sheer habit as much as anything at this point. To be fair, up until a couple weeks ago it was the challenges, but having finished those, I'll probably just be checking in for the weekend challenges unless (until?) they announce a new dlc pack.

Bisnic

Not really sure what they can do with another DLC.

Maybe add female Turians and Protheans?
Adjutants and Cerberus mechs enemies?
Omega and Citadel(for their next campaign DLC) maps?

But the biggest question is, is there enough of a playerbase left for them to put that effort? I assume there isn't as many people playing as back when they released the Collectors.

If they just buff the RNG (getting level 3 consumables in Vet packs is so dumb) and spend the rest of the time fixing bugs (random disconnects/glitches/exploits) I'll keep playing.

X-Frame

But the biggest question is, is there enough of a playerbase left for them to put that effort? I assume there isn't as many people playing as back when they released the Collectors.

They did confirm another DLC is coming, but no official hints yet, just probable leaks.

I think it's time for them to first bring all the SP DLC weapons into MP like the Bloodpack Punisher SMG and the Executioner Pistol plus the Chakram Launcher from the Day 1 additional content, that seems obvious. Then female Turians since we now have a model for them.

Maybe the introduction of classes with powers like Dominate and Defense Matrix, which are in SP but not in MP.

Beyond that, it's anyone's guess. Maybe they'll finish off with races in certain classes like a Krogan Infiltrator and a Geth Sentinel. Hopefully they'll all have unique and new powers and not re-used like Retaliation.

Bisnic

They did confirm another DLC is coming, but no official hints yet, just probable leaks.

I think it's time for them to first bring all the SP DLC weapons into MP like the Bloodpack Punisher SMG and the Executioner Pistol plus the Chakram Launcher from the Day 1 additional content, that seems obvious. Then female Turians since we now have a model for them.

Maybe the introduction of classes with powers like Dominate and Defense Matrix, which are in SP but not in MP.

Beyond that, it's anyone's guess. Maybe they'll finish off with races in certain classes like a Krogan Infiltrator and a Geth Sentinel. Hopefully they'll all have unique and new powers and not re-used like Retaliation.

They must be out of ideas outside of adding SP stuff into MP though, there is already so many characters, guns, gear and mods, what else can they do? I'd love to see hazard versions of all the DLC maps in addition of 2 or 3 new maps though. Give us Omega, Illium and Citadel maps Bioware!

An-Det

I get into a pug with 3 others, they were chatty and seemed cool so I plug my mic in. We end up doing a round of 4 infiltrators and having a blast in party chat, and now we're doing 2 krogan vanguards, 2 krogan sentinels and headbutting Geth Primes to death on gold. Fucking fun.

Mindlog

It will probably be the last thing they do and the March 5th release date (1 year anniversary) sounds about right.

My last game reminded me why I keep playing. Rio/Gold/Reapers. I switch off of my grenade class to let a Drell Adept have them. 10 fun rounds with my N7 Fury. On extract two allies go down so I burn a missile to save them. 20 seconds left on the clock and I'm running back as fast as I can, but I'm hurt and a brute gets a lucky swipe on me. Just a few meters short of the LZ with 3-5 seconds left I gel and heavy melee towards the LZ.

Scores come up: I'm alive!. Closest extract ever. The Fury heavy melee travels pretty far.

Before that two easy extracts got me a Valiant VII.

Sai

Valiant V.

Used the Human Soldier for the first time in a while. Surprised to find out that the Avenger is light enough to maintain a 200% cooldown even with the Omni-Blade mod. Still not as fun for dishin' out melee damage as the Batarians though.

I had never played a human soldier before but it is a fun class. This was a really good challenge, I like when they get us to try new things in the game.

1) For one, Mass Effect 1 doesn't run like shit like it does on 360 and PS3. That's a big plus already.

2) You can easily get better than 30 FPS with 1080p if your PC is decent(mine have 8gb ram, quadcore AMD CPU 3.2 ghz and a 560ti, i get 60 FPS almost everywhere), you don't need the latest video card or CPU to run them this good. The games actually run better than fucking WoW, but the game has always been a mystery for me as to why i can't get constant 60 FPS. :lol

3) There is some fanmade mods that can give you higher res on characters, although i guess it might affect performance.

4) Aiming is much easier/faster with a mouse, but that's already a given with shooters on PC.

5) You got 8 shortcuts for powers without needing to use the Power Wheel. I don't think console versions get that much.

The only downside i guess is that they don't come with gamepad support, and that the mouse wheel doesn't even fucking work in ME2. Which sucks... having to click & hold a sidebar to scroll it down on a PC game? The fuck? :p Also, no keyboard shortcuts for menus for ME2/ME3. Have to first go through the main menu to reach the powers menu, journal, options, etc.

Thanks a lot! Do you guys recommend getting the PC version through Steam, through EA's site, or the new physical "trilogy collection" that came out recently? Is there a difference, i.e. does one version have up-to-date patching and another doesn't?

Bisnic

Thanks a lot! Do you guys recommend getting the PC version through Steam, through EA's site, or the new physical "trilogy collection" that came out recently? Is there a difference, i.e. does one version have up-to-date patching and another doesn't?

I suppose the Trilogy package is less expensive than buying each game seperately. You'll need Origin for ME3 to work though, and i guess the Trilogy package will require you to install it anyway.

I'm not sure about up-to-date patching though. I know it did it for ME3 when they released those 2 big bugs fix patches. ME1 and ME2 are already old enough that they don't patch them anymore.

Got the Valkyrie II.

Decided to roll a Female Vanguard on Bronze and joined a game on Wave 5. That was nice and easy.

Then specced out a Male Infiltrator with the Valiant and easily got the highest score on another Bronze map.

Tried Platinum with my Drell Adept and basically got carried to extraction. Wave 3 was target elimination: 4 Banshees. Ridiculous. On Wave 10 I used a missile on a spawn point and got killed by a Banshee right after. The last guy managed to solo a Phantom and two Primes to end the round. I died on the extraction wave but two made it out.

Tsukumo

Guns to me are just tools to balance weird builds. Granted, the shameful amount of bugs somehow limits the scope of the combinations you can make up, but you still have 30+ characters to play around. As far what makes this multi unique:
- it's fast. Looking back I can't bring myself to understand how could I go through 50 waves on Gears
-the shooting is one of a kind. Hit boxes are pretty generous and the combat isn't all about sharpshooting. You can fire your powers in an arc, Wanted style, or through walls. All in all it's a game more suited to out-of-the-box mind process
-in general pugs are capable and social. Still a far cry from japanese users I met on Phantasy star online, but absolutely above and beyond the average user on Gears horde mode. The recent injection of new players seems to have gathered quite a few rotten apples though.
-a weak class can be made effective with a good weapon, a weak weapon can be made effective with a good class. Which is exactly the type of thing you fiddle around with in a great rpg
-balance changes are most times spot-on and the care Bioware is giving to this venture is downright excellent.

Tsukumo

They must be out of ideas outside of adding SP stuff into MP though, there is already so many characters, guns, gear and mods, what else can they do? I'd love to see hazard versions of all the DLC maps in addition of 2 or 3 new maps though. Give us Omega, Illium and Citadel maps Bioware!

they have plenty of races to add plus Eclipse, Blue suns and Blood pack, which given the nature of their composition would be like adding platinum flavour to "lower" difficulties. It would also give some sort of versus feel to the multiplayer without necessarily add versus, a move I'm positive would COMPLETELY destroy the quality of this game.

X-Frame

Warp Ammo IV will do 120% damage to primed targets ... so that mean the damage of your weapon + 120%?

So a 3,000 damage Claymore shot with Warp Ammo IV against a primed target will do 3,000 + 3,600 = 6,600 damage? I have a feeling that's way too high ..

Bisnic

they have plenty of races to add plus Eclipse, Blue suns and Blood pack, which given the nature of their composition would be like adding platinum flavour to "lower" difficulties. It would also give some sort of versus feel to the multiplayer without necessarily add versus, a move I'm positive would COMPLETELY destroy the quality of this game.

Yeah, plenty of races like Geth Vanguard or Salarian Adept or whatever combinations left there is.

And as fun as it would be to fight the 3 groups of mercenaries they introduced in ME2, it wouldn't make any sense considering we recruited them in ME3 after we helped Aria.

exYle

Yeah, plenty of races like Geth Vanguard or Salarian Adept or whatever combinations left there is.

That's not gonna happen. Bioware been pretty good with their lore in MP, and there are no Salarian biotics, let alone synthetic biotics. If they release another character roster, I could see Turian cabals being the new biotics

Bisnic

That's not gonna happen. Bioware been pretty good with their lore in MP, and there are no Salarian biotics, let alone synthetic biotics. If they release another character roster, I could see Turian cabals being the new biotics

I was kinda sarcastic, because i know there isn't much left to add. Although I guess they could put every single races as an Engineer, Soldier, Sentinel or Infiltrator if they wanted to.

have they released what the player base has been lately? I haven't had a hard time finding a match, but I wonder how many people are still playing and if its worthwhile to put more time/money into new maps.

X-Frame

I can tank better with a no-fitness Volus than I can with a raging Krogan, which shows there are a lot of balancing issues with this game.

Krogan in this game still need a serious buff. If they're not going to give them regenerating health like the Vorcha, they need to seriously buff their melee or something and make them incredibly dangerous. A raging, full-melee build Krogan should be able to one-shot melee anything but a true boss enemy like Banshee or Atlas. Dragoons, Phantoms, Collector Captains, all should be simple prey for a raging Krogan heavy melee.

I do think they need regenerating health though. A Krogan should be more survivable and able to draw fire than a Volus but spamming shield boost every 3 seconds plus having 1+ second of invulnerability makes the Volus great tanks.

The SP spent about 1/3rd of the game trying to recruit the Krogan and yet Krogan aren't that common on Gold or Platinum, except for the Vanguard.

Geth spacecraft, like all others, generate mass effect fields. Why not combat platforms? Just saying.

Salarian Biotics exist but are extremely rare and kept off the front lines; a reaper invasion would be an excuse to break that rule.

What I'd like from new kits are Spectres. Just like the Earth DLC added genuine 'N7' designated soldiers, and if sort of 'ultra rare' outliers from accepted soldiering approaches for the various races were added, that would be the perfect context.

Anyhow, rolled some more Platinum matches today, ended up hosting so I got to play Vanguard, woo! Love the Asari Vanguard, no Stasis, Wraith, rocks and rolls.

I can tank better with a no-fitness Volus than I can with a raging Krogan, which shows there are a lot of balancing issues with this game.

Krogan in this game still need a serious buff. If they're not going to give them regenerating health like the Vorcha, they need to seriously buff their melee or something and make them incredibly dangerous. A raging, full-melee build Krogan should be able to one-shot melee anything but a true boss enemy like Banshee or Atlas. Dragoons, Phantoms, Collector Captains, all should be simple prey for a raging Krogan heavy melee.

I do think they need regenerating health though. A Krogan should be more survivable and able to draw fire than a Volus but spamming shield boost every 3 seconds plus having 1+ second of invulnerability makes the Volus great tanks.

The SP spent about 1/3rd of the game trying to recruit the Krogan and yet Krogan aren't that common on Gold or Platinum, except for the Vanguard.

I would welcome a buff to the KroSent, but he definitely doesn't need one. On gold 50+melee kills are easy to come by, and in between he's tanking like a boss, nuking spawns with lift grenades, and killing anything left over with the two biggest meanest weapons he can carry since he gives no fucks about cooldowns.

Buffing his melee against everything but high armor bosses would still leave it a rarely used tactic on platinum, but spawn nuking tanky weapons platform is still beastly, and you can still slap around a few husks or whatever to get some rage DR going.

An-Det

Eagle 5 on xbox and Hurricane 1 on pc (first N7 challenge since I bought it over the Xmas sale). Also finally unlocked the Turian Ghost on xbox, now I just need to start unlocking Cerberus Harriers to go with him.

Sai

Been trying to get that Collector challenge banner, and they've been givin' me the blues, y'all... I tend to stick to Silver for the most part, and I find myself using my consumables more often than I'd like. :/

I would welcome a buff to the KroSent, but he definitely doesn't need one. On gold 50+melee kills are easy to come by, and in between he's tanking like a boss, nuking spawns with lift grenades, and killing anything left over with the two biggest meanest weapons he can carry since he gives no fucks about cooldowns.

Buffing his melee against everything but high armor bosses would still leave it a rarely used tactic on platinum, but spawn nuking tanky weapons platform is still beastly, and you can still slap around a few husks or whatever to get some rage DR going.
They still need regenerating health. Not as ridiculous as the Vorcha, but somethin'...

Just now getting into multiplayer...if I want to be a human soldier do I have to wear that ugly bug-looking helmet the entire time or is there a way to take it off or replace it?

Bisnic

Just now getting into multiplayer...if I want to be a human soldier do I have to wear that ugly bug-looking helmet the entire time or is there a way to take it off or replace it?

You can't change helmets in multiplayer. Just the colors and patterns of your armor and skin color if you are an alien. Aliens do not wear helmets(other than some turians and krogans and quarians/volus of course :p), so you might like them better once you unlock some of them.

Anyway, like most of us, you might not even touch the original human classes anymore once you have unlocked more characters.

You're stuck with it. The only appearance customizations are colors, minor designs (stripe, camo, etc.), and lights. The only time you'll ever really see your character's front in-game is when you're in cover, and you're probably focusing on what's going on around you anyway.

Good to know, thanks. I assume the only way to unlock characters is to play a bunch to get credits and then spend them on the different packs in the store. This will be a long journey haha

I wish I could get the Harrier assault rifle right away. I love it in single player. Looks like all weapons are random loot though :(

Bisnic

Good to know, thanks. I assume the only way to unlock characters is to play a bunch to get credits and then spend them on the different packs in the store. This will be a long journey haha

I wish I could get the Harrier assault rifle right away. I love it in single player. Looks like all weapons are random loot though :(

Everything is random in the packs, characters, weapons, gear, consumables, so yeah. And considering the Harrier is ultra-rare, and ultra-rares are only in the 60k-99k packs, you might not see it for months. My Harrier is still at rank I just to give you an idea and this gun was released back in early summer i think. Although i haven't played seriously since november, so maybe it could have been at rank II now, who knows. :lol I've had more luck with the other ultra-rares.

Everything is random in the packs, characters, weapons, gear, consumables, so yeah. And considering the Harrier is ultra-rare, and ultra-rares are only in the 60k-99k packs, you might not see it for months.

Bummer! Why don't most people use human classes?

Also btw I bought the PC version of ME1 and I must say it looks fantastic. Can't wait to re-live the original (and best?) ME game on my computer.

Bisnic

Bummer! Why don't most people use human classes?

Also btw I bought the PC version of ME1 and I must say it looks fantastic. Can't wait to re-live the original (and best?) ME game on my computer.

Because humans are boring i guess, we've been playing as a human hero since ME1. It's nice to play as a turian, salarian, drell, asari, krogan, etc. etc. for a change. :p

Also, aliens have better/stronger power combinations in general.

Top Bottom