• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

Have just got into playing this with a friend during my series re-play. Wish I'd tried it sooner, this is the best multiplayer I've played in years - incredibly addictive!

Quick question, but is there a consensus on which one of the packs in the store I should be spending my credits on? So far I've bought one of the dirt cheap ones and saved up for one of the expensive, Premium Spectre packs, but still haven't really unlocked anything good. Should I always be saving up for the Premium, or do the cheaper ones offer better bang for your buck?

Since you're just starting out, buy the Recruit packs to max out your Common stuff, then move on to the Veteran packs for all the Uncommon stuff.

Stantron

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll practice doing the slide over cover move using the technique.
By the way, after doing some more experimenting, shooting the crotch plate off an Atlas seems to always stagger it. So I guess if you're going for damage, aim for cockpit/exhaust, but if you want to save a teammate from execution after getting picked up, then aim for the crotch.

So I finally decided to start Mass Effect 3 finally. In the single player I'm still pretty early, I have Garrus, Liara, EDI and am at the point at the school with Jack. I then started reading about multiplayer and it seems like it could be fun. So I downloaded all the map packs and what not. My question is should I stop playing the single player and do some of the multiplayer to gain the war assets or should I just continue on in the campaign and then play multiplayer afterwards? Or does it really matter much? I'll probably be playing multiplayer alone because of my work and other stuff. Is it still fairly fun by yourself? Thanks guys.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So I finally decided to start Mass Effect 3 finally. In the single player I'm still pretty early, I have Garrus, Liara, EDI and am at the point at the school with Jack. I then started reading about multiplayer and it seems like it could be fun. So I downloaded all the map packs and what not. My question is should I stop playing the single player and do some of the multiplayer to gain the war assets or should I just continue on in the campaign and then play multiplayer afterwards? Or does it really matter much? I'll probably be playing multiplayer alone because of my work and other stuff. Is it still fairly fun by yourself? Thanks guys.

The multiplayer is online only, so you have to play "alone" with 3 online strangers/friends.

Sure you can play alone with no other players, but where is the fun in that? :p Half the fun of the multiplayer mode is working as a team with the other players.

And no, you can play single player and multiplayer whenever you want, ever since they released the Extended Cut, you don't need multiplayer anymore to get the extra scene at the end of the campaign(if you picked the "right" choice that is, not spoiling it :p).

X-Frame

I really hope they announce new DLC soon. If they're waiting until March when the ME3 anniversary is that would be a key date but maybe too long from now.

If this is the last DLC then it would make absolutely no sense for them not to bring all the Single Player DLC guns and new characters into MP. All the DLC guns are awesome.

Stantron

I hope they make a storyline excuse/exception to include Protheans into multiplayer. I don't even care if it doesn't make much sense. :) Other than that, single player guns, enemies, female Turians and new maps seem reasonable to expect. Hopefully they also add brand new characters and powers like they did with the Earth DLC.

Montresor

To further what Bisnic said, in case you care about achievements too, you could play around with the silly iPhone app to increase your combat readiness (I forgot exactly what it's called).

N7_Bounty-Weekend-1024x602.jpg
Operation BALLISTIC (Jan 25th-27th)

Event Description: Recon has new estimates on the number of Reaper creatures, and the news is dire. Each of you must inflict as many casualties as possible, and we must destroy husk-creation mechanisms like Dragon’s Teeth. If we fail to accomplish this, we will be even more outnumbered in the coming days.

Individual Goal: Earn any gold weapon medal (Assault Rifle/Heavy Pistol/Shotgun/Sniper Rifle/Submachine Gun).

Reward: Commendation Pack

Easy money.

I kind of want a few more ex-cerberus characters without making it redundant with the Earth DLC characters. Maybe a Nemesis soldier/sentinel or a Phantom that is unique from the N7 Shadow.

New maps and weapons would be great too.

Also, I don't think a Prothean class would be too farfetched since they did introduce Javik in the From Ashes DLC. But I guess story-wise it wouldn't work because he is the last surviving Prothean.

Thanks for the info guys, I'm gonna hop on during my lunch break and see what its all about. Is there any specific class/gun/character when creating my person that seems to have an advantage or is more useful than the others?

Bisnic

Thanks for the info guys, I'm gonna hop on during my lunch break and see what its all about. Is there any specific class/gun/character when creating my person that seems to have an advantage or is more useful than the others?

Since you're going to be a newbie with beginner guns at rank I to start with, it might be better to use a class less dependant on weapons like adepts or engineers. A shit gun at rank I and a godlike gun at rank X isn't going to affect the damage of your powers.

Since you're going to be a newbie with beginner guns at rank I to start with, it might be better to use a class less dependant on weapons like adepts or engineers. A shit gun at rank I and a godlike gun at rank X isn't going to affect the damage of your powers.
Thanks for the info Bisnic, I appreciate it!

Thought I would share my first experience with the multiplayer. I started off with a Human Engineer. I thought I would just go solo in a private lobby by myself just cause I don't like chatting much with other people and whatnot and don't want them to think I'm an asshole. So I tried that. Lol, died the first wave within probably 2 minutes lol, after that I made it to the second wave and quickly died. My first thoughts were, "shit, this is hard as hell". I got I think 3300 xp.

Since it was so difficult I figured it was going to be just too tough as is for me so I searched for a Bronze lobby and fairly quickly got into a match that had just started. It was night and day. Having teammates makes a WORLD of difference. I helped them out best I could being a super low level but we made it all the way to the end and beat the "mission". No one was really talking except this one guy who got downed a few times. So I didn't feel bad for not having my mic in. I ended up getting 176,000 xp. I was like holy shit. I went from level 1 to level 6 in like 15 minutes. It was awesome. I bought a few recruit packs and didn't really get anything too amazing I don't think.

Overall, I had an absolute BLAST in my first online game with it. Really want the work day to be over so I can go play more.

I assume when I unlock characters/classes and I choose them I start back over at Level 0 or is ranking up PER class and characters within said class don't matter?

I bought a few recruit packs and didn't really get anything too amazing I don't think.

Overall, I had an absolute BLAST in my first online game with it. Really want the work day to be over so I can go play more.

I assume when I unlock characters/classes and I choose them I start back over at Level 0 or is ranking up PER class and characters within said class don't matter?

You'll unlock the common items and characters from recruit packs, but you'll also level up the starting weapons as well as classes without playing them.

When you unlock characters, they come with XP too so the whole class (adept, soldier, infiltrator, etc) will gain that. Until you promote a class (when you reach level 20), you do not need to worry about leveling up new characters within that class if the whole class is maxed out.

Bisnic

Thought I would share my first experience with the multiplayer. I started off with a Human Engineer. I thought I would just go solo in a private lobby by myself just cause I don't like chatting much with other people and whatnot and don't want them to think I'm an asshole. So I tried that. Lol, died the first wave within probably 2 minutes lol, after that I made it to the second wave and quickly died. My first thoughts were, "shit, this is hard as hell". I got I think 3300 xp.

Since it was so difficult I figured it was going to be just too tough as is for me so I searched for a Bronze lobby and fairly quickly got into a match that had just started. It was night and day. Having teammates makes a WORLD of difference. I helped them out best I could being a super low level but we made it all the way to the end and beat the "mission". No one was really talking except this one guy who got downed a few times. So I didn't feel bad for not having my mic in. I ended up getting 176,000 xp. I was like holy shit. I went from level 1 to level 6 in like 15 minutes. It was awesome. I bought a few recruit packs and didn't really get anything too amazing I don't think.

You always keep your level with your classes. If your Human Engineer is lvl 15, your newly unlocked Quarian Engineer will also be lvl 15. You won't unlock alien classes with Recruit packs though. Gotta go with the more expensive packs.

The only way to go from max level(20) back to 1 is to choose the Promote option when you're lvl 20, and it will reset your selected class back to 1, reset all powers and points and also gives +10 N7 rating, which is only good for bragging rights, but still, get it in the hundreds before you get kicked by idiots in the higher difficulties who thinks having a high N7 rating actually means anything.

I would gladly help you with games, but i have a feeling you're playing on a console and not PC. :p

Thanks for the info guys. Yea, I'm on console (360). How long does it take to get to level 20 usually? I was kinda shocked I was able to level up to 6 in one match. I assume its like most games though where the later levels take a ton of xp? Also, with my engineer I had the combat drone as a power. Is it worth it to keep upgrading it or should I drop those points elsewhere? It didn't seem like it was doing a whole lot when I used it. I love the incinerate power though.

So looking at my N7 headquarters stuff I have an Uncommon Drell Adept and a Rare Battlefield 3 Soldier. Are "Uncommon" and "Rare" characters better than the common ones? Are either of those guys that I have worth using? Sorry for all the questions.

So looking at my N7 headquarters stuff I have an Uncommon Drell Adept and a Rare Battlefield 3 Soldier. Are "Uncommon" and "Rare" characters better than the common ones? Are either of those guys that I have worth using? Sorry for all the questions.

Most of the characters are perfectly viable, it's more about the playing style and preference. Some of them do require a bit of experience; I wouldn't necessarily recommend a squishy in-your-face class such as N7 Fury or Drell Vanguard for completely new players. There has been some power creep over time and the newer characters tend to be somewhat more flexible/powerful, but pretty much anything goes on Bronze and Silver.

The Drell Adept can be a lot of fun, but he can't take many hits so you have to move and avoid getting flanked (good advice in general). Max Reave with radius, max cluster grenades and watch the pretty explosions.

If you're just starting out, power centered classes may be a better fit than weapon based classes, as naturally you don't have particularly good weapons yet.

Pretty much anything will get you through bronze though.

Oh, and some classes I would consider more powerful than others, but it's not really an 'uncommon' vs 'rare' thing. Just a balance thing.

Bisnic

Well... considering something like 80% of the classes are considered "rare", i guess it's pretty safe to say rare characters are usually better than uncommon and common ones. :p

Melchiah

Did anyone else on PS3 have problems with connections yesterday? I got cut off from the match and menu two times, and one host had the same problem. It took ages to connect to the lobby as well. I was just wondering whether the issue was at my end or not.

BTW, oddly enough when the host got cut off at round 8, all the consumables were back at max when the round restarted. Too bad that still didn't prevent us from losing the Gold match, as all the others died, and I couldn't handle the wave by myself.

Did anyone else on PS3 have problems with connections yesterday? I got cut off from the match and menu two times, and one host had the same problem. It took ages to connect to the lobby as well. I was just wondering whether the issue was at my end or not.

BTW, oddly enough when the host got cut off at round 8, all the consumables were back at max when the round restarted. Too bad that still didn't prevent us from losing the Gold match, as all the others died, and I couldn't handle the wave by myself.

I was having a similar problem on 360 two nights ago. I had a hard time connecting to games and I would get randomly dropped. In a couple of games, the audio was out of sync and laggy (recon mine explosions didn't make a sound).

Also, I think when a waves are restarted, you get your consumables back.

Melchiah

I was having a similar problem on 360 two nights ago. I had a hard time connecting to games and I would get randomly dropped. In a couple of games, the audio was out of sync and laggy (recon mine explosions didn't make a sound).

Also, I think when a waves are restarted, you get your consumables back.

Ah, I didn't remember the consumables were resetted on restart.

I think I've never had so many connection problems during one night, as I had yesterday. I just remembered, that during the restarted match the revival icon stayed on a revived player long after his/hers resurrection.

The weekend mission is done, and I all I got was Eagle VIII.

Bisnic

Ah, I didn't remember the consumables were resetted on restart.

I think I've never had so many connection problems during one night, as I had yesterday. I just remembered, that during the restarted match the revival icon stayed on a revived player long after his/hers resurrection.

The weekend mission is done, and I all I got was Eagle VIII.

Still better than my Eagle II. I really want to give this gun a chance since the few buffs it got, but RNG don't want to.

Don't think I'm gonna be able to get the 75 kill weapon medal. My guns are just too shitty and low level at the moment. My Avenger is only a 3. I just can't dole out enough damage. Tried solo and got my ass handed to me. Guess I'll just have to keep leveling up and hope the next challenge is easy.

Bisnic

Don't think I'm gonna be able to get the 75 kill weapon medal. My guns are just too shitty and low level at the moment. My Avenger is only a 3. I just can't dole out enough damage. Tried solo and got my ass handed to me. Guess I'll just have to keep leveling up and hope the next challenge is easy.

Bronze should be rather easy to solo once you're lvl 20. Even with shitty guns. The operation last until saturday, so you have plenty of time. Get the class or race you have with the most health, boost everything to max your health/shield through the Fitness tree if you need, and you should be fine. At least fine enough to get 75 kills with a gun. Vanguard is also pretty nice for soloing since you can get your shield back to 100% with Biotic Charge and its last evolution. Krogan Vanguard with maxed health/shield is almost invincible. But that might take a while to unlock.

Bronze should be rather easy to solo once you're lvl 20. Even with shitty guns. The operation last until saturday, so you have plenty of time. Get the class or race you have with the most health, boost everything to max your health/shield through the Fitness tree if you need, and you should be fine. At least fine enough to get 75 kills with a gun. Vanguard is also pretty nice for soloing since you can get your shield back to 100% with Biotic Charge and its last evolution. Krogan Vanguard with maxed health/shield is almost invincible. But that might take a while to unlock.

Thanks, I'll try and make sure I max out my health in a class and see if that works. I'm level 16 or 17 Engineer.

Mindlog

Let us know if you still don't have it later. I might be on again Sunday.

Took a Turian Soldier with Hurricane VII. Also joining my game was some Drefilltrator (crap) and a TGI with Cerberus/Scorpion X (double crap.) Also someone else. We started with the friendly trolling, but in the end I was the only one that completed the weekend objective :D

Crusader V :\

Sai

Got a Valiant VI.

[EDIT] - And a Paladin III & Collector SMG II from a couple of PSPs. Surprised I got any URs during a weekend challenge.

X-Frame

This thread on BSN warns that using ammo powers on your weapon may "steal" some of the kills that would otherwise go to your weapon.

I never thought of that. I might go ammo-less until I get this award, or just use an ammo but kill everything in sight, haha.

Melchiah

It's not so much about the gun as the character. I did my mission with Kroguard & Vindicator on solo/Silver. It's a shitty gun, but I wanted the weapon points.

Bisnic

Crusader VIII

23 more weeks to go before maxing everything! :lol

I'm starting to think i will max the Crusader and Valiant before i get another Eagle or even my first Valkyrie.

E1K9DxA.png

I got the Valkyrie, seems like an okay gun.

But I think I'm done with the MP until the next DLC; everything just seems against me whenever I play. When I play alone, I always have to do every objective myself; every enemy shoots at me first, even if the 4 of us are in a group; AI knows where I'm going 100% of the time; pop out for a shot: instantly hit with rocket/GPS/prime/warp/whatever -- uuuuggghh.

The credit system is so screwed in this shit. How the gave a greenlight to only earing credits on waves 3,6, and 10 -- where more than half of your total is earned in w10 -- is fucking unbelievable. And if you don't complete the w10 objective? Congrats on wasting your time! The only decent way to earn a reasonable amount in this shit is to join a Platinum match and run into a glitcher.

Gold is doable with at least one other good player, but the two randoms often don't belong in Gold, with their lvl 2 & 3 weapons and no equipment, and can easily screw over the 2 good players by leading all the heavies right to the objective.

Silver is a waste of time. When you can complete the w6 objective on Gold, die, and still earn more credits in less time than it takes to complete a game of Silver... the system is fucked up.

Payouts blow, across the board. Bronze should get you 25k; Silver: 50k; Gold: 100k; Platinum: 200k. And you should earn credits every fucking wave -- maybe then the game would be worth a damn.

I got the Valkyrie, seems like an okay gun.

But I think I'm done with the MP until the next DLC; everything just seems against me whenever I play. When I play alone, I always have to do every objective myself; every enemy shoots at me first, even if the 4 of us are in a group; AI knows where I'm going 100% of the time; pop out for a shot: instantly hit with rocket/GPS/prime/warp/whatever -- uuuuggghh.

The credit system is so screwed in this shit. How the gave a greenlight to only earing credits on waves 3,6, and 10 -- where more than half of your total is earned in w10 -- is fucking unbelievable. And if you don't complete the w10 objective? Congrats on wasting your time! The only decent way to earn a reasonable amount in this shit is to join a Platinum match and run into a glitcher.

Gold is doable with at least one other good player, but the two randoms often don't belong in Gold, with their lvl 2 & 3 weapons and no equipment, and can easily screw over the 2 good players by leading all the heavies right to the objective.

Silver is a waste of time. When you can complete the w6 objective on Gold, die, and still earn more credits in less time than it takes to complete a game of Silver... the system is fucked up.

Payouts blow, across the board. Bronze should get you 25k; Silver: 50k; Gold: 100k; Platinum: 200k. And you should earn credits every fucking wave -- maybe then the game would be worth a damn.

Or the game shouldn't have been built around a bonkers mystery box unlocking scheme.

But if you're at a place where the matches aren't fun and you're just playing to get credits, probably a good time to step away.

Got the Valkyrie III.

I was actually using a Vorcha Soldier with a Katana on Bronze against Geth. Got to Wave 6 where I had to activate 4 things which was a PITA with all the rockets/bombs flying around. With about 30 seconds left I realized I didn't have to complete the objective to get the weekend challenge so I got the 75 kills before time ran out.

X-Frame

I really don't understand the melee damage multipliers between some classes.

How is it that classes like Krogan and Batarian's get a penalty to armored enemies and no bonuses, whereas classes like the Asari Huntress gets a 1.5x multiplier to barriers, shields, and armor?!

Full spec a Huntress for melee and she goes over 5,000 damage per orgasm to shields/barriers/armor, whereas a fully specced Krogan Soldier will have to use Strength Enhancer 3 just to get over 5,000 for barriers/shields but still due to their penalty they're under 4,000 to armor.

That's pretty dumb. Krogan's should be done like 7-8,000+ to all types of damage. A fully-specced Krogan Soldier/Sentinel for melee should be a walking bulldozer.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I really don't understand the melee damage multipliers between some classes.

How is it that classes like Krogan and Batarian's get a penalty to armored enemies and no bonuses, whereas classes like the Asari Huntress gets a 1.5x multiplier to barriers, shields, and armor?!

Full spec a Huntress for melee and she goes over 5,000 damage per orgasm to shields/barriers/armor, whereas a fully specced Krogan Soldier will have to use Strength Enhancer 3 just to get over 5,000 for barriers/shields but still due to their penalty they're under 4,000 to armor.

That's pretty dumb. Krogan's should be done like 7-8,000+ to all types of damage. A fully-specced Krogan Soldier/Sentinel for melee should be a walking bulldozer.

They do get ridiculous damage reduction though and they're a LOT faster AND they come with skills that directly buff their survivability in melee situations where as the Asari and just about everyone else become free targets during their melee animations.

Is there any reason to bring my galactic readiness to 100% if I have the extended cut?

I'm at the last mission and would like to finish, but would have to play several multiplayer missions if I want to max it out. Is it worth it?

Top Bottom