• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

Been pretty unstoppable with my Juggernaut, beat some platinum with my friends.

...Until we did Collector Gold. Praetorians don't give a shit, their melee carves up my shields in no time. I can hold off two banshees and a few brutes up close all at once but one Praetorian will wreck me

I did a plat match with pubs, Reaper/Glacier, there was 3 of us playing Geth Juggernaut and an AIU. It was the easiest plat match I have ever played. For the non objective waves I just planted myself in a corner and kept throwing down shields. I bring a gun that gives me a 200% cooldown now, the geth rifle, and I can keep 2 shields up constantly. Everything dies before it can even touch me. It is such a fun way to play.

X-Frame

BSN is getting pretty annoying to visit since every other thread is someone crying about the AIU. While I understand where they are coming from, let BioWare do their testing and they will decide what to do. I just don't want them to give the AIU the "Krysae" treatment and take a god weapon and turn it into a pile of crap over night.

BSN is getting pretty annoying to visit since every other thread is someone crying about the AIU. While I understand where they are coming from, let BioWare do their testing and they will decide what to do. I just don't want them to give the AIU the "Krysae" treatment and take a god weapon and turn it into a pile of crap over night.

I cant stand reading the people complaining about things being OP. It is a fucking co-op game, it isnt competitive. They should make the classes fun to play and not worry so much about is class A better then B. I wish they would make more classes OP, I want to do solo plat runs.

There seems to be some kind of glitch with the Talon.
Only 3 proximity mines are meant to be active at any time, but in the last game I played, the old inactive mines werent disappearing, after I laid new ones, so I had red lasers everywhere (5 or 6 at once) and I couldnt tell what areas I had defended. Pretty annoying.
Still, the Talon is my favorite looking male character. That Zaeed armor is so nice

Woorloog

Banned
Been playing with Batarian Soldier.

ohmygoshitsdamnpowerful.

Incredibly powerful: A lot of health, a lot of DPS with SMG and Ballistic Blades. At least on Silver. Gotta try this on Gold.

alliance infiltrator is the best of the new characters. on my first go with a claymore x I got 142k points, double what the next guy got. shes a walking death machine.

Tsukumo

I cant stand reading the people complaining about things being OP. It is a fucking co-op game, it isnt competitive. They should make the classes fun to play and not worry so much about is class A better then B. I wish they would make more classes OP, I want to do solo plat runs.

The problem with weapons/characters being OP stems from the fact that they trivialize the higher difficulties and that they foster inexperienced, uncooperative players into extremely detrimental habits: not using medi-gels, shooting at the same thing every one is already shooting at, not participating in the objectives, not rescuing teammates (why bother, when it's a given you can run an entire 11 waves by yourself).
This is why Gold matches full of infiltrators, Kroguards, geth soldiers and N7 characters start like speed-runs for the first 4 or 5 waves, and then turn into full scale fail in the 6th wave where all players drop like flies.
I'm with you when it comes to score issues, but the fact is exactly because this is a co-op game no character should be able to face on his own a game supposed to be challenging for four.
The reason why missions fail is always the same: every new-comer, casual player wants to be top-score out of the blue, so instead of being tactical about positioning and which enemy to target first, they just shoot at the next big thing about to go down.
So you have teammates who keep by themselves with their harrier X until they can, then kite Banshees and Pretorians to the other players when they chicken shit.
And when this happens, lo and behold, instead of taking care of their own mess they start shooting at the Atlas the other players spent 5 minutes tearing down.
This a great game (MP) where awareness based on experience and synergy between equipment and characters' skill do the talking: OP characters and OP weapons turn it into a joke and make it look like the usual after-thought, unbalanced MP you find in just about every 3rd person shooter title nowadays.

The problem with weapons/characters being OP stems from the fact that they trivialize the higher difficulties and that they foster inexperienced, uncooperative players into extremely detrimental habits: not using medi-gels, shooting at the same thing every one is already shooting at, not participating in the objectives, not rescuing teammates (why bother, when it's a given you can run an entire 11 waves by yourself).
This is why Gold matches full of infiltrators, Kroguards, geth soldiers and N7 characters start like speed-runs for the first 4 or 5 waves, and then turn into full scale fail in the 6th wave where all players drop like flies.
I'm with you when it comes to score issues, but the fact is exactly because this is a co-op game no character should be able to face on his own a game supposed to be challenging for four.
The reason why missions fail is always the same: every new-comer, casual player wants to be top-score out of the blue, so instead of being tactical about positioning and which enemy to target first, they just shoot at the next big thing about to go down.
So you have teammates who keep by themselves with their harrier X until they can, then kite Banshees and Pretorians to the other players when they chicken shit.
And when this happens, lo and behold, instead of taking care of their own mess they start shooting at the Atlas the other players spent 5 minutes tearing down.
This a great game (MP) where awareness based on experience and synergy between equipment and characters' skill do the talking: OP characters and OP weapons turn it into a joke and make it look like the usual after-thought, unbalanced MP you find in just about every 3rd person shooter title nowadays.

While I generally agree with your points, you have to remember that whether or not they're using OP weapons or characters, almost all new and casual players would not know how to handle the situations you highlighted anyway. Shit, even some experienced players fail at those same things.

I think if I'm going to do a public Gold game and some inexperienced/more casual players are playing, I'd rather them use the OP character/weaponry and at least try to hold their own than using a Novaguard with a Javelin or something.

I just wish there was a better way to unlock stuff than doing a billion matches. One of my friends recently got ME3 and wanted to do the multiplayer with me and is completely overwhelmed by how much there is to unlock. I would be all for total rebalancing to the point that nothing is OP, but given how much shit there is to unlock and how little credits you get in comparison to how much you can unlock, I think having an OP build or two for people who aren't so hardcore isn't such a bad thing.

Or maybe Bioware should make it easier to get what you want out of packs, I dunno.

exYle

New Op: http://blog.bioware.com/2013/02/28/operation-impact/

Operation: IMPACT (Mar 1st-3rd)

Event Description: Recent losses have prompted us to incorporate troop reinforcements from unorthodox sources. These teammates were selected for their insight into anti-Reaper tactics. Integrating their techniques is a mission-critical objective.

Individual Goal: Extract on any difficulty while playing as a Reckoning kit.

Reward: Commendation Pack

They had mics.

Yeah, I don't understand players who do that. Were they trying to level up their characters and needed as many points as possible?

Whenever I'm on Gold matches and somebody 'hogs' all the points, more power to them. That means my contribution is minimal (pick off enemies and not get dropped), and I'll get the same amount of credits at the end of the match.

Any Cabal tips. I can't figure her out at all.

Use her on silver matches, her poison attacks are only efective against non shielded enemies which are none in harder difficulties.

Her poison strike is useful for hit and run, her stym packs are great for surviving an inminent boss attack, Her posion claws are pretty good for crowd control too bad you have to be very close to use it efficiently.

Use her on silver matches, her poison attacks are only efective against non shielded enemies which are none in harder difficulties.

Her poison strike is useful for hit and run, her stym packs are great for surviving an inminent boss attack, Her posion claws are pretty good for crowd control too bad you have to be very close to use it efficiently.

I'm not sure if you're suggesting she's not useable on gold, because I was doing fine with her there. My use of her relies upon the fact that her poison strike is used only occasionally for traversal, and rarely as a primary form of attack. Her nightshade blades are great, to get the best mileage out of them spam a couple at a tightly packed group. I use the majority of her cooldowns on biotic focus (make sure to take biotic shield). My biggest point of uncertainty is how to equip her. I've had decent results with the Wraith and Hurricane, but I'm thinking she might be able to handle a heavier weapon like a Harrier. All in all though, her mobility and sturdiness make her pretty awesome, I'd say. She's not as explosive as the Sex-bot, but she seems like a really cool kit.

Mindlog

Spent my last one and a quarter million credits. Four Ultra Rares! Spitfire X and Venom X. Now I'm broke. Feels weird not having a bunch of credits anymore.

The Venom + Talon Engineer is a wonderful combination. Venom stagger buys time to plant cain mines. Cain mines devastate everything.

Only got one Cabal round in, but it was really fun playing with a Batarian Soldier partner. Inferno grenade then Venom Strike creates a ton of explosions.

Also, the ADAS is a very under-rated weapon. While it does crap against armor it staggers everything. With a rapid fire kit nothing gets close to you. Not a UR class weapon, but a much stronger rare than people give it credit for. My favorite rare assault rifle.

Well the weekend op just got difficult for me since I have 0 credits. :lol

I guess the easiest way to do it is with Gold/Plat matches and Reserve packs?

EekTheKat

A well played Juggernaut pretty much opens up the Platinum for their teammates. All you really have to do is follow one around and kill while they tank.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Well the weekend op just got difficult for me since I have 0 credits. :lol

I guess the easiest way to do it is with Gold/Plat matches and Reserve packs?
I thought everybody got a free character from the new DLC the first time they log on?

A well played Juggernaut pretty much opens up the Platinum for their teammates. All you really have to do is follow one around and kill while they tank.

Is there a decided best way to spec him. I think I made a mistake ignoring the drop shield, my shields depleted pretty quick on gold when i ran into a cerburs turret and phantom when I got careless.

Mindlog

I'm pro-balance, but having a hard time understanding why people are so opposed to Repair Matrix. It doesn't help vets much because they rarely die more than 6 times anyway. It saves medi-gel... so? It also revives you immediately after being downed. That's a recipe for trouble. I use it for the speed bonus more than anything else. I could easily spec out of it and go full fitness/melee for more shotgun damage.
Hrm.

Having an even harder time understanding why cain mines aren't being critiqued. The power point bug helps make speccing even easier. Ignore the bow and blow everything up.

Damage: 3270/4905/4905/7357.5
(health/shields/barrier/armor)

And spammable @_@

All the complaining is going to buff a bunch of stuff that's secretly really powerful.
Is there a decided best way to spec him. I think I made a mistake ignoring the drop shield, my shields depleted pretty quick on gold when i ran into a cerburs turret and phantom when I got careless.
This build is nearly invincible.
From this platinum solo thread.

Mine is a little different because I like to have a lower cool-down to spam Siege Pulse.

EekTheKat

IMHO, the turret is the weak link in his talent trees. Shields - Defense - leftovers on offense, then call it a day.

He's a total tank/support character though, not really a high scoring one. The Juggernaut can keep sync kill bosses busy and out of play - which pretty much leaves your teammates to clean up.

With the juggernaut as a Tank it will open new ways to use uncommon classes to pass trough Platinum pretty easy. Hell I think the juggernaut is more op than the auto repair Fembot.

I'm not sure if you're suggesting she's not useable on gold, because I was doing fine with her there. My use of her relies upon the fact that her poison strike is used only occasionally for traversal, and rarely as a primary form of attack. Her nightshade blades are great, to get the best mileage out of them spam a couple at a tightly packed group. I use the majority of her cooldowns on biotic focus (make sure to take biotic shield). My biggest point of uncertainty is how to equip her. I've had decent results with the Wraith and Hurricane, but I'm thinking she might be able to handle a heavier weapon like a Harrier. All in all though, her mobility and sturdiness make her pretty awesome, I'd say. She's not as explosive as the Sex-bot, but she seems like a really cool kit.

I dont like her for gold.

She is mostly designed always to spam Biotic focus with SMGs sp I re spec her to avoid the pioson strike and focus in her other talents. for weapons use the Hurricane and the Reegar shotgun.

I'm pro-balance, but having a hard time understanding why people are so opposed to Repair Matrix. It doesn't help vets much because they rarely die more than 6 times anyway. It saves medi-gel... so? It also revives you immediately after being downed. That's a recipe for trouble. I use it for the speed bonus more than anything else. I could easily spec out of it and go full fitness/melee for more shotgun damage.
Hrm.

Just to play devil's advocate here a bit, I think there's a missing piece to that point. Veterans usually avoid going down frequently because they've learned how far they can push the limits of aggressive play, and this ability allows them to push it much further, at least in theory. I can certainly say that there are times when I play her that I'll stay in a situation longer than I would with other kits, choosing to pop a repair matrix so I can keep killing. You're certainly right though, that it can cause bigger problems than it solves in some circumstances.

All that being said though, I feel like the Turian Ghost allows me to do the exact same thing with his Stim Packs. I also think she would still be one of the best kits in the game even if repair matrix simply had the revive functionality omitted; I'm not sure if that means it should stay ('she's overpowered either way') or go ('well we have to do something!'), but the bigger reality is that this late in the game, any changes will have to work within the limits of what they can do without a patch, and fundamentally altering the nature of the power is unlikely to be among those things. Personally I think lowering the power's duration would be a reasonable approach, as a 20 second window of free revival doesn't require much in the way of planning on the player's part.

The most important thing, I think, is to consider the purpose of any balancing efforts, which in my estimation in the context of a cooperative game is to maintain diversity. If a kit is so powerful that it is used in wildly disproportionate frequency to all others, then that is a good indicator that it should be addressed. We saw that happen to the Destroyer, who at one point accounted for something like 20% of all usage. Amusingly, he seems pretty damned tame now after Retaliation and Reckoning.

In order to make that determination, Bioware will just have to watch the numbers. If two weeks from now there are 2 Sex-bots in every match, then there's a big problem. If the numbers aren't massively out of proportion, then the rest doesn't really matter.

EekTheKat

Wow...it just hit me on how to make the Alliance Infiltrator Unit play with a high risk/high reward playstyle. And it's surprisingly fun.

Her actual moveset is extremely melee friendly - her melee attack is super fast, and her backflip dodge is designed to get her out of melee range super fast, and it seems to take her just to the edge of a Banshee bubble explosion.

X-Frame

IMHO, the turret is the weak link in his talent trees. Shields - Defense - leftovers on offense, then call it a day.

He's a total tank/support character though, not really a high scoring one. The Juggernaut can keep sync kill bosses busy and out of play - which pretty much leaves your teammates to clean up.

Seriously, he's like a Decoy 10.0. Platinum is very very VERY easy with a competent Juggernaut with you to draw all the aggro. Then just have 3 teammates with DPS and CC and everything goes down so easily.

I like the build with the 5 in the Geth Turret, and 3 in the Hex Shield, as the shield most of the time is good for soft cover but a lot of times it can just get in the way of teammates who end up blasting through it in seconds anyway. The Geth Turret you can at least place in a safe spot to do it's shield restoring for teammates and it won't die every 3 seconds.

EekTheKat

Seriously, he's like a Decoy 10.0. Platinum is very very VERY easy with a competent Juggernaut with you to draw all the aggro. Then just have 3 teammates with DPS and CC and everything goes down so easily.

I like the build with the 5 in the Geth Turret, and 3 in the Hex Shield, as the shield most of the time is good for soft cover but a lot of times it can just get in the way of teammates who end up blasting through it in seconds anyway. The Geth Turret you can at least place in a safe spot to do it's shield restoring for teammates and it won't die every 3 seconds.

I'm thinking about dumping the turret altogether, and get the Hex Shield offense 10% team buff, the Pulse defense buff, max shields, and max drain.

Plat is basically a DPS check, and if the team buff works out it should synchronize extremely well with a debuff character.

Plan B would be to dump the passive bonuses for weapons and go all out tank/support. Need to take another look at the talent trees again, because I think the hex shield buff can offset the loss of some passive bonuses(?) in exchange for a basic turret.

Xanathus

What Jugg strategy and build are people using for gold/platinum
Spec for maximum survivability, sit in a choke point and hold down the heavy melee button. It makes even platinum a joke because no one needs to even kite anymore. I think the shield drain needs a nerf.

Mindlog

*Great Post*
Agreed on most counts. Stim Packs are better at pushing my survivability than Repair Matrix*. Since I normally pub I really don't mind a power that allows players revive themselves occasionally. Most pub players don't have a lot of medi-gel.

The most important thing, I think, is to consider the purpose of any balancing efforts, which in my estimation in the context of a cooperative game is to maintain diversity.
Definitely agree with this. However, I believe the Geth Juggernaut is going to be a much larger problem. Right now I'm seeing Juggernauts far more than any other class. Almost every game. If someone told me the frequency was similar to pre-nerf Infiltrators I wouldn't be surprised.
Wow...it just hit me on how to make the Alliance Infiltrator Unit play with a high risk/high reward playstyle. And it's surprisingly fun.

Her actual moveset is extremely melee friendly - her melee attack is super fast, and her backflip dodge is designed to get her out of melee range super fast, and it seems to take her just to the edge of a Banshee bubble explosion.
That's my plan as well. Might be able to try this weekend.

Time to find out what the OP is.

*Counterpoint. I guess I never really tried getting silly with it yet. I played it like I normally play Infiltrators.

Sill4

How is everybody using the Collector? I've seen some spec for particle rifle, and some for power.

What order are his biotics best used? i know swarms will detonate a dark channel primed enemy. Does the Spirit Bomb prime enemies as well?

Chocobro

Man the games I had tonight were pretty fun. Tried the Krogan Warlord on Geth Silver, so much fun to OHK the small units. Later I jumped into Gold with the AIU+claymore and completed a few games. I need to give the Geth Jugg another try with a new build. Still didn't try the Talon mercenary and Cabal vanguard.

I choked in this one game... :( Everyone got sync-killed at the beginning of wave 7 so I had to put on the one-man show. I killed everything without going down and in the end I had to 1v1 a Banshee and when I got her down to 2 bars of armor, she friggin teleported next to me and automatically sync-killed me ;___;

So to make up for my failure I jumped into another gold game. I had everyone's back, every time someone went down, I ran to revive them; getting me at least more than 20+ revives. The dude with the mic thanked me frequently. Concentrating fire on mobs and checking if any enemies are flanking us while I reload.

This reminds me of how much I enjoy playing the multiplayer.

Mindlog

How is everybody using the Collector? I've seen some spec for particle rifle, and some for power.

What order are his biotics best used? i know swarms will detonate a dark channel primed enemy. Does the Spirit Bomb prime enemies as well?
Out of sight:
Swarms
Heavy Melee (if you have it)

Then:
Dark Sphere
Dark Channel

Dark Sphere does prime everything in its radius. The DoT on it is pretty strong so you don't always have to detonate it. Strong class.

So teammates can shoot/destroy the shield? I need to try a different build. What do people use as a gun? I was thinking about the typhoon, he's too slow to go to a low ammo count gun

*sigh*

I predict a EDI and Geth Juggernaut nerf in the next 1-2 weeks. Going to play with them now as theyre both such fun characters. But i know after Bioware nerfs a weapon/character they both become pretty useless...

The people on the Bioware forums complain non stop about how things are "too powerful" - then get mad when bioware nerfs them as they read those fukn forums. They should just shut up and let us all play and stop boasting that as soon as someone can solo platinum with a new kit that its "OP" - it could just be player skill?

The nerfs which killed weapons for me have been the Typhoon, Krysae and Acolyte

Top Bottom